Author Topic: Guitarists: Most Difficult Petrucci Solo You've Ever Attempted?(Other Than UAGM)  (Read 10971 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
My favorite to play would have to be Scarred. It's so much fun and isn't very difficult either.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Outcrier

I used to like playing the solos in Another World and Inevitable Summer, but i think i pretty much forgot how to play them now  :facepalm:
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline adastra

I suck so much at playing guitar that only DT solos I can play are the ones on Learning To Live, Goodnight Kiss and About To Crash :E
I am left-handed but I decided to start play guitar from the right side.  So, my left hand is "fast as shit" but my right hand sucks with the pick.
I suck and I hate myself for that.  :'(

But yeah,  I forgot to answer to the actual topic question,  Hardest solo I've ever tried is the final unison solo on Take The Time.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:55:43 AM by adastra »
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Aquila Chrysaetos

To be honest I find almost everything JP does difficult.
At least to get it down as clean as him.
I tried the UAGM solo but I never managed to get these fast runs out of mij fingers.
I got Overture 1928 pretty right though :)

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
I've always found that the JP solos I find easiest are the one that make sense to me. As in I can see where he's coming from.

Everything in the UAGM solo blends nicely, flows and the licks are definable. It makes sense. It's not an easy solo is relative terms but I can digest it and it makes sense.

A solo like the one in The Great Debate just doesn't make sense to me somehow. To listen to it sounds ace! But analysing it I'm thinking "why the fudge did he do that? Where did he get that pattern from?"

That's how I remember his solos. I remember the scale patterns, arpeggios, tonality etc. When it's something out of left field I find I have trouble playing it if I don't understand it.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I wonder if there is any correlation with that and which solo jp writes versus solos that jr writes. I remember hear blind faiths solo and thinking "wtf?"

Offline Mosh

I suck so much at playing guitar that only DT solos I can play are the ones on Learning To Live, Goodnight Kiss and About To Crash :E
I am left-handed but I decided to start play guitar from the right side.  So, my left hand is "fast as shit" but my right hand sucks with the pick.
I suck and I hate myself for that.  :'(
I'm a lefty who plays right too so it also took me awhile to get good with a pick. Just practice a ton, try exercises that work on specific hands and eventually both of your arms will have equal strength.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
I'm fairly certain that I read somewhere that Steve Morse is a lefty who plays righty; and we all know how amazing his picking is.

As an aside, I'm also fairly sure that I read somewhere that Hendrix was actually right handed but played lefty. Not relevant I guess but a nice nugget of trivia.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Mosh

Don't know about Morse but that is certainly true for Hendrix.

Also worth noting that Morse has a bit of an oddball picking style too.