Author Topic: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Final Recap  (Read 17646 times)

Offline Ruba

Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Superman's Dead #46,45
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2013, 10:49:26 AM »
Moving Pictures is very good, but nowhere near to be my favourite Rush album.

Our Lady Peace sounds interesting. Can't promise to check them out in a near future though, I have loads of other bands to check out too.

Offline Outcrier

Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Superman's Dead #46,45
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2013, 11:21:35 AM »
I prefer Hemispheres a little bit more than Moving Pictures.
Cygnus part 2, The Trees and Villa Strangiatto in just one album
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Orthogonal

Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For #44,43
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2013, 05:49:14 PM »
44. U2 - Joshua Tree [1987]

Track Picks: Where the Streets Have No Name, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, With or Without You, In God's Country

Chances are you've heard this one, considering it is one of the greatest selling album's of all time with over 25 Million sold to date. This is a bona-fide Hall-of-Fame-5-Star-Best-in-Class pop rock album. It has been played and over-played for years, but for good reason, it is a timeless classic in the pop rock world. I still have fond memories of slow dancing to "With or Without You" at school dances and other times just kicking back on the couch and chilling to "Where the Streets Have No Name".

Why it should be ranked lower: It shouldn't, it's a classic

Why it should be ranked higher: My bias for prog is keeping it down

43. Savatage - Poets & Madmen [2003]

Track Picks: Stay With Me Awhile, Commisar, Morphine Child, Surrender

When I first heard this album I didn't like it, in fact, I hated it. I didn't even make it through the first spin before ejecting the cd, tossing it in the corner and forgetting about it. I don't remember why exactly. Maybe I couldn't deal with Zak moving on or maybe I had Taco Bell for lunch that day, but fast forward a couple of years and I come across it again and decided to give it another chance. This time, I pop it in and was blown away. Wow, now I'm kicking myself for depriving myself of it's awesomeness. Savatage has always been a bit of an acqcuired taste with Jon Oliva's signature talk-singing style, but that was something I was more than accustomed too. At the time, it was clear that this was going to be a transition album with Jon now taking over primary vocal duties and Al Pitrelli's departure for Megadeth (he had some contributions to this record). It's too bad this would be the last we hear from them in 10 years now. The liner notes painted a fairly positive picture of the outlook of the band after signing with Nuclear Blast. Of course, they haven't disappeared, but pushing on with the more commercially successful Trans-Siberian Orchestra brand (which also plays a bit of Savatage now and then), and who can blame them. I wish them the best and am glad they found success but I digress. What about this album? With one fewer guitar player, the song writing is a bit tighter and composed, yet still manages to be a fairly heavy album. Most songs are fairly straight forward rockers, but still fresh and new for a band that has already traversed such a long and winding road. "Morphine Child" is a clear stand out as the most proggy blending numerous different musical styles and influences into an Epic piece. "Man in the Mirror" seems to harken back to the old days as a more classic Savatage tune. The closer "Back to Reason" is a great ballad that ends on a nice note. If you missed Zak behind the mic, like I did, you'll be pleased to hear the bonus track "Shotgun Innocence" for a nice trip down memory lane.

Why it should be ranked lower: There must be some reason why I didn't like it at first.

Why it should be ranked higher: Whether you like it or not, this is the Savatage swan song* and for that it's something special.

*Rumor has it in the Savatage thread they might get back together for one last hurrah and release an EP to formally close this chapter.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:32:14 PM by Orthogonal »

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Joshua Tree's first 3 songs stand up there with any album, but it falls off a lot for me after that.  It's still a good listen but doesn't make my top 50.  WTSHNN is one of the great album openers of all time.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Excellent description of Joshua Tree.

Savatage has been hit and miss... still trying to totally click with them.  I just bought their entire discography within the last couple of years, so it's a lot to digest.  But as I said recently in my Oliva vs Stevens poll, "why the hell don't I listen to more Savatage?"
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orthogonal

Like I said in my description, Savatage can be a bit of an acquired taste, and they also changed A LOT over the years as they moved through a few different era's so it's understandable if several album's don't quite stick with you, but for the ones that do, it's addicting.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Love Savatage and enjoy all of their discs. This one is on the lower end but its still great.

Offline SoundscapeMN

Red Hill Mining Town  :heart

Offline Orthogonal

Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v My Hero #42,41
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2013, 11:53:29 AM »
42. Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape [1997]

Track Picks: Monkey Wrench, My Hero, February Stars, Everlong, Walking After You

I was never a big fan of Nirvana, even though I listened to them a fair amount back in the day. However, Dave Grohl's Foo Fighters managed to hit me in a way Nirvana never could. It may feature standard post-grunge tendencies, but this album is composed and memorable. The mid-tempo rockers "My Hero" and "Everlong" may have received some of the most radio play over the years, but it is the gentler "February Stars" and "Walking After You" which provide the necessary balance to the album and allow them to really stand out. "Monkey Wrench" is a fan favorite and very likable in an endearing kind of way. Overall, the album features great production and consistently good hooks to keep anyone entertained.

Why it should be ranked lower: Kind of a trendy pick from back in the day

Why it should be ranked higher: Beats the pants off anything Grohl did in Nirvana

41. Serenity - Fallen Sanctuary [2008]

Track Picks: All Lights Reversed, Rust of Coming Ages, Fairytales, Velatum, Sheltered (By the Obscure)

Here is a very underrated and under-talked-about (I made that up) prog/power metal band that deserves much more attention than it receives. Think the chops of Kamelot with the vocal delivery of Sonata Arctica. Serenity is a band with a very big sound. They have two trademark song-writing tendencies that make them a lot of fun to listen too. First, is the towering melodies and impressive vocals George Nuehauser delivers who can sing circles around Kahn and Kakko (I'd get into too much trouble if I suggested he'd outdo new Kamelot lead Karevik, but I personally think he gives him a run for his money). The 2nd is their penchant for opening songs with Monster intro's, not necessarily on every track, but enough to consistently blow you away. Fallen Sanctuary is their sophomore release which is very similar stylistically to their debut Words Untold & Dreams Unlived, but with a much more mature and focused writing style. The opening track "All Lights Reversed" is a stunning and in-your-face rocker and a very memorable chorus melody. "Fairytales" is a beautiful and enchanting ballad about the heartache of losing someone and seeing them moving on with someone else. The power ballad/rocker "Velatum" is a highlight of the album and an exemplary display of the towering vocals and wall-of-sound sonic assault for which they are known for.

Note: There is some scattered use of harsh vocal's on a few tracks, but it's not featured prominently and is usually lower in the mix for contrast/background.

Check out Velatum here.

Why it should be ranked lower: Not the most original music.

Why it should be ranked higher: Hella fun to listen too. I never tire of those killer intro's.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:08:12 PM by Orthogonal »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v My Hero #42,41
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2013, 12:16:22 PM »
Serenity is f'n amazing.  Nick hooked me on to them, and it was an instant purchase of their discography.  All four albums are spectacular!

Foo Fighters... not so much of a fan.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2013, 12:42:32 PM »
I like about half of every Foo Fighters album, and this one is no exception.  Dave Grohl >>>>>> Kurt Cobain in my book.  Plus he's an unabashed Rush fan.

I still have yet to find a power metal band that I can stand though.  It's just not my thing I guess.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2013, 09:06:19 PM »
The last few updates haven't elicited as much discussion as I would have thought, but that's ok, I'm pretty sure the next few will be a little more exciting.

Here's the rundown so far.

50. Live - Throwing Copper
49. Kamelot - The Black Halo
48. Queensryche - Promised Land
47. Cloudscape - Global Drama
46. Our Lady Peace - Clumsy
45. Rush - Moving Pictures
44. U2 - Joshua Tree
43. Savatage - Poets & Madmen
42. Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
41. Serenity - Fallen Sanctuary

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2013, 09:09:15 PM »
Haven't gotten into Serenity yet. Heard a few songs on Nick's show, but I'm not convinced.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2013, 07:38:29 AM »
Your list is off to a good start.  I like you have some albums considered more commercial on my list, so it's good to see people appreciating good music and not being too elitist about it.

