Author Topic: King Crimson Appreciation Thread  (Read 96452 times)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: King Crimson Appreciation Thread
« Reply #770 on: June 20, 2021, 08:03:44 AM »
Anybody going to this summer's US tour?

:tup

I wish I could but it's a bit too far.

Saw them once in 2016 and twice in 2018. Musically among the very best I have ever seen.

The three drummer setup works so well. Love it!!!

Offline Rob801

« Reply #771 on: June 26, 2021, 03:05:00 PM »
Anybody going to this summer's US tour?

:tup
Picked up a couple of tickets for the Greek Theater in L.A. Aug 6 (a friday). Funny thing is (or maybe not), last concert I saw was KC at the Greek on the 50th Anniversary tour. Have seen them multiple times beginning with the Dicepline tour. Always a great experience!

Not many bands I actually want to see any more. If Steven Wilson makes it anywhere near L.A. I will be there for sure (saw him twice while I lived in Denmark). Would probably go see The Pineapple Thief as well (mostly for Gavin Harrison).

Offline Lupton

« Reply #772 on: July 23, 2021, 10:17:30 AM »
Alright, going to see Crimson in one week next Friday.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #773 on: July 26, 2021, 07:19:17 PM »

Nice!

Made peace with the fact that the last time I'll probably see them was in 2019.

But we'll see.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #774 on: July 27, 2021, 11:25:41 AM »

Nice!

But we'll see.

Well at least you got to see them. This incarnation of Crimson is the one that I'm least familiar. Haven't looked at any setlists, or watched any live footage. I've been intentionally keeping away until I see the show. I want to be surprised!  (even though I've already sort-of been quasi-spoiled as to some tunes which may end up in repertoire due reading fan criticism in forums such as this one)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #775 on: July 27, 2021, 11:56:08 AM »
Catching them Friday in Ft. Worth and Saturday in Austin. One from center balcony and one from the Harrison and Fripp side, nearly overhead. First shows in 17 months, so might as well make the most of it, eh?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lupton

« Reply #776 on: July 27, 2021, 05:09:50 PM »
Catching them Friday in Ft. Worth and Saturday in Austin. One from center balcony and one from the Harrison and Fripp side, nearly overhead. First shows in 17 months, so might as well make the most of it, eh?

Sounds awesome man! I'll be there at Will Rogers in Ft. Worth. Never been to that venue. Hell, last show I saw in Ft. Worth over 20 years ago was Fates Warning at the long defunct Caravan of Dreams. I don't go to many shows so I'm sure this one will be extra special no matter how it pans out.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #777 on: July 31, 2021, 12:18:00 PM »
Still getting my head around that show last night in Ft Worth. Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen drummers who work that way together in my entire life. They weren't just trading 4s, they we're trading 1s, 1/2ths,1/4ths, LOL. Even the most basic kick/snare patterns, they would alternate which drummer would play each individual snare stroke (while the other two waited their turn). The solo in the intro to Indiscipline was like a drummer's game of "telephone", one guy would play the lick, the next guy repeats, the 3rd guy changes it slightly becoming the new lick, next guy repeats THAT, then next guy changes it slightly, and so on, and so on... like a cat and mouse / call and response thing. Lots and lots of cymbal catches (for dramatic effect). Not a boring moment for the frontline the whole night. It's just something you have to see to believe.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #778 on: July 31, 2021, 01:49:26 PM »
That sounds like a cool show!

Offline HOF

« Reply #779 on: July 31, 2021, 01:57:02 PM »
Still getting my head around that show last night in Ft Worth. Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen drummers who work that way together in my entire life. They weren't just trading 4s, they we're trading 1s, 1/2ths,1/4ths, LOL. Even the most basic kick/snare patterns, they would alternate which drummer would play each individual snare stroke (while the other two waited their turn). The solo in the intro to Indiscipline was like a drummer's game of "telephone", one guy would play the lick, the next guy repeats, the 3rd guy changes it slightly becoming the new lick, next guy repeats THAT, then next guy changes it slightly, and so on, and so on... like a cat and mouse / call and response thing. Lots and lots of cymbal catches (for dramatic effect). Not a boring moment for the frontline the whole night. It's just something you have to see to believe.

I could look this up, but who is the third drummer after Rieflin passed? That show does sound like it was amazing.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #780 on: July 31, 2021, 02:25:26 PM »

I could look this up, but who is the third drummer after Rieflin passed? That show does sound like it was amazing.

I believe its a cat (whom I know nothing of!) named Jeremy Stacey (sp)?  My sight totally sucks, but I think Mastelotto was on the left (??) and the other two guys we're the middle, and the right. I honestly couldn't tell who was who!? Yeah yeah I admit I'm not a big SW fan so don't know much PT. I'm not knowledgeable enough of the other two drummers, so I got the surprise I was hoping for with this show. And a most pleasant one it was too!!

