Author Topic: Andromeda Appreciation Thread  (Read 1845 times)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Andromeda Appreciation Thread
« on: December 12, 2011, 10:48:54 AM »
Appreciates.

I didn't see a thread for them when I searched.

I really like Extension of the Wish and Chimera. II=I is good, and so is The Immunity Zone.

I just got Manifest Tyranny. Anyone else listen to it?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Andromeda Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 10:58:58 AM »
Haven't listened to the new one yet. I love Chimera and like a couple of songs from Extension and II=I. I need to relisten to The Immunity Zone a couple of times.

And yeah, I appreciate this band as well.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »
Reporting to appreciate.  Only tried Extension of the Wish on Grooveshark, but I like what I heard.  Checking out others before purchase.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 01:26:37 PM »
Reporting to appreciate.  Only tried Extension of the Wish on Grooveshark, but I like what I heard.  Checking out others before purchase.

WARNING: The others are much different.  Almost to the point of it sounding like a different band.

My personal favorite from them is II=I

They're a great band with some great albums. 

Haven't heard anything from the new one, but I see it's getting a luke-warm reception in a few places.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 01:49:31 PM »

WARNING: The others are much different.  Almost to the point of it sounding like a different band.

Haven't heard anything from the new one, but I see it's getting a luke-warm reception in a few places.

The bolded is the understatement of the year.

The new one is okay. It's not horrible but it is a very far departure from EOTW

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 06:10:54 PM »
I've only have Extension and II=I but really like both of them... just haven't really had the urge to listen to them in a very long time.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 06:19:35 PM »
I youtubed a few songs and need to get into them... they are next on my Prog Metal "get into" list right behind Haken :)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 02:44:23 AM »
Listened to The Immunity zone.

Great stuff.  :metal

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 05:20:59 AM »
When I was drooling all over Prog Metal they were one of the bands I really digged. If I put their stuff on now, I guess I'd still like their first three albums. After that I lost interest.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 05:26:23 AM »
I think Extension of the Wish is definitely their strongest album. If you can find it with their original singer, it makes for a totally different album.

II=I was good, but it went into a total different direction. Encyclopedia and Mirages are probably my favorite on that one.

Chimera was my favorite for a long time. Periscope, In the End and Going Under are very strong tracks.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 05:26:58 AM »
appreciates.
has all of it.

I went through their catalogue at the same time I discovered Masterplan, and Pagan's Mind. Only PM has really stuck for me but I do go back and listen to the others from time to time.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 05:32:02 AM »
appreciates.
has all of it.

I went through their catalogue at the same time I discovered Masterplan, and Pagan's Mind. Only PM has really stuck for me but I do go back and listen to the others from time to time.

I think that's the problem with Andromeda's albums (EOTW excluded)...they're pretty forgettable except for a hook or chorus here or there. EOTW has great guitar solos and licks everywhere. The songs I think are just incredibly strong. The best part is that EOTW was basically written by the guitarist, the rest of the albums were written as a band. Let Johan just do the writing!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 02:23:33 PM »
I've had "Manifest Tyranny" now for a couple of weeks.  Seriously biting social commentary in the lyrics and a stripped down, less complex style of songwriting.

Easily their weakest album to date.  I'm not too crazy about bands getting into overt political commentary, even when I largely agree with their point of view. 

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 02:09:10 AM »
I do not care for this band whatsoever. Too much tomfoolery with the vocals. I want a human being, not a robot.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 05:04:51 AM »

I love Extension, but you're right. I haven't heard much else from them that has really grabbed me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 05:38:51 AM »
I love Extension, but you're right. I haven't heard much else from them that has really grabbed me.

I'm with ya.  Extension is very good, the rest ... meh (and that's about as kind as I can put it).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 08:38:45 AM »
I really love the song, Veil of Illumination off of The Immunity Zone. I have that album, and I've heard Chameleon Carneval off of Extension, but I haven't gone any further with them. Looks like Extension is the way to go.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 02:52:21 PM »
Where did these guys get their band name from? Is it from the Andromeda space system?

If so, and this may be pretty off topic, but have you guys heard of Alex Collier before? He has come in contact with Aliens from Andromeda, maybe...

https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/esp_andromedacom.htm
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 08:39:52 AM »
I've seen this band mentioned on YouTube videos promoting the top prog bands.  I liked what I heard, but never explored.  I'm finally sinking my teeth into their first album, Extension of the Wish.  Pretty good so far.  I'm surprised there's not many comments about them on here.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 08:45:19 AM »
Hey mebert78 - look for the re-issued version of that album with their new vocalist.  It's a lot better.

Oh, and that is their best album by a country mile  :metal

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 09:28:59 AM »
Cool!  Thanks for the advice.  I'll probably focus on that album for a little bit and explore their others if it grabs me as much as it seems to so far.  I don't see anything indicating if I'm listening to the re-issue or not.  I'm currently listening on YouTube and Spotify because I'm at work.

EDIT: Ok, I think I see that the Final Extension album from 2004 is the re-issed version?  I'll check that out next. :)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 09:55:03 AM »
listened to Extension and 2=1 a TON back in th day.
But between cringing at the live DVD, and not being impressed upon checking out Immunity Zone, I lost interest :-(

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 05:27:06 PM »
Hey mebert78 - look for the re-issued version of that album with their new vocalist.  It's a lot better.

I don't necessarily agree with this. The old singer grew on me. Also they added unnecessary vocals to Arch Angel which I really liked as it was.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.