Offline Orthogonal

Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v How can a single drop percieve #40,39
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2013, 09:30:43 AM »

40. Angra - Rebirth [2001]

Track Picks: Nova Era, Millenium Sun, Acid Rain, Heroes of Sand, Unholy Wars

Angra is a great prog/power metal band hailing from Brazil. Rebirth is a transition album for the band and hints at the turmoil that went on behind the scenes as they nearly disbanded and in some ways did as this album features a lot of new folks in the line-up, most significantly after the departure of lead singer Andre Matos, we have Edu Falaschi taking over behind the mic. This is also perhaps the greatest evolution in the band's sound from inception and shows them diverging a bit more towards a symphonically driven sound. Starting off with the "In Excelsis" prelude it jumps into the most excellent "Nova Era" which really displays the power Edu can bring to the band. "Millenium Sun" is my personal favorite, a softer song with vocals over piano and eventually cello with the rest of the band and helps display the bands diversity. The album weaves through many different styles and themes including the "Unholy Wars" complete with a tribal chanting and harmonic melodies.

Why it should be ranked lower: A little more prog could have done it well

Why it should be ranked higher: A brilliant comeback from the brink, hits all the right notes.

39. Beyond the Bridge - The Old Man and the Spirit [2012]

Track Picks: The Call, Triumph of Irreality, A World of Wonders, Doorway to Salvation, Where the Earth and Sky Meet, All a Man Can Do

Recently I've developed a thing for bands featuring tandem male/female lead vocals. What better way to indulge on this new fetish than with the outstanding debut album from Beyond the Bridge. I could do a write-up for this, but I think the full review from our very own Lonestar is probably a better way to put it, so I'll just  link that here.

Why it should be ranked lower: Can an album released just last year really be qualified for Top 50?

Why it should be ranked higher: You bet your ass it can. I see this album creeping up the ranks over the years.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2013, 10:12:37 AM »
Two fabulous albums.  Old Man was my AOTY for '12.  Flawless, absolutely flawless.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2013, 10:45:46 AM »
I actually haven't heard Beyond the Bridge before, so I'm listening to it now.  It seems really good.  Absolutely great musicianship and writing.  I think it would have a hard time cracking my top 50 because of the occasional/subtle power metal leanings.  Those "faults" are much less present than with other bands though, and given enough time I might be able to embrace it.  This is exactly why I like following these top 50 lists; I am bound to find great stuff I've somehow missed.

Thanks!

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2013, 11:00:22 AM »
 :tup I've found lots of good stuff from other folks here too.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2013, 01:14:15 PM »
Great last update, and good call on Poets and Madmen - it's my favourite Savatage album, easily. I can understand that after Zak's vox Jon's way of "singing" takes a while to get used to - maybe I love it so much because it was my first Savatage album as well.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Orthogonal

Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Rorororo #38,37
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2013, 02:50:45 PM »
38. Between the Buried and Me - Colors [2007]

Track Picks: Foam Born (A) The Backtrack, Foam Born (B) The Decade of Statues, Ants of the Sky, Prequel to the Sequal, White Walls

WHIIIIITE WAAAAALLLLLS!!!! Killer album from Between the Buried and Me. It was my first exposure to them and it was also around the time I was just beginning to enjoy harsh vocals. Their brand of adult contemporary death metal is the kind of music folks get into when just starting down the more extreme path. Mixing lots of proggy and melodic sections interspersed with gutteral and brutal growling over roaring guitars and drums. Colors is more proggy than previous albums and slightly more mainstream in its approach. The album starts by lulling the listener into a false sense of security with its simple beauty in "Foam Born (A)" and then coming out of no where with bone crunching riffs and growls in "Foam Born (B)" to smack you back into reality. The the album is filled with lots of twists and turns and some incredible displays of musicianship and song-writing. "Prequel to the Sequal" opens with a brilliant proggy and thematic opening before ramping into a more standard rocker. "White Walls" is an epic closer that brings everything to a satisfying conclusion.

Why it should be ranked lower: Did they sell out to be more trendy and accessible?

