Author Topic: I just lost my best friend.  (Read 5253 times)

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
I just lost my best friend.
« on: August 20, 2013, 03:50:13 PM »
So guys... I just lost my best friend... my dog Abby was put to sleep today. Abby was my first dog. She was a dog that taught me a lot. She taught me a lot about bonds that can form without ever speaking a word to each other, a bond so strong that we can know exactly when we need comfort from each other. She taught me about a bond that will never be broken, even when separated by something so horrible as death. Abby is my first dog, she won't be my last, but she will be the last dog that has this type of effect on me. I don't think any person or dog will bond with me in such a way as Abby did with me. I love my Abby, and as tragic as it is to see her precious life cut short it's comforting in the fact that she has been put out of all the pain and misery that has accompanied her in her last few months and weeks with us.

Thanks Abby for being the best dog anyone could ask for, and thank you everyone for reading this.

Rest in Peace baby girl..  :heart

May The Force Be With You.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: I just lost my best friend.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 03:57:09 PM »
So sorry.  My wife and I couldn't have children so our cats are our children and it hurts so much.  I heart goes out to you and your family.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 04:10:05 PM »
Damn dude, I'm so sorry.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 04:11:18 PM »
It will be happening to me within a year, and it saddens me to no end.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 04:21:05 PM »
It will be happening to me within a year, and it saddens me to no end.

I know the feeling man. It was in the back of my mind since my dog got injured. But it never really hit me until she got sick. I was happy that we had a chance to put her to sleep. I could cherish every last moment. I knew I said my last goodbyes instead of being surprised and hit harder with out knowing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 04:32:41 PM »
I'm so sorry, Mang. The little buggers get into your heart.

Best wishes
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »
 :-[
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 04:41:31 PM »
My guy 'Drake' will be joining Abby tomorrow. He's had a rough week and after yesterday in particular I've come to realize that it's for the best. My heart goes out to you because I've been a wreck all day in anticipation of tomorrow.

I hope you find the peace knowing she was loved and lived a good life....and that her memory will never die.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 04:47:25 PM »
Been following this on your Instagram.  :'(

Sorry dude.  :heart

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 04:51:42 PM »
Shit, gmillerdrake, that makes my heart hurt. I'll be thinking of you and Drake tomorrow.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 04:52:44 PM »
My guy 'Drake' will be joining Abby tomorrow. He's had a rough week and after yesterday in particular I've come to realize that it's for the best. My heart goes out to you because I've been a wreck all day in anticipation of tomorrow.

I hope you find the peace knowing she was loved and lived a good life....and that her memory will never die.

I worked most of yesterday and didn't know until I got home that my parents booked the appointment (I knew they were going to, it just wasn't official until that day) so luckily I wasn't too much of a wreck, but yeah this past little while was really tough. Good luck tomorrow man. I'll be thinking of you and Drake. I'm here if you need someone  :heart

Been following this on your Instagram.  :'(

Sorry dude.  :heart

Thanks bro :heart

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 04:54:09 PM »
I've had so many cats over the years ( i'm 34 ) that whenever they leave you or go missing - you just kinda get used to it after a while ???

Sorry if that sounds harsh but... It wasn't meant to be.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 05:27:35 PM »
Shit, gmillerdrake, that makes my heart hurt. I'll be thinking of you and Drake tomorrow.

. Good luck tomorrow man. I'll be thinking of you and Drake. I'm here if you need someone  :heart:

Appreciate it fellas. Drakes been having good and bad days for some time now. But the bad days are stacking up. Last night I let him inside and as he stood up he just fell over. It's happened before like that, falling over...down the stairs....up the stairs...his arthritis is just out of control. The. I awoke to some very painful sounding yelping and then heard him throwing up. He threw up a good 20 times throughout the night....fluorescent green...just nasty.

Anyway, I watched my parents let our Lab growing up 'go' a few years too long and he just deteriorated and was a shell of himself. I love Drake too much to have him in pain and not being able to walk up a friggin step...he's got too much dignity for that.

I arranged a Vet to meet me tomorrow at a park and he's going to put him down for me. I'm going to go down a few hours before we meet him at 1:00 and let Drake walk the creek one las time and rummage through the woods (as much as he can) and just soak up some outside time before he takes that next step in life.

