Author Topic: Self Titled Album Discussion thread [Expect Spoilers]  (Read 224675 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: Self Titled Stream Discussion thread [READ FIRST POST, SPOILERS THEREAFTER]
« Reply #770 on: September 16, 2013, 02:13:50 PM »
OK, my first impression of Enigma Machine was unmemorable, but on further listens, it's awesome. It's got a lot of personality to it. It's super crunchy, technical, all over the place, and even kind of ditsy at places. You can just picture them all playing it together, making faces and having fun. I particularly think that the little bit at 4:25-4:27 is pretty humorous.

Oh and you can really hear Myung.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #771 on: September 16, 2013, 02:14:52 PM »
Dream Theater will always be my favorite band but I have to say I am disappointed after 1 listen.

I like what they were attempting to do.  I have been wanting them to go back to putting shorter more focused songs on an album for a while now while trimming the fat.  (Much like they did on Awake or even Falling to Infinity in where the epic songs like Trial of Tears and  Trial Of Tears didn't feel like they needed trimming)

To my ears most of these songs are not very catchy or memorable. 

I liked The Bigger Picture and Along for the Ride the best but I actually enjoyed the ADTOE far more.  Something like Beneath the Surface blows these ballads away IMO.  Also nothing on this album compares to Breaking All Illusions.

I would personally rank their albums something like this

Images
Scenes
Awake
Falling
Six Degrees
Octavarium (had a few clunkers but had catchy and memorable songs on it with some great melodies)
ADTOE
Cleaning out the Closet (I count this as a release because it has great quality stuff on it)
A Change of Seasons (love the song....if it had more songs on it I would rate this EP higher)
Black Clouds
SC
ToT
DT (Self Titled)
WDADU (loved the actual songs but can't get past Charlie's voice)

Hopefully it will move up after repeated listens but I honestly don't think it will much.

Still a huge fan and still buying and I think it is quality.  It just unfortunately doesn't do it for (as of yet) even though I want to love it.

:omg: You need to listen 2-3 times, then youŽll go  :hefdaddy

I hope so.  It happened to me before when Falling Into Infinity was released.  After 2-3 listens I loved it (minus You Not Me and Just Let Me Breathe) 

The problem with this one is that it isn't very catchy.  Dream Theater is excellent at writing complex songs with catchy and memorable vocal melodies....I just don't hear many of them on this album.  It surprises me to say it....but one of the most catchy songs was the single and it is the heaviest track.   

I recognize the quality on this album and think it was a great idea to trim the fat.  I just wish the songs were better (to my ears)

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #772 on: September 16, 2013, 02:17:37 PM »
I think everyone in the band shares in an equal amount of props for this. Everyone shines when asked to shine and everyone
shows restraint when it helps the song(s). So far the biggest 'feel' difference between this and recent DT output is JR's
change in approach. He really does a great job of creating a mood, or painting a scene if you will and lays off the uber fast
techno playing. I'm only 1 DT fan but I sure as hell appreciate this approach. I also feel like there is no unnecessary wanking
for the sake of making a song longer. Everything feels 'right'.
ehh kinda disagree about the unnecessary wanking. pretty much whenever there are those keyboard/guitar solo tradoffs it is simply not even music imo, and ruins the vibe. That's just me though...

Offline Ħ

« Reply #773 on: September 16, 2013, 02:18:39 PM »
Dude, just listen to the album again. No one remembers much on their first listen.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jammindude

« Reply #774 on: September 16, 2013, 02:22:10 PM »
Wow....some people saying "lack of catchiness" and it just makes me feel like I must have been listening to a different album.

I can't get half these songs out of my head.   The Looking Glass in particular.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #775 on: September 16, 2013, 02:23:43 PM »
Wow....some people saying "lack of catchiness" and it just makes me feel like I must have been listening to a different album.

Sometimes I feel "catchiness" to be subjective. I, personally, find quite a few of the passages and choruses off of this album as being really catchy!  :metal
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #776 on: September 16, 2013, 02:24:09 PM »
Sounds like there's a blanket over my speakers.

Offline krieger

« Reply #777 on: September 16, 2013, 02:31:31 PM »
OK, my first impression of Enigma Machine was unmemorable, but on further listens, it's awesome. It's got a lot of personality to it. It's super crunchy, technical, all over the place, and even kind of ditsy at places. You can just picture them all playing it together, making faces and having fun. I particularly think that the little bit at 4:25-4:27 is pretty humorous.

Oh and you can really hear Myung.

The facts are showing: you must listen to this album many, many times before "getting" it.

I can say that about "The Looking Glass". On first listening, I was all "what the hell is that?". It seemed to me a weak song.

Then it began to change. First it was "it sounds like Rush"...

But now I like it! The vocals are great. The song is very good.   :corn

And about Enigma Machine: amazing. Better than Erotomania. Better than any other instrumental, but Ytse Jam. :metal
"Likely or not, it's a dream that we keep
and at odds with our senses we'll climb
But if faith is the answer, we've already reached it
And if spirit's a sign then it's only a matter of time."

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #778 on: September 16, 2013, 02:33:18 PM »
Song impressions

False AS - Reminds me of Overture form Six Degrees.  Fine as an intro piece.

The Enemy Inside - The Heavy Track (like The Glass Prison of Six Degrees) or The Root of All Evil from Octavarium.  Solid song but far from Dream Theater's best

The Looking Glass - Up beat and reminds me of Don't Look Past Me from Cleaning out the Closet.  It is an OK song that ends abruptly and leaves a weird taste.  I actually like Don't Look Past Me better personally.

Enigma Machine - They play their instruments great on the song but it is not very catchy or memorable.   I wish they would stop doing instrumentals on albums honestly.  They have enough going on in their songs that they don't need to waste the album space unless the instrumental is simply amazing.    I will probably end up skipping this one.  Sounds like something they would throw in the middle of a song to needlessly stretch it out on something like the SC album.  Rather would have had a song here with vocals to make the album feel more complete.

The Bigger Picture - Best song on the album so far for me.  Nice melodic song with a lot going on.  I actually felt something in this song.  I love when JP can convey emotion through his guitar (like the soft section in Lines in the Sand)

Behind the Veil - Something was off on my 1st listen.  I think I will like this one better upon repeated listens so I won't comment much on it to give it a chance.

Surrender to Reason - Another one that I think I will like better on repeated listens.  Wasn't too impressed on my 1st listen though.  Thought I would like it better after reading some of the comments.

Along for the Ride - 2nd best track on the album but I still like the ADTOEs ballads better.  This Is The Life, Far From Heaven, and Beneath The Surface are more heart felt and catchy to me.

IT - Think I will like it better on the 2nd listen but was disappointed.  I liked Jame's singing but the song felt like different songs spliced together unlike Octavarium and A Change of Seasons.  Something felt off about the flow.

Like I said.  I hope I like it a lot more after repeated listens but I think it is one of their weakest albums so far.

I realize that there is quality on the album but for me the songs didn't grab me.  Most just aren't catchy,  memorable, or pleasing to my ears.

Still a huge fan and will buy whatever they put out and I commend them for their attempt.  Glad others enjoy it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #779 on: September 16, 2013, 02:38:10 PM »

Sometimes I feel "catchiness" to be subjective. I, personally, find quite a few of the passages and choruses off of this album as being really catchy!  :metal
It totally is.

I also find it funny how for some people, something needs to be "catchy" for them to consider it good, and for some others anything that is "catchy" is automatically "mainstream" which must make it bad.

