Poll

Which vocalist do you prefer?

Joey Belladonna
6 (50%)
Blackie Lawless
6 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: 80s Glam/Metal Vocal Showdown #14: Belladonna vs Lawless  (Read 813 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
80s Glam/Metal Vocal Showdown #14: Belladonna vs Lawless
« on: August 31, 2013, 05:24:00 AM »
Another one I'm gonna have to sit out, as neither Anthrax or WASP were in my listening portfolio, and I have no desire to rectify that.

What say you, DTF?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 80s Glam/Metal Vocal Showdown #14: Belladonna vs Lawless
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 05:46:47 AM »
Blackie Lawless by a million miles.  One of my all time fav artists.  Check out The Crimson Idol if you haven't already, it's perfection.  Everything else WASP have done is quality too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 05:50:48 AM »
This is a tough one.
I love WASP but wouldn't call Blackie a great singer. He's just perfect for WASP though.
Belladonna is a great singer but most of his Anthrax stuff isn't suited to his voice and really the only album of theirs I like is Spreading The Disease where Joey's voice is fine. Just listen to him singing Journey songs live on Youtube- he's got a great melodic rock voice, just no-one's heard it.

Going to choose Blackie as he suits the material he sings. If I was putting a band together I'd choose Joey though.

And I agree with Wolfie, TCI is a great album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 05:53:45 AM »
Another one I'm gonna have to sit out, as neither Anthrax or WASP were in my listening portfolio, and I have no desire to rectify that.

What say you, DTF?

I say you are missing out on a lot of amazing music.  What have you heard from WASP?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 06:06:20 AM »
I say you are missing out on a lot of amazing music.  What have you heard from WASP?

I honestly couldn't tell you what - if anything.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 06:11:32 AM »
Blackie Lawless.  A more diverse voice.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 09:19:59 AM »
Very close for me. I'll give Blackie a slight edge. The debut from WASP is one of the best heavy metal albums of all time IMO. Joeys performance on spreading the disease  is amazing too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 09:40:43 AM »
This is a tough one.
I love WASP but wouldn't call Blackie a great singer. He's just perfect for WASP though.
Belladonna is a great singer but most of his Anthrax stuff isn't suited to his voice and really the only album of theirs I like is Spreading The Disease where Joey's voice is fine. Just listen to him singing Journey songs live on Youtube- he's got a great melodic rock voice, just no-one's heard it.

Going to choose Blackie as he suits the material he sings. If I was putting a band together I'd choose Joey though.

And I agree with Wolfie, TCI is a great album.
I always thought Blackie was underrated. I loved his voice. I haven't followed them since TCI.

I just ran through most of the Anthrax discog on my trip home, and Joey really seemed out of place with them, except as you say, STD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol