Author Topic: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Final Recap  (Read 17635 times)

Offline Orthogonal

Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v It's the Final Countdown #10,9
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2013, 03:12:12 PM »
Have you tried reading the lyrics and the liner notes, it is usually all there  ::)   ;D

Unless you typically get digital versions in which case its very easy to miss this kind of stuff.

Also, glad you completed your homework. Shadow Gallery is a treat best to indulge.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:19:56 PM by Orthogonal »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2013, 03:24:28 PM »
Yeah, I love Room V and I can't Say enough about Sieges Even
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #142 on: September 27, 2013, 06:24:59 PM »
Have you tried reading the lyrics and the liner notes, it is usually all there  ::)   ;D

Smart-ass!  :Debra:

Unless you typically get digital versions in which case its very easy to miss this kind of stuff.

Also, glad you completed your homework. Shadow Gallery is a treat best to indulge.

That.  I rarely buy physical copies.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orthogonal

Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Get Your Thrash On! #8,7
« Reply #143 on: September 27, 2013, 11:52:51 PM »
8. Metallica - Master of Puppets [1986]

Track Picks: Battery, Master of Puppets, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Disposable Heroes, Orion

No Top 50 Album list could be complete without something from Metallica. One of the four horses of Thrash metal and the standard bearer for the rise of Metal in the 80's. Is there any Metallica song that hasn't been played on the radio? Every one of their albums has something special (I refuse to acknowledge the existence of a release in 2003) but they are also a little hit-or-miss with me with the lone exception of "Master of Puppets" where they not only broke out in the Metal world, but released a genre defining album that would set the bar for years to come. It is intense, powerful and epic in ways that were unprecedented at the time of release. In some ways it's just an evolution of the direction started in "Ride the Lightning", but it takes that formula and blows it up to the next level. "Battery" is a peculiar and exhilarating track that is rather unique in the Metallica catalog. The title track is a masterpiece, and arguably the best and most creative track they ever wrote. Great rhythm, cool solo and even some progressive elements. "Welcome Home" is the closest thing to a ballad or mellow song that is also quite twisted. The assault continues later with songs like "Disposable Heroes" that deliver a great punch. "Orion" is an instrumental, and while nothing like a prog-metal affair, it has some notable moments that add a new wrinkle to an already great album.

Why it should be ranked lower: Like many other Metallica album's, it will wear you down. Not for the faint of heart.

Why it should be ranked higher: This is a Five Star Hall of Fame Album

7. Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy [1997]

Track Picks: Of Sins and Shadows, Sea of Lies, Out of the Ashes, The Accolade, Pharaoh, The Eyes of Medusa, The Divine Wings of Tragedy, Candlelight Fantasia

You may be surprised to see this here after the heap of praise I laid upon "V: The New Mythology", but yes, "The Divine Wings of Tragedy" manages to outclass that stellar release. It is chock full of many of the best songs Allen and Romeo and company ever set out to create. With a heavy thrash bend under a power metal shell, the boys from New Jersey unleashed an instant classic in 1997. "Of Sins and Shadows" is a great opener that is as heavy and chugging as you would imagine and features a blend of Allens metal vocals and a chorus with a more choir like effect. The opening to "Sea of Lies" has a killer bass groove that is rarely matched elsewhere. A song in the running for best Sym X song ever is the amazing "The Accolade" which is a more melodically driven power song that the band is known for. The title track is the first of many Sym X epics. It must be heard to be believed and is the highlight of the album with some intense metal fury and would you expect any less of a song inspired by John Milton's books "Paradise Lost" and "Paradise Regained" about the fallen angel Satan.

Why it should be ranked lower: "The Witching Hour" is ok, but boring by comparison to the rest of this album.

Why it should be ranked higher: It is the greatest power metal album ever created.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 12:03:45 AM by Orthogonal »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Get Your Thrash On! #8,7
« Reply #144 on: September 28, 2013, 03:28:41 AM »
Two major winners there

Offline Ruba

« Reply #145 on: September 28, 2013, 04:49:47 AM »
Master of Puppets is awesome  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2013, 05:25:46 AM »
No Top 50 Album list could be complete without something from Metallica.