I'm sure someone more better informed in this thread will give you a more adequate answer.  :D

Offline Lupton

« Reply #781 on: July 31, 2021, 02:31:39 PM »
That sounds like a cool show!

If you get a chance to see these guys, do it! I feel lucky to have had this one opportunity as it is. Didn't go to concerts much these days even before COVID. So I'm really happy to make this one exception.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #782 on: July 31, 2021, 02:40:09 PM »
One last thing I have to mention is the setlist was a Crimson fan's wet dream! I'm thinking that the set changes from gig to gig, but I imagine certain "classic" tunes have become staples in most sets. Again, something else I'd be happy to hear somebody else elucidate upon this aspect of the current band if someone would kindly oblige.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #783 on: August 01, 2021, 12:06:21 PM »

I believe its a cat (whom I know nothing of!) named Jeremy Stacey (sp)?  My sight totally sucks, but I think Mastelotto was on the left (??) and the other two guys we're the middle, and the right. I honestly couldn't tell who was who!? Yeah yeah I admit I'm not a big SW fan so don't know much PT. I'm not knowledgeable enough of the other two drummers, so I got the surprise I was hoping for with this show. And a most pleasant one it was too!!

I'm sure someone more better informed in this thread will give you a more adequate answer.  :D
The drummer on the right is Gavin Harrison, so from that perspective I'd say they're actually sporting four drummers rather than 3. The middle drummer plays keys for about half the set, taking over the for the deceased Rieflin.

Two great shows. They moved the stage forward a section last night and reticketed us, so we actually did even better than expected. Fourth row from the stage and 3 rows up on the balcony, right over Harrison and Fripp. And while they do mix the setlist up, it's still the same songs. Either way they play two sets of 60 and 40 minutes each, with a 20 minute intermission. And the best news is that the Austin venue was air conditioned! The Ft Worth show was sweltering.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lupton

« Reply #784 on: August 01, 2021, 01:54:07 PM »

The drummer on the right is Gavin Harrison, so from that perspective I'd say they're actually sporting four drummers rather than 3. The middle drummer plays keys for about half the set, taking over the for the deceased Rieflin.

Two great shows. They moved the stage forward a section last night and reticketed us, so we actually did even better than expected. Fourth row from the stage and 3 rows up on the balcony, right over Harrison and Fripp. And while they do mix the setlist up, it's still the same songs. Either way they play two sets of 60 and 40 minutes each, with a 20 minute intermission. And the best news is that the Austin venue was air conditioned! The Ft Worth show was sweltering.

Well my friend didn't even make it into the venue. He had some sort of panic attack and ended up going to the hospital to get all his vitals checked out. It was really weird, because I was very anxious and concerned for my friend, but at the same time I also realized when most of the seating had filled up (after the opener) and Crimson took the stage, that he likely wouldn't have lasted very long in that stifling venue in any case. I'm just very glad he turned out fine and it just turned out to be an anxiety attack and he was also dehydrated. Spent a lot of that show being that dude I'd thought I'd swore I'd never be at a show, on the damn phone!! Texting to get updates from the hospital and filling in on setlist stuff.

Thanks for the drummer info!   :tup  Glad you had nicer time in Austin.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: August 01, 2021, 04:32:06 PM »
Jeremy Stacey was the drummer for Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds before final oasis / robbie williams / The La's drummer Chris Sharrock took over.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #786 on: August 02, 2021, 07:11:19 AM »
What a concert. I enjoyed the heck out of it. Every time I see Gavin, he seems to raise the bar on his drumming. Love the fact that Fripp hasn't removed the mohawk.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #787 on: August 07, 2021, 12:06:29 PM »

Nice!

But we'll see.

Well at least you got to see them. This incarnation of Crimson is the one that I'm least familiar. Haven't looked at any setlists, or watched any live footage. I've been intentionally keeping away until I see the show. I want to be surprised!  (even though I've already sort-of been quasi-spoiled as to some tunes which may end up in repertoire due reading fan criticism in forums such as this one)

You're going to love it.  Have to admit I had my doubts because there have been so many amazing lineup, but this one might be the most versatile of them all.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #788 on: August 07, 2021, 12:11:09 PM »

Figured you'd love it.  Sounds like the typical Crimson show. Awesome that you got to experience it. It's a whole other plane of existence. I hope there is a recording for this tour.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #789 on: August 07, 2021, 12:19:01 PM »
One last thing I have to mention is the setlist was a Crimson fan's wet dream! I'm thinking that the set changes from gig to gig, but I imagine certain "classic" tunes have become staples in most sets. Again, something else I'd be happy to hear somebody else elucidate upon this aspect of the current band if someone would kindly oblige.

