Author Topic: Any Bryan Adams Fans in ?  (Read 4465 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Any Bryan Adams Fans in ?
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2015, 08:57:11 AM »
Fantastic pop/rock singer/songwriter.  Glad to hear he has something new coming out.  I will check it out.

It's 13 tracks - which is 9 brand new songs and then 4 of the songs acoustic.
That's cool.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2015, 05:36:01 PM »
Fantastic pop/rock singer/songwriter.  Glad to hear he has something new coming out.  I will check it out.

It's 13 tracks - which is 9 brand new songs and then 4 of the songs acoustic.
That's cool.

You can preview the album on Spotify. https://open.spotify.com/track/4xGlyCQrrgX1KNsu0fsKuy

Sounds pretty decent.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2020, 04:34:02 AM »
So Bry's new album Shine A Light has been out a while. Pretty decent. Not as good as "11" but WAY better than the obvious contract filler that was "Get Up!"

I'm certain Bry made it to get back at the label who said he "had to" deliver them a covers album and he didn't want to.

So it was 9 songs long and sounds like he didn't spend a lot of time writing it.

He also thinks "Get Up!" is his "Best album since the 80s" :lolpalm:

If he's not joking.... It's easily his worst. Waking Up The Neighbours. 18 Til I Die, On A Day like Today, Room Service, Shine A Light - they're ALL better.

So yeah - the new album is pretty good. even the song he wrote with Ed Sheeran - who I hate with a passion.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2020, 05:35:35 AM »
So Bry's new album Shine A Light has been out a while.

Heh, the one advertised as follows:

"(singing) shine a light, shine a light, shine a light, shine a light, shine a light... (narrator) The new album from Bryan Adams...".

You'll never guess what came next  :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2020, 06:08:21 AM »
Right cause nobody ever repeats the song title in the chorus...

Rick Beato just did a whole video on all the songs whose choruses are just the hook.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2020, 03:06:05 PM »
Some of his early stuff is OK - and 'Summer of 69' is a classic....but to often his go to materal is love songs/ballad's....gets tedious when all the lyrics are I love you/don't leave me/comeback to me etc, etc.  Sometimes feels like Westlife with guitars!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2020, 05:17:15 PM »
Shine A Light is actually fairly rocking for him. Get Up! was a pretty lame album. I really like On A Day Like Today and 11.

After that it's a bit ballady for sure.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2020, 09:13:55 PM »
Run to You and Somebody are nice 80s classic

“(Everything I Do) I Do It For You” is one of the great slow dance/prom songs, ever written.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2020, 04:24:23 AM »
Agreed. It's such a good song. He's tried to write another like it a few times ( Flying is pretty blatant - even has the same 3 note piano fill )... But he's never bettered it imo.

Although Please Forgive Me is pretty great too.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2020, 06:06:27 AM »
Right cause nobody ever repeats the song title in the chorus...

Oh good grief.

I like Bryan Adams, else I wouldn't even bother reading the thread (and I like the song, as it happens) but it was funny, particularly the semi-dramatic pause between "the new album from Bryan Adams..." and "...Shine A Light".

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2020, 07:32:34 AM »
I can't add much here, except that I have "Cuts Like A Knife" and "Reckless", and they are classic albums, in the vein of "Don't Say No" by Billy Squier.

Trivia:  "Don't Leave Me Lonely" from "CLAK" was co-written with Eric Carr from Kiss, and was originally intended to be on "Creatures Of The Night".   "Rock And Roll Hell", originally given to the Bachman/Turner Overdrive, and re-written with Gene, did make the cut, as did the original "War Machine" co-written with Gene.

Even if you're not a fan of the man or his solo records, I can almost guarantee you've heard the Adams/Vallance team.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2020, 07:57:22 AM »
My Dad went to school with one of the team that represented Bryan and one day I got to go to Elliot Kennedy's SteelWorks studio in Sheffield.

It was funny. Nice big studio and because it's mainly for pop music - someone said they have a whole seperate room for " tuning the spice girls vocals " :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2021, 03:24:47 PM »
So i've been drumming to a lot of B.A. recently and do think that On A Day Like Today is his best album since Waking Up The Neighbours - which is my fave of his.

I've not heard any of his 80s albums at all - should I just listen to Reckless ?

Anyway - from WUTN onwards - this is how i'd rank them :

1. Waking Up The Neighbours. I love this album so much I had to buy it 3 times as I wore out 2 cassettes and finally got it on CD :tup

2. On A Day Like Today - Almost as good. Much more organic sounding since it's Bob Rock producing. Nice big sound and a bit less of the You and Me, Me and You, Do what we do, you know its true rhyming dictionary lyrics from Bry.

3. 11. Almost as good as On A Day Like Today. Nice big production with nice widescreen airy songs.

4. 18 Til I Die. Was a long wait for this album but I do really like it. Has some quality rock songs on it like Black Pearl and The Only Thing ... and It Aint A Party.

5. Room Service. Not a bad little album. Guitars sound a bit processed in places but overall a decent album.

6. Shine A Light. A lot better than " Get Up " - nowhere near as good as his best stuff but a decent rock and roll album. if a little trad sounding.

7. Get Up. Only 9 songs. One really great song. A lot of filler. Bry thinks it's his best album since the 80s. LOL NO. Easily the worst album i've heard of his. Sounds SO lazy.

I would not even be shocked if it was a contract filler to get back at the label for demanding he do a covers album when he was dead against it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2021, 01:30:11 PM »
" So Happy It Hurts "

Due March 2022

1. So Happy It Hurts
2. Never Gonna Rain
3. You Lift Me Up
4. I've Been Looking For You
5. Always Have, Always Will.
6. On The Road

7. Kick Ass
8. I Ain't Worth S**t Without You
9. Let's Do This
10. Just Like Me, Just Like You
11. Just About Gone
12. These Are The Moments That Make Up My Life.

Online faizoff

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2021, 02:35:22 PM »
I haven't followed Bryan Adams in a while. Used to listen to him obsessively when Waking up the neighbors and 18 Til' I die came out. The last album I actively listened to was A day like Today and then haven't listened much. My brother saw him in a concert a few years back and said it was fantastic start to finish. His MTV unplugged performance is one of my favorites.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2021, 03:00:55 PM »
Waking Up The Neighbours is easily my #1 . Drum machine aside.

Then On A Day Like Today.

18 Til I die is next. It has a really nice Mutt Lange production but its way more organic sounding than WUTN. It has a lot of ballads but it's a nice big rock and roll album.

My least fave since 1991 is GET UP - because it only has 9 songs on it and it seems like a contractual obligation. And sure enough he released one more album then split from his label.

Which is also the reason a lot of Green Day fans think they did the ˇTrilogy! in 2012. They thought Three albums would fulfil their contract. It didn't. Hence one more 'proper' album

Revolution Radio - then the actual final album on their contract FOAMF. Which I maintain is NOT a 'shit' album. But merely a fun pop punk album. It's not like they intentionally wrote

a 26 min pile of trash. They probably just wrote and recorded it really fast.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2021, 04:32:31 PM »
So it looks like the new album is produced by Mutt Lange again. Hopefully the new album is bit more Rock.

Online nick_z

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2021, 05:24:45 PM »
I haven't followed Bryan Adams for a while now (if memory serves me right, Room Service might be the last thing I heard - and even that, I don't remember a whole lot of), but I always enjoyed his earlier output. My favorite is Reckless, easily. I thought this was a relatively obvious choice, but I'm not seeing it mentioned up here, so maybe it's not THAT obvious?  ;)

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2021, 11:37:42 PM »
Yeah, Reckless all the way  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2021, 12:39:15 AM »
I've never listened to anything Pre Neighbours... Probably should one day.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2021, 02:31:44 AM »
Kinda wild that Wikipedia doesn't mention the AMG debacle. If you search for Bryan Adams on AllMusic, he is nowhere to be found, cos he threw a hissy fit one time about privacy or some crap like that.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2021, 04:12:07 AM »
Just listened to the new song from the forthcoming album. Here’s hoping they remember to add Keith Scott’s guitar to the mix before the album comes out.

I haven’t bothered with a BA album since On A Day Like Today. Any pretence of “rock” had gone by then.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2021, 06:14:40 AM »
Just listened to the new song from the forthcoming album. Here’s hoping they remember to add Keith Scott’s guitar to the mix before the album comes out.

I haven’t bothered with a BA album since On A Day Like Today. Any pretence of “rock” had gone by then.

I haven't owned anything of his (or checked out much) since Into The Fire...............under rated album and yeah - Keith Scott is a very tasteful player.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online nick_z

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2021, 06:36:09 AM »
I've never listened to anything Pre Neighbours... Probably should one day.

You definitely should  :)

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2021, 06:52:18 AM »
Keith Scott is one of those less is more players. No flashy things, no shredding but always playing the right things and some very tasty solos.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2021, 06:55:39 AM »
Absolutely loved the Unplugged and 18 till I Die albums. But haven't followed him ever since.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2021, 09:09:46 AM »

I haven't owned anything of his (or checked out much) since Into The Fire...............under rated album and yeah - Keith Scott is a very tasteful player.

You’ve not missed anything mate WUTN was ok. Very Def Leppard thanks to Mutt’s involvement.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2021, 03:17:50 PM »
To me - Waking up The Neighbours is a bit like Def Leppard - but with actual songs and way less cheese.

Way less of that Boom Cha Ba-Boom Boom Cha rock with gang vocals over it which was a staple of that era.

GET UP is a poor album but it does have " You Belong To Me " which is uber catchy and really fun on guitar. :)

Anyone who hasn't head it should check it out. It's like a kinda Chuck Berry-ish inspired song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2021, 06:17:21 PM »
This young lady is a big fan of Bryan Adams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3BOVQqOOkw

:hat :hat

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2021, 12:28:37 PM »
I love the latest single and am looking forward to the new album. Something new to drum to anyway :)

Now he's free from his label I reckon this new album will be less 'contractual obligation' than GET UP was.

Shine A Light was *ok* but So Happy It Hurts sounds more like classic BA. Hope the new album is great :)

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2021, 02:31:00 PM »
I played keyboards in a Bryan Adams tribute band(we haven't gigged since the pandemic began) it gave me an appreciation for deep cuts in this catalog.  Even though all anybody wants to hear is Summer of 69  :lol  We sometimes joke in the band that we could play only that on a loop for a whole set in a club and people would still go nuts.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 03:33:41 PM by XeRocks81 »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2021, 03:15:38 PM »
To me - Waking up The Neighbours is a bit like Def Leppard - but with actual songs and way less cheese.

Same producer used with Def Leppard so it's understandable they sound similar.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2021, 03:33:01 PM »
was Bryan Adams Into the Fire album produced by Mutt Lange too?  Everytime we played  Heat Of the Night it reminded me of Def Leppard,  and it's a great track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2bE6jzACFQ
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 05:00:54 PM by XeRocks81 »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2021, 04:41:55 PM »
I always thought Def Leppard sounded way more cheesy and plastic than Bryan Adams.

On Hysteria - didn't Mutt go mental and record guitars literally one string at a time ?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2021, 04:55:22 PM »
Mutt produced,

High n' Dry
Pyromania
Hysteria
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC