Author Topic: King Crimson Appreciation Thread  (Read 93371 times)

Offline HOF

Re: King Crimson Appreciation Thread
« Reply #735 on: February 13, 2021, 10:25:58 PM »
My issue is I want to hear more original material. It can be recorded live, their concerts are pretty much dead silent in the audience.

If you haven’t heard Jakko’s latest solo album, it has two songs that are essentially new Crimson songs performed by most of the live band. Really cool album.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: February 14, 2021, 01:18:01 AM »
My issue is I want to hear more original material. It can be recorded live, their concerts are pretty much dead silent in the audience.

Unfortunately I think the closest we will get is Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind where the CDs do not have any audience sounds making it basically that. Although the amount of new music is not  as much as you or I would like.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #737 on: February 14, 2021, 06:20:16 AM »

Unfortunately I think the closest we will get is Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind where the CDs do not have any audience sounds making it basically that. Although the amount of new music is not  as much as you or I would like.

I know there's new stuff scattered about all these new live albums, I wish they'd compile them all into one album.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #738 on: February 18, 2021, 02:32:33 PM »

If you haven’t heard Jakko’s latest solo album, it has two songs that are essentially new Crimson songs performed by most of the live band. Really cool album.

I heard this was supposed to be good but I haven't heard it yet.

Offline HOF

« Reply #739 on: February 18, 2021, 02:41:27 PM »

I heard this was supposed to be good but I haven't heard it yet.

It’s kind of a brooding, cold rainy day type of album, but Jakko is a remarkable talent. This is the first thing I’ve heard by him outside of KC, and it’s really good.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 08:01:38 AM by HOF »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #740 on: February 19, 2021, 07:47:39 AM »
It's sad to say, especially as I'm as much a Fripp fan as I ever was, maybe more, but I'm kind of done with Crimson, I think.   I went through a listening party a couple months ago when ripping my CDs to hardrive, and the high points - ITCOTCK, Red, Discipline, TCOL - are as good as they ever were, but it's getting...  a little scattershot and hard to follow now, and FOR ME, "the thread" was always an important part of the work.  It was never about the "song" with Crimson, as much as what went into the song, and I'm at the point that I don't have the energy or initiative to follow it, especially the little off-shoots.  No dig on the band, that's about ME, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #741 on: February 19, 2021, 08:17:21 AM »
To me, the story drifts away after the mid-2000s, everything since have been Fripp projects, or been like The Projekcts, non-essential KC related stuff;  but more nostalgia act while trying to not be one (mixing up the lineups)

Offline HOF

« Reply #742 on: February 19, 2021, 08:25:43 AM »
I haven’t explored much of anything that is a KC offshoot. All I know is the current live incarnation sounds amazing. The Jakko album has a couple definite KC type songs, but it’s it’s own thing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #743 on: February 19, 2021, 09:28:13 AM »
I'm pretty much in the same boat.  I liked Crimson back in the 70's, both the original and Wetton/Bruford version.  I liked the 80's version with Belew and Levin, and I was okay with them into the 90's.  Then came the ProjeKcts, which were interesting but not really essential.  Since then, I know there's been more, but I just don't feel compelled to dig it up and follow it.  I'll watch a YouTube video with a recent lineup if it comes up suggested, and there's the band with three drummers that I heard about.  It's interesting, certainly much better than I would have thought a band with three drummers would be, but still not essential.  If I'm gonna listen to King Crimson, I already have plenty of stuff to choose from that I like better.  I saw one with the "new" lineup (or a newer lineup anyway) and some guy singing "Starless", obviously not Wetton, and he wasn't bad.  The performance itself wasn't bad.  But why would I want to see/hear that when I've got the real thing?

Offline HOF

« Reply #744 on: February 19, 2021, 09:51:36 AM »
I'm pretty much in the same boat.  I liked Crimson back in the 70's, both the original and Wetton/Bruford version.  I liked the 80's version with Belew and Levin, and I was okay with them into the 90's.  Then came the ProjeKcts, which were interesting but not really essential.  Since then, I know there's been more, but I just don't feel compelled to dig it up and follow it.  I'll watch a YouTube video with a recent lineup if it comes up suggested, and there's the band with three drummers that I heard about.  It's interesting, certainly much better than I would have thought a band with three drummers would be, but still not essential.  If I'm gonna listen to King Crimson, I already have plenty of stuff to choose from that I like better.  I saw one with the "new" lineup (or a newer lineup anyway) and some guy singing "Starless", obviously not Wetton, and he wasn't bad.  The performance itself wasn't bad.  But why would I want to see/hear that when I've got the real thing?

