Poll

Which vocalist do you prefer?

Zach Stevens
13 (72.2%)
Jon Oliva
5 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: 80s Glam/Metal Vocal Showdown #13: Stevens vs Oliva  (Read 1234 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
80s Glam/Metal Vocal Showdown #13: Stevens vs Oliva
« on: August 25, 2013, 08:07:32 PM »
Ok, before anyone gripes, yes I know that A) Savatage is neither glam nor metal, and B) Zach Stevens didn't sing anything in the 80s (better known for 90s output with Savatage and TSO).  But... this seemed like too good a matchup to pass up.  So, is it early Savatage, or later Savatage that DTF prefers... that's really what it boils down to (JO's Pain and Circle II Circle notwithstanding).  While I made the leap into Savatage's discography a couple years back, it was a lot to digest at one time, and I still don't feel that I have a complete grip on it.

Gonna have to listen to some Savatage over the next couple of days before I can place my vote.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: 80s Glam/Metal Vocal Showdown #13: Stevens vs Oliva
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 08:53:15 PM »
This one has a chance of being close, unlike most of these it seems  :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 08:55:29 PM »
Zach, and, uhm, it's Jon Olivia.  :biggrin:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 08:58:36 PM »
Zach, and, uhm, it's Jon Olivia.  :biggrin:

Actually it's not. I was quite shocked as I've been calling him Jon Olivia for a few years. I saw his latest, and was like WTF?!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 09:11:40 PM »
Well shine my shoes.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 09:26:56 PM »
Well, I had a double typo in there anyway (which is now fixed)

This one has a chance of being close, unlike most of these it seems  :lol

Hey now!  Some have been close.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 12:17:00 AM »
Stevens is the better singer but Oliva is the more emotional one, so Oliva by a slight margin for me.

Also: how is Savatage not Metal?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 03:03:50 AM »
ooh, a cruel one!
I love Savatage but only really tolerate Jon's vocals. They fit some songs but not the more melodic ones for me. Zach isn't perfect but is more of an all-rounder.
Zach for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 05:28:17 AM »
Harsh showdown.......went with Oliva.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 05:45:15 AM »
Harsh showdown.......went with Stevens.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 06:08:48 AM »
My favourite albums are the Jon albums, but as a vocalist I'd rather hear Zach. Tough one though.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 06:10:09 AM »
Went with neither.  I don't have the first clue about ANY output from either one of them.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 07:11:03 AM »
I just can't go against Jon. I was a 'Tage fan before the change in singers and saw them live too many times with Jon as the front man. I just can't imagine anyone else pulling of 24 Hours Ago.

Besides, he once told me the raunchiest joke I've ever heard while we were in the parking lot having a smoke. Seriously, it's so bad I can't repeat it! Ever. To anyone.

Jon Oliva
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 12:12:56 PM »

Well, I consider it more Hard Rock.  I mean, it's not Pantera or Metallica level of 'metal'.

Anyway, just listened to a couple of Oliva albums (Gutter Ballet and Dungeons) as well as Stevens albums (Edge of Thorns and Wake of Magellan), and I think the only thing I can conclude is WHY DON'T I LISTEN TO SAVATAGE MORE OFTEN!?!?!?!?

Seriously.

And seriously, I could flip a coin... but I voted Stevens.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 12:44:14 PM »
ooh, a cruel one!
I love Savatage but only really tolerate Jon's vocals. They fit some songs but not the more melodic ones for me. Zach isn't perfect but is more of an all-rounder.
Zach for me.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 02:01:46 PM »

Well, I consider it more Hard Rock.  I mean, it's not Pantera or Metallica level of 'metal'.

Anyway, just listened to a couple of Oliva albums (Gutter Ballet and Dungeons) as well as Stevens albums (Edge of Thorns and Wake of Magellan), and I think the only thing I can conclude is WHY DON'T I LISTEN TO SAVATAGE MORE OFTEN!?!?!?!?

Seriously.

And seriously, I could flip a coin... but I voted Stevens.

Gutter Ballet was my first Sava-album and still my favourite with Streets.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 03:50:02 PM »
WHY DON'T I LISTEN TO SAVATAGE MORE OFTEN!?!?!?!?

Good point. I'm off to Sirens. Old school!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 11:24:32 AM »
Stevens easily. Pretty sure it's spelled Zak, btw. His full name is Zachary, but every time I've ever seen it printed, it's been as Zak. Oliva was pretty awesome for awhile, but then his voice really went downhill. His vocal spots on Dead Winter Dead and The Wake of Magellan are kinda shaky, IMO. I haven't heard enough of Poets and Madmen to give an opinion, but I have heard that he has rehabilitated his voice quite a bit recently. But Zak has so much power and range, Jon just can't quite compare.

I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 06:04:45 PM »
Oh man, this is so cruel! 

It's a very difficult comparison because despite singing in the same band, they are two very different types of singers.  I think back in the day, Jon had more range and versatility, being able to shift between sounding like John Lennon and Ronnie James Dio at an instant, but Zak's technique was (and still is) better and more professional, and he's no slouch when it comes to variety either.  His smokey, Southern-style vocals are just as strong as his Geoff Tate-esque wails, and he was certainly better suited to singing  the mainstream ballad songs (which came to dominate the Savatage discography after Gutter Ballet) while still being able to handle the more metal materiel. 

Overall, looking at the entirety of their careers, I think Zak has held up better as a vocalist.  While they are very different, and this comparison is to a certain degree more of a matter of taste then anything else, I think it can safely be said that while Jon Oliva was a better frontman, artist and songwriter, Zak was (and still is) the better singer.  To Jon's credit, I do enjoy listening to his post-Savatage records more then Zak's, mostly because I do think he is the better songwriter, but based purely on vocal performances, I have to give this to Zak.