Poll

Which vocalist do you prefer?

Geoff Tate
22 (53.7%)
Steve Perry
19 (46.3%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: 80s Glam/Metal Vocal Showdown #17: Tate vs Perry  (Read 3870 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: 80s Glam/Metal Vocal Showdown #17: Tate vs Perry
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2013, 07:55:52 PM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 07:56:34 PM »
Dude, I know you're bald, but I didn't realize you were going through a bloated phase. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2013, 07:14:58 AM »
The poll results read like book smarts winning out over common sense.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2013, 08:13:34 AM »
More like Metal>Melody
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2013, 09:29:26 AM »
I'm glad Perry held up as well as he has, at least. When I first saw this matchup I was expecting Tate to win by a landslide.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2013, 09:34:19 AM »
I'm glad Perry held up as well as he has, at least. When I first saw this matchup I was expecting Tate to win by a massive landslide.

Agreed

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2013, 09:37:10 AM »
Too bad... I didn't really expect Perry to come close to winning this, especially given that most here don't seem to like Journey too much, but it would have been nice.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2013, 09:38:43 AM »
Perry
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2013, 10:15:56 AM »
I figured this was going to be a close matchup, and glad it's turned out as such (as opposed to Fish vs Dickinson).  The reality is, around DTF, the "finals" of this category will come down to Tate vs Dickinson - I'll shart myself if it doesn't.  Everything else along the way is just for shits and giggles.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2013, 10:54:49 AM »
Just an interesting side, but Tate auditioned to replace Perry back around '98. The song Walking Away from the Edge, great song they recorded with Augeri down the road, originated from that rehearsal.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2013, 10:57:01 AM »
Just an interesting side, but Tate auditioned to replace Perry back around '98. The song Walking Away from the Edge, great song they recorded with Augeri down the road, originated from that rehearsal.

I had forgotten about that.  I'm kind of glad it didn't work out.  Tate's voice would not be the right fit for Journey.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2013, 11:03:58 AM »

I remember that at the time.
mIGHT HAVE SAVE qr IF THE MAD DICTATOR HAD GONE AT THAT TIME. cdg WOULD HAVE STAYED IN THE MUSIC BIZ AND i HATE CAPS LOCK WITH A VENGEANCE BUT CAN'T BE ARSED TO RETYPE ALL THIS SO SORRY FOR SHOUTING.
That's better.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2013, 11:20:19 AM »
I had forgotten about that.  I'm kind of glad it didn't work out.  Tate's voice would not be the right fit for Journey.
I agree, but I think I recall it being said it was never very serious (on either side) in the first place. ...more of a let's just see. Still a cool bit of trivia, especially since it spawned a top notch hidden gem for Journey.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2013, 12:59:06 PM »
I agree, but I think I recall it being said it was never very serious (on either side) in the first place. ...more of a let's just see. Still a cool bit of trivia, especially since it spawned a top notch hidden gem for Journey.

There may not have been a lot of serious interest on the part of Journey or Geoff, but given the amount of money involved if it had actually happened, I suspect the person driving it on Tate's side was VERY interested.