314 (46.3%)
Decent
98 (14.5%)
Meh
41 (6%)
Disappointing
41 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 647

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on DT12?  (Read 154300 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: What are your thoughts on DT12?
« Reply #1155 on: June 10, 2014, 05:59:56 AM »
I like DT12 but I don't listen to it much. I'd say it's their 8th or 9th best album

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #1156 on: June 10, 2014, 02:48:19 PM »
This is probably a really weird thought, but I feel like the lack of an album title sacrificed the album of some personality. Like an album title gives you an initial vibe and kind of feel for the album... But "Dream Theater," being a name we've known for so long, doesn't really have any resonance or meaning besides the whole "redefining ourselves" thing when it comes to an album title. It just kind of feels like a collection of songs more than an album (but that's going a bit far).
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1157 on: June 10, 2014, 02:49:59 PM »
This is probably a really weird thought, but I feel like the lack of an album title sacrificed the album of some personality. Like an album title gives you an initial vibe and kind of feel for the album... But "Dream Theater," being a name we've known for so long, doesn't really have any resonance or meaning besides the whole "redefining ourselves" thing when it comes to an album title. It just kind of feels like a collection of songs more than an album (but that's going a bit far).

Not A weird thought at all.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1158 on: June 10, 2014, 05:01:07 PM »

I don't agree with your last thought but otherwise I think that you are spot on.  Having a title really gives you something to latch onto, it evokes images and memories, and while I am not against what they did by self-titling it, I would have rather they come up with something to set it more apart. 

I think possibly, a part of them wanted to avoid the backlash of having what many perceived to be a horrible album title with the last album.   I was included in the list of people who thought that but it is kind of interesting that the title is rarely talked about as being horrible anymore.  It's kind of grown on me even though I still don't like it per say. 

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1159 on: June 10, 2014, 08:24:41 PM »
It should've been called The Guiding Light or something else of optical nature.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1160 on: June 10, 2014, 09:37:25 PM »

I don't think naming their album after a soap opera would have been a wise choice.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1161 on: June 10, 2014, 10:46:57 PM »

I don't think naming their album after a soap opera would have been a wise choice.

Unless it was....

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1162 on: June 11, 2014, 04:15:17 AM »
With the exception of the precedent of The Beatles and Metallica, I always think that a self titled album (even debut) is a big missed opportunity.   I enjoy the cleverness and originality of an album title and its concept.  The self-titled route is safe and ho-hum.    Having said that, I understand the statement that DT was trying to make with DT12 -- still it leaves  much room to be desired (and some interesting artwork would not have hurt either).

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1163 on: June 11, 2014, 02:06:11 PM »

Blech, I knew that sounded familiar. Oh well, some other reinforcement of the optical motif then.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1164 on: June 11, 2014, 03:52:51 PM »

I'm outing Zook right here.  We all know he watched soap operas. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1165 on: June 11, 2014, 04:33:46 PM »
MY MOM DID, NOT ME

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1166 on: June 11, 2014, 08:17:03 PM »
MY MOM DID, NOT ME

My grandmother did while I doing homework! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1167 on: June 11, 2014, 08:28:35 PM »
Same for me I think. When I did catch it, it seemed quite normal and wasn't like all the stereotypes of saop operas. Of course, that was more than 10 years ago, shit maybe 15. It probably has aliens in it now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1168 on: June 12, 2014, 07:22:03 AM »
I don't think it is still on the air.

I could be wrong.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1169 on: June 12, 2014, 08:53:17 AM »
I don't think it is still on the air.

I could be wrong.

It's not, went off the air in 2009.

And yes, I spent a decent chunk of my morning thus far reading about Guiding Light.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1170 on: June 12, 2014, 09:35:41 AM »
Thanks hefdaddy for the facts!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1171 on: June 12, 2014, 11:18:07 AM »
Thanks hefdaddy for the facts!
:tup

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #1172 on: June 12, 2014, 06:31:15 PM »
With the exception of the precedent of The Beatles and Metallica, I always think that a self titled album (even debut) is a big missed opportunity.   I enjoy the cleverness and originality of an album title and its concept.  The self-titled route is safe and ho-hum.    Having said that, I understand the statement that DT was trying to make with DT12 -- still it leaves  much room to be desired (and some interesting artwork would not have hurt either).

My thoughts exactly, put into better words  :tup

Offline fsh3702

• 爱梦剧院、爱数理化、爱吉他、爱mount&blade
« Reply #1173 on: June 12, 2014, 06:43:41 PM »
I like every song except the enemy inside. I always skip this song when i'm listening. Personally for this album I prefer surrender to reason the most. Actually this album gives me a feeling that both DT and I are rejuvenated.
F=ma
E=mc2=hν
▽E=-dB/dt
1h2/2m▽2ψ+Uψ=Eψ

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1174 on: June 12, 2014, 07:12:44 PM »
I like every song except the enemy inside. I always skip this song when i'm listening. Personally for this album I prefer surrender to reason the most. Actually this album gives me a feeling that both DT and I are rejuvenated.

