Author Topic: Self Titled Album Discussion thread [Expect Spoilers]  (Read 224651 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Self Titled Album Discussion thread [Expect Spoilers]
« Reply #1960 on: September 26, 2013, 01:57:54 PM »
DT13 :

Myung Lightyear : To Infinity and Beyond.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1961 on: September 26, 2013, 02:31:58 PM »
DT13 :

Someone with Photoshop skills please make a cover for this album :lol

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1962 on: September 26, 2013, 03:52:16 PM »
Does anyone else think that Illumination Theory is perhaps the structurally weakest song of DT's entire catalog? I feel like their songwriting is getting worse... and it was so strong on ADToE...  :-[

Offline dongringo

« Reply #1963 on: September 26, 2013, 04:10:59 PM »
Does anyone else think that Illumination Theory is perhaps the structurally weakest song of DT's entire catalog? I feel like their songwriting is getting worse... and it was so strong on ADToE...  :-[

No
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1964 on: September 26, 2013, 04:33:14 PM »

While you're of course entitled to your opinion, I find it a bit weird that you pull a trend from a grand total of one song (IT) - or do you think that the other songs on the S/T are weakly written as well?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1965 on: September 26, 2013, 04:48:20 PM »
DT13 :

Someone with Photoshop skills please make a cover for this album :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1966 on: September 27, 2013, 12:48:40 AM »

No
Nope. Structurally it's about the same as ACOS.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #1967 on: September 27, 2013, 04:44:14 AM »

Not me.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1968 on: September 27, 2013, 04:57:14 AM »

Not me.

Not me either.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Rhayader

« Reply #1969 on: September 27, 2013, 05:11:10 AM »
I wouldn't say only the last song.. but the whole album has a structural problem, song-writing problem and vocal melody problem. Doesn't sound like DT sometimes.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1970 on: September 27, 2013, 05:27:46 AM »
I wouldn't say only the last song.. but the whole album has a structural problem, song-writing problem and vocal melody problem. Doesn't sound like DT sometimes.

I don't not disagree with that statement.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1971 on: September 27, 2013, 05:54:37 AM »
This entire album is growing on me. The problem with new albums and internet forums is the knee jerk reactions to albums.

People proclaim within a few listens its the best or worst of the bands career. I'm one of the oldest members of the board and I would say that the days before the internet were pure magic  when it came to your favorite bands releasing new albums. Half the time you didn't even know one was coming out until days beforehand. Then when you did rush out to buy the record you listened to it with no preconceived notions. You didn't have the vast opinions of others floating in your head creating an almost subliminal bias to things you haven't even heard before.

I want to form my own unbiased opinion of every track but its hard to when you read the thoughts of so many and ponder why they feel as they do.
Now I'm sure not everyone is effected by this, but it does have an effect on me.

I am liking the album so far. Its a grower for me. My first listen didn't rock my world, but with every new listen different nuances are coming to the surface and the depth of the record is starting to penetrate.
So that's my thoughts at the moment.

p.s. Illumination Theory is amazing!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1972 on: September 27, 2013, 06:02:58 AM »
The problem with new albums and internet forums is the knee jerk reactions to albums.

People proclaim within a few listens its the best or worst of the bands career. I'm one of the oldest members of the board and I would say that the days before the internet were pure magic  when it came to your favorite bands releasing new albums. Half the time you didn't even know one was coming out until days beforehand. Then when you did rush out to buy the record you listened to it with no preconceived notions. You didn't have the vast opinions of others floating in your head creating an almost subliminal bias to things you haven't even heard before.

Agree 100%.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1973 on: September 27, 2013, 06:21:50 AM »
The problem with new albums and internet forums is the knee jerk reactions to albums.

Agree 100%.

:tup

Offline dongringo

« Reply #1974 on: September 27, 2013, 06:52:52 AM »

Agree 100%.

:tup

Those were the days.  :tup
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1975 on: September 27, 2013, 07:04:59 AM »
Solution: Shut down the forum around release time or just don't read the threads.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1976 on: September 27, 2013, 07:06:24 AM »
Solution: Shut down the forum around release time or just don't read the threads.
I would need to start a 12 step program for that to happen.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #1977 on: September 27, 2013, 07:20:53 AM »

The withdrawals would be too severe and I'd probably lose my job and end up in a mental hospital, uncovered by health insurance...would have to sell everything to pay the bills and would probably never be emotionally and mentally the same again. Or worse.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1978 on: September 27, 2013, 09:56:52 AM »
It's been done.

Does anyone else think that Illumination Theory is perhaps the structurally weakest song of DT's entire catalog?
No.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1979 on: September 27, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »
Friend who got me into Dream Theater finally gave the album a listen. Called it lifeless   :sadpanda:
Welp, guess I'll continue to not talk about this album to anyone IRL.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1980 on: September 27, 2013, 01:04:05 PM »
Dream Theater is Dream Theater. They don't try to reinvent the wheel. You get the same basic elements in every album.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1981 on: September 27, 2013, 01:08:37 PM »
Am I the only one that has a hard on for Enigma Machine?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1982 on: September 27, 2013, 01:11:06 PM »
Tick...don't let it get to you. I read the forums, but I can still form my own reaction to the albums.

And this album kicks ass
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1983 on: September 27, 2013, 01:28:11 PM »
Tick...don't let it get to you. I read the forums, but I can still form my own reaction to the albums.

And this album kicks ass
I hear you. It seems that some people are enamored with being controversial or trying to heat people up for the sake of doing so.
I understand that some folks really don't like the record, but others like to beat the dead horse by saying it in as many places as possible to make sure we are all aware of there displeasure.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1984 on: September 27, 2013, 01:53:41 PM »
I agree with the above comment about things being SO different before the internet. Hell, half the time I never even knew
a band had a new album out. I would discover it while browsing the record shop. I don't want to be one of those
'get off my lawn' fellars but the whole experience was more enjoyable to me back then.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1985 on: September 27, 2013, 02:45:36 PM »
Well I am loving the album.

My only complaint is that it seems to end so fast.

Lightyears better than "Events."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1986 on: September 27, 2013, 02:55:04 PM »
This entire album is growing on me. The problem with new albums and internet forums is the knee jerk reactions to albums.

I want to form my own unbiased opinion of every track but its hard to when you read the thoughts of so many and ponder why they feel as they do.
Now I'm sure not everyone is effected by this, but it does have an effect on me.

I am liking the album so far. Its a grower for me. My first listen didn't rock my world, but with every new listen different nuances are coming to the surface and the depth of the record is starting to penetrate.

i pretty much agree with that.  The album hasn't really hit me but each time I listen to I like it better.  Don't know how I will feel about it in a few months.

Funny thing is, I really cant say anything bad about the album.  I love the lyrics, the sound quality, the riffs, the compositions, the musicianship but its just not hit me that much. 

Offline JPX

« Reply #1987 on: September 27, 2013, 03:00:50 PM »

Personally I can't even listen to IT because of it's structure. I mean I think the song writing is weak too, but I have no idea what they were aiming for with this song.

Offline JPX

« Reply #1988 on: September 27, 2013, 03:06:23 PM »

You make it sound like the Internet is brand new. There are likely forumers who are young enough to have never been alive without it existing.

What they need to do is cut out is this garbage pre release stuff. All I need to know is when it's being recorded and subsequently released. I get that it's part of marketing now but imo it completely ruins the experience.

For Iconoclast, SX gave like 2 updates lol.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1989 on: September 27, 2013, 03:15:46 PM »

Personally I can't even listen to IT because of it's structure. I mean I think the song writing is weak too, but I have no idea what they were aiming for with this song.

Why are there so many complaints about IT's structure?  ACOS is just as weird from a structural standpoint, and that's pretty much universally adored on this forum.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1990 on: September 27, 2013, 03:20:05 PM »

You make it sound like the Internet is brand new. There are likely forumers who are young enough to have never been alive without it existing.

I understand that, but if you are 20 to 25 you can't relate to what I am saying because you were too young. That's just the reality of it.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1991 on: September 27, 2013, 03:20:54 PM »

Why are there so many complaints about IT's structure?  ACOS is just as weird from a structural standpoint, and that's pretty much universally adored on this forum.

THIS
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1992 on: September 27, 2013, 03:24:07 PM »

My thoughts exactly. Overall there isn't much substance to the album beneath the bombastic production!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1993 on: September 27, 2013, 03:29:01 PM »

And this album kicks ass
I hear you. It seems that some people are enamored with being controversial or trying to heat people up for the sake of doing so.
I understand that some folks really don't like the record, but others like to beat the dead horse by saying it in as many places as possible to make sure we are all aware of there displeasure.

I would say the same about people responding to it. When someone says they just don't enjoy it, people have to come in and make excuses for them: "You just don't like DT anymore." "How can anyone say that?" "Some people just can't be positive about anything." Instead of accepting that people can have different thoughts about things.

Offline JPX

« Reply #1994 on: September 27, 2013, 03:44:48 PM »

THIS

ACoS has an overall cohesion. IT sounds like 8 different song ideas spliced together. I mean the transition from the orchestral section into that bass section is actually embarrassing imo.