Why it should be ranked higher: Who are we kidding, this will never mainstream. It's still an awesome experience.

37. Mastodon - Blood Mountain [2006]

Track Picks: The Wolf is Loose, Sleeping Giant, Capillarian Crest, Colony of Birchmen, Siberian Divide

It took me a while to get into Mastodon's brand of proggy/sludge metal, but even more so is their history of mixing things up and changing their sound considerably over the years from one album to the next. However, once you give it time to digest, it opens up and becomes an amazing band to listen too. Blood Mountain was perhaps the most radical change in their sound from the previous and more extreme metal album "Leviathan" (but this is no less intense). It also routinely gets overlooked by the more proggy "Crack the Skye", but the underrated Blood Mountain deserves some love and praise too. Lots of solid tracks and rarely a moment to catch your breath as it's filled with aggressive, thundering passages. I'll spare you more detailed track-by-track analysis since it's music you should really hear for yourself to judge, but if you can handle the heat, give this a shot.

Why it should be ranked lower: Feels a bit like a transition album and a preview to something more.

Why it should be ranked higher: It shouldn't be sold short for what it is, top-notch metal.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:55:53 PM by Orthogonal »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Rorororo #38,37
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2013, 04:06:24 PM »
Not a fan of either.  "sludge" to describe anything just doesn't appeal to me.  And I'm just not a growlie/harsh vocal kinda guy

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2013, 04:52:55 PM »
It's all good, although, I seem to recall you like several albums that do have some growls in them. Come over to the darkside, it's better over here.  :hat

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2013, 05:49:37 PM »
A LOT of great albums there. Props to you for giving credit to Beyond the Bridge. That album is stellar.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2013, 06:28:41 PM »
I came for rororo. I was not disappointed.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2013, 07:42:21 PM »
Not a fan of either.  "sludge" to describe anything just doesn't appeal to me.  And I'm just not a growlie/harsh vocal kinda guy

This is me too.  I've tried and tried to give the vocals a chance, and it just turns me off too much.  I don't get it.  Why are you growling?  Might as well do a chipmunks version, it's just as silly.  I certainly recognize the musical talent these guys have though, I've given both of these bands a chance.

Offline adace

« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2013, 07:44:42 PM »
Colors is great but not my favorite BTBAM album. Ditto for Blood Mountain.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2013, 08:09:35 PM »
It's all good, although, I seem to recall you like several albums that do have some growls in them. Come over to the darkside, it's better over here.  :hat

Growls have their place, and when done tastefully and fittingly in the context of the song or album, I can handle them.  Flaming Row, The Human Equation and others... it works.  When they are the dominant vocal style, like nicmos said, I have tried, but I just can't.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2013, 11:22:23 PM »
still following, just rarely visiting. props on BTBAM, Mastodon, and Angra.

not my favorite BTBAM, and my least favorite Edu-era Angra, but blood Mountain has been scientifically proven as the best album by Mastodon, so you nailed that one.

hadnt heard Beyond the Bridge before. checked out some samples and enjoyed.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2013, 11:29:41 PM »

36. Pathosray - Pathosray [2007]

Track Picks: Faded Crystals, Scent of Snow, The Sad Game, Strange Kind of Energy

Pathosray is a band hailing from Italy and in 2007 made their mark with their eponymous debut. It has been fairly overlooked and underrated for the most part, but is special album that deserves a look by any true prog metal fan. The best way to describe their sound is Bone Crushing. This album is heavy, but also incredibly melodic and proggy. The vocals give it a strong retro 80's vibe but the music is both fresh and modern. "Faded Crystals" kicks in after the brief piano lead instrumental prelude "Free of Dount" into an all out balls-to-the-wall riffing and aggressive vocals before transitioning to a proggy and soaring melodic chorus and bridge. "Scent of Snow" is a very commercial and accessible tune and also has the strongest old-school feel. "Strange Kind of Energy" is probably the most straightforward track, but stands out with a great chorus and melody.

Why it should be ranked lower: Can be a bit "samey"

Why it should be ranked higher: This is a good spot, the competition is heating up.

