Author Topic: I just lost my best friend.  (Read 5255 times)

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: I just lost my best friend.
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2013, 06:39:23 PM »
I'm right there with you jingle in tears myself as I read that. If this your first child you lost give yourself time to grieve. We put my Jessie boy down 5 yrs ago due to cancer. We let him have whatever he wanted to eat that day. He sat with me in the chair and ate a frosty paw. We waited a little bit and got a puppy. She is one spoiled bitch! Jessie's sister who we had as well we put her down this past spring. I loved those two.

Feel free to vent here at anytime. Same goes for YtseCullen. Lots of hugs to both of you.

:heart :heart :heart :heart

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2013, 06:55:57 PM »
Hey dude! Definitely shedding a few tears with you there man. It was crazy how similar some of our experiences were. Sending good vibes your way man :heart

Stay strong. I know it's hard. This first day after it all has been absolute hell for me. But be strong. You have a lot of friends that will support you. Myself included. Feel free to message me dude. I know what it's like and I'm happy to listen man. :hug:

May The Force Be With You.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2013, 07:21:42 PM »
Brett - I've been following on FB.  Hang in there, Abby was a beautiful girl.

Gary - I'm in tears after reading your post.  I'm not looking forward to going through what you went through today, but I know that at some point in the future we will with our three cat kids.

Both of you did the right thing.  Our animals depend upon us so much, and sometimes it's hard to let them go but it's what we have to do.  It won't make things easier for either of you, but y'all really did what was best for them in not allowing them to suffer needlessly.

Love, prayers and many hugs to you both. :hug: :'(

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2013, 07:41:18 PM »
Brett..Chad...Deb and Akasha, Everyone who has offered kind sentiments.....Thank you.

I'll ask again to keep my son Kyle in your thoughts/prayers. He's having a very hard time with this. It's tough to explain this to a child. I just hope I can do it in a way that makes sense to him to where he can find some peace.

Again, thank you all.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:05:38 PM by gmillerdrake »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2013, 07:44:03 PM »
Thanks so much Debra! I've been meaning to say thanks for your support!  :heart

DTF is a really great group of people. I've been introduced to a lot of great friends through here. This thread and the support that both myself and Gary have been receiving during this time of sadness is a prime example of the character of the people on this board. Thank you to everyone for everything so far. I really appreciate having a place to come for comfort and everyone here gives that to me. So thank you  :heart

And Gary, I'm definitely thinking about your family. Your son Kyle, and the rest of your family, are in my thoughts. We'll get through this together. :hug:

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2013, 08:33:12 PM »
Brett, I'm so sorry about  Abby  :'(  When I lost Izzy and Lou (see dog thread), well, I didn't think I could ever feel so much loss and cry so hard.  It's amazing how much we love our four legged companions.  Our Sissy girl is 13.5 now, so I know I'll have a hard time sometime in the near future.

Gary,  I sure hope no one walks into my workspace right now,  I work in an oil refinery with a bunch of hard asses and I think I'll have a hard time explaining the tears.  Reading about your last night with Drake took me right back to Lou and Izzy's last days.

I'm sure you both have seen this poem before.  While some may think it cheesy, I like to think there may be a chance in whatever afterlife we all have, that we'll meet up with all our "Kids" again. :heart

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2013, 10:03:34 PM »
That is an amazing poem there CS! Thank you sir that really was an amazing poem to read at a time like this. Thanks again :heart

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2013, 10:08:50 PM »
Rainbow Bridge :'( :'( :'(

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2013, 07:16:07 AM »
I was hoping to wake up and it'd be better. Gotta say its almost tougher because this was the first morning of no letting him outside, getting a fresh batch of water and food etc. etc.

I know it'll get easier with time. I just have to get past the guilt. I feel guilty that I took for granted he'd always be around and didn't 'do' a lot of things with him here the last few years. I have then'excuse' of having kids and life in general....but I just feel like I let him down a bit.

Sorry to keep being a downer....I really am in unfamiliar territory. I'm much better at supporting people in these situations I think than actually going through it. Makes me question a few things about myself.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2013, 07:21:27 AM »
Brett..Chad...Deb and Akasha, Everyone who has offered kind sentiments.....Thank you.

I'll ask again to keep my son Kyle in your thoughts/prayers. He's having a very hard time with this. It's tough to explain this to a child. I just hope I can do it in a way that makes sense to him to where he can find some peace.

Again, thank you all.

I don't know if I can go to the office today after reading your day with Drake...my heart is broken for you and I can't turn off the water works. I keep seeing my Murphy lying in my lap.

I'm so sorry mang. As I said yesterday, I was really concerned for your children, I know how hard this is on them. I send my best wishes for Kyle, but take extra care for yourself. I fear the impact of a missing pet lingers with adults much longer--children bounce back more quickly.

Please accept my deepest sympathies!

I think I'll go hug Sagan for awhile...

[edit]

Sorry to keep being a downer....I really am in unfamiliar territory. I'm much better at supporting people in these situations I think than actually going through it. Makes me question a few things about myself.

Nonsense. You are a sensitive and caring human being. There is no shame in that and you should hold your head up high. The fact that helping others comes naturally to you is an asset we all should have. I envy you that. Take the time to grieve but don't kick yourself too much, mang. You deserve better.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2013, 07:21:33 AM »
No need to question anything.  Just realize that people who are warm, loving and caring, have the feelings and emotions that you're experiencing right now.  It will get easier over time...it's hard, but you'll get through it my friend.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2013, 08:44:34 AM »
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't teary eyed after reading that post about Drake, man... I'm sure you gave that dog an incredible life. My condolences to you and your family  :'(

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2013, 09:18:45 AM »
Gary, Please don't feel guilty. I know it is hard, but you did do the right thing for Drake. So animals don't have it as good as the ones in our life. You loved him and he loved you back. He took care of you and your family. He let Kyle do whatever he wanted to him and took it with grace. You didn't allow him to suffer. His last day was a good one. It is going to be hard for awhile. We are here for you.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2013, 11:24:01 AM »
I was hoping to wake up and it'd be better. Gotta say its almost tougher because this was the first morning of no letting him outside, getting a fresh batch of water and food etc. etc.

Dude I know exactly how you feel. I had an extremely tough day yesterday. It will get better. Trust me. You did the right thing for sure man. I know the struggle with believing that but it's true.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2013, 09:59:59 PM »
I think it's safe to say that I'm slowly getting a sense of peace about this. Not that I ever doubted that I had to put Drake down...I knew he was in bad shape, but I was really (and am still) battling some guilt. Not over putting him to sleep but more about how I could have dedicated more time to just 'him' the past few years/months. Like I mentioned before, I just took for granted that my boy was just always going to be here.

Thanks to a great group of support from you all here in this thread and DTF and a well placed....well timed phone call from a good friend, along with one more good ten minute soulful cry.....I think I've turned a corner. I also decided to jot down a poem....it really helped, and I wanted to share it with you guys. Keep in mind I'm not Bill Shakespeare.

My Good Boy                  by Gary Miller Jr.

As we walked our last walk together,
 my tears fell heavy and hard. 
Each tear representing a memory and the Love we shared,
 either of which you just can't discard.

As his tired steps struggled to maintain his usual pace,
I recalled the countless times he ran bounding through the air.
Like a Puma he could navigate the thickest Missouri forest...
with hardly a care.

Every look I shared with him as we walked side by side,
  held a decade plus of love in its wake.
And sewn within those looks of love,
  was a Bond impossible to break.

Stopping at the waters edge, we paused so he could muster one last swim.
But swimming would have to remain a memory,
 as his aging body had already left him.

Instead, with dignity he slowly eased into the water and layed gracefully still,
and posing with great Westminister posture he enjoyed the gentle massage of the whispering stream,
as it cleansed and prepared his will.

Our walk led us to sit together,
 under a large shade tree.
And as the playful breeze tickled the leaves,
 it soothed our minds....grooming us for what was about to be.

Under a baby blue sky I confessed and shared my love with him,
 although he'd owned my heart from day one.
As I caressed his regal fur I affirmed my love to him,
My Good Boy....my first Son.

The time had arrived that no man wants to meet,
 the price paid by all things living, of which there is no retreat.

I held his tired head in my hands, our trusting eyes forever locked in time.
And calmly whispered to him over and over,
 He was My good Boy...Yes he was...he was mine.

