Author Topic: Help for choosing keyboard  (Read 800 times)

Offline Öxölklöfför

• Pull my finger, I'm not afraid.
Help for choosing keyboard
« on: September 14, 2013, 09:57:03 AM »
Hi,

I'm playing in a cover band. We play rock tunes ranging from the 70s to the 80s, and have (roughly) 2 gigs per month.  Our aim is to extend the number of gigs per month to about 4. I.e- it's on a hobby level.

To make our setlist more appealing and interesting, we've started to add songs with keyboard in them, and one of the guitarists have started to alternating between keyboard and guitar. Since he is at a beginner level, we've chooses quite simple songs, where his role mainly consists of playing chords and simpler melodies. But, the keyboard that he currently uses is quite bad, so we look for an alternative. Which, as you may have guessed by now, is the reason for why I started this thread. The criterias are as follows:

- Weighed keys
- Good sounds/patches for piano, rock organ, and synth sounds (a 'la Journey and Bon Jovi).
- Relatively cheap/as much bang-for-the-buck as possible. It certainly doesn't have to be new...

It feels overkill to buy an expensive solution when it's not sure if he will continue playing, but at the same time it should sound good enough to make it "professional" (on a cover band level).

Any tips?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Help for choosing keyboard
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 12:32:40 PM »
What kind of money are we talking here?

"Expensive" means different things to different people.  Once I know how much you want to spend I can make some recommendations based on budget.