Author Topic: Self Titled Album Discussion thread [Expect Spoilers]  (Read 224474 times)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: Self Titled Stream Discussion thread [READ FIRST POST, SPOILERS THEREAFTER]
« Reply #910 on: September 16, 2013, 05:57:38 PM »
Okay, so. I listened to it.

It was OK? I dont know. False Awakening Suite sounds like what I imagine to be an album full of Symphony X riffs compressed into 3 minutes, complete with those great fake orchestra sounds. Not sure what they were going for here at all.

The three-song-run of Enemy Inside, Looking Glass, and Enigma Machine is the best stretch of music on the album. After that, it just kinda spirals out of control for me. Unmemorable riffs, melodies, and solos until that gorgeous orchestral section of Illumination Theory, which I was hoping would just take over the rest of the song so I wouldn't have to hear the inevitable trade-off solo section. But the reprisal of the theme and the guitar solo that followed -while perhaps the most predictable music moment of 2013 - were really nice. Mangini really went to the Portnoy playbook for that last drum fill though, eh?

That little outro track was my favorite piece of music on the record.

I don't see much to come back to here, unfortunately. Maybe this band isn't for me anymore. I don't know.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #911 on: September 16, 2013, 05:57:54 PM »
Other than Rush, can anyone name another band that after 25 years into their career can even come close to putting out music this energetic, original, true to their "heritage" but yet fresh and interesting?  The amount of discussion is witness to this.  Even if this is not what you hoped for, at least you had expectations based on past releases.  I for one am grateful for the effort DT put into making a record that would impress the loyal while remaining relevant enough to attract new listeners.  There is SOOO much music to be digested here, take your time, let it soak in and be thankful DT is not on auto-pilot after all the years of amazing music.

And JLB on IT ........just amazing.

A ton of bands... Talking mainly about PROG or PROG related bands that are releasing great stuff for years, there is Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Rush, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Zappa...
I don't think DT even begins to reach the level of consistency of these bands though (8varium-SC-BC&SL killed it).

At first I was going to disagree with you, but now that I think about it I think you're right.

Personally Metropolis Pt. 2 and SDOIT were almost flawless albums. The rest of their work is good with some great songs and some truly terrible songs.

This album to me is almost flawless.

Ah i forgot ADTOE... and Rush released some weak albums in the 90's.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #912 on: September 16, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
Sorry to say it, but for me, this is easily the worst album DT has made. Very disappointing. I've never been let down with a DT release. This is just not good. There are, of course, a handful of strong moments, but I think overall the album is very weak. Will post more details when I've spun it a couple more times.

Mike, is that you in there?

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #913 on: September 16, 2013, 05:58:54 PM »
Illumination Theory is the epic to end all epics. I knew once I heard it once in its entirety that it would be right up there with Change of Seasons for me.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #914 on: September 16, 2013, 06:00:39 PM »
I don't see much to come back to here, unfortunately. Maybe this band isn't for me anymore. I don't know.

That's fine, people change. For me, this is like the album I've been waiting over 10 years for them to write, so I couldn't be happier.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #915 on: September 16, 2013, 06:03:24 PM »

That's fine, people change. For me, this is like the album I've been waiting over 10 years for them to write, so I couldn't be happier.

This is the first album by them I've actually been waiting for as I became a fan like right after ADToE was released
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Polis

« Reply #916 on: September 16, 2013, 06:03:49 PM »
it's really hard to digest right now. I am sort of annoyed by FAS and Enigma Machine, TEI AND AFTR I am already bored with, I can't really remember anything from TLG, BTV, or STR particularly. Parts of IT were cool enough for me to remember, but the rest is a blur right now.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #917 on: September 16, 2013, 06:05:06 PM »
Oh, and for the people keeping track, I became a fan in 2005. Scenes from a Memory was my first album and Falling Into Infinity my favorite.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #918 on: September 16, 2013, 06:05:43 PM »

This is the first album by them I've actually been waiting for as I became a fan like right after ADToE was released

I can't pinpoint when I became a fan - it just sort of crept up on me. The first album I got into was Train of Thought and I seem to remember loving Octavarium after a long car ride with a friend who showed it to me. The first album that came out after I became a fan was Systematic Chaos.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #919 on: September 16, 2013, 06:05:59 PM »
Other than Rush, can anyone name another band that after 25 years into their career can even come close to putting out music this energetic, original, true to their "heritage" but yet fresh and interesting?  The amount of discussion is witness to this.  Even if this is not what you hoped for, at least you had expectations based on past releases.  I for one am grateful for the effort DT put into making a record that would impress the loyal while remaining relevant enough to attract new listeners.  There is SOOO much music to be digested here, take your time, let it soak in and be thankful DT is not on auto-pilot after all the years of amazing music.

And JLB on IT ........just amazing.

A ton of bands... Talking mainly about PROG or PROG related bands that are releasing great stuff for years, there is Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Rush, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Zappa...
I don't think DT even begins to reach the level of consistency of these bands though (8varium-SC-BC&SL killed it).

This far into their careers?  I'll give you Floyd, but the Division Bell is really a Gilmour album.  PT and Opeth have not hit this age in their career and not sure PT will do much more and seriously Opeth > DT??.  And Zappa, well I guess an aquired taste.  KC doesn't come close and I already mentioned Rush. 
Next????
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline dparrott

« Reply #920 on: September 16, 2013, 06:08:09 PM »
IT middle: I like the sound effects, the middle sounds like a movie score.   Would that be a live orchestra or a tape?
Love the flange out of the orchestra part to :metal :metal  Damn James, haven't heard those notes from you in years!
Haters gonna hate, but that's how I like DT.  Best song on the album.

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #921 on: September 16, 2013, 06:09:54 PM »
I don't have a trained ear nor do I care about choruses or melodies or any of that. Does this album move me? Yes. Do I like it? Yes. Someone mentioned it early, those that have been following them since I&W get this album. I know I do. Again, its nice just to listen to it without being an asshole and to pick out each little note. Just listen to it for what it is, good music.

For those of you listening to it on SoundCloud.. LOL sorry. It sounds totally killer on my stereo at home, you'll see. Trust me. 

Can't wait to get my other copy from Amazon.

I like your comment.

I have not listened yet as I am waiting until my Itune preorder comes available.  I plan to burn to a cd get in my truck and head down I-24 and crank it up.  Will have to watch my speed on the interstate. :)

Now that the drama is almost over, bring on the North American tour dates!
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #922 on: September 16, 2013, 06:10:27 PM »
Wow, ballsy album. People weren't kidding when they said it was different and wasn't like any other DT album. It really is different, I mean you can hear little tidbits from all of their works but it really doesn't sound like anything they've put out before. After two listens, my reaction is pretty favorable. Just quick thoughts:

FAS: Heavier than I thought, but badass. Midi section rocks!

TEI: Not much to say, still a pretty awesome song.

TLG: Likin' this one! Glad they can keep it short but make it feel like it could be 10 minutes long. The chorus is great, as well as the guitar solo.

EM: Well... Not sure what to think on this one. This one might grow on me but as a DT instrumental it doesn't do much for me. It sounds kind of bland in the instrumental department. Not my favorite on the album so far.

TBP: Never mind Enigma Machine, THIS song rocks. Great verses, amazingly catchy chorus, and an incredible outro. Very cinematic and inspirational in its own way. Might be my 2nd favorite behind IT.

BTV: I feel like this song gets kind of lost in the midst of this album, as in I can't find much that stands out in it. The intro is cool, and I like the chorus and the guitar solo. The chord progression in the outro is really cool as well, and reminds me of The Great Debate for some reason.

STR: This is an interesting one... It might grow on me the most. It has a strange structure with some crazy riffs and baselines. The thing that stands out the most for me is the chorus, and, once again, DAT OUTRO.

AFTR: Again, not much to say. Good prelude to IT, the bridge is good too. Gon' kill when played live.

IT: I'm not sure exactly what to say about this one, it's crazy and mind blowing and unique and woah. It's probably my favorite from the album. The intro is a riff factory, but I really like the very beginning. The verses and choruses are unique and heavy, the short instrumental part afterwards is nuts. Can't complain about the orchestral section, I like it a lot, and it transitions very nicely into the next part.
What really shines for me is the part about 11 minutes in; HOLY SHIT JAMES!  :omg: :hefdaddy The song only gets better from there with a heavy instrumental section and SWEET solos from JP and JR.
More high notes from James in the outro, and great guitar work from JP to top it off. Easter egg is pretty. Love it :D

This may be the best DT album since SDOIT. The band sounds reinvigorated and energized.  :tup  :metal
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #923 on: September 16, 2013, 06:13:13 PM »
Opeth > DT??.  And Zappa, well I guess an aquired taste.  KC doesn't come close and I already mentioned Rush. 
Next????

Just because you like DT more?
I'm talking about not only my opinion, but the opinion of prog and music lovers in general.
Talking about consistency, Opeth or KC owns DT very easily.
Ah, don't overlook the releases by Rush during 90's.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #924 on: September 16, 2013, 06:15:21 PM »
Opeth > DT??.  And Zappa, well I guess an aquired taste.  KC doesn't come close and I already mentioned Rush. 
Next????

I'm talking about not only my opinion, but the opinion of prog and music lovers in general.

I find Opeth and DT someone difficult to compare... Seeing how in some ways they are in complete different genres of music than each other.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #925 on: September 16, 2013, 06:19:01 PM »
Next????

I find Opeth and DT someone difficult to compare... Seeing how in some ways they are in complete different genres of music than each other.

See it like this... in comparing the consistency of great albums they released for their respective genre or simply great music overall.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #926 on: September 16, 2013, 06:19:44 PM »
Heritage sticks out like a bland stinker with a few neat songs though.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #927 on: September 16, 2013, 06:20:32 PM »
Next????