And as his Spirit lifted away,
  hitching a ride on that soothing breeze.
A refreshing sense of peace assured me I'd see
  My Good Boy again,
as I knelt Faithfully on my knees.

I can't say 'Thank you' enough to those of you who have shared kind words and support. It really has meant a lot and helped me during this. I knew that when the day came to put Drake down it'd be hard...I just had no idea it was going to be 'this' hard. You guys and gals are awesome.....Thanks again!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2013, 04:45:44 AM »
That was absolutely beautiful Gary.   :'( :'(  All over again here. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2013, 12:26:21 PM »
Beautiful man  :'( :heart

Glad to see you're feeling a bit better! I feel some guilt too about Abby. I've been told it's fairly natural to feel this way. So don't stress it too much man. We did what we did and our animals loved us regardless. Just remember that :hug:

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2013, 07:18:32 AM »
Great poem Gary it brought me to tears. How are the two of you doing?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2013, 08:13:27 AM »
Great poem Gary it brought me to tears. How are the two of you doing?

Thanks Akasha. I've been doing well. After writing that poem and the tears involved during and after writing it....I made it to a peaceful place. I rebuked the guilt I was having....the I could have / should have done more of this, that etc etc. and accepted the fact Drake and I had an awesome 12 years together and he blessed our family greatly.

The only thing that still lingers is its just 'weird' to not have him here. Not performing the habits of feeding/taking him out etc etc and not seeing him in his usual spots. Even last night I still pulled the curtain back on our back door to check the top of our steps out of habit. He used to perch up there because it gave him a good view of our yard and the common ground beyond. I've found myself creeping through the living room when the lights are off at night thinking I'd run into him....that happened a lot him being black. Those type of things are the things that will slowly fade. But not his memory.

The one surprising thing that has come out if this is my wife told me she wants another dog!? Not anytime soon. We are trying to sell our home at the moment. She's not a big animal person and inherited Drake in essence, but she told me she never thought she'd say this....but she already missed howmDrake tied our family together and how a dog kind of completes our little family. And that once we found a new home and got settled she thinks we should get anger dog. The boys obviously want another one.....of whom they've already named 'Dave' for some reason....and I grew up with animals in our home....so I'm fine with that. But I was surprised to hear her mention that. It's just not going to happen anytime in the near future.

Thanks for the support Akasha. You and the other folks here have been great.

Oh, the boys and I are going to make Drake a nice headstone and dress up his gravesite a bit. It's something they mentioned they wanted to do. When we get the chance to do so I will post a pic.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2013, 06:02:03 PM »
Oh, the boys and I are going to make Drake a nice headstone and dress up his gravesite a bit. It's something they mentioned they wanted to do. When we get the chance to do so I will post a pic.

We finally had the chance to get back out to my Grandparents today. The kiddos wanted to see Drake's resting place and dress it up a bit. I think it turned out nice.

Me and the boys......

I was wanting to get a shot to show you all the 'view' across the field and accidentally caught the sweetest picture of Kyle looking down at Drake's grave

Just wanted to share this. Appreciate all the support!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2013, 06:13:45 PM »
 :tup :tup

Seems like everyone is moving on and coping well.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2013, 06:45:16 PM »
I hope that gives Kyle some closure. I was just thinking about you and YtseCullen yesterday.  :heart :heart :heart

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2013, 06:54:18 PM »
:tup :tup

Seems like everyone is moving on and coping well.

Time has helped us all....although I don't know if I'll ever get used to not having Drake around, at least while we're still living at this house.

I hope that gives Kyle some closure. I was just thinking about you and YtseCullen yesterday.  :heart :heart :heart

Yeah, Kyle is doing much better. He was a bit teary eyed again today when he first saw the grave site.....but my wife and I have been able to incorporate our Faith and 'heaven' into helping him through this. It helps him (and me) to trust we haven't seen the last of our Draker Boy.

It was sweet because Kyle told me I picked a great place for Drake to rest, that'd he'd like all that shade to stay cool.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2013, 08:40:36 PM »
Wow Gary! Awesome tribute, we will be taking Abby's ashes up to her favourite swimming pole soon!