35. Redemption - Snowfall on Judgement Day [2009]

Track Picks: Peel, Walls, Black and White World, Love Kills Us All / Life in One Day

I enjoy Redemption, but they have always seemed like they were just a good band, not a great band, but with "Snowfall on Judgement Day" they knocked it out of the park. Ray Alder delivers an outstanding vocal performance that is arguably his best. "Peel" is an excellent opener  that starts out innocent enough before kicking into high gear with corrosive riffing. The album peaks early with the brilliant "Black and White World" delivering a stunning and atmospheric song topped with an excellent concluding outro/chorus. James Labrie makes a brief guest appearance in "Another Day Dies". It's a decent enough song, but as much as I love James, his inclusion is seemingly random and kind of disrupts the flow of the album to that point. The closer and dual song "Love Kills Us All / Life in One Day" is an epic and enjoyable conclusion to 70 minutes of fantastic prog metal.

Why it should be ranked lower: Would have preferred Ray Alder exclusively behind the mic

Why it should be ranked higher: Always sounds fresh, even after repeated listens.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2013, 11:39:00 PM »
with "Snowfall on Judgement Day" they knocked it out of the park.

yes. yes they did.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v #36,35
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2013, 03:27:50 AM »
Somehow I knew Snowfall would show up on this list.  It is a great album.  A bit relentless at times.  I think Alder sounds a bit on the whiny side to be honest, and a little too political in a few places.  When I need an dose of Vitamin Chug though, this album does the trick.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2013, 04:04:33 AM »
I love James on that song.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2013, 05:33:14 AM »
Two great picks there.  Unreal how many great power metal bands come out of Italy.  Scent of Snow is a killer tune indeed.

Love Snowfall, but it's not my fave Redemption album.

Excellent additions to the list.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2013, 10:40:32 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback, it's fun to hear how everyone else responds to these threads.

34. Circus Maximus - Nine [2012]

Track Picks: Architect of Fortune, Namaste, Reach Within, I Am, Burn After Reading, Last Goodbye

One of the many Dream Theater clone bands making a name for themselves is the plucky Circus Maximus. I shouldn't sell them short by calling them simply a "clone" or wannabe band, because they are brilliant musicians at the top of their craft. "Nine" is the third album by the Norwegian quintet. When I first heard it I wasn't quite sure what to think of it since it is a shift from earlier heavier works into a more commercially accessible approach filled with numerous 4-5 minute songs. It wasn't the album I wanted from them. Once I got over the silly pretense of me thinking what was best for them to do and accepted it for what it is, I loved it. Despite it's more mainstream feel, there are still plenty of progressive elements to keep long time fans happy. After a brief ambient prelude track, it opens with the main event in one of the few longer tracks in the excellent "Architect of Fortune" which begins with a thematic guitar solo taking cues from the eventual chorus melody. "I Am" is a memorable and straightforward rocker featuring some of the best guitar work on the album with a fantastic solo to boot. "Burn After Reading" has an incredible grandiose atmosphere that builds to become the highlight of the album.

Why it should be ranked lower: Some folks may not like the commercial prog approach

Why it should be ranked higher: Very catchy and melodic album that shows true progression in their careers

33, 32. Big Big Train - English Electric Part 1 [2012], English Electric Part 2 [2013]

Track Picks Part 1: The First Rebreather, Winchester From St. Giles Hill, Judas Unrepentant, A Boy In Darkness, Hedgerow
Track Picks Part 2: East Coast Racer, Worked Out, Keeper of Abbeys, The Permanent Way

*For ranking purposes I considered these one album, but they take up two slots on the list*

