Poll

Which vocalist do you prefer?

Geoff Tate
22 (53.7%)
Steve Perry
19 (46.3%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: 80s Glam/Metal Vocal Showdown #17: Tate vs Perry  (Read 3871 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
80s Glam/Metal Vocal Showdown #17: Tate vs Perry
« on: September 11, 2013, 09:37:25 PM »
Yes, THAT 'Tate' vs THAT 'Perry'.  I know I said I wasn't going to match them up, but after the debacle that was Dickinson vs Fish, I wasn't going to throw another proverbial lamb to the slaughter against either.  So, screw it... Round 1, heavyweight matchup of the 80s voices.  I know they're totally different styles, but they are without a doubt, 2 of the premier voices coming from the 80s.  If/when I continue with subsequent rounds, these two would undoubtedly have been matched up at some point, so let's just get it out of the way now.

I love me my melodic voices, but for some unknown reason, Journey was only a 'best of' band for me.  I just never bought any of their albums on their own.  But man, there isn't a song I've ever heard with Perry (Journey or solo) that isn't stellar.  Tate... was the god of prog-metal for 6 albums.  Then he slowly deteriorated, gave up (on his band and their fans), and is just bat-shit crazy now.

How to vote?  How ... to .... vote??

I'm going to go with Tate.  Although I can barely stand anything post PL, his voice didn't start to really tank until after Tribe.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: 80s Glam/Metal Vocal Showdown #17: Tate vs Perry
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:39:12 PM »
PERRY!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 09:40:31 PM »
Tate. Perry is awesome, but Tate at his peak was pretty much untouchable.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 02:26:46 AM »
Steve Perry. Awhile back, when the whole Robert Plant vs Freddie Mercury poll was happening, I mentioned that I felt that the only rock singer that could hold his own in a poll against Mercury was Perry. Neither of them are my personal favorite singer ever (that'd be Bruce Dickinson), but those two are the Vocal Gods of rock.

Besides, while Perry was a bit of a dick back in the Eighties and Nineties, I get pissed off whenever I think about Geoff Tate these days. >:(
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 02:31:33 AM »
I'm not even much of a fan of Tate when he was at his peak. Perry gets my vote easily here.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 04:52:27 AM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 04:56:27 AM »
Perry

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 05:27:30 AM »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 05:30:46 AM »
Besides, while Perry was a bit of a dick back in the Eighties and Nineties, I get pissed off whenever I think about Geoff Tate these days. >:(
This swayed my judgment too.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 06:48:47 AM »
This swayed my judgment too.

Yeah, Tate's managed to get himself expelled from any personal rankings of high standard due to his behavior over the past year and a half. :tdwn That being said, while I'm a big fan of Queensryche, I've never gotten the hype about Tate as a singer. He was talented back in the day, sure, but I always thought that his peers were better. :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 07:48:04 AM »
Perry, easily.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 07:50:50 AM »
I hate you, Chad. 

As much as I can't stand Tate now, I have to respect his abilities in the '80s and not factor his present idiocy and vocal deterioration into the equation.  So while I love Perry:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 08:09:46 AM »
I love QR more than Journey, but I like the quality of Perry's voice better.  I think of it this way:  if I had to have one of them sing a song that I hadn't heard before, it would be Perry.  They're both impeccable though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 08:31:04 AM »

Tate wins this, and he was awesome in his prime, but untouchable?  I can think of a handful of rock/metal singers who were his equal or better at their respective peaks.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 08:52:29 AM »

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 09:22:40 AM »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 09:37:58 AM »

Tate wins this, and he was awesome in his prime, but untouchable?  I can think of a handful of rock/metal singers who were his equal or better at their respective peaks.

Out of curiosity, who?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 09:40:25 AM »
he ain't called "The Voice" for nothing.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 09:45:25 AM »

Out of curiosity, who?

Midnight, Ray Alder, Freddie Mercury, Rob Halford, Michael Kiske and Roy Khan would all be great examples of better singers than Geoff Tate. 
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 09:48:59 AM »
I like both but I had to go with Perry...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 09:55:27 AM »

Out of curiosity, who?

Midnight, Ray Alder, Freddie Mercury, Rob Halford, Michael Kiske and Roy Khan would all be great examples of better singers than Geoff Tate.

I'll grant you a couple of those, but not all.  Midnight?  You can't compare his 3-album 80s output to Tate's, then followed with a 10-year hiatus.  I haven't heard his solo stuff, so can't comment.  Hardly anyone knows Midnight as well (only 16 people voted in the 'showdown' he was in).  Alder... is hit and miss.  For years, he was a miss for me.  Now I can appreciate.  No way he compares to Tate's 80s work.  I can't argue Mercury/Halford one way or the other.  I would say Kiske and Khan are debatable.  Great in their own respect, but debatable when compared to Tate (on the whole, not simply looking at current state).

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 10:01:02 AM »
I'd vote for Khan or maybe even Kiske, but I never really think of them as 80s singers, even though I suppose Kiske at least technically was.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 10:02:38 AM »
Midnight:  Assuming, arguably, that he is on the same plane as Tate and Perry, I would argue that CG was too underground to make him a serious contender.  But I also wouldn't quite put him on the same plane as '80s Tate either.
Alder:  No way.  He had range, sure.  But he was never quite the caliber of singer that Tate or Perry were.
Mercury:  I hear you.  Not sure he fits the genre we are talking about, though.
Halford:  I disagree that he is better, but I'll give you that one because he definitely deserves to be in the conversation.
Kiske:  I would probably put him in the same category as Alder.  Yeah, he had range and talent.  But probably a cut below guys like Tate and Perry.  Also more of an underground cult following than bands like Priest or Queen.  Not that that takes away from his abilities, but I'm not sure that a relatively underground band in the '80s like Helloween really qualifies to put this guy in the category of all-time '80s glam/metal vocalist, at least in my mind.
Khan:  Not really '80s.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 10:06:04 AM »

Out of curiosity, who?

I'll grant you a couple of those, but not all.  Midnight?  You can't compare his 3-album 80s output to Tate's, then followed with a 10-year hiatus.  I haven't heard his solo stuff, so can't comment.  Hardly anyone knows Midnight as well (only 16 people voted in the 'showdown' he was in).  Alder... is hit and miss.  For years, he was a miss for me.  Now I can appreciate.  No way he compares to Tate's 80s work.  I can't argue Mercury/Halford one way or the other.  I would say Kiske and Khan are debatable.  Great in their own respect, but debatable when compared to Tate (on the whole, not simply looking at current state).

I don't see how the number of albums Tate did makes him better than Midnight. I personally rank the first two Crimson Glory albums over most of, if not all, the Queensryche albums. I listen to QR more often because they have a wider selection of great songs overall, sure, but that's not solely because of Tate. I like Queensryche because they're one of those bands where they're more than the sum of its parts. Tate's the least interesting part of the classic material IMO. On the other hand, Midnight is easily the highlight on the two CG albums.

Alder's voice is admittedly an acquired taste, but personally speaking, I just flat-out prefer him over Tate. Then again, I'm a bigger Fates Warning fan than I am a Queensryche fan. :lol

Certainly Kiske and Khan are debatable, and both are clearly influenced by Tate, but the minor differences both singers have over Tate are what make the difference for me. :lol For example, Khan has this darkness to his voice that I absolutely love.

To bosk and Shadow Ninja, I'm not looking at purely singers from the 80's. I'm just thinking in general. The other thing is that I'm not looking at overall popularity. :lol I'm also not trying to compare those singers to Steve Perry either. The only two that could compare with him would be Halford or Mercury.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 10:07:36 AM »
Well, yeah, if we're talking about all time favorites, I could probably come up a dozen or so that I'd put ahead of Tate.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 10:46:45 AM »
*what Bosk said*

Exactly spot on.

Well, yeah, if we're talking about all time favorites, I could probably come up a dozen or so that I'd put ahead of Tate.

Ditto.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 12:24:14 PM »
I hate you, Chad. 

As much as I can't stand Tate now, I have to respect his abilities in the '80s and not factor his present idiocy and vocal deterioration into the equation.  So while I love Perry:

When I think of the vocalists that have got through already and  one of these legends has to go out at round 1? You're a cruel man Chad.

Tate was my favourite vocalist ever. Those 1st 4 QR albums  :hefdaddy
Perry is a great singer but not as much my style. I don't have any soul  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 01:49:27 PM »
Freddie Mercury
Steve Walsh
Rob Halford

Those three are a good start.  Even if you think Tate's prime was better than the prime of those three (which I do not), saying their primes cannot touch Tate's prime is just, well, erroneous. :biggrin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 02:33:52 PM »
erroneous statement is erroneous.

Oddly enough, I normally find this meme annoying, but it's amusing me today, so what the heck.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 02:36:54 PM »
Perry is amazing but Tate is just another level.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 04:24:24 PM »
I'm taking Tate in this easily.

Alder couldn't touch Tate at their peaks.

And I'm a Kiske guy. No one is better to me. Keepers Pt.2 slightly beats out O:M.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 04:26:21 PM »
Steve Perry, for sure
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 07:00:48 PM »
Definitely Tate.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2013, 07:23:19 PM »
I hate you, Chad. 

When I think of the vocalists that have got through already and  one of these legends has to go out at round 1? You're a cruel man Chad.

Tate was my favourite vocalist ever. Those 1st 4 QR albums  :hefdaddy
Perry is a great singer but not as much my style. I don't have any soul  :biggrin:

I know, but truthfully, when it comes to 80s and metal vocalists, any other singers against either of these two would've been a landslide.  This is like the irresistible force against the immovable object.   :biggrin:  And the poll results validate that (so far).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 07:33:49 PM »
Face it, Chad.  You are just an evil, wicked person.