Author Topic: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Final Recap  (Read 17639 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v New Kids on the Block
« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2013, 02:50:51 PM »
Ortho, I started following but I lost touch. Not an Opeth fan, though I do like Ghost Reveries, but everything on this page is an absolute winner. Barely a Sym X fan, but Divine Wings is great, and easily better than V.
Gonna go back through the thread.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orthogonal

Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v #1 Album of All Time!!!
« Reply #176 on: October 02, 2013, 09:32:19 PM »
1. Dream Theater - Images & Words [1992]

Track Picks: Pull Me Under, Another Day, Take The Time, Surrounded, Metroplis PT.1, Under A Glass Moon, Wait For Sleep, Learning To Live

Here it is, the greatest album of all time. Could it have been anything else? It was my first Dream Theater album and my first real prog metal album (Does Queensryche count? kinda sorta, not really). You'll probably think it is with a heaping pile of nostalgia that I put my first real prog album ranked at number 1, but I like to think it was fate. When I got it home I opened the package and scanned the lyrics and liner notes and had a few thoughts. Calling the music "Images" and the lyrics "Words" was clever, if not a bit pretentious  :D. What could they possibly go on about for so long with tracks clocking in at 9 - 11 minutes long and will I be bored to tears? Well, I didn't know what to expect, so I popped it in with a bit of apprehension and braced for it. Then it came. WOW! Never heard anything quite like this. I didn't know music like this was even possible. "Pull Me Under", the Greatest Hit and only real single is an impressive mid-tempo metal tune that still enjoys occasional radio play today. I was particularly enthralled with "Another Day" with the inclusion of a soprano saxophone since I was a saxophone player myself at the time. "Take the Time" was my first favorite song with it's winding and epic climactic buildup and release. Labrie has some of his best vocal moments here. "Surrounded", with its slow and melodic buildup before going into overdrive. Then there is "Metropolis PT.1", the quintessential DT song. It was by this track that I knew I was listening to something truly special, I mean, who does that. "Under A Glass Moon" didn't stick out to me much at all for a long time, but now it is one of my all time favorites and has one of Petrucci's most memorable solo's. "Wait For Sleep" is an unusual and very creative piano driven melodic song. They don't write music like this any more and it's a shame because it is so original. Probably due to the departure of Kevin Moore, but that's another topic. Concluding with "Learning To Live" and epic, grooving and jazzy song that leaves a lasting impression. All around, it's a glorious and marvelous work. In a word: Masterpiece.

Why it should be ranked lower: It can't, this is the greatest album of all time. If you disagree, you should take a good, long look in the mirror and figure out why it's not and readjust your life accordingly.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v #1 Album of All Time!!!
« Reply #177 on: October 02, 2013, 09:36:56 PM »
 :metal

:tup

:hefdaddy

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #178 on: October 02, 2013, 09:38:38 PM »
:iagree:

'Twas #1 for me as well. Everything you said is spot on.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2013, 09:38:47 PM »
I can't complain with that one!  :tup :tup
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2013, 09:42:46 PM »
Classic, don't even comes close of being the greatest album though  :P
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2013, 09:47:59 PM »
^ I haven't heard every album yet, but I'm going to keep looking and nothing has topped it yet.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2013, 09:58:18 PM »
Yeah, 2 years from now, your favorite might be a jazz album, a prog rock album, you know... everything is possible, much music that we not have heard yet.
2 or 3 years ago, i only cared for metal (prog metal most) and thought Scenes was the best thing ever and now, in the present, it totally changed and i hardly listen to metal anymore, something i would never have imagined.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #183 on: October 02, 2013, 10:15:19 PM »
That's true. I am only just beginning to explore other genre's that are still related to prog in some way let alone others. I didn't place Images & Words at number one initially, it took several years to solidify there. Master of Puppets and Operation: Mindcrime traded places at #1 for me at some time 12-17 years ago and I may have even briefly had a Savatage album there. I even had Awake as my favorite DT album for a few years after discovering them and now that's slipped several spots.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2013, 10:23:58 PM »
So, what is the next step?