But yeah, I'm finding some of the melodies on this album sticking with me after only a couple of listens, but I expect it to require more listens for the album to really sink in.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #780 on: September 16, 2013, 02:39:27 PM »
just dont give up mate - keep listening! DT is like a fine wine!  ;)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: September 16, 2013, 02:40:37 PM »
The facts are showing: you must listen to this album many, many times before "getting" it.

Totally agree.  On first listen I was on the fence about the album.  I'm on my fourth listen now and it's growing on me BIG TIME.  I think it's one of the band's best works.  Too soon to rank it, but it's up there.  Brilliance.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ProAlbino

« Reply #782 on: September 16, 2013, 02:41:24 PM »

All good wines improve with age.  ;)

Offline illusionist

« Reply #783 on: September 16, 2013, 02:41:48 PM »
I think it's a pretty good album.After one and a half listens,i did  find some beautiful and memorable moments,but i didn't find any that would shock me.Something like BAI solo or the emotion of BTS.Maybe i was expecting something extraordinary,like Scenes,and i didn't hear it.My expectations were too high.I'll surely give it dozens of listens,bur as of now it's not something special.And i was waiting for JP to push his craftamanship even more and give us a performance to remember.Don't know.I hope it'll grow on me.
How sweet would it be for DT13 to be a concept one.To ooze with emotion,as SFAM did.I'm hoping.
I love DT,but i expect the best out of them,to top themselves with each and every album,to avoid repetition and get in new territories.And of course,to be as emotional as one band can be.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #784 on: September 16, 2013, 02:43:26 PM »

exactly lol! and Surrender to Reason is doing just that at the moment to me!

Offline evz

« Reply #785 on: September 16, 2013, 02:43:58 PM »
One thing I am noticing (on my 5th listen thru LOL) is the use of effects throughout, flangers come in for a moment, vocals echo at times, a lot of really cool things well beyond that...  Really fun when a new thing pops out at you that way.

Offline ProAlbino

« Reply #786 on: September 16, 2013, 02:46:51 PM »

Yeah but then there is Behind the Veil... I still can't get over how much momentum it loses moving from verse to pre-chorus. Honestly what were they thinking.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #787 on: September 16, 2013, 02:47:18 PM »
It feels like the fans who started to listen to DT in the Train of Thought era "dislike"/doesnŽt get this album...and those who started at I&W fkin loves it  :metal

Count me out of the "those who started at I&W fkin loves it" category.

I think when a lot of us (including myself) get over our expectations, we can appreciate it for what it is.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Progalot

« Reply #788 on: September 16, 2013, 02:47:33 PM »
I'm having difficulty finding the stream for New Zealand, really want to listen!

Offline MetalJens

« Reply #789 on: September 16, 2013, 02:49:05 PM »
I've been so hooked on IT I've hardly listened to the other songs, but now that I'm listening to the rest I'm almost speechless. Not sure if I've ever been so exited about an album release before. This is ridiculously good. Seriously.  :hefdaddy

Not sure if I'll get to sleep tonight, lol.  :metal

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #790 on: September 16, 2013, 02:49:31 PM »
NOTE: I haven't listened to the album yet.

I see a lot of people comparing FAS to Overture from SDOIT.

I'm assuming this is just in style, and not necessarily meaning that it references other songs on the album?
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #791 on: September 16, 2013, 02:50:30 PM »
I've only listened to it once, but my initial impression is that this is a really really solid album. Highlight moments for me is the orchestra section and James's insane notes in Illumination Theory. Also I hear a lot of Rush in this album, but I have no issues with that. I need to listen to it plenty more before being able to form an honest opinion, but first impressions are great. :2metal:
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #792 on: September 16, 2013, 02:51:07 PM »

And about Enigma Machine: amazing. Better than Erotomania. Better than any other instrumental, but Ytse Jam. :metal
[/quote]

Better then Erotomania?? You've gone crazy son ;)

Offline climberboy

« Reply #793 on: September 16, 2013, 02:51:24 PM »
This really clicks with me having heard it twice. Everything to me seems well structured and everybody sounds awesome especially JP, dat guitar, and JLB, dem vocals! I really like the flow of the tracks so like a sort of up and down feeling with heavy and melodic mixed with the softer elements, absolutely love it!!

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #794 on: September 16, 2013, 02:51:49 PM »

Yeah but then there is Behind the Veil... I still can't get over how much momentum it loses moving from verse to pre-chorus. Honestly what were they thinking.

That doesnt bother me at all tbh - that first big riff sounds like something off an old Metallica album  :metal

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #795 on: September 16, 2013, 02:51:56 PM »
I've listened up to 1-2 minutes through The Bigger Picture. Only songs that stood out were the first two. Hopefully the next half is better.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #796 on: September 16, 2013, 02:53:35 PM »
I really dig this album's diversity, acknowledging every aspect this band has ever had at one point.

The Looking Glass was way better on 2nd listen, absolutely great chorus and guitar solo. I still don't get the accents at the end though? WTF was that? And JLB's vocals are suddenly SUPER loud at the end! I kinda like the adventurous stuff they're doing. Enigma Machine 2nd listen now, reaally entertaining. They're grooving hard on this record, it's badass. Best use of heaviness since Train of Thought.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: September 16, 2013, 02:55:04 PM »
Basically, it's a good album, but I still can't get over how familiar it all sounds, whether DT are going back to their own sound or borrowing from their tried and true influences (Rush, Megadeth, Yes, Queen, etc.).

Listening to this record in such close proximity to JLB's newest solo effort, I can't help but feel like DT would be a lot more interesting with another primary songwriter in the band. John Petrucci is an excellent player and songwriter, but after the instrumental when you have that string of 6-7 minute songs, the whole "perspective" starts to get pretty repetitive. Not because the material is bad, per se, but just because there's not a lot of variety. It's all very John P sounding. I'd REALLY like to hear another member step up and really contribute something different. Well all know what John P is capable of - let's here a song that's almost solely Rudess' or Myung's baby.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #798 on: September 16, 2013, 02:56:21 PM »
God damn I love Mangini's cymbal work, he gets so much radular work in there.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #799 on: September 16, 2013, 02:56:34 PM »
Are we seriously judging a DT album after one listen?
Come on guys... you of all people should know that you need at least 100 listens to rank it properly  :)

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #800 on: September 16, 2013, 02:56:58 PM »
I don't see how people say this isn't memorable. I think its one of their most memorable albums since SDOIT maybe even earlier. It's different but still Dream Theater. That's exactly what I wanted!
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Warhorse000

« Reply #801 on: September 16, 2013, 03:00:18 PM »
Loving the album so far.  I listened to each song 2 or 3 times and just finished The Bigger Picture.  I'm going to wait to listen to the rest of the album for my ride from work to Gamestop for the midnight release of GTAV  :D

The whole album is so so so so so good IMO.  I definitely do not have a single complaint yet.  I will say the weakpoint to me is The Enemy Inside. 

Also:  Enigma Machine = Final Fantasy boss music  :tup

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #802 on: September 16, 2013, 03:02:58 PM »
2 listens in and I'm really liking it.

Really love The Looking Glass, Along for the Ride and Illumination Theory.

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #803 on: September 16, 2013, 03:04:09 PM »
My opinions so far:

FAS - A really cool intro
TEI - Took me a few listens to like it, but now it's pretty awesome
TLG - Disappointed. From the descriptions I thought it'd be cool, but it's bleh
EM - Decent. I'll probably like this when I listen to it more
TBP - Pretty cool. Not as good as FAS or TEI
BTV - Almost finished it, but so far it's freaking awesome! My favorite song of DT12 yet

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #804 on: September 16, 2013, 03:04:21 PM »
I don't know if I'm raving too early, but in terms of songwriting alone, this at least surpasses every Roadrunner era album so far. Or so it seems on 2nd listen.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .