Author Topic: King Crimson Appreciation Thread  (Read 96100 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: King Crimson Appreciation Thread
« Reply #805 on: February 10, 2022, 07:16:25 PM »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #806 on: February 10, 2022, 08:12:45 PM »
Crap.  :(

Offline HOF

« Reply #807 on: February 10, 2022, 08:20:26 PM »
Ian McDonald RIP  :sad: :sad:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/ian-mcdonald-king-crimson-foreigner-dead/

That’s sad. The debut is not my favorite thing by KC, but tracks like Epitaph and I Talk To The Wind are great and have McDonald all over them.

Online Mladen

« Reply #808 on: February 11, 2022, 01:32:45 AM »
Better spin The Court today...

Offline HOF

« Reply #809 on: February 11, 2022, 09:15:19 AM »
Ian McDonald RIP  :sad: :sad:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/ian-mcdonald-king-crimson-foreigner-dead/

That’s sad. The debut is not my favorite thing by KC, but tracks like Epitaph and I Talk To The Wind are great and have McDonald all over them.

Oh, I didn't realize that McDonald played alto sax on Starless, my favorite KC song. Always assumed it was just Mel Collins on that one.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #810 on: September 28, 2022, 03:54:01 PM »
bump.

The Documentary having special Screening at Select Theaters (OCTOBER 19TH) and a 1-Day Event to Stream (OCTOBER 22ND)

https://www.itcotck.com/

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #811 on: October 09, 2022, 01:45:57 AM »
Burning Shed has listed two versions of the recent KC Documentary - a standard 1BD/1DVD set, and an 8-disc (2BD/2DVD/4CD) special edition.

Of course I ordered the 8-disc set, especially with all the bonus video footage on the 2nd video disc!

The sets release on December 2nd.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #814 on: May 30, 2023, 11:54:42 AM »
Necro-post!

I loved the Adrian Belew shout-out in Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3.  "Both solo and his work with King Crimson" (possibly paraphrased but pretty close).  Totally unexpected but a welcome surprise.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #815 on: May 30, 2023, 12:41:58 PM »
Necro-post!

I loved the Adrian Belew shout-out in Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3.  "Both solo and his work with King Crimson" (possibly paraphrased but pretty close).  Totally unexpected but a welcome surprise.

I genuinely laughed out loud in my theater when that line came up. I was amazed, but given James Gunn's love of music, the Belew shout-out was undoubtedly his idea, and now I wonder if 80s King Crimson is Gunn's favorite era. Would have loved to have heard an 80s KC song somewhere in the sound track though!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #816 on: May 30, 2023, 01:50:36 PM »
Yeah, I scared my wife a bit when I shouted "Yes!" at that line.  I'll laugh and yell along with the audience at a movie, since that's part of the shared experience, but it was a quiet moment in the film and the theater was silent except for me yelling.  Oops.  But no shame.

And you're right; it was certainly James Gunn's will that that line was in there, so why no 80's Crimson in the soundtrack?  The only thing I can think of is that he didn't think it would "fit".  The Guardians soundtracks have been by and large well-known songs by mostly well-known bands, with only a few exceptions.  He might've tried to sneak "Sleepless" in there somewhere, but even that would've been tricky.  I took the shout-out as his way of saying "And I also love this guy and this one other band, but I couldn't work them into the soundtrack."

Offline HOF

« Reply #817 on: May 30, 2023, 02:06:02 PM »
Yeah, I scared my wife a bit when I shouted "Yes!" at that line.  I'll laugh and yell along with the audience at a movie, since that's part of the shared experience, but it was a quiet moment in the film and the theater was silent except for me yelling.  Oops.  But no shame.

And you're right; it was certainly James Gunn's will that that line was in there, so why no 80's Crimson in the soundtrack?  The only thing I can think of is that he didn't think it would "fit".  The Guardians soundtracks have been by and large well-known songs by mostly well-known bands, with only a few exceptions.  He might've tried to sneak "Sleepless" in there somewhere, but even that would've been tricky.  I took the shout-out as his way of saying "And I also love this guy and this one other band, but I couldn't work them into the soundtrack."

I imagine nobody thought it would be very commercially helpful to include a KC song on the soundtrack, but I also wonder if Fripp is against licensing his music for that sort of thing (though he seems to have chilled out a lot in recent years).

