Author Topic: Big Hath's Roulette The 1st - Final Results!  (Read 27640 times)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 1st - Final Round Underway!
« Reply #245 on: November 03, 2013, 07:04:10 AM »
Holy shit zeez, I didn't know you could eat THAT much popcorn  :omg:

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 1st - Final Round Underway!
« Reply #246 on: November 03, 2013, 11:14:13 AM »
Holy shit zeez, I didn't know you could eat THAT much popcorn  :omg:
I can before vomiting.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 1st - Final Results!
« Reply #247 on: November 03, 2013, 01:22:10 PM »
Final Round Results.  This is it, folks!  Another good batch of songs to finish things off.

Rank #9, 2 points: LieLowTheWantedMan - 10cc - Wall Street Shuffle - Really liked how this one opened with the riff full of attitude.  But it kind of lost me once the mood relaxed a bit.  Overall really cool, but it had some bits I can best describe as "Broadway" that I wasn't crazy about.  Interesting that I used one street in Manhattan to describe the song titled after another.

You had some really strong entries this roulette.  I have already bought the Ours album, and I have Gentle Giant and Melvins high up on my "must check out" list.

Rank #8, 4 points: Scorpion - Reverence - After the Leaves Have Fallen - Nice message song.  Just a little short I thought.  There's really only the verses and then an awesome solo, but that's just kind of it.  I feel like I've heard this band before . . . wait, I've got it, I listened to their song "Too Late" a few times several months ago and really liked it, probably a few notches more than this song unfortunately.  This song did remind me that I need to go back and check them out again, kudos for that!

From your entries, I have already bought the Accept album, and am about to place orders for both the Trioscapes and Touchstone albums.  I may end up getting the other Touchstone albums they've released since I liked that song so much.

Rank #7, 6 points: kári - Talk Talk - I Believe In You - Loved it when the keys came in with that ethereal sound about halfway through.  After that it got a little weird for a bit.  I like the angelic sounding ending!

You sent a lot of stuff this roulette that I never would have encountered.  Some of the artists I want to check out further are Sigur Ros, Daughter, and Talk Talk.

Rank #6, 8 points: Lolzeez - Chvrches - Gun - It's you I'll come for.  You know what, I actually kind of like it!  Reminiscent of the Grimes tune I received earlier, but more coherent as a song/less ethereal.

You've gotten me interested in several bands as well such as more Rainbow stuff, Rage Against the Machine (that was a surprising song for me), Cult of Luna, and amazingly, Chvrches.  I also need to go back and listen more carefully to Return to Forever.

Rank #5, 10 points: Dark Castle - Witchcraft - Deconstruction - Love the instrumental stuff - nice doomy sound.  Kind of on the fence about the vocals, but that's really my only knock on this song.  Really strong entry.

You and Onno sent perhaps the widest array of musical styles this roulette.  I have the Death album high on my list of things to order and need to further explore Intronaut, Holy Grail, and Witchcraft.

Rank #4, 12 points: MoraWintersoul - Leverage - Wolf and the Moon - I really like the symphonic elements.  Very dynamic and cinematic sounding band.  This song and the next one were really close when I was ranking, hard to decide as I wanted to place each one higher after I listened to it.

I think you were the most consistent player this roulette as almost all your songs were really strong.  I've already bought one Wolverine album and will probably get at least one more soon.  The Apocalyptica and Triosphere albums will also be ordered in the near future.  Need to check out Enochian Theory, Sieges Even, and Leverage further.

Rank #3, 14 points: jingle.boy - Lost in Thought - Beyond the Flames - Cool intro, nice use of sitar, with good heavy riffing.  Kind of had a Myrath feel to it.  Not too crazy about the vocalist, however.  I like the more relaxed section with the acoustic (or maybe 12-string) underneath.  Also thought that really busy keyboard solo over the chugging guitar was quite awesome.  Overall it was a good song, but it didn't quite have enough going for it to outpace the top two.

Spectacular comeback into contention after that first round.  I've already bought the Ice Age album.  And have many more to look into such as Magnus Karlsson, Thought Chamber, Vandroya, Triumph, etc

Rank #2, 16 points: Onno - The Wrong Object - Yantra - The opening section had a really strong Mingus vibe.  I love that bari-sax sound (assuming that's what it is).  Then about halfway through I feel like I'm listening to Bitches Brew - awesome!  Vibraphone? - now it's the Modern Jazz Quartet!  This was a really cool song with a mix of lots of different jazzy elements.  Great comeback after a few lower scoring rounds.

As I mentioned earlier, you sent a crazy variety of music!  Need to get that Flying Colors album.  Also need to listen to those two Levin projects more.

Rank #1, 18 points: Elite - Magic Pie - A Life's Work - Yep, this is awesome!  Cool proggy section after the atmospheric intro.  I like all the unison and call/response bits.  Lots of cool sounds and patches on the keyboard, too.  I like that vocal driven part with the very interesting vocal harmonies.  Don't hear too much in this type of music.  That short keyboard solo around 16:00 was magic - I love that rhodes-like sound he was using.  This was a really great song and just what I was looking for.  Album ordered!

Really great group of songs from you this roulette.  Even your two lowest scoring songs have me interested in those bands to some extent (Mr. bungle, Royal Hunt).  Already ordered Shadow Gallery and Magic Pie.  Have Effloresce, Protest the Hero and Beardfish high on the list as well.

Final Ranking

Elite - 70
jingle.boy - 66
MoraWintersoul - 64
Onno - 52
Scorpion - 49
Dark Castle - 41
LieLowTheWantedMan - 40
Lolzeez - 37
kári - 31

Congratulations, Elite!!

Thanks to everyone for sending all the great music.  This was a really cool experience.  Sorry for all the delays and hope you had fun participating.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #248 on: November 03, 2013, 01:52:34 PM »
I've already bought one Wolverine album and will probably get at least one more soon.  The Apocalyptica and Triosphere albums will also be ordered in the near future.  Need to check out Enochian Theory, Sieges Even, and Leverage further.
Wipee I got you to spend some moneyz! :biggrin: thanks for running, had a lot of fun. Congrats Rich!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #249 on: November 03, 2013, 02:02:12 PM »
Gefeliciteerd Rich! I really enjoyed the Roulette Hath, thanks for hosting it! And glad you liked the song :)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #250 on: November 03, 2013, 02:13:22 PM »
It was nice to follow this thread and read your reactions to a few songs I received in my own roulette :D

Congrats Rich!

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #251 on: November 03, 2013, 03:26:10 PM »
Wow, awesome! Another roulette win :squee:

I'm glad you enjoyed what I sent! Thanks for running this roulette :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #252 on: November 03, 2013, 03:32:31 PM »
I
I
I HAVE BURNED YOUR BRIDGES.

Thanks for running this!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #253 on: November 03, 2013, 04:42:10 PM »
Fun! Congrats Elite!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #254 on: November 03, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »
It was a lot of fun Big Hath; thank you for letting me join in, and congratulations Elite  :)

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #255 on: November 04, 2013, 08:30:22 AM »
Some of the artists I want to check out further are Sigur Ros
Good. :D

Also, congrats to Elite, and thanks for hosting :)

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #256 on: November 06, 2013, 10:18:31 AM »
Almost completed the comeback.  Not surprising to have lost to Rich.  Congrats.  Guess you are now 'Elite'.  Don't let Doc tell ya otherwise.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion