Author Topic: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Final Recap  (Read 17647 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v I'm a doorman at my Death Row #23,22
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2013, 11:42:06 PM »
OK.  Time out.

Now, I got nothing wrong with you liking Unia.  I'm not in the "it sucks donkey balls" crowd. BUT...putting it above Haken, Flaming Row, and several other albums you have listed here just seems very wrong.  Like giving Hitler a gold star wrong.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2013, 12:29:17 AM »
Lol, thanks for the feedback.

Hitler did have some good idea's... like the Autobahn, which kicks ass... and that's about it, so Gold Star is earned.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2013, 12:38:43 AM »
2 amazing albums :hefdaddy

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2013, 01:48:36 AM »
UNIA, ONE OF MY FAVORITE ALBUMS EVER I CAN'T TYPE THIS WITHOUT CAPS I WAS FIFTEEN WHEN IT GOT OUT AND IT STEERED MY TASTE FOR WEIRD FOREVER

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
OK.  Time out.

Now, I got nothing wrong with you liking Unia.  I'm not in the "it sucks donkey balls" crowd. BUT...putting it above Haken, Flaming Row, and several other albums you have listed here just seems very wrong.  Like giving Hitler a gold star wrong.

There is a bit of a method to the madness. When I was doing my rankings I figured I would also take into account the age of the albums as well as their content. I was surprised at how many 2011-12 albums made it on the list, so I kind of put a hard cap at 30 for the '12 albums and let the '11 albums slip into the 20's if they warranted it. So I anticipate Haken and Flaming Row to move up considerably over the years. As for other albums, I guess just deal with it, it's my list and Unia deserves its spot  ;D.

Offline Orthogonal

Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Crack the Skull #21,20
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2013, 04:27:15 PM »

21. Sieges Even - Paramount [2007]

Track Picks: When Alpha and Omega Collide, Tidal, Iconic, Duende, Bridge to the Divine

"Paramount" is an underrated and fantastic album from a very underrated band. It would unfortunately be their last before breaking up and moving onto other projects, but they at least gave us this gem before doing so. They are very much a Christian rock group with progressive tendencies, so keep that in mind if that matters to you. Musically, this is top-notch material with lots great hooks and complexity. The first track "When Alpha and Omega Collide" immediately grabs you with impressive drum work under synth and guitars. There is some great snare work the pre-chorus. Things settle in around the fourth track "Iconic" and hit a really emotional high with some gorgeous vocals before taking off in a brilliant and up beat bridge section. "Duende" and "Bridge to the Divine" are other stand out tracks with strong melodies and catchy hooks. There's an interesting track that takes a slow and atmospheric piece played over a Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech in "Mounting Castles in the Blood Red Sky". A similar effect is employed in the title track over a JFK speech in the title track closer.

Why it should be ranked lower: Songs are generally straight forward structurally and not as layered as they could be.

Why it should be ranked higher: It just feels like something special is going on here. Lots of diversity among the tracks and some amazing highs.

20. Mastodon - Crack the Skye [2009]

Track Picks: Divinations, Quintessence, The Czar, The Last Baron

Mastodon can't sit still or stay the course, they always seem to change it up from one album to the next and "Crack the Skye" is no different. In perhaps their boldest album yet, they set out to make their proggiest and most complex work to date. This is not an album that can be soaked up in one listen, but takes repeated sittings to really appreciate. The opening track "Oblivion" is the only song that gained any amount of radio airplay with it being perhaps the closest thing to a standard or commercially acceptable track. "Divinations" changes gears with a mind melting and layered dual guitar opening and features the greatest chorus on the album. "Crack the Skye" never lets up and keep the intensity going throughout and leads to an epic, heavy, layered and proggy closer with "The Last Baron". It's a song that you can just sit back, close your eyes and get caught up in.

Why it should be ranked lower: Could have been a little more balanced, it's relentless.

Why it should be ranked higher: Top 20 is high enough, the competition is way too strong from here on out.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Crack the Skull #21,20
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2013, 01:42:15 PM »
probably only my fourth favorite Mastodon album, yet it contains possibly my favorite song of theirs, TLB.

Offline Orthogonal

Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Top 20 countdown #19,18
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2013, 09:42:34 AM »

19. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia [2002]

Track Picks: Blackest Eyes, Trains, Wedding Nails, Heartattack in a Layby, Strip the Soul, Collapse the Light into Earth

orcupine Tree and Steven Wilson have made a career out of pushing themselves to new heights and shattering expectations. With "In Absentia" they release perhaps Ptheir heaviest work in a long and distinguished career. "Blackest Eyes" is a fantastic opener that will catch you off guard with a heavy opening riff. The lyrics are a little on the creepy side, but you just have to roll with it. The 2nd track transitions into the beautiful and stellar "Trains" which is easily the albums best. "The Sound of Musak" is an interesting piece that is critical of the current state of the Music industry and how no one seems to care about its fall from grace. The back half of the album tones things down considerably with several moody and atmospheric songs like "Heartattack in a Layby" and "Collapse the Light into Earth". Generally, this would seem to be like a bad thing as an album crawls across the finish line, but the brilliant song writing and charm will keep you hooked to the end.

Why it should be ranked lower: It shouldn't, this is Top 20 material

Why it should be ranked higher: Incredible musical diversity among the tracks, it's as if every track re-invents the bands sound.

18. Opeth - Still Life [1999]

Track Picks: The Moor, Godhead's Lament, Face of Melinda, Serenity Painted Death

Opeth is now a household name among the prog community and it was due in large part to the monumental release of "Still Life" in 1999. Not that their previous three releases were bad, since they are actually quite good and underrated, its just that they were a little more standard death metal at the time. It wasn't until the release of "My Arms Your Hears" that we begin to hear exploration and development of the signature Opeth sound. "Still Life" is the realization of that direction and combined with an increase in production value we are treated to this exceptional release. Opeth songs are quite complicated and difficult to digest in one listen, which is now a hallmark of the band. Non-standard structures and changes is tempo, atmosphere and theme rule the day. "The Moor" starts slowly and ominously before changing dramatically into a fury. Things don't let up by the 2nd track which begin's with a heavy and relentless riff under harsh vocals. The song twists and turns before changing into a melodically beautiful and grooving tone. The most accessible track is "Face of Melinda" which features only clean vocals and stays fairly soft through out. "Serenity Painted Death" shows Mikael Akerfeldt's true song writing skills and genius with one crazy track.

Why it should be ranked lower: Harsh vocal's may turn off many, but you should give it a chance.

Why it should be ranked higher: This is the album that ushers in a golden age for Opeth and sets a very high bar for others to meet.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Top 20 countdown #19,18
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2013, 11:01:52 AM »
In Absentia is a really great album, although I don't like it as much as some people seem to.  It doesn't feel particularly coherent to me.  But again, really enjoyable music.  I think it probably has the broadest appeal potential out of PT's post-psych albums so if I were going to introduce PT to a friend I think I'd choose this album.

Opeth is the band that perhaps more than any other I am sad that I don't enjoy because of the harsh vocals.  So much of their music oozes talent, and I like a lot (although far from all) of their instrumental passages.  So yeah, I recognize how great they are if you don't mind the vocals.  I do.

Maybe someone can explain to me what the point of the harsh vocals is.  Then maybe I could appreciate it more.  It just sounds so superfluous to me, in addition to being primarily grating.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Top 20 countdown #19,18
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2013, 02:24:16 PM »
The point of harsh vocals? I think you're looking at it the wrong way. What's the point of clean vocals? Or guitars? Or drums? Or a saxophone? Some people just enjoy it.

Offline Orthogonal

Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Monday Monring Lunatic #17,16
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2013, 09:51:01 AM »
17. Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence [2002]

Track Picks: The Glass Prison, Blind Faith, The Great Debate, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

I don't think I need to do much of a review about this album around here, so it's story time. For years, I've tried to get the Mrs. into Prog music. It's just not happening. She's into country/pop/dance etc. and generally refers to my music as "weird", but that hasn't stopped me from trying. Once when I was watching Score, I had her sit down for 6DOIT to check it out since it is at least stylistically a little easier to take in, and considering she has a degree in Psychology, I figured it would be right up her alley. So, the song is going and it starts well enough, but as soon as the lyrics kick in, she's shaking her head and laughing. Uh oh, now, instead of just being weird, the music is pretentious and stupid. She starts mocking me and walks out of the room  :(. Oh well, at least we got other things in common.

Why it should be ranked lower: I'm looking at you "Misunderstood" outro

Why it should be ranked higher: It's a Tsunami of creativity and a double album going 96:13 minutes. What could be better than that.

16. Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape [2010]

Track Picks: Alley Cat, The Angelmaker, King of Whitewater, Long Way Home, The Great Escape

Do you believe in love at first site? Well, at least love at first listen? I do, and that's exactly what Seventh Wonder was for me. Usually, a band takes time to build to Top Tier status, even if you love what you hear initially, it doesn't happen overnight but there was something special about these guys. The song writing in "The Great Escape" is outstanding. There is not a single weak track or moment anywhere on the disc. I'm most impressed with their ability to write interesting and hooky sections throughout the song, particularly in the verse sections instead of just a big chorus. It's an element that elevates the songs to a new level and becomes even more impressive due to how consistent it is. "Alley Cat" is a big standout with an incredibly fun and tight composition. "The Angelmaker" is a great example of keeping the verse section as interesting or better than the chorus. The album is wrapped up nicely with an outstanding 30 minute epic title track which is a great first attempt at a piece this long.

Why it should be ranked lower: Having a hard time thinking of a reason, this has flown up my list very quickly.

Why it should be ranked higher: Great performances by all members. This is an instant classic and an essential album for all prog fans.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2013, 11:24:30 AM »
4 pickst that would probably all appear in my top 50. Though, I might swap Still Life with Ghost Reveries, and leave Still Life lower in the list.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2013, 01:14:19 PM »
I couldn't be with someone that doesn't essentially love all the same music I do.

I mean, what do people that are into different music listen to during sex?!

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2013, 01:30:14 PM »
Somehow it makes me optimistic that, given your different taste in music from your wife, that you can still manage to be in a (hopefully) happy marriage.
I'm not surprised that your wife likes different music, but that someone who likes prog can love someone who likes country... mind blown.  (I like some country myself, but I see it as sort of asymmetrical, where someone who likes prog primarily can also like country, but someone who likes country primarily wouldn't be likely to appreciate prog.)

well, I'm happy for your marriage.  if it didn't work so well, you might experience... six degrees of marital turbulence.  (sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2013, 02:32:06 PM »
I mean, what do people that are into different music listen to during sex?!
For me, prog is work music. If it was also sex music, I wouldn't get anything done during the rest of the day  :lol

Somehow it makes me optimistic that, given your different taste in music from your wife, that you can still manage to be in a (hopefully) happy marriage.
I'm not surprised that your wife likes different music, but that someone who likes prog can love someone who likes country... mind blown.  (I like some country myself, but I see it as sort of asymmetrical, where someone who likes prog primarily can also like country, but someone who likes country primarily wouldn't be likely to appreciate prog.)

well, I'm happy for your marriage.  if it didn't work so well, you might experience... six degrees of marital turbulence.  (sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Music wasn't exactly a big part of the courtship and I can tolerate other genres well enough so it doesn't really matter. I do give her a hard time about Country though. I've heard enough of it to know there are only like 3 songs that are just re-written ad nauseum.

1. Feel good family song. i.e. Loving your kids or spouse etc, living the good life.
2. Patriotic USA!!! with cornbread and fried chicken.
3. Honky Tonk.  Get drunk, be silly, have fun

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Monday Morning Lunatic #17,16
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2013, 02:38:14 PM »
Do Mercy Falls next :D
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Orthogonal

Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v The Thunder of a Thousand Mighty Horses #15-13
« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2013, 10:52:03 PM »
14,15. Shadow Gallery - Tyranny [1998],                             Shadow Gallery - Room V [2005]

