Author Topic: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Final Recap  (Read 17342 times)

Offline Orthogonal

Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Final Recap
« on: September 04, 2013, 11:19:50 PM »
Howdy folks. I don't know how many people will follow or care about this list, but it will be fun to lay it all out so here goes. A quick bio for anyone that cares. I grew up in a family that didn't care much for music so it was a pretty musically sheltered upbringing. My parent's really only listened to adult contemporary. If it wasn't something like Neil Diamond, Amy Grant or Michael Bolton, I probably wasn't aware of its existence. You could probably count on one hand the number of album's my dad has ever purchased and my mom has done little better. It wasn't until middle school that I really discovered there was more music out there, although even when I did hear it, I wasn't particularly interested so I figured music wasn't my thing.

I distinctly remember in 7th grade going to a school "dance" where they corral the whole student body into a gymnasium and blast the latest pop tunes with a DJ-for-hire for a few hours. That was also my first exposure to Metal, specifically Metallica. I couldn't tell you what song was played since I don't remember, but I do remember my impression of it. Loud, intense and barely listenable. I didn't think much of it at the time and I slowly picked up on the pop and grunge scene over the next few years, but it was a teacher in High School that really turned me on to music. Wish I could remember his name, but it was class in a very large classroom with desks on one side and lab equipment on the other. He had a large speaker system wired throughout the room and on Lab days we would rock out to Mindcrime or Empire (only those two albums for a whole semester). It clicked, and I loved it. I gained a big appreciation for Queensryche and ended up picking up all their albums. It was shortly there after that I discovered the likes of DT, Fates Warning, Savatage and even Metallica. That was about 16 years ago and I've managed to continue expanding in primarily a prog metal direction since.

Even though Prog Metal is my bread-and-butter, I have recently managed to start expanding in two musically divergent area's in the last few years. Specifically, I've gained a tolerance and appreciation for harsh/growling vocals and secondly, I started to enjoy non-metal prog rock. Both tendencies have opened me up to huge new vista's of music experiences. I know I have far to go, but it has been a great ride so far.

I've decided to limit myself 3 album's per artist to keep things interesting. My current catalog is roughly 350 albums and growing rapidly with about 150 of those purchases occurring in the last 18 months thanks to this forum (several even make this list.). The list may be a bit 1 dimensional, but there should be some surprises.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:09:32 PM by Orthogonal »

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Type 0
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 11:43:47 PM »
weird your teacher played only them two albums. not sure how many labs a kid has to do in a semester; i wonder how many kids he drove nuts playin that stuff.

Offline jsem

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 11:50:06 PM »
Following.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 12:28:29 AM »
Before I start with the list proper, need to start with some honorable mentions that just missed the cut.

60. Devin Townsend - Deconstruction
Track Picks: Juular, The Mighty Masturbator, Deconstruction

59. Avantasia - The Mystery of Time
Track Picks: Spectres, Savior in the Clockwork, The Great Mystery

58. Spock's Beard - Snow
Track Picks: Made Alive/Overture, Open Wide the Flood Gates, Wind at My Back, 4th of July

57. Fates Warning - Parallels
Track Picks: Eye to Eye, Point of View, We Only Say Goodbye

56. Threshold - March of Progress
Track Picks: Ashes, Staring at the Sun, The Rubicon

55. Ayreon - 01011001
Track Picks: Age of Shadows, Liquid Eternity, Newborn Race, Unnatural Selection, The Sixth Extinction

54. Anathema - Weather Systems
Track Picks: Untouchable Part 1, Untouchable Part 2, Lightning Song, The Storm Before the Calm

53. Savatage - Edge of Thorns
Track Picks: Edge of Thorns, He Carves His Stone, All That I Bleed

52. Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night
Track Picks: Don't Say A Word, Wildfire, White Pearl Black Oceans, Shamandalie

51. Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
Track Picks: Starlight, Map of the Problematique, Assassin, City of Delusion, Knights of Cydonia
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 01:51:01 AM by Orthogonal »

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 12:37:10 AM »
Will be following. Some nice honorable mentions you put there so this list better be good.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 08:44:27 AM »
yay, can't wait for this list.

I have 6 of your HM's (#'s 58 - 53) and they are all awesome.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 11:42:06 AM »
I have all ten of those.  Of course we won't agree on order and all that, but those are all solid or better albums.  Parallels is a top 10 album for me, it never gets old.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 01:30:10 PM »
Cool, look forward to following. Too bad Weather Systems didn't make the top 50!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 02:12:27 PM »
Following.  :tup

Offline Orthogonal

Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Let's get it on! #50
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 04:54:40 PM »
Let's get it on

50. Live - Throwing Copper [1994]

Track Picks: Selling the Drama, I Alone, Iris, Lightning Crashes, All Over You

This album has the distinction of being the first CD I ever bought. Picked it up off a friend for $5 in middle school. When I brought it home I hid it in my room because I wasn't sure what my parents would think of it (both the music and the cover art). I didn't even own a CD player at the time. I already heard several of the songs on the radio, but I eventually got around to listening to it on my parents stereo system. It was the only CD I had for many months, but I listened to it a lot. Had I discovered it now, I probably wouldn't appreciate it as much, but it holds a special place in my heart. It's a solid Alternative Rock album with several hit singles. I still remember being taken aback by the heaviness of the lyrics and emotion in the beautiful Lightning Crashes. It was a great new experience to have. The album has a lot of great tracks that still hold up well today.

Why it should be ranked lower: This album is riding on a lot of nostalgia.

Why it should be ranked higher: It shouldn't. This is a good place to start things off.

49. Kamelot - The Black Halo [2005]

Track Picks: March of Mephisto, When the Lights Are Down, Moonlight, Momento Mori,  Serenade

A great album that was a natural progression and story continuation over the previous couple of efforts. Opening with a slow building and powerful rocker March of Mephisto, it is off to a great start. Featured guest Shagrath adds an extra vocal dimension (harsh) with his portrayal of Mephisto. The album weaves through the soft and melodious to all out metal treating the listener to a sonic treat. It all builds to the centerpiece track Momento Mori which is both the story and musical climax. A great track that starts with Roy Khan singing over a classical piano, then the full band comes in with a thematic instrumental section before turning into a prog rocker. There's even some great vocal interplays between the harsh vocals of Shagrath and Mari Younglblood. Overall, I was really impressed with Roy Khan. This is arguably his best work behind the mic.

Why it should be ranked lower: The story/concept could have been stronger with more interaction between characters and guest vocalists.

Why it should be ranked higher: It's a solid album all the way through, there are no weak tracks

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
Re: Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Let's get it on! #50,49
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 09:38:42 PM »
WOAH DUDE WEATHER SYSTEMS IS LIKE THE BEST THING WHY SO LOW

no but seriously good start thus far, I've always enjoyed Live.

Offline Orthogonal

Re: Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Let's get it on! #50,49
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 09:46:23 PM »
WOAH DUDE WEATHER SYSTEMS IS LIKE THE BEST THING WHY SO LOW

no but seriously good start thus far, I've always enjoyed Live.

I think if I did this list in another year or two it could rank much higher. Anathema is a fairly recent discovery of mine. I really enjoy about 2/3's of Weather Systems and think the rest is just ok so it wasn't quite enough to make the cut.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Let's get it on! #50,49
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 05:50:48 AM »
Following. Funny, for some reason I thought you were a teenager???  This is gonna be my kinda list. Live wasn't quite my thing in the 90s.  I'm 6/12 so far.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 05:55:54 AM »
Throwing Copper is one of the greatest albums ever, it's incredible.  Your honorable mentions are amazing too.  I'm 10/12.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 06:17:41 AM »
Following. Funny, for some reason I thought you were a teenager??? 

Some good albums listed already. Like these:

59. Avantasia - The Mystery of Time
Track Picks: Spectres, Savior in the Clockwork, The Great Mystery

57. Fates Warning - Parallels
Track Picks: Eye to Eye, Point of View, We Only Say Goodbye
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 08:15:07 AM »
Throwing Copper is an intense album.  It is on my list if I ever get to do it.  It might get some flack for being so mainstream popular, but there's a reason it's so popular. 

