314 (46.3%)
Decent
98 (14.5%)
Meh
41 (6%)
Disappointing
41 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 647

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on DT12?  (Read 154302 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: What are your thoughts on DT12?
« Reply #1120 on: January 17, 2014, 10:33:38 PM »
WTF is going on here? :lol
I don't see how that post is very different from something you'd see any given Bieber fan post in response to criticism. Just because someone doesn't like every single second of music a band has produced doesn't mean that person isn't a huge fan and doesn't appreciate their music. You can't just assume everything DT has made is flawless because DT made it. Bliiiiind faith, we have in you...
This.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1121 on: January 17, 2014, 11:06:53 PM »
U mad bro?

Yes. Yes we are

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1122 on: January 18, 2014, 12:02:53 AM »
WTF is going on here? :lol
I don't see how that post is very different from something you'd see any given Bieber fan post in response to criticism. Just because someone doesn't like every single second of music a band has produced doesn't mean that person isn't a huge fan and doesn't appreciate their music. You can't just assume everything DT has made is flawless because DT made it. Bliiiiind faith, we have in you...
This.

Thisē.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1123 on: January 18, 2014, 03:06:10 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1124 on: January 18, 2014, 03:08:42 AM »
:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1125 on: January 18, 2014, 03:17:47 AM »
:lolpalm:

In all seriousness, I do like DT12.  It still hasn't quite clicked with me in the way that DT's other albums have, and nothing on it really blows me away, but it's consistently very good.
Same here, but it's one of my least favourite DT albums.

Do the people there care much about playing ability, 'cause.... We have none.
Nope, they don't!

BANG AND THE DIRT IS GONE.
:lol

Lucidity is right though. But I'm not quoting him because I don't want to create one of the seven Wonders of the Ancient World.

*snip*

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #1126 on: January 18, 2014, 03:28:25 AM »
I'm with the first girl and i love DT12 & Mangini so I'm going out for buying some gear, Goodbye *in LaBrie's voice*  :xbones

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1127 on: January 18, 2014, 03:44:55 AM »
I'm also with the first, but you know, you can overdo it... :P

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1128 on: January 18, 2014, 05:15:58 AM »
This thread has just become the Post-Post-Funny Stuffcore Thread.

Offline olddtfan51@gmail.com

« Reply #1129 on: January 18, 2014, 03:22:40 PM »
Yesss the HD version brings the joy back. Now why the hell couldn't they do that with the CD.  :metal :)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1130 on: June 03, 2014, 05:35:38 AM »
Got tired of it then went back to it. A few times! My opinion has fluctuated a lot on this one.

Dodgy drum sounds and compression aside, if I omit False Awakening Suite (Pointless, lifeless, forgettable), Bigger Picture (A song about struggling to be a music producer. Hmm... Fitting but not inspiring.) Behind The Veil (Yaaaaaaaaaawn - this may be the dullest DT chorus ever.) and Illumination Theory (V nearly but not quite great with them hammy lyrics and orchestra break. Amazing vocals, tho.) I really enjoy it.

Enemy Inside, Looking Glass and Enigma Machine would have blown me away had the drum sounds/mastering/mix been different.

That's where it sits for me right now. Quite favourably.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1131 on: June 03, 2014, 06:53:46 AM »
Got tired of it then went back to it. A few times! My opinion has fluctuated a lot on this one.

Dodgy drum sounds and compression aside, if I omit False Awakening Suite (Pointless, lifeless, forgettable), Bigger Picture (A song about struggling to be a music producer. Hmm... Fitting but not inspiring.) Behind The Veil (Yaaaaaaaaaawn - this may be the dullest DT chorus ever.) and Illumination Theory (V nearly but not quite great with them hammy lyrics and orchestra break. Amazing vocals, tho.) I really enjoy it.

Enemy Inside, Looking Glass and Enigma Machine would have blown me away had the drum sounds/mastering/mix been different.

Interesting opinions of the specific songs on the album... I'd say that The Bigger Picture, Behind the Veil and Illumination Theory are the songs that, at this point, have had the most staying power for me.  When I go back and listen to DT12, I still try to listen to the entire album front to back, but if I only have time for certain songs, those are the ones I usually spin.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1132 on: June 05, 2014, 02:42:13 AM »

Pretty much this!

I remember back when DT12 was released, i had one of the most negative opinions of this album. I listened to it a few times recently, and ended up with pretty much the same conclusion as the Doctor here.

Its enjoyable, and deserves to be called Dream Theater. However its still lightyears behind their best work, and there is much room for improvement for the new DT album in 2015.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1133 on: June 05, 2014, 06:50:42 AM »

Pretty much this!

I remember back when DT12 was released, i had one of the most negative opinions of this album. I listened to it a few times recently, and ended up with pretty much the same conclusion as the Doctor here.

Its enjoyable, and deserves to be called Dream Theater. However its still lightyears behind their best work, and there is much room for improvement for the new DT album in 2015.
I could not disagree more. After a year (or however long its been) listening to listening to this record its easily one of my all time favorite DT albums and an absolute top 5 album career wise in my eyes! I love it and I still can't get enough of it.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #1134 on: June 05, 2014, 08:44:15 AM »
It's been almost 10 months since I bought the album. The only songs I stil listen are Illumination Theory and Enigma Machine. The others got boring.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1135 on: June 05, 2014, 10:18:46 AM »
Still love it but I don't listen to it as much.  Then again, I don't listen to DT as much (just the natural phase after binging on them for a while). 

The great thing about this album is that I don't need to be in any mood to listen to the album.  BC&SL I definitely do have to be in the right mood. 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1136 on: June 05, 2014, 11:27:39 AM »
Still love it but I don't listen to it as much.  Then again, I don't listen to DT as much (just the natural phase after binging on them for a while). 

The great thing about this album is that I don't need to be in any mood to listen to the album.  BC&SL I definitely do have to be in the right mood.
Its a 10 times better album than BC&SL! IMO.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1137 on: June 06, 2014, 01:19:19 AM »
My opinion hasn't changed at all with this release.  I'm still very impressed with it and it's still behind I & W for my favorite release from DT.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1138 on: June 06, 2014, 03:10:55 AM »
My opinion hasn't changed at all with this release.  I'm still very impressed with it and it's still behind I & W for my favorite release from DT.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline emtee

« Reply #1139 on: June 06, 2014, 09:50:14 AM »
It's a good album but it does not beckon me back often. This is more about my tastes changing over time and not about
whether it's a quality album or not, because it is quality. Honestly since about 8V DT albums have been a mix of songs
I really dig and others I don't. No full album since SDoIT captivated me all the way through.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1140 on: June 06, 2014, 02:45:35 PM »

They have recorded so much sublime material, have a fairly recent habit of making facepalmy wrong moves (imho), yet still have so much potential. I think that's what keeps me both frustrated and coming back for more!  :lol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1141 on: June 07, 2014, 11:20:47 AM »
Out of all their albums - DT12 got old the fastest for me. I listen to ADTOE more.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #1142 on: June 07, 2014, 11:40:33 PM »
Out of all their albums - DT12 got old the fastest for me. I listen to ADTOE more.

Same here. There was less to dig into this time around.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #1143 on: June 08, 2014, 08:01:24 AM »
I really like Surrender to Reason and The Bigger Picture. Overall it sits okay.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1144 on: June 09, 2014, 04:16:31 AM »

This, sort of. There are only two moments on the album that bring out the goosebumps in me (the sign of a truly awesome album). Ending of The Bigger Picture, and the ending of Illumination Theory. The rest of it is great, really solid and listenable, but not absolutely mind-blowingly awesome. However, nearly every song on ADTOE has several goosebumps moments. Which is why ADOTE is joint-top of my DT album list.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1145 on: June 09, 2014, 08:58:11 AM »
Top 5 DT albums

1. Scenes
2. Six Degrees
3. I&W
4. DT12
5. ADTOE

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #1146 on: June 09, 2014, 01:27:37 PM »
It's consistent, solid, well planned, and with no flaws in term of bad or boring songs. A good, enjoyable album.
Still, even if there are some epic moments here and there, there's not really a full song which is absolutely memorable and definitely in top 10 of their repertoire... IMO.
ADTOE had many more ups and downs, best songs are better than DT 12, but too many boring or uninteresting parts. BC&SL same story...
Actually the last album with all great pieces without flaws is....
Well...
SFAM? All the others have at least one weak song. SDOIT maybe too, not 100% perfect but pretty close, anyway bit closer than Octavarium.
From Rome, with love.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1147 on: June 09, 2014, 02:05:30 PM »
Haven't listened in quite a while. Actually, False Awakening Suite came on shuffle, and I thought it was Symphony X's Iconoclast :lol

But I could listen right now and be satisfied. I never had a problem with the album to begin with.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1148 on: June 09, 2014, 08:25:13 PM »
In a similar vein, I feel that the highs on ADTOE are at least on par with the highs on DT12, yet the lows are much lower.

I can really only call I&W and SFAM DT's only perfect albums (and if not perfect, then very close to it) with SDOIT close to that grouping as well. But I'm not expecting every DT album to be perfect. Just enjoyable. Something that I think DT12 does pretty well.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1149 on: June 09, 2014, 09:04:50 PM »
Well, see, initially the second marriage was awesome. But then the honeymoon period wore off and it was back to business to keep the marriage happy. So DT is trying to do that kinky thing that made years 7-15 (I&W-SFaM) of the first marriage so so good (even if it did start to get a bit repetitive around the tenth anniversary). However, with the second wife, this kinky thing isn't quite the same, no matter how much you try to say it is. It's still loads of fun, yet still a bit boring and predictable.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1150 on: June 09, 2014, 09:24:04 PM »
Well, see, initially the second marriage was awesome. But then the honeymoon period wore off and it was back to business to keep the marriage happy. So DT is trying to do that kinky thing that made years 7-15 (I&W-SFaM) of the first marriage so so good (even if it did start to get a bit repetitive around the tenth anniversary). However, with the second wife, this kinky thing isn't quite the same, no matter how much you try to say it is. It's still loads of fun, yet still a bit boring and predictable.

:marriageanalogy:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1151 on: June 09, 2014, 09:36:07 PM »
MP ain't got nothing on my marriage analogies.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1152 on: June 09, 2014, 09:40:23 PM »
Yeah but DT12 didn't have remakes of Images and Words songs.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1153 on: June 10, 2014, 01:45:12 AM »
I mean it was really yet trying to recapture the magic of the era.

Offline adastra

« Reply #1154 on: June 10, 2014, 02:06:22 AM »
Sometimes I still go back to Illumination Theory , but apart from that, I haven't listen the album for some time now.
It hurts to say that I think that DT12 is propably their worst album. Everything except IT is kinda boring and forgettable (and I mean that as respectfully as possible) .

I guess you could say that I have fallen off the dream theater train.  Both ADTOE and DT12 are my bottom DT albums.
But of course, I'm still waiting for the new live dvd and DT13!  I'm pretty sure that both of them will rock!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.