Track Picks Tyranny: War for Sale, Out of Nowhere, I Believe, New World Order, Ghost of a Chance, Christmas Day
Track Picks Room V: The Andromeda Strain, Vow, The Archer of Ben Salem, Room V, Rain

So they were released 7 years apart and they are even separated by another LP (Legacy), so why do I attach them at the hip? Because I don't think there is any way to listen to them other than back-to-back. It's like a double album across time since "Room V" is a sequel to the story begun in "Tyranny". It's a progressive rock/metal masterpiece. Technical virtuosity, blistering solos, towering melodies and top-notch chorus after chorus. The first album "Tyranny" has numerous moods and themes broken across 2 Acts. "War For Sale" is an exciting instrumental to set the tone for the first Act. Emotions build and questions are asked in "Hope For Us?". It builds into the emotional and compelling "I Believe" to kick off Act 2 with James Labrie providing backing vocals. DC Cooper makes an appearance in the dark and looming "New World Order". The final track "Christmas Day" ends things on a beautiful note and leaves you wanting more. "Room V" shares a lot of similarities with "Tyranny", but changes the tone and feels more serious. It's also filled with a lot more shorter segue tracks to push things along. "The Andromeda Strain" is one of the few that is accessible enough to be a commercial track. The title track "Room V" is epic and touches all the right notes. "Rain" is a beautiful and emotional closer which takes on a more serious tone when realizing that this would be Michael Baker's swan song before tragically passing RIP.

Why it should be ranked lower: Feels a bit "samey" throughout.

Why it should be ranked higher: The concept and story is brilliantly told. The next Mindcrime.

13. Symphony X - V: The New Mythology [2000]

Track Picks Evolution (The Grand Design), Fallen, Communion and the Oracle, Egypt, Rediscovery Part 1 & 2

This is the album where Symphony X peaks in creativity. The album flows from one song to the next with each track featuring segues to tie them all together. It adds a thread that ties the album together and keeps it tight and compelling. The arrangements are big with choirs, classical influences and doses of thrash. "Evolution" is a dark power-metal masterpiece, the track that jumps out and grabs your attention. "Communion and the Oracle" is mellower and has the trademark Symphony X melody driven effect. There is an interesting eastern flair to the heavy and mid-tempo rocker "Egypt". The closing track "Rediscovery" may not reach the heights of "The Odyssey" or "The Divine Wings of Tragedy", but it holds its own as a solid addition to the pantheon of epic tracks.

Why it should be ranked lower: It's a fanciful concept album that doesn't always make sense

Why it should be ranked higher: Album of 2000 and a preamble to prog-metal for the Millenium.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 09:51:21 AM by Orthogonal »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v The Thunder of a Thousand Mighty Horses #15-13
« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2013, 12:43:32 AM »
James Labrie makes an appearance in the dark and looming "New World Order".

No, he doesn't. That's DC Cooper on New World Order. James LaBrie is on I Believe though.
Fantastic picks, though I prefer Legacy over any other Shadow Gallery album. Can't wait to see them live again in just a week's time :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2013, 12:46:44 AM »
Great pick from Symphony X

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2013, 09:15:22 AM »
James Labrie makes an appearance in the dark and looming "New World Order".

No, he doesn't. That's DC Cooper on New World Order. James LaBrie is on I Believe though.
Fantastic picks, though I prefer Legacy over any other Shadow Gallery album. Can't wait to see them live again in just a week's time :)

Good catch, I don't know why I thought that since I knew DC Cooper was vocals on there. For some reason I thought both were. Must be a brain fart.

Offline jsem

« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2013, 09:40:12 AM »
SX best release, no doubt.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2013, 09:53:30 AM »
Two great entries.  I don't go to Shadow Gallery enough.  Fantastic discography overall.  I wasn't aware of the connection between the two albums.  Like I said, I don't go to them enough.... love all their work, but never really taken the time to 'know' the ins and outs of their albums.

Rich.... super envious!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2013, 09:56:02 AM »
Two great entries.  I don't go to Shadow Gallery enough.  Fantastic discography overall.

Yes, yes you should. You have some homework to complete. :police:

I also understand where you're coming from. When you come across a band with a lengthy catalog, it's difficult to digest it all at once and get the same impact as a fan who has been following them for years. You also don't pick up on the nuances and evolution of their career as much. I was fortunate enough to find SG in the late 90's shortly after the release of Tyranny and follow them through their amazing career.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2013, 02:39:33 PM »
also been listening since Tyranny; probably still regard it as my favorite. was never quite a keen on Room V; would likely rank it as their 4th best.

and I cant argue with The New Mythology Suite as Symphony X's magnum opus.

and excellent choices for DT, PT, and Opeth as well. haven't heard Sieges Even or Seventh Wonder. will have to check em out.

Offline Orthogonal

Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v I Remember Now #12,11
« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2013, 10:23:44 PM »
12. Ayreon - The Human Equation [2004]

Track Picks: Day Three: Pain, Day Six: Childhood, Day Eight: School, Day Ten: Memories, Day Twelve: Trauma, Day Sixteen: Loser, Day Twenty: Confrontation

What do you get when you combine the musical genius of Arjen Lucassen and combine it with an all-star cast of vocalists, premiere musicians and top notch production? A Fucking Masterpiece is what. "The Human Equation" is a concept album from the mastermind Arjen Lucassen himself as he collaborates with a revolving door of guest musicians to create an incredible story and musical experience. James Labrie takes the lead role as a man who finds himself in a coma and must deal with his past and inner thoughts as well as solve the mystery surrounding his circumstance and confront it to break out. Arjen and Marcela Bovio play "Friend" and "Wife" as the only other real characters in the story who are at "Me"'s (James Labrie) side at the hospital and are themselves trying to piece the events together and make sense of the situation. The rest of the cast play the emotions of "Me" with Mikael Akerfeldt as "Fear" and Devon Graves as "Agony" among many others. The music is spacy and fanciful with everything from slow jams to all out hard rock and everything in between. The performances of all vocalists are top notch and really help sell and elevate the story to a new level. The performance of Devin Townsend as "Rage" is notable and adds an new dimension to the sound by imparting his trademark wall-of-sound and unique arrangements to the few songs he's involved in. Michael Baker has a brief cameo as "Father" in a memorable and pivotal point in the story, the only complaint is that his role wasn't larger. The story plays out well enough before coming to an exciting, plot twisting conclusion which is sure to please. A MUST LISTEN!

Why it should be ranked lower: This album isn't going lower, the only reason it's this low is because of its relative newness to me.

Why it should be ranked higher:  This is a legitimate Top 10 pick, I seem to have more Top 10 Album's than slots available.

11. Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls [2008]

Track Picks: Welcome to Mercy Falls, Tears for a Father, Fall in Line, Break the Silence, Hide and Seek, Destiny Calls

I love Seventh Wonder. Did I mention that I really love Seventh Wonder?! This album was picked up more or less on a whimsy and I don't remember how it got on my radar, but when I first heard it, it kicked me in the face and it took me days to recover. Not since I first heard Dream Theater did I hear a band that connected with me so quickly. Musically this is an amazing experience. The mix is outstanding, there is so much space and room to breath and every instrument can be heard clearly with a signature bass rhythm style that permeates their sound. "Mercy Falls" was released on the backs of their breakout sophomore album "Waiting in the Wings". Everyone sounds good, but vocalist Tommy Karevik steals the show. The album is a concept album (of course it is) dealing with the story of a man in a coma after getting into an accident (where have I heard that before) except this plays out considerably different. There are a handful of spoken dialogue portions in the album that are important pieces of the story, but are unfortunately performed quite badly, but this is a flaw that can be overlooked since who cares about people talking, this is about the music dammit. After a brief setup with the plot, there is an Overture of sorts with "There and Back" which transitions through all the major musical themes visited in later songs before hitting the main act "Welcome to Mercy Falls". Karevik shines in the vocally driven and melodically interesting "Tears for a Father". The prog-metal run from "Fall in Line", "Break the Silence","Hide and Seek" and "Destiny Calls" are four perfect tracks that encapsulate everything that is right with Seventh Wonder. If there is one criticism I would level at the bands performance is that the lyrics can be very literal, perhaps overly literal which can take some getting used to.

Why it should be ranked lower: The spoken dialogue portions are, lets just say it, cringe-inducingly bad.

Why it should be ranked higher:  Who cares about that, this is pure musical bliss. I could listen to this album on repeat all day long.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 09:34:34 AM by Orthogonal »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v I Remember Now #12,11
« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2013, 10:34:44 PM »
Two more excellent choices.  THE is #2 for me all time.  Mercy Falls made my 2nd list, and is one of the great finds I have to thank DTF for.  You're right, the spoken parts are cringe-worthy, and nearly unbearable.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2013, 03:47:38 AM »
Wooo, two of my favourites right there!!
Squ

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2013, 07:35:51 AM »
I don't think I commented on Sieges Even - they are indeed fantastic, but I don't see much Christian content in their lyrics on their last two albums. Some very limited use of religious imagery on some songs (besides Iconic and Duende), but their stuff (and Markus Steffen's lyrics in Subsignal later on) is about humanity more than anything, although of course they could be interpreted in any other way. :)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2013, 08:21:41 AM »
Two top quality albums.  You have good taste :)

I have to say though, I was expecting to see Mindcrime based on the subject line.  I mean, really.  Are you deliberately trying to mislead us?  ;D

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2013, 09:18:24 AM »
Two top quality albums.  You have good taste :)

I have to say though, I was expecting to see Mindcrime based on the subject line.  I mean, really.  Are you deliberately trying to mislead us?  ;D

Close, there is a very similar line or easter egg said at the end of T.H.E.: emotions, I remember..., from the Dream Sequencer which ties it in with the rest of the Ayreon universe to that point.

I don't think I commented on Sieges Even - they are indeed fantastic, but I don't see much Christian content in their lyrics on their last two albums. Some very limited use of religious imagery on some songs (besides Iconic and Duende), but their stuff (and Markus Steffen's lyrics in Subsignal later on) is about humanity more than anything, although of course they could be interpreted in any other way. :)

I guess I just picked out more religious imagery than you I suppose. Songs like Bridge to the Divine, Eyes Wide Open  and Stigmata evoke lots of religious imagery. Nothing wrong with any of this, just thought it was noteworthy to point out. I still need to check out Subsignal, they are on my radar, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Offline Orthogonal

Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v My Hero #42,41
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2013, 09:24:31 AM »
We're down to the Top 10. Summary so far:

50. Live - Throwing Copper
49. Kamelot - The Black Halo
48. Queensryche - Promised Land
47. Cloudscape - Global Drama
46. Our Lady Peace - Clumsy
45. Rush - Moving Pictures
44. U2 - Joshua Tree
43. Savatage - Poets & Madmen
42. Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
41. Serenity - Fallen Sanctuary
40. Angra - Rebirth
39. Beyond the Bridge - The Old Man and the Spirit
38. Between the Buried and Me - Colors
37. Mastodon - Blood Mountain
36. Pathosray - Pathosray
35. Redemption - Snowfall on Judgement Day
34. Circus Maximus - Nine
33. Big Big Train - English Electric Part 2
32. Big Big Train - English Electric Part 1
31. Symphony X - The Odyssey
30. Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I
29. Queensryche - Empire
28. Circus Maximus - The 1st Chapter
27. Nightwish - Oceanborn
26. Royal Hunt - Paradox
25. Flaming Row - Ellinoire
24. Haken - Visions
23. Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
22. Sonata Arctica - Unia
21. Sieges Even - Paramount
20. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
19. Porcupine Tree- In Absentia
18. Opeth - Still Life
17. Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
16. Seventh Wonder- The Great Escape
15. Shadow Gallery - Room V
14. Shadow Gallery - Tyranny
13. Symphony X - V: The New Mythology
12. Ayreon - The Human Equation
11. Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls

It's been a lot of fun so far and I'm excited for the final leg. Thanks for all the feedback and comments, it's made it worth it.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2013, 10:10:32 AM »
Great picks with these last two. Though I rank The Great Escape higher than Mercy Falls.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2013, 02:13:42 PM »
Yeah, I get that. I talked about it in another thread around here. If I were to do a song by song comparison I would probably give the edge to songs from The Great Escape in most cases, but there's something about Mercy Falls as an album that gels together to make it better than the sum of its parts.