I beg to differ.  MoP just doesn't click for me.  I don't get it.

TDWOT on the other hand is brilliant.  I too rank it higher than V, but not over The Odyssey.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v I Remember Now #12,11
« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2013, 07:10:06 AM »
I don't think I commented on Sieges Even - they are indeed fantastic, but I don't see much Christian content in their lyrics on their last two albums. Some very limited use of religious imagery on some songs (besides Iconic and Duende), but their stuff (and Markus Steffen's lyrics in Subsignal later on) is about humanity more than anything, although of course they could be interpreted in any other way. :)

I guess I just picked out more religious imagery than you I suppose. Songs like Bridge to the Divine, Eyes Wide Open  and Stigmata evoke lots of religious imagery. Nothing wrong with any of this, just thought it was noteworthy to point out. I still need to check out Subsignal, they are on my radar, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Yeah, I don't think it's wrong either :)

A little trivia: Markus and Arno (the guitarist and the singer) actually founded Subsignal before Sieges Even broke up, and Eyes Wide Open was the first song written for the band, but it ended up on Paramount instead. It was written upon the birth of Markus' daughter, the lyrics are dedicated to her and, DAMN, THAT'S SO BEAUTIFUL :'( :blush
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 07:18:26 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2013, 08:58:04 AM »
Glad to see you mentioned Disposable Heroes.  I think that might be the best song on the album, but as much as the album is praised I think that song is overlooked.  It is killer.

Offline Orthogonal

Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Ghost of Mother #6,5
« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2013, 11:00:26 AM »
I would like to slow things down for the Top 10 with individual entries, but by the end of next week I'll be unavailable for an extended period of time so I'm going to power through this and make sure it gets done rather than leave things on a cliffhanger. Speaking of cliffhanger...

6. Shadow Gallery - Carved in Stone [1995]

Track Picks: Cliffhanger, Crystalline Dream, Don't Ever Cry Just Remember, Celtic Princess, Deeper Than Life, Alaska

The sophomore release from Shadow Gallery is an exceptional album with an incredible display of prog-metal prowess. I was fortunate enough to discover this amazing band early in my prog-metal exploration days. Long before DTF, spotify, pandora and all other resources for finding music that match your tastes, it was a bit of a lucky chance that I ran into this album somewhere on an obscure website praising its name. It was essentially a blind purchase with nothing but hopes for something interesting. From the moment "Cliffhanger" kicks in with its dark and mysterious piano and ambience followed by acoustic guitar and then a towering and chilling guitar solo leading into the first verse, I knew I was in love, and I knew that I was way out in left field for musical tastes and would probably never relate to anyone again. "Crystalline Dream" is a slick and icy cool track with a great melody. By the time "Don't Ever Cry, Just Remember" starts up you realize how cool this band is. Flutes aren't exactly foreign to prog, but they aren't common either and the addition here adds a nice element to separate them from from the pack. The short instrumental "Celtic Princess" is a great moment that rises up among all the other brief segues on the album. "Deeper than Life" is perhaps a more standard mid-tempo rocker, but it's one of the most memorable songs here. "Alaska" is a great ballad and adds to the diversity and balance this album showcases. The final song "Ghostship" is an epic broken up into 8 separate tracks. It may not reach the highs of most prog-metal epic masterpieces, but it is still a great ending to a special album.

Why it should be ranked lower: It's not quite as refined as later albums

Why it should be ranked higher: Tons of creativity, they carve out their own unique sound and execute to perfection.