I think the current lineup over the years has played the widest swath of material from the band's career and  and it's been ages since a lot of it was played and even the songs that have been played are totally killer versions.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #790 on: August 07, 2021, 02:25:18 PM »
You're going to love it.  Have to admit I had my doubts because there have been so many amazing lineup, but this one might be the most versatile of them all.

Yes each linup of Crimson was its own special unique band and I appreciate them all differently too. This one is more like: Robert Fripp and his King Crimson Orchestra (featuring 3 drummers). After being such a guitar heavy band for all those years, it seems they're striking more of a balance. And I did notice there wasn't much guitar noodling in the show. Just the occasional chordal blast (ala Sailor's Tale end solo) from Fripp to add extra insanity to the proceedings.

Figured you'd love it.  Sounds like the typical Crimson show. Awesome that you got to experience it. It's a whole other plane of existence. I hope there is a recording for this tour.

Indeed you predicted 100% correctly! Yeah, only a video would do it proper justice. There's no way I'd be able to tell which drummer was playing otherwise. I can generally tell who's who on any other instrument but not drums! I'd probably have to listen to these drummers for a LONG time to get to the point where I could tell them apart.

I think the current lineup over the years has played the widest swath of material from the band's career and  and it's been ages since a lot of it was played and even the songs that have been played are totally killer versions.

Yes. So very true! I thought it was great that Mel was given a slot to blow over almost every tune.  The flute solo in Level 5 was killer, and I totally did not see it coming!

Offline Bentower

« Reply #791 on: August 07, 2021, 11:47:38 PM »
I thought it was great that Mel was given a slot to blow over almost every tune.  The flute solo in Level 5 was killer, and I totally did not see it coming!

That's actually my pet peeve with this line-up. If they're playing the original arrangements then sometimes the slots are simply not there. I can't say I've been happy with the superfluous soloing over The ConstruKction of Light in particular.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #792 on: August 22, 2021, 06:43:48 PM »
Nice interview with Tony Levin on his time in KC and the future of the band. He prefaces everything with never say never, but he’s telling friends he thinks this will be the band’s last US tour.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/music/2021/08/03/king-crimson-concert-tour-tony-levin-interview/5438564001/

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #793 on: August 28, 2021, 02:48:33 PM »
Nice interview with Tony Levin on his time in KC and the future of the band. He prefaces everything with never say never, but he’s telling friends he thinks this will be the band’s last US tour.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/music/2021/08/03/king-crimson-concert-tour-tony-levin-interview/5438564001/

Thanks.
 I've been kind of getting that impression as well which is why I saw them on the previous tour.  Decided I was done seeing them but I've been waffling of late.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #794 on: September 22, 2021, 10:36:20 AM »
Happy 40th Birthday to Discipline! Might have to give this one a spin later today!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #795 on: September 22, 2021, 10:57:50 AM »
One of my favorite records ever. Definitely gonna give it a listen later.

I saw the band a couple weeks ago in D.C. at what will probably be their last U.S. show ever, if the rumors are true.
By far the best concert I’ve ever seen. It’s put me on a KC kick and I’ve been listening to whatever live shows I can get my hands on. Currently exploring the 80’s era.

Offline HOF

« Reply #796 on: September 22, 2021, 11:22:50 AM »
Discipline is definitely a landmark album. Been a while since I’ve spun it. May have to do that soon.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #797 on: September 22, 2021, 12:50:29 PM »
I'm not a huge "sound" guy (see the Maiden thread) but Discipline IS one of the best sounding CDs in my collection, if not THE best sounding. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #798 on: December 08, 2021, 10:10:17 PM »
Listening to the Tony Levin version of Bolero. What a magnificent and perhaps under appreciated piece.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #799 on: December 18, 2021, 08:52:04 PM »
Listening to the Tony Levin version of Bolero. What a magnificent and perhaps under appreciated piece.

Pretty sweet.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #800 on: February 02, 2022, 12:47:52 PM »

Offline HOF

« Reply #801 on: February 02, 2022, 01:04:08 PM »
Now that interests me more than the Beatles one.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #802 on: February 02, 2022, 02:17:41 PM »
Is this the "Cosmic FuKc" documentary that has been teased for years?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #803 on: February 02, 2022, 04:43:38 PM »

It is, they just changed the name.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #804 on: February 03, 2022, 01:01:23 AM »

It is, they just changed the name.

But... that's the greatest name for a documentary ever??  :'(
any rock can be made to roll