Offline Orthogonal

Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v It's the Final Countdown #10,9
« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2013, 03:06:48 PM »
10. Savatage - Dead Winter Dead [1995]

Track Picks: This is the Time (1990), I Am, Starlight, Mozart and Madness, Dead Winter Dead, One Child, Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24), Not What You See

Here it is, the Top 10 and what better way to kick it off than with the Quintessential Savatage album "Dead Winter Dead" (Many will disagree with that). This was also my first taste of their wonderful and diverse catalog. I was introduced to them by a friend in High School who carried all their CD's around with him in his backpack. We became acquainted in the same class that the teacher played Queensryche incessantly (reference from the OP). Considering most of their album's were relatively cheap and available at my local Circuit City, I took the plunge and grabbed this "Dead Winter Dead" as my first taste of the 'Tage. I wasn't ready for it and was completely blown away by the song writing, creative melodies and arrangements. It took many listens to digest it, but in time I quickly learned to love it. It is a concept album about a Serbian boy and a Muslim girl that fall in love during the Bosnian war and the struggles they face. After a brief intro and overture, we get into the meat of it and hear the heavy mid-tempo rocker "This is the Time" complete with the rich vocals of Zak Stevens. Things change up in "I Am" which is a dark and heavy track now sung by the legendary Jon Oliva. Then, after thinking you have this band figured out, they jump in with a re-imagining of some Mozart in "Mozart and Madness" and continue to plant the seeds of the future Trans Siberian Orchestra project with another re-imagining of "Carol of the Bells" in "Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24)" which would eventually become their greatest commercially successful song that still gets regular radio play every Christmas but is ironically not associated with Savatage. As great as those tracks are, it was the cool arrangements in "One Child" and "Not What You See" where they have multiple vocal tracks playing over one another in an alternating cadence that eventually merge back together that really elevate this into something special.

Why it should be ranked lower: Some may say it is all over the place and lacks focus

Why it should be ranked higher:  I say it is executed to perfection and will expand your mind with possibilities

9. Angra - Temple of Shadows [2005]

Track Picks: Spread Your Fire, Wishing Well, The Shadow Hunter, Winds of Destination, Sprouts of Time, Morning Star

If you haven't caught on by now, I'm a sucker for concept albums, and Angra's "Temple of Shadows" is no different. It follows the life and journey of a Crusader in the 11th century who becomes disillusioned by the Catholic Church and the atrocities commited during that time. Some may feel this is an anti-christrian message, but I think it's more of a condemnation of the Crusade and the motives behind it but I digress. This album demonstrates Angra's most mature writing to date and not just because of the subject matter, but the song compositions are by far the best in their careers. "Spread Your Fire" is the standard up-tempo track to get the listener in the mood for the rest of the album. In the "Wishing Well" we get Angra's best ballad they've ever written. The real standout and highlight comes in the middle with "The Shadow Hunter" which has epic written all over it despite its 8 minute track length. There are some very cool and memorable melodies in "Sprouts of Time" with a bit of a Brazilian flair. "Morning Star" works as a closer even though there is one more instrumental track to end things, but it is another epic style track in a 7 minute timespan. It may not be an album that blows you away on first listen, but it's a grower that will keep you coming back and slowly reveal itself to you over repeat listens.

Why it should be ranked lower: The subject matter can be weighty.

Why it should be ranked higher:  I think this is a good spot, there's just too much competition to get any higher.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:17:14 PM by Orthogonal »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v It's the Final Countdown #10,9
« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2013, 03:10:44 PM »
Two more excellent albums.  I too love me my concept albums.  I discovered Angra with Fireworks and this one a few years ago.  Liked them ok, but they didn't stick with me... until just about a year ago and it was like ... BAM!  This is another album I didn't know all the details of - again, another band that I love, I just don't "know" (btw... listened to Tyranny and Room V on my flight home yesterday).  Just made the leap a few months ago with the rest of their discog.