My oldest son is very upset as am I, but this is the price we pay to get the joy of having a dog as a buddy. I apologize in advance....but I'm probably going to flood this thread or create my own with a bunch of pics of Drake tomorrow night.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 05:41:17 PM »
Dude no worries if you flood this thread tomorrow man. I'd love to let you have a place to let your words loose. I'm happy we can kinda go through our tough experiences together. Its good to know we're not alone in this and that we can both sympathize for each other with our raw feelings. So by all means use this thread as much as you want. and I'll be here listening and reading to help you as much as I can.

Sending good vibes your way man  :heart

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 08:16:10 PM »
I know your pain. I had to one of my dogs down this year and one 5 yrs ago. I do have a 17 yr old cat and just hate to think about losing her. We are so close. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Don't let anyone tell you it is stupid to cry about losing a dog either. There is those people out there.

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 08:19:59 PM »

. Good luck tomorrow man. I'll be thinking of you and Drake. I'm here if you need someone  :heart:

Appreciate it fellas. Drakes been having good and bad days for some time now. But the bad days are stacking up. Last night I let him inside and as he stood up he just fell over. It's happened before like that, falling over...down the stairs....up the stairs...his arthritis is just out of control. The. I awoke to some very painful sounding yelping and then heard him throwing up. He threw up a good 20 times throughout the night....fluorescent green...just nasty.

Anyway, I watched my parents let our Lab growing up 'go' a few years too long and he just deteriorated and was a shell of himself. I love Drake too much to have him in pain and not being able to walk up a friggin step...he's got too much dignity for that.

I arranged a Vet to meet me tomorrow at a park and he's going to put him down for me. I'm going to go down a few hours before we meet him at 1:00 and let Drake walk the creek one las time and rummage through the woods (as much as he can) and just soak up some outside time before he takes that next step in life.

My oldest son is very upset as am I, but this is the price we pay to get the joy of having a dog as a buddy. I apologize in advance....but I'm probably going to flood this thread or create my own with a bunch of pics of Drake tomorrow night.

You will also be in my thoughts and prayers.  :heart

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 08:41:59 PM »
Thanks Akasha.

It's odd....but I feel like he knows how hard a time I'm having with this decision to put him down. I'll probably always wonder if it was the right time, I'm sure it is but it's just I'm allowing doubt to start to chisel away at the obvious truth.

Every drink of water he takes won't stay down for longer than a minute. He has this 'look' about him. A 'thirty mile stare' so to speak. He was in the same spot I left him this morning leaving for work when I returned home....and his only movement was to go outside and lay under the boys trampoline. I was just out there trying to coax him in and he just gives me this weak stare, rolls over and gently is wagging his tail.

If I didn't know any better I'd say he knows what's going on.....and I honestly think he's trying to make this easier on me by appearing so weak and helpless......to help justify the decision.

I appreciate the thoughts and prayers....but please include my 7 year old as well in those. He's had a hard time tonight...we've cried a lot together and he has a lot of questions. He just looked at my wife and I forty minutes ago through his tear filled..puffy eyes and said "I just don't understand this?" It was heartbreaking. He went over to Drake and was hugging/petting him....just talking to him through his sobs, I'm telling you it was killing me to watch and listen. But I encouraged him to do that...I don't know if it was the right thing to do but I didn't want him not to have the chance to say goodbye.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 08:45:02 PM »
Sorry to hear about Abby dude, your story was touching. I'm also sorry to hear about Drake... I want to stay away from this thread now, it's depressing me  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 10:26:06 PM »
Brett/Gary... my heart is breaking right now for both you and your family's.  I've had to put one animal down, and even after only having him for 1.5 years (this was over 10 years ago), mrs.jingle and I were a mess.  When the time comes for either our cat (whom we've had since before we were married), or our two dogs, the entire jingle household is gonna be a wreck.

I'm so sorry for both of you. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 12:05:33 AM »
Sorry to hear it man (for both). It sucks having to put an animal down.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 12:23:39 AM »
I'm sorry for what you guys are going through.  It's really tough to lose cherished pets; some people don't get it but they truly are members of the family. 

I had a double whammy of this sadness last month.  A cat that I'd had for 18 years passed on the 14th, and then a dog that I'd had for 13 years on the 16th.  I know just how you feel, and my thoughts are with you guys.  :'(

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 01:13:36 AM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Means a lot!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 01:56:51 AM »
I'm so sorry for Abby and Drake :'( hang in there, dudes.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 02:14:22 AM »
I'm so sorry for Abby and Drake :'( hang in there, dudes.

Thanks Milena  :heart

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 05:08:43 AM »
I've experienced the loss of a pet as well, so I know how sad it is :(

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 06:18:56 AM »
It's odd....but I feel like he knows how hard a time I'm having with this decision to put him down.

He probably does.

If I didn't know any better I'd say he knows what's going on.....and I honestly think he's trying to make this easier on me by appearing so weak and helpless......to help justify the decision.

Don't kid yourself, animals are incredibly smart and intuitive.  He knows.  And whether he's truly that weak, or appearing so to help you with your decision, he's sending a message that now is the time.

:brohug:  It's gonna be a tough day for the Millers
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 06:27:01 AM »
I just popped in because I'm thinking of Drake and wondering how gmillerdrake and his family are getting on. Be strong man and feel free to share if it will help. Like the thread author said, flood the thread with picks. It would be nice to see the Drakemeister. Best wishes.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 10:48:03 AM »
I know how you guys feel; I've had a lot of dogs in my life, and right now my beagle has been having difficulties-we had a malignant tumor removed from his back just before Memorial Day, and the vet said it was the sort that was likely to crop up again, so it's always in the back of my mind that he may not have long left. Making the decision to have a pet put to sleep is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Total sympathy here.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 10:51:34 AM »
Just here to tell you me and my furry babies are thinking of all you today. RIP Abby and Drake.  :heart

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 12:04:19 PM »
Another animal lover here, checking in to show some love for you guys.  Hope you're doing OK.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 12:16:50 PM »
Sorry for the loss and the pain.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2013, 01:01:57 PM »
It might sound like I'm pimping this book since I mention it any time I talk about dogs, but you should read A Dog's Purpose.  It should be required reading for any dog lover.  Just a beautiful, sweet work of fiction, told from the dog's perspective.  It will forever change the way you look at dogs.

As someone who has had to put down several dogs through the years, it is always tough.  I wish you the best.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2013, 01:53:21 PM »
So I just got sent home from work. My boss could tell I was having a hard time. Thinking of you today Gary! Good luck man!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2013, 06:05:47 PM »
Well....that was officially the most difficult day of my life. I lost my 'first' son.....the only constant in my life for the past 12 (near 13) years. I don't have a tear left in me and am just exhausted.

Drake refused to come inside last night....just stayed laying under the boys trampoline in the back yard. After my third or fourth attempt failed to get him to come in I decided to lay with him. His breathing was odd and he looked 'dazed'. I thought maybe he was going to pass. I layed there with him until 1:30 am or so, it was a bright moonlit night and we just hung out and talked. I just let him know over and over how much I loved him and what a great dog he was. I eventually came in and went to bed.

I awoke and he was still alive and under the trampoline. As I got the boys ready for school my oldest and I went out to him and was petting/hugging him and Kyle says to Drake 'just come inside boy'. Drake slowly lifted his body and started to walk and that is when you could really see his back legs were very wobbly....and his walk was crooked. After he was inside (around 7:45) he sat in there for a moment but immediately wanted to go back out. I let him out and he just posted up on the deck.

As we were leaving for school my middle son said that he wanted to say bye to Drake. He went out alone, shut the door....and I watched as he had a good three or four minute conversation with Drake. He came in and I said 'Everything OK?' to which Ethan replied 'Yeah, I just told him that he'd be fine because he was going to get to see God and live in Heaven and be an Angles dog now'. I said OK.

Once I returned from dropping them off I pretty much just spent the morning laying next to Drake and petting/talking to him. I had convinced him to come back inside at that point. Around 10:45 I was able to get him out to my car and we headed down to the park. When I opened the door, I suppose the smell of all the other doggy territory markings and what not perked his interest...because he had a little pep in his step. Not bounding by any means...still had a crooked slow walk but he was energized a bit.

We walked the path and I could notice that when he peed his urine was very dark. Almost cola looking. I got him to the creek and he went in the water but he really just layed in it. Kind of soaking it up I guess. I tell you every two minutes I was in tears thinking abut how this would be our last walk together...how in an hour he'd be gone....it was tough.

We finished the trail around noon and I walked him back to the entrance and we walked out into a beautiful field sprinkled with some nice giant shade Oaks. Drake kind of plopped under one while I was looking for the 'perfect' spot....so I agreed with him that the spot he picked was perfect.

We sat there then....his head on my lap and I just thanked him for being such a wonderful dog. I thanked him for not becoming mean or disgruntled when first Kelly started to steal his time from me and then our kids. I thanked him for being so patient and tender with my boys....allowing them to do virtually anything they wanted to him without even a sneer or growl. I told him I wished that I had been a better doggy daddy but that he is and will always be my first son....and that I'd never forget him.

I shed many tears over the past two days....the majority of them in that hour we sat there. It was at times so beautiful with the nice breeze and sounds of nature. Us two, just sitting there loving each other. I've never been so terrified...sad...content...and heartbroken all at once.

I think I stroked his fur from head to tail 1000 times that hour...it was so slicked back and smooth. The Vet arrived just after 1:00...and as he and his Tech walked up Drake stood up and walked to him and the Vet immediately told me that he definitely had some joint and hip issues. I tried to explain the pee to him and around that time Drake peed....allowing the Vet to see it and he confirmed for me that he either had a severe Kidney or Liver issue due to the amount of blood that was in his urine.

I sat down with Drake...he layed his head on my lap and the Vet told me that when he gives him the shot...it's ten seconds and his eyes are closed...another twenty and his heart will stop. Drake 'knew' something was up...he kind of gave me a look and I just kept his head in my hands and told him 'that he was my good boy...yes him is' over and over and over....the drug started to set in, he relaxed and well....that was that, his Spirit had drifted away in that cool soothing breeze.

The Vet gave me some time with him....I'm sure those tears I shed weighed 100  lbs each. I had myself a good, old fashioned deep cry that medicated me like none other. The Vet came back and helped me move Drake to my car. I had bought a nice white blanket to wrap him in. I thanked the Vet for coming outdoors and meeting me...then began my 45 minute trip out to my Granparents to bury him on their property.

My Grandpa helped me dig a nice and deep hole and we placed Drake in there to which I burst into tears again. I'm telling you...this has hit me like a ton of bricks. Although Drake was wrapped up I knew I had his head so I just patted him a few more times and positioned him in a position that looked like a good eternal rest.

When I got home earlier....no one was here and I made it up to my room before I had one more real good, soul cleansing cry. Just the utter realization that my boy is no longer here is brutally jabbing me. Even as I've typed this I've had a couple moments and I suspect tonight when I lay my head down I'm in for a couple more.

Man I loved that dog. So well behaved and sweet. I'm going to miss him but I know the score. This is life.

I have various pics of Drake thought the years, but I found some 'old school' pics that I had to take pics of to transfer that I'd like to share. Drake would have been 2 in these pics..

Me and Drake in the 'beginning'

What I called 'The Scorpion'. He'd assume this position right before we wrestled.

By the way, Drake played Bass...

You know you want some....

The next couple are of him playing outside....

He loved this tug toy...

Just a Great looking Dog!!

Whuts you lookin at fool?

And....these are from today. I couldn't decide whether it'd be right to even take any today or share them...but it's his life

Just enjoying the peace of a nice afternoon...

And finally.....Gary and Drake after spending 12 of the greatest years of MY life together!!!

I apologize for the extremely long post.....but you have no idea how therapeutic this was. THANK YOU to Everyone who has mentioned kind words to both of us fellas in this thread who are struggling big time right now. I really appreciate it!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 06:16:13 PM »
Dude... no need to apologize at all.  Great post.  I'm sittin here bawling myself just reading and thinking about the day you had.  It's very easy to see that he was an awesome dog.  Beyond awesome.  That last pic... wow.  He looks both thankful to you for the 12 years, and "ready".

When it's time for any of my animals, I'm gonna need to be medicated.

:hug:   :'( :'( :'(