5. Opeth - Ghost Reveries [2005]

Track Picks: Ghost of Perdition, The Baying of the Hounds, Reverie/Harlequin Forest, Hours of Wealth, The Grand Conjuration, Isolation Years

What is it about Opeth and Mikael Akerfeldt that makes this music so damn good. I first thought it was due to the non-standard song structures that travel ample musical territory with numerous themes and contrasting dark/light elements, but that's not exactly unique in the prog world and has been done as well by many others. It finally hit me with "Ghost Reveries", Opeth has mastered the art of transitions. In what could be a recipe for disaster by changing things up so often throughout a song, Opeth fuses disparate elements together brilliantly. One moment a song is aggressive, monster riffing with gutteral growls and the next, acoustic guitar with icy smooth clean vocals and often times this transition can occur over just a few metres. The ability to add and peel off layers like this and create a moment that feels so natural is mind boggling. Perhaps no song exemplifies this better than the opener "Ghost of Perdition". Not only is it the best track on the album, but arguably the best in their catalog. It twists and weaves through incredibly dark and ominous moments to the flighty and ethereal and back again in a song that will no doubt impress. "The Baying of the Hounds" has some cool experimental moments. "Reverie/Harelquin Forest" does feel like two separate songs, but the opening is just killer. I could listen to the main verse over and over again with it's clean vocals over heavy riffing. "The Grand Conjuration" for as aggressive and heavy as it is, has a tinge of commercial appeal to it. Not that it will be played on the radio any time soon, but it feels a little more accessible than most tracks. Be sure to pick up the special edition which contains the Deep Purple cover "Soldier of Fortune".

Why it should be ranked lower: There's nothing below this album that should be higher, so it can't go any lower.

Why it should be ranked higher: It is the climax and conclusion to the signature sound Opeth had crafted, defined and redefined over the last 5 albums.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Ghost of Mother #6,5
« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2013, 01:24:46 PM »
Ghost Reveries! My favourite Opeth album :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2013, 06:25:31 PM »
I still need to give Shadow Gallery a more thorough listen.

Ghost Reveries, on the other hand  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #152 on: September 29, 2013, 11:13:43 AM »
Definitely give SG a chance. If you enjoy prog-metal, it should be a home run.

Offline Orthogonal

Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v I Remember Now 2.0 #4,3
« Reply #153 on: September 30, 2013, 10:05:07 AM »
4. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime [1988]

Track Picks: Revolution Calling, Operation: Mindcrime, Speak, Spreading the Disease, Suite Sister Mary, The Needle Lies, I Don't Believe in Love, Eyes of a Stranger

Concept album's had been done before, but few had been as ambitious as Queensryches "Operation: Mindcrime" about a druggie named Nikki who becomes a hit-man for a clandestine group focused on revolution. A puppet for the mysterious Dr. X, he does his dirty work. The story revolves around his affection with a nun-turned-prostitute named Mary who works for a corrupt Priest Father William. Dr. X orders Nikki to take them both out and things get real. Musically, this is a great album that re-inforces the story brilliantly. Mostly it's a mix of arena rock with some progressive elements. After the first couple tracks that just set up some back story, "Revolution Calling" kicks things off with signature Queensryche chops and some heavy political lyrical content. "Speak" continues the political rhetoric with some great riffing and melody. The longer "Suite Sister Mary" is an epic with a dark atmosphere complete with backing choir vocals. The more standard rockers like "I Don't Believe in Love" and "Eyes of a Stranger" are perhaps the most popular and played songs in their catalog and for good reason. Tate gives a performance for the ages and the rest of the band is at the top of their game.

Why it should be ranked lower: ummmm

Why it should be ranked higher: A landmark album that took concept album's to the next level.

3. Dream Theater - Metropolis PT2: Scenes From a Memory [1999]

Track Picks: Overture 1928, Strange Deja Vu, Fatal Tragedy, Beyond This Life, Home, The Dance of Eternity, One Last Time, The Spirit Carries On, Finally Free

Dream Theater, concept album, no brainer. I debated and flip flopped on swapping the ranking of this and Mindcrime several times. Ultimately it doesn't matter because they are both fantastic, but I gave the edge to SFAM because the story's payoff is just so damn good. DT pulls out all the stop to craft an all-timer of an album and one that is musically some of the most brilliant and complex ever written. "Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu" is the best opening combo on any DT album. "Beyond This Life" is brilliantly contrived as a newspaper article that serves to advance a critical point in the plot on top of being an outstanding prog metal song. The instrumental piece "The Dance of Eternity" has some mixed reception by the fans, but it is by far my favorite instrumental song in their catalog and it is mind-bogglingly complex with 108 time signature changes and the technical chops rarely matched in the industry. The penultimate "The Spirit Carries On" is a gorgeous ballad with a touching message that has become a fan favorite. The closer "Finally Free" is an awkward song on its own, but in the context of the full album is a masterfully crafted song that builds to the climactic conclusion. The section with the lyrics "Spirits rise through the air, all their fears disappear" is perhaps the best moment on not just this album, but of DT's whole career *chills*.

Why it should be ranked lower: It's almost too good...

Why it should be ranked higher: The best concept album ever written!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:42:48 AM by Orthogonal »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v I Remember Now 2.0 #4,3
« Reply #154 on: September 30, 2013, 10:19:37 AM »
Both are good albums, but I wouldn't rank either as high.

Also, Scenes From A Memory can never be the best concept album in a world where The Towers Of Avarice exists.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #155 on: September 30, 2013, 10:43:26 AM »
Zero Hour is on my list. Towers of Avarice is one of the 100 or so album's on my Amazon wishlist... I'll get to it eventually.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #156 on: September 30, 2013, 10:47:16 AM »
2 phenomenal albums.  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: September 30, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »

That right there. But O:M > SFAM.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #158 on: September 30, 2013, 12:39:10 PM »

That right there. But O:M > SFAM.

bingo.

I don't see how you can possibly call O:M arena rock though.  Maybe Breaking the Silence and I Don't Believe in Love (it's still a stretch), but the others are far from that.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #159 on: September 30, 2013, 01:56:27 PM »
I don't dislike SFAM, but I really think it gets overrated excessively here.  I burned out on it, and I haven't burned out on albums I've listened to many more times, O:M included

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #161 on: September 30, 2013, 05:08:47 PM »
I love you for placing Carved in Stone so high :heart
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ruba

« Reply #162 on: October 01, 2013, 03:35:51 AM »
The title made me think of O:M II  :lol.

I find these two albums overrated, but pretty good anyway. I prefer Mindcrime.

Offline Orthogonal

Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Devious Movements #2
« Reply #163 on: October 01, 2013, 01:08:45 PM »
2. Opeth - Blackwater Park [2001]

Track Picks: The Leper Affinity, Bleak, Harvest, The Drapery Falls, Dirge For November, The Funeral Portrait, Patterns in the Ivy, Blackwater Park

Take the musical Genius of Mikael Akerfeldt and now add the watchful eye and ear of Steven Wilson and we now have a recipe for something very special. 2001 saw the release of "Blackwater Park" to become the quentessential Opeth album and one that would launch their careers to a worldwide audience. I used to rank Ghost Reveries higher, but it hasn't aged quite as well as BWP. It takes everything that was great about "Still Life" and takes it to new heights. "Bleak" is an all-timer of a track and is arguably the best they've written. It was the song that sold me on Opeth when I felt growls were still a bit distasteful. After a few minutes of an eastern tinged death metal opening it transitions to clean vocals and deconstructs down to acoustic guitars and eventually coming to a full stop. After the short silence it builds into one of the best psychedelic metal instrumental sections ever. With "The Drapery Falls" we get another great psychedelic metal opening, but then a dark and folksy acoustic section very reminiscent of Matt Uelmen's score to Diablo the video game. TDF is full of great contrasting heavy and soft moments with some sudden transitions. For all the death metal fury, there is still some balance and moments of respite in "Harvest" and "Patterns in the Ivy" as gorgeous ballad and instrumental. The title track is a great closer and the only song to feature exclusively harsh vocals. Pick up the special edition for Patterns in the Ivy II (hard to find now), or get the Legacy edition for a behind-the-scenes documentary on the making of the album.

Why it should be ranked lower: Some may say it's just Still Life pt 2. Which is not a bad thing.

