Author Topic: Al Jazeera  (Read 808 times)

Offline soundgarden

Al Jazeera
« on: August 19, 2013, 08:58:37 AM »
I've long been a convert to Al Jazeera English.  Its coverage of world news, its documentaries, its interviews are all what I loved from my youth.  Just the other day after getting an update on world news they had a program on about an Israeli Jewish man who visited Turkey to discover Sufi Islam and its teachings.  It was fascinating, and me and my girlfriend were so relieved to be able to get this on American television.

Their current coverage of the Egyptian crisis is top notch.

Now Al Jazeera America will be coming soon.  I am curious how this new news outlet will affect the culture here; as well as to see how the likes of Fox News will react to the fact is an Arab agency.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/19/business/media/al-jazeera-america-promises-a-more-sober-look-at-the-news.html?hp

thoughts?  Any watchers? 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Al Jazeera
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 09:57:58 AM »
I look forward to the new network.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:14:47 AM »
If in fact they make true on the promise of a more "just facts" News station, I very much welcome that.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 03:37:13 PM »
Much hotter anchor-chicks than the US networks.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 06:40:18 PM »
I hope it really lives up to all the hype. Almost sounds a bit too good, but I'll reserve judgment for after I have actually seen it.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 11:49:41 PM »
The youtube channel uploads tons of videos so I watch those. I love how they cover the corners of the world where other stations don't seem to give a shit about. They aren't without their bias though. As much as they've covered the Arab spring they pretty much ignored the uprising in Bahrain and other places.

Just the other day after getting an update on world news they had a program on about an Israeli Jewish man who visited Turkey to discover Sufi Islam and its teachings.

This sounds pretty cool. Do you have a link for this?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 10:17:15 AM »
Al Jazeera is pretty fair and just on any topic that doesn't directly effect Qatar's own politics and interests. Qatar had a strong interest in the Brotherhood ruling Egypt and a lot of investment deals with them so they were strongly biased to them for the year they had power in Egypt and now Al Jazeera is falsifying a lot of the events that's been going on in Egypt and only telling the news from the "victimized" brotherhood side. We've been trying to export a clearer image of what's happening in Egypt right now to the world but no Egyptian news agency is as organized, established and professional as Al Jazeera.
Some people think the timing of the Al Jazeera America launch is set to fight the Egyptian transitional government and further distort the fight against the Brotherhood as a fascist act.
I have little time here these days which sucks but it's because of the time spent on the Egyptian articles and debates with the current events and all and this Al Jazeera issue has been coming up a lot recently.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 07:49:53 AM »
The majority of news I watch on  comes from Al Jazeera. I'm constantly streaming it online. I'm very pleased it will be on TV now.

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 08:00:54 AM »
It's already on TV right? I think I made a thread when it started airing in the US.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 02:00:32 PM »
Al Jazeera paid twitter to promote the #AlJazeeraAmerica hastag worldwide for most of today.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 10:45:19 AM »
Does anyone know where I can find the channel it is on, if it is on. I skimmed an article in the NYT that said that it wasn't airing because of an issue with AT&T.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 10:47:03 AM »
Ignore me. I got it! Cool...

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 11:01:24 AM »