Poll

If money were no object, how many inches would be necessary to satisfy you?

<20
0 (0%)
20-29
0 (0%)
30-39
1 (20%)
40-49
0 (0%)
50-59
1 (20%)
60+
3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Buyin a f__kin TV. Please help me.  (Read 2175 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Buyin a f__kin TV. Please help me.
« on: August 28, 2013, 04:53:43 PM »
After spending 15-20 hours online researching as well as going to Wal Mart, Best Buy, and Target, I've narrowed it down to what I wanna get:

Vizio's E420d-A0 https://store.vizio.com/led-lcd-hdtvs/e420da0.html

It has everything I was looking for:

-At least 42"

-1080p

-At least 120hz refresh rate (I watch a shitload of sports so motion blur is a concern.)

-At least 3 HDMI inputs

-Composite/Component input

-USB input capable of playing music and videos

-3D

-Smart TV

*I listed all the specs in case anyone can recommend me any other models which may be preferable*

My big problem is that it doesn't come with a QWERTY remote and I see one listed on Amazon but it has multiple listings and each listing shows a list of compatible models. I saw one which did list the TV I wanna buy in its "compatible" list but most didn't include it in their list. I also tried chatting with their tech support from their official site and all they said was that they couldn't guarantee it would work with it. You'd think they could just straight up tell me yes or no since it involves two products specifically made by them.

I really have a big greasy hardon for this TV though and the ONLY thing stopping me from buying it is the dreadful thought of not being able to find any QWERTY-based alternative to using a shitty, clunky onscreen keyboard where you have to type things out like a 2004 text message using the number keys exclusively.

Lastly, all these smart TVs list a whole shitload of streaming services. Will I still have to pay monthly fees for Netflix, Hulu, etc. or when they say "access to these apps" does that include any free usage?

Thanks for any help and sorry for the wall of text, y'all.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Grizz

Re: Buyin a f__kin TV. Please help me.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 04:59:17 PM »
Vizio TV's are complete shit. I don't know anything about QWERTY remotes. You still have to pay for streaming services besides ones like Youtube. If you are subscribed to HBO on cable, you should be able to get HBO GO free.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 05:02:17 PM »
This model as well as another one I was looking at got nearly-unanimous good reviews on tech sites and consumer review sections that were not affiliated with Vizio. What in particular makes you say that?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 05:04:28 PM »
Try CNet.com.  They are the best for reviews on electronics
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Grizz

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 05:11:58 PM »
Well I've used Vizio TV's and they've all had horrible colors, black levels, and all that you'd expect from a cheap TV. Looks like this one's not bad though.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

• DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 05:24:17 PM »
Oh okay. Just wanted to make sure there weren't any alarming issues that would make buying this a real mistake. Can anyone tell me if they know of how I may be able to use a QWERTY interface for inputting on this thing? Also, will this thing have a proper internet browser or is it strictly the built-in apps with no other internet stuff available?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 06:15:42 PM »
Vizio TV's are complete shit. I don't know anything about QWERTY remotes. You still have to pay for streaming services besides ones like Youtube. If you are subscribed to HBO on cable, you should be able to get HBO GO free.

I'm on my second Vizio and there are 5 in my house total.... I praise them with nothing bad to say.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 06:30:24 PM »
What's the keyboard for?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 06:39:47 PM »
To make it easier to input search terms with the apps. I think the default way is an onscreen keyboard and those are miserably slow. I'll gladly buy a 3rd party device if anyone can verify any that'll be compatible with the TV.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 09:08:13 PM »
To make it easier to input search terms with the apps. I think the default way is an onscreen keyboard and those are miserably slow. I'll gladly buy a 3rd party device if anyone can verify any that'll be compatible with the TV.
I don't get it.  My TV has no apps.  I just watch TV on it, so I just use my remote.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 09:14:44 PM »
I don't get it.  My TV has no apps.  I just watch TV on it, so I just use my remote.
Your TV wasn't made in the last 8 years or so, was it? :lol

Now most comes with some kind of streaming app and photo sharing, besides others.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 09:16:11 PM »
Your TV wasn't made in the last 8 years or so, was it? :lol

Now most comes with some kind of streaming app and photo sharing, besides others.
I don't know.  I guess not.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 01:49:27 AM »
Yep. Modern TVs connect to Wi-Fi and everything. :)

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 08:55:33 PM »
I have a 32" Vizio and it's very good for the price. It's got a good picture and it's just what I need. The only bad thing I've heard with Vizio tv's are that they don't last very long. Mine has lasted about 3 years so far. As far as tv's go, I think Samsung is the best, but it comes with a price

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 09:21:22 PM »
We have two Visios in our game room, and they work fine for their intended use with consoles, but for TV's I'm not much of a fan. I also have 4 Samsungs in the house, and wont go with anything else. Last month I bought a 65 inch F9000 Ultra HD for less than 6k. So far it's the best TV I've ever owned. We use Samsungs Smart features...a lot. I'm a huge fan of their apps selection. The remote is incredibly easy to use (and I was a huge fan of my stand-by Logitech remotes I have with the other sets), and I'm fast becoming a fan of the voice feature. Love this tv. It lists out at over 8K. Worth every penny. Great investment in home entertainment.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 09:26:04 PM »
Purchased a new TV for the basement today.  I went into Best Buy determined to by a Vizio E601I-A3, but ended up with a Panasonic TC-L58E60 for $100 more.  The picture and Smart capabilities seemed much better.  The salesmen told me Vizio is the lesser version of LG.  It seemed like a solid TV from reviews and looked good as well, but the Panasonic blew me away.

The salesman tried really hard to get me to buy a plasma too.  I don't have anything against plasmas, but I really like the brighter picture of an LED/LCD TV.  They also consume less energy which makes my power bill happier.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 11:33:09 PM »
I have a cheap off brand 42 inch HDTV from walmart in the living room and a 19 inch hdtv (lol tiny screen) in the bedroom... also from walmart... I can't add much to this thread...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 11:43:36 PM »
F_ckin lol.
I can' add mauch, bur I have 32 inch that wa quite cheap, works pefeckly fo my situation.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 11:50:58 PM »
Alrighty. I went with Vizio's E420d-A0 which I linked in the OP. Keeping with the perfect theme of ongoing headaches with the whole goose chase of a chore this purchase has become, my TV is slated to be delivered no earlier than the friday before week 1 and as late as the tuesday afterward. I think I'd literally give a bum a handjob just to guarantee its delivery in time for sunday's slate of games if the bum could cleanly pass an STD test. As soon as I find a better job I'm definitely getting a Wii U and home theater for it.

Regardless thanks to all of you for the help and, Tempe, drinks are on me if you ever invite me over for a football game.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 11:53:05 PM »
yuoure welcome for any Seahwaks and Bills game floyd.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 03:20:16 AM »
"If money were no object, how many inches would be necessary to satisfy you?"

And the only vote is 60+ inches... Wow, you people really have some high standards :zydar:

Offline philmcson

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »
I bought my TV a year ago and didn't succumb to the marketing trickery of the store where I bought it. Of course, they make the bigger screens look great while the smaller ones being put close to the former ones look miserable. But, I took a 20" TV and it works fine enough for me. I don't live in a cinema so I see no need to have a 120" screen right now.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 10:44:56 AM »
I just bought a 55" a few months ago... In an ideal world that would have been 80"

Offline philmcson

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 10:48:48 AM »
Oops, sorry, it's not a 20" but 32". Too tired to do math. :blush Still, it was one of the cheapest in the store