Author Topic: King Crimson Appreciation Thread  (Read 100611 times)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Re: King Crimson Appreciation Thread
« Reply #315 on: March 17, 2012, 06:38:12 PM »
One listen is never enough to figure how you feel about an album.

I could add comments on the albums, but they're surely further back in the thread already.

I do have to come back to this band at some point and get the remasters. I honestly think half the reason this band is(was) so hard for most non-prog hardcores to get into is(was) the production of most of their albums.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #316 on: March 18, 2012, 04:03:35 AM »
I never thought someone could form an opinion about an album after listening to it only once. Especially when it comes to progressive rock, it's music filled with so many layers that unveil themselves with repeated listenings. Some albums just take time, some albums just grow on you even though you might have been bored the first time you heard it. I think I had to listen to each King Crimson album for at least five times before I came to conclusions as to what I think about it.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #317 on: March 18, 2012, 04:26:57 AM »
I had to struggle (rather intensely) just to make it through the first song on Red when I first heard it.  It took me some time to even get around to sitting through the whole record.  Nowadays, though, it's one of my favorite jams, full-stop.  Had you told me some months back that I'd be enjoying Red so much, I'd of laughed in your face.   :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #318 on: March 18, 2012, 04:50:27 AM »
I completely agree with both of you ^^^^^

For me King Crimson was one of the most difficult bands to ever get into, since the music was so intricate and band membership was so diversified.

When I first listened to them I was completely baffled and alienated by the music, but as time went by I began to acquire a taste in it, and now KC is one of my favorite bands.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: March 18, 2012, 10:44:45 AM »
KC really seemed to become a study in sonorities that get under the skin. however, by the time the '80s rolled around, they seemed more 'considerate' of a pop audience, and basically stayed that way (making them better, imo).

with that said,
DAT CODA OF "ONE MORE RED NIGHTMARE"

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #320 on: March 18, 2012, 05:08:07 PM »
I completely agree with both of you ^^^^^

For me King Crimson was one of the most difficult bands to ever get into, since the music was so intricate and band membership was so diversified.

When I first listened to them I was completely baffled and alienated by the music, but as time went by I began to acquire a taste in it, and now KC is one of my favorite bands.
I agree.

KC is a hard band to get into, one that took time for me, lots of listens (their my number 4 on last.fm), but it was very rewarding.  KC is dark and rarely cheesy unlike the other 70's prog bands and they can be really, really heavy.

I think it's awesome you did what you did H, but give KC some more time.  If you enjoy GFD (and PT) as much as you do, then 70's Krimson should be a shoe-in.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #321 on: March 18, 2012, 05:20:52 PM »
I could see myself liking early KC, I guess. Probably up til Starless and Bible Black. And then honestly, I think other bands do the modern-KC sound a whole lot better than KC.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #322 on: March 18, 2012, 11:29:40 PM »
I never thought there was a King Crimson sound.  But that's the beauty of it. Pure bliss. Especially live.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #323 on: March 18, 2012, 11:31:14 PM »
I never thought there was a King Crimson sound.
honky saxophones /thread
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #324 on: March 18, 2012, 11:33:50 PM »
A honking portion of their discography doesn't feature reed instruments. 

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #325 on: March 22, 2012, 09:36:31 PM »
All right, as stated in the haul thread, I bought ITWOP, Lizard and Red today. Currently on Poseidon. This is more to my liking. The title track is beautiful. Of course, having a singer I'm really familiar with (big ELP fan here) is really helping. :)
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #326 on: March 22, 2012, 09:39:18 PM »
Yeah, Greg Lake had an amazing voice for a long, long time.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #327 on: March 23, 2012, 12:24:40 AM »
Greg Lake was the best vocalist Crimson ever had.

His contributions were amazing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #328 on: March 23, 2012, 04:39:37 AM »
All right, as stated in the haul thread, I bought ITWOP, Lizard and Red today. Currently on Poseidon. This is more to my liking. The title track is beautiful. Of course, having a singer I'm really familiar with (big ELP fan here) is really helping. :)

Poseidon is hot.  And actually I think I may like it a little better then ITCOTKC.

And Hot damn do I love the title track, its so powerful.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:56:45 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #329 on: March 23, 2012, 01:36:10 PM »
Yeah, Greg Lake had an amazing voice for a long, long time.

It is criminal that his name rarely comes up when people discuss the best rock vocalists ever.  He is definitely up there.  But I think that since most associate him with ELP, and ELP is so over the top with their musicianship, that Lake simply gets overlooked.  But in his heyday, his voice was magnificent.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #330 on: March 23, 2012, 02:17:05 PM »
ELP was absolutely over-the-top with their musicianship and playing (related but not quite the same thing) and that's part of what I loved about them.  All three of them were fantastic at what they did.

When he was younger, Lake's voice was pure and sweet and crystal clear.  Early King Crimson and ELP benefitted from it.  But listen to him on Welcome Back, My Friends.. and all the way through Works with ELP.  He matured into a monster baritone who could still get up into the tenor range.  "Pirates" blows me away.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #331 on: March 23, 2012, 03:43:51 PM »
Not nearly as big a fan of Greg Lake as you guys.

Maybe I'm being picky (Wouldn't be the first time and it's probably not the last), but he lacked a little in the range department. He certainly knew his comfort zone though.

Probably more of a fan of his from the Emerson, Lake, and Palmer days than King Crimson.

Much more of a Wetton and Belew fan --- and the fact that the he had already joined ELP the first time I ever heard his voice may have something to do with it.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: March 23, 2012, 09:17:46 PM »
perhaps because my introduction to KC was with Belew, i've never found Lake particularly suited to the craziness of the older KC records.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: March 23, 2012, 09:47:53 PM »
I've always thought of Belew as too crazy. :lol
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #334 on: March 24, 2012, 12:23:59 AM »
ELP was absolutely over-the-top with their musicianship and playing (related but not quite the same thing) and that's part of what I loved about them.  All three of them were fantastic at what they did.

When he was younger, Lake's voice was pure and sweet and crystal clear.  Early King Crimson and ELP benefitted from it.  But listen to him on Welcome Back, My Friends.. and all the way through Works with ELP.  He matured into a monster baritone who could still get up into the tenor range.  "Pirates" blows me away.

I adored Pirates for the longest time.  So much that even though I do not listen to it much anymore, I could probably still sing along word for word, and that song has a lot of lyrics.  Great tune.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #335 on: March 24, 2012, 03:27:48 AM »
Of all the KC albums, I never thought the vocals stood out as anything special. Maybe on THRAK, where they were kind of distorted. That was cool. But other than that, the vocals were just *there*.

Offline poespas

• Zombie Bitch
« Reply #336 on: March 24, 2012, 07:00:44 AM »
I just realized again that  Prelude:Song Of The Gulls is one of the best King Crimson tracks. And combined with Islands,it makes one of the best musical experiences of the 70s

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #337 on: March 24, 2012, 07:28:29 PM »
Finished Lizard. Wasn't for me.

And Red. I don't know what it is, but I swear I have heard this album before and I can't recall where. Were any of these songs ever regular on classic radio stations or something. Because as far as I know, I hadn't listend t anything KC until a few months back, but I know these songs from somewhere.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #338 on: March 24, 2012, 07:42:23 PM »
Oh man, when I heard Jon Anderson on Lizard's title track for the first time, it brought such a smile to my face. Such a pleasant surprise.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #339 on: March 24, 2012, 07:58:27 PM »
Oh man, when I heard Jon Anderson on Lizard's title track for the first time, it brought such a smile to my face. Such a pleasant surprise.

Wait, that was really him? I was so confused listening to that. I convinced myself I was crazy. XD

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #340 on: March 25, 2012, 05:26:42 AM »
That's definitely Jon Anderson, (former) lead vocalist from Yes, making a guest appearance on Lizard.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #341 on: March 25, 2012, 11:46:04 AM »
Yup. He does a fine job too.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: May 05, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
JR posted this video on his Twitter. He plays Starless on the Geo Synthesizer  :tup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nb9XDq8nQps
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #343 on: May 05, 2012, 12:49:09 PM »
JR posted this video on his Twitter. He plays Starless on the Geo Synthesizer  :tup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nb9XDq8nQps

Totally forgot how much I love starless.  :heart

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #344 on: May 05, 2012, 01:31:04 PM »
One of my favorite KC tunes.  It was a cool rendition, and obviously Jordan is quite gifted, but I've always thought that I'd enjoy his playing a lot more if he toned it down maybe 20%.  Everything he does, every single note, is just so over-the-top.  Flashy is fine; hell, I grew up with Emerson and Wakeman, but they at least knew how to embellish through contrast.  Jordan never seems able to switch it off.  I can't think of anything he's done that isn't ridiculously over-the-top.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #345 on: May 05, 2012, 01:36:22 PM »
I love "Starless", and while this is good, as far as covers go, I'll take the Morse/Portnoy/George version! Jordan does a good job here, though, and I like all his new gadgets!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #346 on: May 05, 2012, 01:41:18 PM »
The gadgets are awesome and clever.  He can play a freakin' iPod likes it's a synth.  Actually, it is a synth.  The Continuum, the MorphWiz, all that shit is great.  I'd love to hear him play them sometime and show some restraint.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #347 on: May 05, 2012, 01:50:22 PM »
One of my favorite KC tunes.  It was a cool rendition, and obviously Jordan is quite gifted, but I've always thought that I'd enjoy his playing a lot more if he toned it down maybe 20%.  Everything he does, every single note, is just so over-the-top.  Flashy is fine; hell, I grew up with Emerson and Wakeman, but they at least knew how to embellish through contrast.  Jordan never seems able to switch it off.  I can't think of anything he's done that isn't ridiculously over-the-top.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

For me, less is more. I have the deepest appreciation for subtlety, and when things get excessively over the top, I usually tune out.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #348 on: May 05, 2012, 01:52:48 PM »
The gadgets are awesome and clever.  He can play a freakin' iPod likes it's a synth.  Actually, it is a synth.  The Continuum, the MorphWiz, all that shit is great.  I'd love to hear him play them sometime and show some restraint.

So something more akin to the opening of "Octavarium" or the middle section of "The Count Of Tuscany"? Synths in a more atmospheric mood? Or just more like chord patches, block-chords and moving tones, something more... I dunno.... Kevin Moore-like?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #349 on: May 05, 2012, 07:59:08 PM »
Actually, now that you mention it, the intro to "Octavarium" is pretty damned cool.  I'd forgotten about it.  While a lot of people say it goes on too long and/or is boring, I actually really like it.  So thanks for that.  Yes, that is indeed an example of Jordan actually showing some restraint and playing tastefully.  But I know that a lot of people don't really get into that.  They want the wankery.  I've heard people say that wish they could just skip the intro, and others who've actually made their own edits.

I haven't listened to "The Count of Tuscany" for a while, but I seem to remember it gets really mellow and moody for a while, and I'm sure Jordan is a part of that.  I have to listen to it again.