See it like this... in comparing the consistency of great albums they released for their respective genre.

In terms of consistency I could see what you mean, though I don't think Opeth is even in the same universe as DT when it comes to those top albums.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #928 on: September 16, 2013, 06:20:41 PM »
Next????

Yeah, I think your opinion that there is some general "prog and music lovers in general" consensus on the issue to be somewhat misguided.  But this isn't really a thread about what the rest of the prog community thinks about Opeth.  Let's keep it on topic.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: September 16, 2013, 06:21:12 PM »
In this very moment, i've just realized that to me, the second half of IT, including the Orchestra interlude of course, it's the best DT moment. Ever.

Offline Polis

« Reply #930 on: September 16, 2013, 06:29:22 PM »
In this very moment, i've just realized that to me, the second half of IT, including the Orchestra interlude of course, it's the best DT moment. Ever.

I wish I could say that, but the first time I heard SFAM, Metropolis, Trial of Tears, TCOT, ANTR, ITPOE 1 and 2, I thought they had "the best DT moments. ever."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #931 on: September 16, 2013, 06:31:54 PM »
Has anyone notice the Marillion influence on The Bigger Picture more or less on the 06:40 mark?

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #932 on: September 16, 2013, 06:34:01 PM »
Next????

Yeah, I think your opinion that there is some general "prog and music lovers in general" consensus on the issue to be somewhat misguided.  But this isn't really a thread about what the rest of the prog community thinks about Opeth.  Let's keep it on topic.

We can't discuss music if is just a matter of personal opinion  :biggrin:
Ok, about the new album, i think it's a grower, maybe it turns out to be my in my upper list of favorite DT albums...don't know if i will like it more than ToT or 8varium though.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #933 on: September 16, 2013, 06:34:32 PM »
I'm going to hold off putting my full confidence in what I'm about to say next. But it might be true. I still need to digest about 3 more songs on the record. And of course time will tell. But here it is:

Dream Theater is the best DT album.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: September 16, 2013, 06:35:22 PM »
Think The Bigger Picture has the best chorus.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #935 on: September 16, 2013, 06:36:49 PM »
I actually quite enjoyed that.

Offline Sourcegamer101

« Reply #936 on: September 16, 2013, 06:37:38 PM »
The ending of Illumination Theory is so sad.  :'(

Surprisingly; never in my life have I heard something so melancholy.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #937 on: September 16, 2013, 06:39:07 PM »
Think The Bigger Picture has the best chorus.
I agree - that or The Looking Glass.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #938 on: September 16, 2013, 06:41:54 PM »
The ending of Illumination Theory is so sad.  :'(

Surprisingly; never in my life have I heard something so melancholy.

Somewhat ironically, it sounds like a variation off of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQFZ-v-CMNw

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: September 16, 2013, 06:42:01 PM »
On my third go around now and it's sounding better with every listen.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #940 on: September 16, 2013, 06:42:25 PM »
Oh, and for the people keeping track, I became a fan in 2005. Scenes from a Memory was my first album and Falling Into Infinity my favorite.

Oh hey, that's around the same time as me! Joe, when did you join DTF?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #941 on: September 16, 2013, 06:42:39 PM »
Wasn't Enigma Machine supposed to have a bass solo?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #942 on: September 16, 2013, 06:44:13 PM »
Jesus mother flippin christ,
IT, the 11:50'ish mark, James Labrie is raping and pillaging villages with that voice.

Dear god I love this album, I'm with H almost, it's at #2 for me, but this seriously may surpass I&W.

Like guys, I was expecting to like the DT album, but wasn't really thinking it'd crack my Top 5, but Rivers of Nihil are going to have to shit out a more than perfect record, and Chvrches can't surpass this monster.

Offline Tunnel Vision

« Reply #943 on: September 16, 2013, 06:45:56 PM »
I really like the album, but damn my ears are tired. Soundcloud stream with quality headphones does not mix! :)

My favorite song after two listens is The Looking Glass.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #944 on: September 16, 2013, 06:46:42 PM »
I'm shocked there are this many people disliking the album. It's rare I get chills on my first time through an album, but it happened to me multiple times. I'm genuinely surprised people that post on a DT fan forum can dislike this album. I'm even more surprised to see comments like "oh, more crappy modern DT, guess I'm done listening to this band." In my opinion, the past 2 albums are so consistent and so breathtaking, they can be compared against ANY DT album.

For the record, I think SC and BC&SL are both good albums, so maybe my opinion is just different from all of yours. I don't get people that dislike modern DT. I sure don't get the people that claim to not even LIKE any DT albums since Octavarium. I'd say this past decade has been glorious for DT music. I'd say the past 4 albums can be compared to any 4 album run. That's just my opinion. I don't get how something I get so much joy out of can be so hated by fans of the same band as me, but alas.

Also, I just "got" AftR. Glad I got it. First time I got chills from it. Isn't it nice when a song finally clicks for you?

10/10 album.