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #818 on: May 30, 2023, 02:13:19 PM »
Ooh, that's another consideration.  Maybe James should've asked Toyah instead.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #819 on: May 30, 2023, 02:58:19 PM »

I imagine nobody thought it would be very commercially helpful to include a KC song on the soundtrack, but I also wonder if Fripp is against licensing his music for that sort of thing (though he seems to have chilled out a lot in recent years).

Huge Crimson fan, no doubt, and Robert Fripp is my Number Two for most deserving of being in the RnRHoF; he single-handedly developed an entire genre, for Pete's sake.  LOVE me some Crimson... but they don't belong anywhere near the soundtrack for Guardians of the Galaxy.  The whole point was to reference the culture of earth in the '60s and '70s.  From Wikipedia, Gunn:  "It's striking the balance throughout the whole movie, through something that is very unique, but also something that is easily accessible to people at the same time. The music and the Earth stuff is one of those touchstones that we have to remind us that, yeah, Quill is a real person from planet Earth who's just like you and me."   

All the songs were taken from Billboard charts, and "semi-familiar—ones you recognize but might not be able to name off the top of your head".

MAYBE Schizoid Man fits this, loosely, but I can't image that's the song you'd pick if you want to evoke a wistful feeling about the culture of Earth in the '60s and '70s. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #820 on: May 30, 2023, 05:29:00 PM »
Ah, it is as I figured; no King Crimson songs really fit the concept.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #821 on: June 18, 2023, 06:38:16 PM »
I think the reason I love Buffalo '66 so much IS the music in it. Just totally cool.

Offline HOF

« Reply #822 on: August 04, 2023, 09:42:01 PM »
Kind of cool that Bill Bruford came out of retirement to play during the John Wetton tribute concert the other night.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/bill-bruford-surprises-fans-with-live-performance-at-john-wetton-tribute-show

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #823 on: August 05, 2023, 04:10:13 PM »
Kind of cool that Bill Bruford came out of retirement to play during the John Wetton tribute concert the other night.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/bill-bruford-surprises-fans-with-live-performance-at-john-wetton-tribute-show

Wife told me about this earlier today. Very diverse lineup. Not sure why I didn't know about this.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: August 06, 2023, 01:11:40 PM »

Wife told me about this earlier today. Very diverse lineup. Not sure why I didn't know about this.

I didn't know about this either; but I have been binging an Asia live bootleg boxset over the past week.  I miss John.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #825 on: August 19, 2023, 08:11:32 PM »
Not really Crimson, but related. Randomly put on the UKZ live album from 10 or 15 ago  with John, Eddie Jobson and Marco Mionnemann and I forgot how good that album is. Of course the UK stuff is great, but there's a really nice version of Starless on there.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #826 on: August 19, 2023, 10:10:20 PM »
I've seen some live video of UKZ, and yeah, they're pretty great.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #827 on: August 21, 2023, 03:22:56 PM »
caught the king crimson at 50 documentary recently, anyone else check it out? thought it was pretty good, all things considered. i think i preferred the zappa doc from 2021 but ah well
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #828 on: August 21, 2023, 03:50:05 PM »
I didn't love the KC documentary. It spent way too much time on the latest incarnation of the band, and completely overlooked some past eras of the band.

I thought the Zappa doc was great. But I'm not much of a Zappa guy, so I don't know how comprehensive that was.

Offline HOF

« Reply #829 on: December 31, 2023, 08:29:22 PM »
Dave Matthews on how Robert Fripp/King Crimson influenced his guitar playing:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b3PS82VnHvw

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: January 02, 2024, 06:32:50 AM »

Wait, WHAT? :) :) :) :) :)

Offline HOF

« Reply #831 on: January 02, 2024, 07:51:16 AM »

I always imagined Dave was a closet prog head. I’ve never heard him talk about it before, but I always thought he might have been influenced by Peter Gabriel vocally as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #832 on: January 02, 2024, 11:19:51 AM »

I always imagined Dave was a closet prog head. I’ve never heard him talk about it before, but I always thought he might have been influenced by Peter Gabriel vocally as well.

THAT I understand.  And even the prog, I sort of get.  But I don't hear much Fripp or Crimson in his playing.

