Poll

Which vocalist do you prefer?

Jeff Keith
12 (60%)
Tom Keifer
8 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: 80s Glam/Metal Vocal Showdown #11: Keith vs Keifer  (Read 1701 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
80s Glam/Metal Vocal Showdown #11: Keith vs Keifer
« on: August 22, 2013, 05:09:52 AM »
Couple of guys that really had a lot of soul and blues in their voices.  Both really lay on the raspy-ness at times - Keifer really comes through that way in the cover of Janis Joplin's Move Over.  Tesla was obviously the bigger band, and continues to prove so with the fact they are coming up on their third release in the 2000s, while Cinderella is nowhere to be found.  Cinderella always struck me as that band that should've broken through and made it bigger, but for some reason just didn't.

Got a feeling this one will be over quick.

Keith gets the nod from me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: 80s Glam/Metal Vocal Showdown #11: Keith vs Keifer
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 05:30:05 AM »
Jeff Keith all the way. He has a cool rocking rasp in his singing whereas Keifer has more of a screech which sometimes can be annoying. And although I do like me some Cinderella, Tesla beats them in all categories.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 05:47:34 AM »
This is gonna be another one sided beat down.  :lol

Keith, beyond the shadow of a doubt.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 05:48:59 AM »
I hate Keifer and like Keith. Easy choice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 06:16:07 AM »
Jeff Keith all the way. He has a cool rocking rasp in his singing whereas Keifer has more of a screech which sometimes can be annoying. And although I do like me some Cinderella, Tesla beats them in all categories.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 06:22:13 AM »
I love Tesla, but it's Keifer, without question.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 06:26:55 AM »
I love Tesla, but it's Keifer, without question.

That's three in a row that you're bucking the trend.  Way to stand up for your principle's... even when they are WAAAAYYY out there!  :jets:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 06:32:41 AM »
 :lol  And it WOULD appear that I'm doing it on purpose, but I'm totally not.  Tesla was without question one of the better bands I've seen.  But Cinderella was without question one of the even better bands I've seen.  First year we went to M3, the Scorpions were the closer.  A lot of the talk I read online was that Cinderella stole the fucking show that day, and for good reason.  Tom Keifer just released a solo album, also.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 07:33:52 AM »
Man, this is a tough call.  When me & the guys get together to jam, there are two bands from the '80s that I won't touch.  These are those two bands, and the two guys that are the subject of this thread are the reason why. 

Keith had (I say "had" because, unfortunately, his voice is greatly diminished nowadays) a naturally high voice that was hard to beat. 

Keifer's high more obviously incorporates a lot more falsetto.  But I feel Tom's voice is a lot more varied, as evidenced by the rare glimpses at his lower, more natural register.

Still hard to decide, so I'm going to have to go to the tiebreaker:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XOWYe9TgaU  Tom wins.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 07:38:35 AM »
:clap:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 07:45:18 AM »
It's easy to see the Steven Tyler influence on both.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 08:10:46 AM »
I wasn't a huge fan of either band but I can say this much: What I did love about Tesla had nothing to do with the vocals. What I did love about Cinderella had everything to do with the vocals.

Tom Keifer.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 09:50:22 AM »

Saves me typing. I agree with all this.
Keith always felt to me like a singer with a rasp whereas Keifer was a rasp who could sing a bit. Not much variety with Keifer; ballad, rocker, country song- he sounds the same on them all. Saying that I do like Cinderella- I like Tesla a whole lot more.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 04:23:40 PM »
Very close but the slight edge goes to Tom

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 04:31:11 PM »
I'll just add:  Another interesting thing about this matchup is that if I had to do a top 10 '80s metal/glam albums list, both of these bands would definitely make the list.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 04:56:13 PM »
They are both amazing vocalists and it's really hard to pick a winner, but I have to go with Tom Keifer. I always felt Cinderella are one of the most underrated hard rock bands ever, and that Keifer has a voice so interesting, versatile, and powerful that he's on a completely different level from all of the other "glam metal" singers. For proof, just listen to his performance on the title track of "Long Cold Winter." It gives me chills every time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 07:31:02 PM »
I'll just add:  Another interesting thing about this matchup is that if I had to do a top 10 '80s metal/glam albums list, both of these bands would definitely make the list.
I am not sure Cinderella would make mine. I honestly can't listen to Kiefer for too long.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 07:49:57 PM »
I am not sure Cinderella would make mine. I honestly can't listen to Kiefer for too long.

Long, Cold Winter definitely makes mine.  In no particular order, I think my top 10 would be:
Badlands - self titled
Cinderella - Long, Cold Winter
Def Leppard - Pryomania
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Scorpions - Love At First Sting
Stryper - To Hell With The Devil
Tesla - The Great Radio Controvery
Whitesnake - self titled
Y&T - Black Tiger
Y&T - In Rock We Trust
(yes, I know.  But these go to 11)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 07:52:58 PM »
I've heard both live recently (on TV) and I like Keith more but he has lost his voice that's for sure.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 07:54:47 PM »
Top 10 80's hard rock/Glam?/hair metal albums? That deserves its own thread!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 08:02:32 PM »

I think it does.  Do you want to do the honors?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 03:22:15 AM »

Ahh, thought my top 50 was hard- narrowing down that decade of my life to 10 albums? Almost impossible.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 05:16:40 AM »
Not that it adds anything meaningful to this thread but the verb "keifen" in german means nagging, so a "keifer" would be someone who's nagging constantly  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 06:39:25 AM »

Thank you. But I'm on vacation right now and would have trouble participating.