One word: Gorgeous. I could probably end the review right there, but I think I should talk about this amazing gem a little bit more. Big Big Train have been around for a while but it was late in their careers that they managed to put everything together and create some magic. Their sound could be described as a modern Genesis, hell, even lead singer David Longden is a dead ringer for Peter Gabriel. This is a pair of album's that just exude quality craftmenship. From the moment "The First Rebreather" plays on your speakers you are delighted to a gorgeous melodically driven piece that will sweep you up in all its glory. It is pretty much a futile effort to pick a favorite track here because I could just as easily say my favorite is whatever is playing at the time. "Judas Unrepentant" has a groovy organ opening that distingushes it from the rest of the album. If I were to pick a favorite of Part 1 then "A Boy in Darkness" would be a contender with it's dark and melancholy opening that eventually transitions into a fun and energetic jazz instrumental bridge. Part 2 kicks things off with an epic 15 minute opener with "East Coast Racer" that lives up to the consistent quality set in part 1. "Keeper of Abbeys" is a very accessible and fun tune that anyone would enjoy. Overall, this a must listen album. It has yet to leave my regular rotation since release and I see it staying there for a long time.

Why it should be ranked lower: Still pretty new to be here right, lots of 2012 albums for some reason.

Why it should be ranked higher: It's an instant classic. This will be moving up the rankings quickly.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:53:27 AM by Orthogonal »

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2013, 10:05:25 PM »

31. Symphony X - The Odyssey [2002]

Track Picks: Inferno(Unleash the Fire), Accolade II, King of Terrors, Awakenings, The Odyssey

No Top 50 list featuring progressive metal would be complete without a little Symphony X. "The Odyssey" is great addition to their ever growing discography. Romeo slays on this album and kicks things off with "Inferno" with some wicked and relentless riffing. We're also treated, for better or worse, to vocalist Russel Allen beginning to more commonly use a slightly harsher or raspy vocal delivery. "Accolade II" is a sequel to one of their greatest hits "Accolade" from The Divine Wings of Tragedy that successfully recaptures the magic of the original but expands on some new themes. The album has a solid balance between heavy riffing and thrash oriented songs and the more proggy and melodic that SymX is renowned for. It all builds to a fever pitch near the close of the album with the epic 24 Minute multi-part title track. "The Odyssey" based on Homer's Illiad is a great re-imagining of the tale with top-notch production and professional presentation.  It begins with a full orchestra as the rest of the band slowly integrates in a kind of Metallica S&M way. The orchestra is more than just filler, but an extension of the band that helps bring the track to life. It then transitions to acoustic guitar and vocals before moving through many different themes both heavy, soft, bombastic and magnificent.

Why it should be ranked lower: It's the album that starts the transition to more chugga-chugga dominant albums.

Why it should be ranked higher: The title track alone puts it on the Top 50 list, the rest is just gravy.

30. Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I [2012]

Track Picks: Tapestry of the Starless Abstract, Forget Not, And Plague Flowers the Kaleidoscope, As Icicles Fall

This is an amazing debut album by a progressive black metal group. "Portal of I" was a labor of love that was fraught with delay's and nearly breaking up the band, but 5 years after the initial demo's, the world was given this amazing gem. The band is fairly comparable to Opeth in style, but they are unique by way of the inclusion of a Violin as a primary instrument in the band. Similar to Opeth, songs are fairly non-standard structurally and generally travel ample musical territory as they move from one section to the next and largely ignoring the verse/chorus paradigm. Most songs will have a mix of pummeling guitars, blast beats and harsh vocals contrasted with acoustic, folk playing laced with clean vocals. However, I would be remiss to simply label them an Opeth clone because they do some really incredible things with the Violin that elevates the music to a new level. Violin's are not unheard of in the metal world, but their scant use can be fairly gimmicky. In the case of NeO, they use it perfection and carve out a unique signature sound. The album opens with "Tapestry of the Starless Abstract" that immediately grabs your attention and quickly introduces you to their unique brand of black metal prog. It moves from aggressive, to ambient and back and keeps you on your toes till the end. "Forget Not" is a fantastic and creative song that is the most impressive use of Violin on the album, the first 6 1/2 minutes is entirely instrumental before adding clean over harsh vocals and then taking a wild left turn near the end in an intense finale.

The last several minutes of this song may not be for the faint of heart, but at least check out the first half to see how awesome this is. It takes a couple minutes to really get going.
Ne Obliviscaris - Forget Not

Why it should be ranked lower: Last one from 2012, I promise.

Why it should be ranked higher: My AOTY, this is how a band should make a debut.