Stage has one of the all-time mindblowingly-cathartic moments going from the bridge into the solo.  But the average level of the songs is so high and it's such a consistent album.  Nothing to be ashamed of at all.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 10:56:17 AM »
48. Queensryche - Promised Land [1994]

Track Picks: I Am I, Bridge, Promised Land, One More Time

A great album by the boys of the 'Ryche. It was the most dramatic departure in terms of style and song-writing to date. Being much darker and less overtly commercial than previous outings it was fairly polarizing among fans upon release. It was a criminally underrated album for a long time, but in hindsight with respect to their output over the next going-on 20 years, it has, for the most part, received its just due recognition from the fanbase. The whole album has an air of "experimental" flowing through it, but is focused enough to not feel like a disjointed conglomeration of disparate songs. "I Am I" is the first real song and stands out as a very heavy and unique track that really sets the tone for the rest of the album. The title track is an epic (in QR terms) that is a must listen for anyone. "Someone Else?" and "Out of Mind" are great ballads and softer tracks to balance out the rest of the album.

Why it should be ranked lower: The album is consistently good, but seems to be missing a stand out track that the band is "known for"...

Why it should be ranked higher: but that doesn't matter, this is a gem that is worth more than the sum of its parts.

47. Cloudscape - Global Drama [2008]

Track Picks: Mind Diary, Darkest Legacy, Alogoas, Static

Here is a solid Prog Metal band in top form as they released their 3rd LP "Global Drama". This is a band that is underrated in most circles and should receive a serious look from all prog metal fans. Musically they share a lot of similarities with band's like Pagan's Mind and Suspyre, but manage to forge their own sonic signature. The most identifiable and enjoyable aspect of their songs is lies on the strength of vocalist Micael Andersson. His rich and almost raspy style is an identifiable and critical component of their sound. The songs are generally more straightforward in their structure and presentation, but the whole band has plenty of chops to keep things interesting. Having said that, it is the brooding and more serious track Alogoas that steals the show. A song about a woman from Africa who is enslaved and has to deal with the physical and psychological ramifications of being in bondage and dreaming of the day, if and when, her children will be freed. Very emotional and a real treat.

Why it should be ranked lower: Doesn't break a lot of new ground

Why it should be ranked higher: Will keep you interested from beginning to end and deserves more praise than its received.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 01:49:34 PM by Orthogonal »

Offline Ruba

Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Moving on #48,47
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 11:13:45 AM »
Promised Land!  :hefdaddy

No way it's missing "standout track", I mean, the title track might be their best song, to my mind.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 11:46:42 AM »
Promised Land is outstanding!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 11:50:17 AM »
What they said ^^

Haven't heard any Cloudscape yet, but they're on the radar.  Someday I'm sure I will.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 11:52:42 AM »
Solid start, if I ever did a top songs list, Lightning Crashes would rank very, very high.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 12:05:53 PM »
You forgot to number 48 & 47.

I Am I is a great song.  that moment when the panes of glass circle is unequaled anywhere.  I find the album a little too inconsistent, but there is lots of great stuff including Damaged, which you didn't mention, and One More Time is one of the most effective heavy emotional songs I've ever heard.  That solo is an object lesson on how to get emotion out of music.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 12:12:38 PM »
Good start. I'm 10/14

Interesting thing with the 'why it should be ranked higher/lower' thing
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 01:54:04 PM »
You forgot to number 48 & 47.

Good catch, fixed.

I thought it would be a fun exercise, and it also shows how there's always a bit of a blurry line when comparing favorites.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 01:55:54 PM »
Interesting to see Global Drama here. I have it, but I always found it to be a bit boring.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 03:52:33 PM »
Another 2 classics here.  I think the debut is my fav Cloudscape album, but Global Drama is pretty close behind.  Solid metal.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 03:59:59 PM »
Another 2 classics here.  I think the debut is my fav Cloudscape album, but Global Drama is pretty close behind.  Solid metal.

