Author Topic: New Job Input  (Read 482 times)

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
New Job Input
« on: August 16, 2013, 12:12:14 AM »
So I'm looking at taking a new job.  I currently work tech support for a rather large tech company in their retail stores.  It's a good gig that pays well, but the retail environment is rather draining.  I have the opportunity to switch to an at-home position working over the phone tech support for the same company, but at a dollar less an hour.  The pros would be that I don't have to commute, as well as I wouldn't have to deal with ambiguous retail hours, unruly customers, and some co-workers that I think never left the high school mentality.  On the other hand, it's a step down in pay, and it's at-home, which means that it'll be a bit harder to troubleshoot.

Thoughts?
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: New Job Input
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 12:58:09 AM »
First off, how much coin are you saving on not commuting? And second, is the peace of mind that is acquired by being at home worth the cut in pay?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 07:29:24 AM »
I would actually think the other way around. Over-the-phone at-home job sounds like the first job that gets cut when the going gets tough.
Also, there's something to be said for being in contact with people. I know several people who worked at-home stints, and they all said it wears off really quickly.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 07:20:14 PM »
As far as the money is concerned, you'll probably actually save money by staying home. It costs probably 40-50 cents a mile to drive if you're driving to work (gas + wear and tear on your vehicle) plus you're less likely to eat out if that was an option before. I personally would miss the human contact and couldn't do it for that reason.