Offline HOF

« Reply #833 on: January 02, 2024, 12:04:11 PM »

THAT I understand.  And even the prog, I sort of get.  But I don't hear much Fripp or Crimson in his playing.

I can see where some of those repeating figures he demonstrated came from Fripp. “The Stone” is another that has kind of that repeating Crimsonesque figure at the beginning.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EnNyUdMfGe8
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 01:42:49 PM by HOF »

Offline HOF

« Reply #834 on: January 02, 2024, 04:31:42 PM »
Off topic here, but while we're on the subject of 90s rockers who were closet prog fans, I just stumbled on this from Goo Goo Dolls' John Rzeznick:

I loved Genesis and I loved Peter Gabriel too. I loved them up through Duke. I loved that record. It is so emotionally satisfying for me to listen to that album. But at Abacab I just went: “Ah, I’m done!” They were so amazing up until then.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/john-rzeznik-soundtrack-of-my-life

He also mentions Yes and Roxy Music.

Offline HOF

« Reply #835 on: January 07, 2024, 10:35:24 PM »
Posted a couple of this guys' videos in the Rush thread, but he also has this really great one breaking down the song "Discipline."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Url45xNNWLs

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: January 24, 2024, 02:06:20 PM »
I don't know if this is the right place (or the Yes thread) but I've been listening to the Asia In Asia box set I got.  It's got the satellite broadcast as originally aired, it's got a remixed version of the video from the broadcast (with the full set; at least three songs were cut from the broadcast), a CD of the full set remix, and a CD of the full run dry run the night before. 

This is the live show from the Budokan in Tokyo with Greg Lake subbing in for John Wetton.  Holy shit is it way better than I had remembered.  Greg Lake's voice is just velvet. Steve Howe is on fire.  Yeah, Geoff Downes looks kind of douchey running back and forth behind Carl Palmer with 2,943 keyboards, of which I think he uses four, but it's such a good, well-played show.   Greg Lake is the star though; the liner notes make clear the band had just gotten off the last leg of their Alpha tour, and were tight, but he had to jump in to replace the MIA John Wetton (fired/quit) but he plays and sings flawlessly.   I'm always impressed by that level of professionalism and competency.  I think Asia was about Wetton's writing, but it would have been interesting to see what it looked like with Lake (accounts differ as to why it didn't continue with Lake). 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #837 on: January 24, 2024, 02:08:06 PM »
I don't know if this is the right place (or the Yes thread) but I've been listening to the Asia In Asia box set I got.  It's got the satellite broadcast as originally aired, it's got a remixed version of the video from the broadcast (with the full set; at least three songs were cut from the broadcast), a CD of the full set remix, and a CD of the full run dry run the night before. 

This is the live show from the Budokan in Tokyo with Greg Lake subbing in for John Wetton.  Holy shit is it way better than I had remembered.  Greg Lake's voice is just velvet. Steve Howe is on fire.  Yeah, Geoff Downes looks kind of douchey running back and forth behind Carl Palmer with 2,943 keyboards, of which I think he uses four, but it's such a good, well-played show.   Greg Lake is the star though; the liner notes make clear the band had just gotten off the last leg of their Alpha tour, and were tight, but he had to jump in to replace the MIA John Wetton (fired/quit) but he plays and sings flawlessly.   I'm always impressed by that level of professionalism and competency.  I think Asia was about Wetton's writing, but it would have been interesting to see what it looked like with Lake (accounts differ as to why it didn't continue with Lake).

I feel like I knew Lake subbed in for Asia at some point but I didn't realize there was recordings available. So they were half-Yes and two-thirds ELP at one point? Could've called themselves YELP.  :lol

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #838 on: January 24, 2024, 03:11:08 PM »

I feel like I knew Lake subbed in for Asia at some point but I didn't realize there was recordings available. So they were half-Yes and two-thirds ELP at one point? Could've called themselves YELP.  :lol

-Marc.

:rollin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: January 24, 2024, 03:41:27 PM »

-Marc.

HAHA. 

My review?  Greg Lake's voice is like velvet.  Did I say that already? 

(Oh, and Steve Howe has to retire the lame "Wildest Dreams" intro; "Thank you Tokyo! This is amazing. It's really beyond our wildest dreams!" Bah! Ba-na-na-NA-NA! Bah! Ba-na-na-NA-NA!)