Author Topic: Self Titled Album Discussion thread [Expect Spoilers]  (Read 224244 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
Re: Self Titled Stream Discussion thread [READ FIRST POST, SPOILERS THEREAFTER]
« Reply #876 on: September 16, 2013, 04:47:15 PM »
I was a bit disappointed to hear DT shamelessly stealing Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto for the basic theme of Illumination Theory.

Thank you for writing this. I had Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto in the back of my head for hours now, after listening to IT, but couldn't remember the name.

Yes, I agree that it's a bit disappointing when you consider how the string section was marketed. If they had just paid homage in a humble way, it would have been great (like the Rush homage in The Looking Glass). But after all the fuss about the band made about the string section I'm somewhat disappointed to see so much similarity to a well known theme.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #877 on: September 16, 2013, 04:47:54 PM »
JLB so badass when DT picks up after the orchestra, what a moment. Didn't know he still had that kind of stuff in him.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #878 on: September 16, 2013, 04:52:33 PM »
Listened to everything a few times through, and it's growing stronger and stronger with each listen. Standout tracks so far are STR, IT, BTV, and TBP.

I really like what DT has done here, this album is definitely ballsy and loud but it's thoughtful, progressive and melodic at the same time!

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #879 on: September 16, 2013, 04:54:50 PM »
I'm rather stunned, and my thirst for DT has been quenched temporally. Perhaps I'll want to listen to it again later. I must say I'm fucking blown apart. I can't pin a word or phrase to describe the album at the moment. The songs I feel will have to grow on me are The Bigger Picture because I wasn't prepare for it feeling as long as it was and to the very cinematic nature of it, and Behind The Veil because I was thinking of an overall heavier song and set my bar up to something heavy, while the song was more melodic than I thought it would be. Perhaps Surrender to Reason to a lesser extent: it wasn't what I had in mind it would be, I was thinking of a more "classic-DT loved tune", maybe with a somewhat more rock-oriented approach due to its length and the description previously given of the solo (which did sound as I thought it would) however, it was great and once I get used to it I know I will love it far beyond what I can imagine at the moment.

My biggest advice to those who have not heard the album is to go without any preconceptions of it.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #880 on: September 16, 2013, 04:57:58 PM »
I was a bit disappointed to hear DT shamelessly stealing Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto for the basic theme of Illumination Theory.

Thank you for writing this. I had Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto in the back of my head for hours now, after listening to IT, but couldn't remember the name.

Yes, I agree that it's a bit disappointing when you consider how the string section was marketed. If they had just paid homage in a humble way, it would have been great (like the Ruch homage in The Looking Glass). But after all the fuss about the band made about the string section I'm somewhat disappointed to see so much similarity to a well known theme.

I don't know whether or not they've actually heard that song, but speaking from my own experience it's very easy to write music that sounds like something else without knowing. That includes songs that I've never even heard before. Sometimes other people point out to me that something I wrote sounds like some band I've never heard of, and they're completely right.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #881 on: September 16, 2013, 04:59:57 PM »
Sorry to ask a stupid question but does anyone know what the chirping sound on IT from 2:00 to 2:15 or so is there for ?  It's a little irritating but would be less so if I understood it more.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #882 on: September 16, 2013, 05:01:13 PM »
BEHIND THE VEIL, THE BIGGER PICTURE, ILLUMINATION THEORY IT'S ALLLL AMAAAZING!!!! THIS IS MY NEW FAVORITE DT ALBUM!
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #883 on: September 16, 2013, 05:04:14 PM »
Well... Mi expectations were truly high, so it's gonna take some time for me to digest this record. FAS fail as the intro I expected ("Star Wars" kind of? Come on!) Bridges in the sky intro is one hundred times better IMHO. I miss the harmonies, textures and emotion of ADTOE. So far, I can say: "cinematic" is not my cup of tea.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #884 on: September 16, 2013, 05:04:39 PM »
So I have listened to this album three times and wow... it's the first time I've not liked a new DT release. Grant it there have been times I needed multiple listens on a DT album for it to click with me but this is just not doing it for me. I remember the fist time I heard TOT and I hated it but after the second listen it started to click and after the third I loved it. ADTOE I loved from the first listen and I still think it's the best since SDOIT. To me there is just nothing memorable on this album. I'm also going to say something that I'll probably get flack for but whatever. ADTOE was really good but like it or not it did follow a lot of the song structures form the I&W album. This album sounds different than anything they've done before but the song structures just sound sloppy and all over the place. I think this is where MP is missed. I think MP was very much involved in the way the songs were arranged in not only DT but every other band he's in, where he is involved in the song writing process. I recently read in a Neal Morse interview that one of the things that MP does well is that he is a very good producer and arranger of songs. For example, I think the fact that now James Labrie is pretty much recording all the vocals without wanting anyone to "bother him" in the studio has hurt the vocal melodies on this album and MP would never have stood for that. I think all of these songs could have been better arranged from all aspects to be honest though. Anyway I do understand that I'm in the very small minority here and most DT fans seem to really like the album and I'm happy for you guys, It's just not doing anything for me, and to me this is my least favorite DT album ever.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #885 on: September 16, 2013, 05:07:46 PM »
Other than Rush, can anyone name another band that after 25 years into their career can even come close to putting out music this energetic, original, true to their "heritage" but yet fresh and interesting?  The amount of discussion is witness to this.  Even if this is not what you hoped for, at least you had expectations based on past releases.  I for one am grateful for the effort DT put into making a record that would impress the loyal while remaining relevant enough to attract new listeners.  There is SOOO much music to be digested here, take your time, let it soak in and be thankful DT is not on auto-pilot after all the years of amazing music.

