Poll

Which vocalist do you prefer?

Dave Mustaine
7 (11.5%)
James Hetfield
54 (88.5%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: 80s Glam/Metal Vocal Showdown #12: Mustaine vs Hetfield  (Read 4346 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: 80s Glam/Metal Vocal Showdown #12: Mustaine vs Hetfield
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2013, 10:22:17 AM »
I haven't listened to a lot of Megadeth songs, but in the few I've heard Mustaine's attempts at singing are pretty laughable. Hetfield by miles, even though I'm not much of a Metallica fan.
:(
I mean, seriously, I chuckle every time I hear Symphony of Destruction thanks to Dave's vocals! :lol

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2013, 11:21:09 AM »
Symphony Of Destruction is a song that doesn't deserve the name Megadeth IMO. Let alone being a good representation of Dave's vocals or the band in general.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2013, 11:37:25 AM »
Hetfield. Mustaine's vocals have always been the biggest roadblock for me in terms of getting into Megadeth's music.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2013, 11:55:27 AM »
I actually like Mustaine's voice and it gives Megadeth it's character. I just think musically, Dave is a little schizo.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2013, 07:17:24 PM »

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2013, 01:19:52 AM »
So?

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2013, 01:48:51 PM »
Mustaine

Can I get a yeah  (Hetfield reference)
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2013, 01:34:15 PM »
I'll take 90's Hetfield over just about anyone in all of rock.  Which is amazing because his 80's vocals aren't very good.  The fact that he improved so much makes me really respect him for clearly working at it.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2013, 08:25:49 PM »
Dave's vocals got excellent from CTE until (and including) Risk. Really, Risk is probably his best vocal performance overall. And I'd still take that over Hetfield's greatest moments.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
I'll take 90's Hetfield over just about anyone in all of rock.  Which is amazing because his 80's vocals aren't very good.  The fact that he improved so much makes me really respect him for clearly working at it.

They aren't? I disagree. Master Of Puppets and especially And Justice For All are great. Yeah, maybe he became a technically better sings, and maybe that's what you're saying, but I thought he was pretty good in the 80's.

You can probably pick apart Kill 'Em All, but he was really just a kid that became the singer by default. Still, I think it's a landmark performance.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2013, 01:03:36 PM »

They aren't? I disagree. Master Of Puppets and especially And Justice For All are great. Yeah, maybe he became a technically better sings, and maybe that's what you're saying, but I thought he was pretty good in the 80's.

You can probably pick apart Kill 'Em All, but he was really just a kid that became the singer by default. Still, I think it's a landmark performance.

I would say Kill 'Em All and RTL vocals are embarrassing, MOP and AJFA are tolerable but not what I'd consider good, and Black is a big improvement, and Load and after even more so.  That's just my opinion.  Maybe I'm picky.  It's not like thrash is my favorite genre anyway, so you could have a different standard of comparison.  But like I said, I think his 90s work is very very good and I admire him a lot.