It was a slow grower for me.  I was VERY cold on Enemy when I first heard it.  But it eventually grew on me the more I listened.  Knowing they were going to be playing it on tour, I made an effort to really listen to it actively and really gained an appreciation for it.  And then hearing them launch into it during soundcheck before the San Francisco show...hearing JP's monster guitar tone rattle my teeth and the whole deal, it just took it to another level.  I really like it now.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1175 on: June 12, 2014, 08:06:43 PM »
The whole album was a slow grower, from really meh to "Hey this is pretty good!"
Then it faded back into the shadows of mediocrity IMO

Offline m0hawk

« Reply #1176 on: June 12, 2014, 08:38:05 PM »
The whole album was a slow grower, from really meh to "Hey this is pretty good!"

Yeahhh, same here. I wonder what the band NOW thinks of it. They were so proud of it initially. Do you think they feel the same now?

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1177 on: June 12, 2014, 08:42:07 PM »
I think it's always difficult to tell how an artist feels about their work. Pink Floyd hates Atom Heart Mother for example.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1178 on: June 13, 2014, 12:19:12 PM »

Yeahhh, same here. I wonder what the band NOW thinks of it. They were so proud of it initially. Do you think they feel the same now?
Why wouldn't they?

I love it!!! So do many others! So I can't imagine the band feeling any different about it.

Unless they find out how you feel about it of course.  :|
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:28:08 PM by Tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1179 on: June 15, 2014, 08:22:47 AM »

I sometimes wonder that in general. Imagine having to play the same tunes for the next two decades. It must be hard to generate any kind of excitement for some of the tunes.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1180 on: June 16, 2014, 12:55:52 PM »

I sometimes wonder that in general. Imagine having to play the same tunes for the next two decades. It must be hard to generate any kind of excitement for some of the tunes.

As far as playing live, I totally agree with you. How do you keep passion is playing the same small crop of songs over and over and over, hundreds of times!
I guess the answer would be...nice paycheck and it beats many alternatives.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1181 on: June 16, 2014, 01:25:56 PM »
You keep the passion for the sake of the fans.  Playing with enthusiasm and striving for perfection every time.  The paycheck isn't the priority, the fans are because without them there is no paycheck.  I like what Neal Peart said in the Rush Doc Behind The Lighted Stage.  "People ask me, don't you ever get tired of playing Tom Sawyer?  No, because it's difficult to play and everytime I play it right, it makes me feel good."  :)
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1182 on: June 16, 2014, 01:31:02 PM »
You keep the passion for the sake of the fans.  Playing with enthusiasm and striving for perfection every time.  The paycheck isn't the priority, the fans are because without them there is no paycheck.  I like what Neal Peart said in the Rush Doc Behind The Lighted Stage.  "People ask me, don't you ever get tired of playing Tom Sawyer?  No, because it's difficult to play and everytime I play it right, it makes me feel good."  :)
That's true. The challenging level of difficulty of the songs has to make it rewarding.

Offline mirko_metal_88

« Reply #1183 on: June 16, 2014, 03:38:16 PM »
I was listening to it just a few hours ago (after some months from the last time)...still love it, more than before...except for mangini's work (and sound) and, sometimes, i can't stand bass distortion too.

not perfect, but surely very strong...their best record since TOT, imho

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: June 16, 2014, 05:09:27 PM »
More like "bass growl" and about time.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #1185 on: June 16, 2014, 07:54:50 PM »
Bass fuzz?

Whatever you wanna call it, I get excited when I can actually hear the bass at all so I say crank up the fuzz on the bass.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1186 on: June 17, 2014, 02:44:25 AM »
I think it's one of the less good DT albums, big downgrade from ADTOE in my opinion. JR once again is just there, JP overwhelms the sound and James' vocals are so processed that it doesn't sound that good.

It's not bad or anything, i just feel like it's a bit of a generic album, DT by the numbers if you will, nothing exciting and i don't get the "DT feel" i used to get on other albums, only parts of Surrender To Reason and Illumination Theory make me feel this way, overall i think it's not that great.

Maybe i had great expectations due to it being a self titled album and Mike being there for the whole process, and the album didn't end up meeting my expectations.

Hopefully the next album will be something different and bring DT a little out of their comfort zone, so they can create something interesting (and let JR unfold his talent more).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1187 on: June 17, 2014, 05:02:53 AM »
I could go for a less heavy overall DT album like Octavarium.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1188 on: June 17, 2014, 06:41:22 AM »
Bass fuzz?

Whatever you wanna call it, I get excited when I can actually hear the bass at all so I say crank up the fuzz on the bass.

Oh yeah, I love that gritty sounding bass that punches through the mix on DT12! Which is interesting because I typically gravitate towards full, rich warm sounding bass; not so much punchy, fuzzy bass.  But in this case it works extremely well.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #1189 on: June 17, 2014, 11:56:40 AM »
The Enemy Inside happened be the only one I've consistently liked from the beginning. I think it's because I remember wanting DT12 to have a much heavier, darker feel. Like something with a bit more edge than ADTOE. And TEI really took the cake for that and I loved it.

Then The Looking Glass comes in and I'm like "oh"  :lol