I'm having a very tough time and have been quite depressed the past few weeks I hope that gives me some help and closure  :(

Offline Gravy

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2013, 09:24:04 PM »
This is my buddy Wrecks. He is only 4. I sometimes feel terrible when I scold him because I know someday he wont be here and I DREAD that day. I hope you remember all the good times and realize how much of a positive impact Abby had on you. RIP Abby

https://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/dietergardner/1013881_10151473665093093_1539398592_n_zpsb58f32a4.jpg

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2013, 09:31:29 PM »
This is my buddy Wrecks. He is only 4. I sometimes feel terrible when I scold him because I know someday he wont be here and I DREAD that day. I hope you remember all the good times and realize how much of a positive impact Abby had on you. RIP Abby

***snip***

Gravy, is Wrecks a Hound of some sort. He's got a hound face.

Also.....'Hi'. It's been a while. Hope you've been well.

Offline Gravy

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2013, 09:52:12 PM »
Absolutely. He hounds me for food. He hounds me for attention...well, u get it.

I believe Wrecks is part beagle and part dasch. He was found at a rest stop in the carolinas abandoned when he was less than a month old, fat and full  of worms. My friend who found him couldnt have pets because they are allergic so he posted him and I went and grabbed him immediately.

Here is the first pic I took of him.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
Oh wow... I've had a tough year losing two mentors and my step dad but I cried just the same reading over you guy's posts. Very sorry for the loss of Abby and Drake fellas.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2013, 01:52:43 AM »
So, I'm having the toughest night I've had I think since the night before my family put Abby down. I'm not entirely sure what triggered it but I just started crying and thinking of her and can't stop. Tonight hasn't been a hard night but I really have realized how much help she was in stressful situations. The way my life has been going lately I've been dealing with a lot of built up stress. It isn't much more than last year in terms of stuff that could make me stressed, but this year I feel much, much more stressed and I can't help but figure that it's because I don't have Abby to help through a lot of my stress. It's crazy to think how someone who will never say a word to you can have such a huge impact on your life. Dogs truly are humans best friend for reasons such as that.  Abby still continues to help teach me things in life even though she's not here any more.

Anyway, Missing you Abby, Rest In Peace  :heart

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2013, 05:43:47 AM »
Sorry to hear that bro... 

I remember when my dog died years ago.  I was about 11 or 12, but he was only two.  Somehow he had developed a brain tumor.  I remember getting off the school bus and my mother telling us (my brother and I).  I was trying not to cry and my mother saw that, but remember her saying to me, "It's okay to cry if you miss someone you love."  I still get choked up thinking about it.  If I remember later, I'll put up a photo of him. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2013, 07:12:13 AM »
It's strange when and how it hits you missing your dog. We just yesterday signed closing papers on our home of 8 years. On Monday, when my wife and I were having a 'final' walk through the years of memories just flooded my mind...it was emotional....and when I walked out on our back deck I stood there and looked out over our yard and couldn't help but 'see' Drake trotting around the perimeter of the fence making his daily rounds. Or look at the bare spot in the yard where the trampoline was and remember that I layed there with him until the wee hours of the morning the night before he left us.

I'm feeling for you man...I really am.

My oldest son Kyle still mentions Drake at least once a day....he brought this note home from school last week when they were asked to write a letter to a 'loved one'

For those of you not versed in beginner writing, It reads:

I love you Drake. I am so sorry that you died. We love you Draker's. Then he drew a picture of Our family with Drake.  :'(

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2013, 11:44:25 PM »
I missed this thread before-
And I wasn't really planning on bawling out of control this evening but after reading through this thread that's exactly what I did.

Losing a pet really is like losing a family member or a best friend- and it will hit you in waves just how much you miss them.  If there's one thing I can recommend, it's get another pet soon.  A new friend won't "replace" the one you lost, but it will definitely help you to fill that void in your heart and in your life. 

Hope you guys are both doing ok.   :(
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2014, 10:05:32 AM »

It's been a year Drake.....my 'good boy'....I've missed you greatly!!  I'll never have another buddy like you. Until we meet again.....Love ya!!!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2014, 10:30:39 AM »
Holy shit!  A year already?!?!?  Man...

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2014, 10:38:39 AM »
Holy shit!  A year already?!?!?  Man...

No kidding.....the years are starting to pile up quick....

...my oldest son mentions Drake at least once a week....I knew he loved that dog but man, he LOVED that dog. I guess having Drake in the first 7 years of his life everyday really impacted him more than I realize(d)..