And JLB on IT ........just amazing.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline mocool13

« Reply #886 on: September 16, 2013, 05:09:08 PM »
The choruses and vocal melodies take time to hit you, but when they do you find yourselves singing and humming them nonstop

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #887 on: September 16, 2013, 05:09:30 PM »
Other than Rush, can anyone name another band that after 25 years into their career can even come close to putting out music this energetic, original, true to their "heritage" but yet fresh and interesting?  The amount of discussion is witness to this.  Even if this is not what you hoped for, at least you had expectations based on past releases.  I for one am grateful for the effort DT put into making a record that would impress the loyal while remaining relevant enough to attract new listeners.  There is SOOO much music to be digested here, take your time, let it soak in and be thankful DT is not on auto-pilot after all the years of amazing music.

If they were still actually making music, Jethro Tull. I'm sure there are others; I just don't listen to them.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #888 on: September 16, 2013, 05:11:21 PM »
The ending of IT (not easter egg) is wonderous. LTL's outro will stand forever as a milestone of incomparable beauty but this blows pretty much every other album ending out of the water, especially 8V.

James singing "Never Knooooow" on the outro. Chills. Major chills.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #889 on: September 16, 2013, 05:11:55 PM »
The Bigger Picture, Behind the Veil, and Surrender to Reason all seem like filler songs to me.

Really loved all the other songs though right away. Illumination Theory does seem really disjointed and not thought out I admit.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #890 on: September 16, 2013, 05:13:34 PM »
Fuck, it's great. Thank you, DT!

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #891 on: September 16, 2013, 05:16:49 PM »
Other than Rush, can anyone name another band that after 25 years into their career can even come close to putting out music this energetic, original, true to their "heritage" but yet fresh and interesting?

Are we talking about the same Rush? The Rush that is responsible for the albums from Power Windows to Clockwork Angels?

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #892 on: September 16, 2013, 05:20:07 PM »
Other than Rush, can anyone name another band that after 25 years into their career can even come close to putting out music this energetic, original, true to their "heritage" but yet fresh and interesting?

Are we talking about the same Rush? The Rush that is responsible for the albums from Power Windows to Clockwork Angels?

Coincidentally, Power Windows and Clockwork Angels are two of my favorite Rush albums. :lol :loser:
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #893 on: September 16, 2013, 05:20:40 PM »
I can't think of any band who still sound this fresh and inspired on their 12th album.

U2's 12th album was properly dreary and sounded tired. [ NLOTH ]

* Speaking of U2 - can anyone name any other band that has been around for almost 40 years with NO line up changes ?

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #894 on: September 16, 2013, 05:21:55 PM »

Coincidentally, Power Windows and Clockwork Angels are two of my favorite Rush albums. :lol :loser:

Power Windows is my FAVORITE Rush album.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline OptionalPlayer

• Comprised of a series of ones and zeros
« Reply #895 on: September 16, 2013, 05:22:09 PM »
I have to let this thing sit with me, but it's damn well enjoyable thus far.

Offline OptionalPlayer

• Comprised of a series of ones and zeros
« Reply #896 on: September 16, 2013, 05:22:44 PM »
I can't think of any band who still sound this fresh and inspired on their 12th album.
Nailed it.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #897 on: September 16, 2013, 05:25:36 PM »

Thank you.

Yea let the music sink in for atleast a week or two, I think as fans we owe them that after they have spent months in a studio writing music basically for us fans. It's not a hard sacrifice atleast for me. Besides why rush to a conclusion when music is to be enjoyed primarily and not judged.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #898 on: September 16, 2013, 05:25:51 PM »
I am honestly in shock right now. I just listened straight through. I think this might be up there with the best. This is not like any previous DT album. This almost sounds like DT is 2.0 and most of the other stuff we had over the years was just the beta version.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: September 16, 2013, 05:27:57 PM »
Best of all - all the signature DT wacky stuff on this album reminds me of why I liked them in the first place and doesn't sound forced and shoe-horned in like on the last few Portnoy albums.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #900 on: September 16, 2013, 05:30:51 PM »
I am honestly in shock right now. I just listened straight through. I think this might be up there with the best. This is not like any previous DT album. This almost sounds like DT is 2.0 and most of the other stuff we had over the years was just the beta version.

I'd actually say this is more like DT 3.0; DT 1.0 was I&W/Awake and DT 2.0 was SfaM/6DoIT. :tup But yeah, you bring up a great point. The band sounds reinvigorated on this album! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Mat JB

« Reply #901 on: September 16, 2013, 05:38:30 PM »
Dream Theater is to A Dramatic Turn Of Events what Images And Words is to When Dream And Day Unite.

Offline Bowlochili

« Reply #902 on: September 16, 2013, 05:40:46 PM »
I don't have a trained ear nor do I care about choruses or melodies or any of that. Does this album move me? Yes. Do I like it? Yes. Someone mentioned it early, those that have been following them since I&W get this album. I know I do. Again, its nice just to listen to it without being an asshole and to pick out each little note. Just listen to it for what it is, good music.

For those of you listening to it on SoundCloud.. LOL sorry. It sounds totally killer on my stereo at home, you'll see. Trust me. 

Can't wait to get my other copy from Amazon.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #903 on: September 16, 2013, 05:43:44 PM »
Dream Theater is to A Dramatic Turn Of Events what Images And Words is to When Dream And Day Unite.

I don't agree only because I think ADToE is an amazing album, whereas When Dream and Day Unite is a rather weak album.

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #904 on: September 16, 2013, 05:45:48 PM »
Sorry to say it, but for me, this is easily the worst album DT has made. Very disappointing. I've never been let down with a DT release. This is just not good. There are, of course, a handful of strong moments, but I think overall the album is very weak. Will post more details when I've spun it a couple more times.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #905 on: September 16, 2013, 05:49:17 PM »

A ton of bands... Talking mainly about PROG or PROG related bands that are releasing great stuff for years, there is Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Rush, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Zappa...
I don't think DT even begins to reach the level of consistency of these bands though (8varium-SC-BC&SL killed it).
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #906 on: September 16, 2013, 05:51:02 PM »
IT time....loving the riffs so far!   :metal :metal :metal  And here I was complaining about their decrease in metal songs.   :\
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: September 16, 2013, 05:52:39 PM »

A ton of bands... Talking mainly about PROG or PROG related bands that are releasing great stuff for years, there is Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Rush, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Zappa...
I don't think DT even begins to reach the level of consistency of these bands though (8varium-SC-BC&SL killed it).

At first I was going to disagree with you, but now that I think about it I think you're right.

Personally Metropolis Pt. 2 and SDOIT were almost flawless albums. The rest of their work is good with some great songs and some truly terrible songs.

This album to me is almost flawless.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #908 on: September 16, 2013, 05:53:53 PM »
Sorry to say it, but for me, this is easily the worst album DT has made. Very disappointing. I've never been let down with a DT release. This is just not good. There are, of course, a handful of strong moments, but I think overall the album is very weak. Will post more details when I've spun it a couple more times.

When you do give us more details, be sure to also tell us how you discovered them. I'm curious if it's newer fans or older fans that like DT12 less.

Offline mabowe

« Reply #909 on: September 16, 2013, 05:56:33 PM »
the beginning to the string section in LT has very YES Close to the Edge  like sound which I like