Why it should be ranked higher: It can't, because this album, like all others on this list are outclassed by #1.

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Devious Movements #2
« Reply #164 on: October 01, 2013, 01:46:10 PM »
I can't say enough good things about your list. It really has been fun to follow!

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2013, 02:33:58 PM »
BLACKWATER PARK FO LYFE!!!!!!!!!!!! :millahhhh
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #166 on: October 01, 2013, 02:40:25 PM »
Prediction: a certain Dream Theater album from the 90s at #1.

Offline jsem

« Reply #167 on: October 01, 2013, 04:08:08 PM »
Prediction: a certain Dream Theater album from the 90s at #1.
Yup. Falling Into Infinity. Calling it.

:neverusethis:

Offline Ruba

« Reply #168 on: October 02, 2013, 03:25:48 AM »
Blackwater Park is the only Opeth album I own. It's pretty good, but not really my kind of music. Three first songs are amazing, however.

The intro riff on The Funeral Portrait sounds quite similar to one on Another Day (after James sings "Than surrender to the secret" and before "wooooaaaaaah").

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #169 on: October 02, 2013, 04:05:28 AM »
My personal #4. Fucking amazing album.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Orthogonal

Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v New Kids on the Block
« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2013, 09:54:14 AM »
One last plug for some other band's before the final #1.

There have been a lot of bands that I've gotten into fairly recently and are good enough to flirt with a Top 50 ranking, but are just too new for me to feel good enough about squeezing them in. Some have already been highlighted in my initial Honorable Mentions like Anathema, Avantasia, Devin Townsend,  Spock's Beard etc. All fantastic band's with really good stuff. A few others worth mentioning but still have too much of a new car smell to fully get a handle on are:

Blind Guardian

Great Power Metal band. "At the Edge of Time" is kicking my ass. The opener "Sacred Worlds" is a killer track with a really cool full orchestra opening and buildup. Don't mind the cheesy settings, it's all in good fun.

Pagan's Mind

My favorite new band. Thanks to Jingle's and Dr. DTVT's Top 50's. I heard of them many years ago and for whatever reason they didn't click. I decided to give them a 2nd chance and BAM!, everything clicked and it's awesome. I could probably squeeze Celestial Entrance or Enigmatic Calling into my Top 50 now without too much of a fuss. They've been in my regular rotation for a few months now.

Riverside

Another band on my radar for many years that I couldn't get into, but I decided to take a 2nd look after Anno Domini High Definition was listed on a few folks Top 50's. Excellent band, lots of similarities to Porcupine Tree.

Katatonia

A band that has gone through a lot of changes, originally a death metal metal band but have more or less eschewed the harsh vocals now and writing much more melodic and down to earth pieces. Some progressive and doom elements are present. Song writing is very tight. Check them out.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v New Kids on the Block
« Reply #171 on: October 02, 2013, 11:05:51 AM »
all good bands.  Katatonia is a bit depressing though.  Pagan's Mind probably my favorite out of these.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:08:15 PM by nicmos »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #172 on: October 02, 2013, 01:13:05 PM »
Too bad there was no room for any Katatonia or Riverside albums in your list, but I'm happy to see them get honorable mentions.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #173 on: October 02, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »
Great list so far and I was really glad to see Sieges Even listed, though personally I think The Art of Navigating by the Stars is a masterpiece.   :D

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2013, 02:43:34 PM »
all good bands.  Katatonia is a bit depressing though.  Pagan's Mind probably my favorite out of these.

You like Blind Guardian? Cool, I thought power metal wasn't your thing, or I'm confusing that with someone else.

Too bad there was no room for any Katatonia or Riverside albums in your list, but I'm happy to see them get honorable mentions.

If I ever do a V2, I can see them making it on there. I just don't have enough time with these bands yet and for these 2 in particular, I have less than half their album's, so I still need to get familiar with that.

Great list so far and I was really glad to see Sieges Even listed, though personally I think The Art of Navigating by the Stars is a masterpiece.   :D

TAONBTS is a very good album, didn't grab me the same way paramount did for some reason.