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #185 on: October 02, 2013, 10:29:34 PM »
Next step?

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #186 on: October 02, 2013, 10:33:27 PM »
Orthogonal: "Specifically, I've gained a tolerance and appreciation for harsh/growling vocals and secondly, I started to enjoy non-metal prog rock."

What's comes next?
When i was in my "Prog Metal phase", my next step was checking Symphonic prog.
Liked some passages but not whole songs... then i checked some Canterbury Scene albums and it all clicked (70's prog in general).

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2013, 10:38:06 PM »
ic, as I explained in my OP, I have been on a tear discovering new bands in the last year with the purchase of some 150+ albums in a little over a year. My current gameplan (probably starting in 2014) is to stop trying new bands until I fill in the back catalog of the band's I'm already checking out and then making a big change. Specifically, going to late 60's and early 70's prog with bands like Yes, Genesis, King Crimson etc... bands that I have really no exposure too. We'll see how it goes from there.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2013, 10:44:05 PM »
I recommend you checking this albums before going into Yes or Genesis:

Camel - Mirage
Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink
Khan - Space Shanty

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #189 on: October 02, 2013, 10:48:25 PM »
Thanks for the recs. I'll keep them in mind when I get to that point. I just need a ton of cash and a lot of time now  :hat

Offline jsem

« Reply #190 on: October 03, 2013, 05:52:49 AM »
Fitting #1. The list feels a bit samey to me though, but you can't help the fact that these are the 50 albums you enjoy the most. Was a good read.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #191 on: October 03, 2013, 06:19:35 AM »
:iagree:

'Twas #1 for me as well. Everything you said is spot on.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #192 on: October 03, 2013, 07:46:18 AM »
My prediction was actually right.  Funny about that.

Have enjoyed your write-ups.  Good list, good write-ups.  Can't ask for more than that.

Well, you could ask for the moderator to pronounce your username correctly when he's asking your question to Dream Theater, ha :)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #193 on: October 03, 2013, 08:38:29 AM »
This was a good list.  I didn't learn about anything new here, but enjoyed the thread.  :biggrin:

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: October 03, 2013, 10:05:10 AM »
great number 1

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #195 on: October 03, 2013, 11:19:43 AM »
Fitting #1. The list feels a bit samey to me though, but you can't help the fact that these are the 50 albums you enjoy the most. Was a good read.
Yeah, and I kinda hinted at that a bit in the OP, but C'est la vie. Although, I think there is still a fair amount of variation here. It's pretty interesting how diverse and broad prog can be. The fact that you can loosely associate a band like Mastodon and Porcupine Tree under the wide net of Prog is pretty astounding and that's what makes this type of music so fun.

My prediction was actually right.  Funny about that.

Have enjoyed your write-ups.  Good list, good write-ups.  Can't ask for more than that.

Well, you could ask for the moderator to pronounce your username correctly when he's asking your question to Dream Theater, ha :)

I guess I'm just too predictable  ;). Thanks for following and I enjoyed your frequent comments. Also, few can pronounce my username correctly so I won't hold it against them, you have to be kind of a math geek to even know what it is, let alone pronounce it.

This was a good list.  I didn't learn about anything new here, but enjoyed the thread.  :biggrin:

Really, Nothing?!?! Wow, I guess I should check out your Top 50 then.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: October 03, 2013, 12:11:08 PM »
ic, as I explained in my OP, I have been on a tear discovering new bands in the last year with the purchase of some 150+ albums in a little over a year. My current gameplan (probably starting in 2014) is to stop trying new bands until I fill in the back catalog of the band's I'm already checking out and then making a big change. Specifically, going to late 60's and early 70's prog with bands like Yes, Genesis, King Crimson etc... bands that I have really no exposure too. We'll see how it goes from there.

Let me know how that works out for you.  I tried to make a 'new years resolution' back in Jan to do just that, and really get to KNOW all the bands/albums that DTF has exposed me to over the past couple of years.  That lasted about 5 weeks.