I like the Cloudscape s/t too, but I only picked it up a couple of weeks ago so it is still too fresh in my mind for a top 50, but it could end up there eventually.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 05:31:02 PM »

I thought it would be a fun exercise, and it also shows how there's always a bit of a blurry line when comparing favorites.

That's indeed the problem with these types of lists. You can't really say which album you like more, especially in the low end of the list. The top 10, for me at least, was pretty easy to establish, but everything apart from that is a bit semi-random.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 10:36:11 PM »
46. Our Lady Peace - Clumsy [1997]

Track Picks: Superman's Dead, Carnival, Big Dumb Rocket, Shaking, Clumsy, The Story of 100 Aisles

This album is just a lot of fun. I had the fortune of seeing them play live once when they opened for Creed (yeah, I know) and they killed it. It was a lot of fun. For the most part the lyrical content is serious but is generally presented in silly way and not to be taken too seriously. The song-writing is more mature than previous album's and manages to carve out a unique signature style for the band. The first track is the single Superman's Dead which is one of the few serious topics which deals with kids and bullying or standing out among your peers. It gets the album off to a good start. The title track Clumsy lives up to its billing and shows real maturity in a "I'm here for you" kind of way. 4 AM is the only ballad on the album and sticks out as a great emotional piece. Carnival is a cool and quirky song with very contrasting verse/chorus changes that keeps you on your toes. Overall, an album everyone owes themselves to check out.

Why it should be ranked lower: In many ways it could be described as a typical 90's alternative rock album.

Why it should be ranked higher: It's just a pleasure to listen too with catchy hook after catchy hook.

45. Rush - Moving Pictures [1981]

Track Picks: Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Limelight, Vital Signs

Don't really need to say much about this album that isn't already said much better elsewhere. This is a classic album by one of the great prog rock band's of all time. Stand out tracks like Tom Sawyer and Limelight still enjoy regular radio play today. In many ways this is arguably the quintessential Rush album showing a maturity and progression over the course of their careers and peaking to lay this masterpiece on us.

Why it should be ranked lower: For whatever reason, Rush is a band that took me much longer to get into than you'd expect, I feel like I may have shoe-horned it in here a bit.

Why it should be ranked higher: Then again, its sustained critical and commercial success over the last 30+ years probably warrants more. It's not like I don't love the songs here.

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Orthogonal's Top 50 Albums v Superman's Dead #46,45
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 10:56:45 PM »
It's a great album. Really hard for me to decide on my favorite Rush album, but Moving Pictures always comes in near the top.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2013, 11:04:42 PM »
Being from Canada, I've heard an astronomical amount of both Our Lady Peace and Rush on the radio.  I thought OLP had a pretty solid release with their first album, Starseed.  IMO, Our Lady Peace and fellow alt rockers Moist, I Mother Earth and Tea Party all released a solid first album.  But I think all of those bands seemed to lose abit of their hard rock edge with their subsequent release/s.  Clumsy was very much overplayed especially Supermans Dead; which is still to this day shoved down our throats on the radio. 

Rush on the other hand rules the world and Moving Pictures is one of the greatest albums of all time.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2013, 01:03:51 AM »
i was thinking about Queensryche's Promised Land just this morning, and more specifically, about how its the only queensryche album i know, pretty much at all. considering how much i liked it, i really should have given their other material more of a chance.

Being from Canada, I've heard an astronomical amount of both Our Lady Peace and Rush on the radio.  I thought OLP had a pretty solid release with their first album, StarseedNaveed...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2013, 04:38:40 AM »
JJ nailed it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2013, 04:44:08 AM »
I wore the crap out of Throwing Copper and Clumsy.  Both great albums and they both kicked ass live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2013, 08:20:59 AM »
I was actually really disappointed by Clumsy after their first album. I think Hello Oskar (iirc) is the only track I thoroughly enjoy on that cd.  Several others are ok, but not like the debut where I loved every song.  One Man Army is an awesome song off their follow-up to this, but I stopped following them after that.

What can you say about Moving Pictures that hasn't been said?  Well, I don't like Vital Signs (or any of their other reggae-beat songs).  There, I said it.  And the live version of Witch Hunt makes the studio version seem lame.  Other than that it's awesome.