I blame lonestar and obscure primarily.  :lol  Nick/WPAPU doesn't help the cause either.  Joe's been pretty evil to me too.

And I'll be firing up another roulette in a few months.

:whatthehellamithinking:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jsem

« Reply #197 on: October 03, 2013, 12:11:50 PM »
Lol, that's DTF for you.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #198 on: October 03, 2013, 12:56:58 PM »
Let me know how that works out for you.  I tried to make a 'new years resolution' back in Jan to do just that, and really get to KNOW all the bands/albums that DTF has exposed me to over the past couple of years.  That lasted about 5 weeks.

I'm sure I'll be setting myself up for failure by sticking around here, but I'm going to give it a shot. Definitely won't be doing a roulette any time soon, got way too many things to check out on my own before subjecting myself to that kind of onslaught. My wallet couldn't handle it.

Offline Orthogonal

Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Final Recap
« Reply #199 on: October 03, 2013, 01:08:53 PM »

Final list, the Top 50:

50. Live - Throwing Copper
49. Kamelot - The Black Halo
48. Queensryche - Promised Land
47. Cloudscape - Global Drama
46. Our Lady Peace - Clumsy
45. Rush - Moving Pictures
44. U2 - Joshua Tree
43. Savatage - Poets & Madmen
42. Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
41. Serenity - Fallen Sanctuary
40. Angra - Rebirth
39. Beyond the Bridge - The Old Man and the Spirit
38. Between the Buried and Me - Colors
37. Mastodon - Blood Mountain
36. Pathosray - Pathosray
35. Redemption - Snowfall on Judgement Day
34. Circus Maximus - Nine
33. Big Big Train - English Electric Part 2
32. Big Big Train - English Electric Part 1
31. Symphony X - The Odyssey
30. Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I
29. Queensryche - Empire
28. Circus Maximus - The 1st Chapter
27. Nightwish - Oceanborn
26. Royal Hunt - Paradox
25. Flaming Row - Ellinoire
24. Haken - Visions
23. Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
22. Sonata Arctica - Unia
21. Sieges Even - Paramount
20. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
19. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
18. Opeth - Still Life
17. Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
16. Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape
15. Shadow Gallery - Room V
14. Shadow Gallery - Tyranny
13. Symphony X - V: The New Mythology
12. Ayreon - The Human Equation
11. Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls
10. Savatage - Dead Winter Dead
9. Angra - Temple of Shadows
8. Metallica - Master of Puppets
7. Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy
6. Shadow Gallery - Carved in Stone
5. Opeth - Ghost Reveries
4. Queensryche - Operation: Mincrime
3. Dream Theater - Metropolis PT2: Scenes From a Memory
2. Opeth - Blackwater Park
1. Dream Theater - Images & Words

There it is!

Thanks for following, it was a lot of fun to do and there was a lot of good discussions. For those playing at home, here's your last chance to say how you did. I imagine a few folks around here are in the high 30's, maybe even low 40's. I'm not sure what that says about me or you, but we have a lot of musical tastes in common which you would expect on a site like this.

Offline jsem

Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Final Recap
« Reply #200 on: October 03, 2013, 02:12:10 PM »

I'm sure I'll be setting myself up for failure by sticking around here, but I'm going to give it a shot. Definitely won't be doing a roulette any time soon, got way too many things to check out on my own before subjecting myself to that kind of onslaught. My wallet couldn't handle it.
You don't have to buy EVERY album ever.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #201 on: October 03, 2013, 02:41:41 PM »
If I hear it and I like it, I do. It's an addiction.

Offline jsem

« Reply #202 on: October 03, 2013, 02:58:10 PM »
Oh boy, that's wallet shrinking.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: October 03, 2013, 09:11:38 PM »
33 for me.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #204 on: October 04, 2013, 10:34:36 AM »
Horrible album.

Cool list.  :tup

I like buying albums too, but I don't have too much money. So it's safer to listen online or get some albums from the library.