That singer is Jakko Jakszyk, and he might just be the most talented vocalist to front King Crimson (also a heck of a guitarist).

This newer arrangement of Islands is magnificent:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a774IVpInRo

Here’s one of my favorites from Jakko’s recent solo album:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gPhzFKCa37o

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #745 on: February 19, 2021, 09:56:55 AM »
Have you guys actually seen the band live during their last tours? DVDs and live CDs don't capture what these guys are doing on stage. It's amazing I'm telling you. Even though they're not releasing new music, they're still amazing.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: February 19, 2021, 11:49:37 AM »
Have you guys actually seen the band live during their last tours? DVDs and live CDs don't capture what these guys are doing on stage. It's amazing I'm telling you. Even though they're not releasing new music, they're still amazing.

Seen them once in 2016 and twice in 2018.... musically some of the best concerts that I have ever seen.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #747 on: February 19, 2021, 01:37:12 PM »
I saw them in 2018 and it was spectacular. Just look at that monumental set list!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/king-crimson/2018/wiener-stadthalle-halle-f-vienna-austria-73eac6bd.html

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #748 on: February 19, 2021, 06:12:30 PM »
It's sad to say, especially as I'm as much a Fripp fan as I ever was, maybe more, but I'm kind of done with Crimson, I think.   I went through a listening party a couple months ago when ripping my CDs to hardrive, and the high points - ITCOTCK, Red, Discipline, TCOL - are as good as they ever were, but it's getting...  a little scattershot and hard to follow now, and FOR ME, "the thread" was always an important part of the work.  It was never about the "song" with Crimson, as much as what went into the song, and I'm at the point that I don't have the energy or initiative to follow it, especially the little off-shoots.  No dig on the band, that's about ME, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I am with ya, especially in regards to the band itself.  I went through a good phase with them many years ago, but they are like a retired favorite now, one I really never need to hear him anymore, except that they were never really a favorite (I think when I did a top 50 artists list years ago, they were in the 40's, and that's as high as they ever got).  I will on occasion crank up Starless or The Power to Believe II or some of Discipline, but otherwise King Crimson is simply a band I have no urge to ever listen to anymore.

Offline HOF

« Reply #749 on: February 19, 2021, 06:24:11 PM »
I think Crimson are a bit of a mood band. You have to be in that mindset. But I will say for whatever reason I find I work really well with them on in the background.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #750 on: February 19, 2021, 10:37:09 PM »
I am with ya, especially in regards to the band itself.  I went through a good phase with them many years ago, but they are like a retired favorite now, one I really never need to hear him anymore, except that they were never really a favorite (I think when I did a top 50 artists list years ago, they were in the 40's, and that's as high as they ever got).  I will on occasion crank up Starless or The Power to Believe II or some of Discipline, but otherwise King Crimson is simply a band I have no urge to ever listen to anymore.

I don't understand anything you're saying  :lol

any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #751 on: February 20, 2021, 08:43:18 AM »

I don't understand anything you're saying  :lol

Maybe you need to read it again? ;)  :biggrin:

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #752 on: February 28, 2021, 12:44:34 PM »
To me, the story drifts away after the mid-2000s, everything since have been Fripp projects, or been like The Projekcts, non-essential KC related stuff;  but more nostalgia act while trying to not be one (mixing up the lineups)

I got lost around that time too. And then I heard they were playing songs that they hadn't played in decades and thought they went nostalgia about 6 or 7 years ago . But after seeing them live and hearing those live I happily very much mistaken. Those live interpretations brought that material to life gave me a whole new appreciation for those songs that admittedly was not my favorite era of the band. I only have a handful of Fripp's outside projects. (I have a ton of Bruford, Levin and Belew.) Fripp's never really been my favorite musician in this band, but I really like all of the other aspects he's involved himself in from his humanity to his business acumen.

I love King Crimson as much as I ever have if not more although they may have lost me when Belew left.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #753 on: February 28, 2021, 01:06:30 PM »
I haven’t explored much of anything that is a KC offshoot. All I know is the current live incarnation sounds amazing. The Jakko album has a couple definite KC type songs, but it’s it’s own thing.

I wasn't sure if I would like his contributions, but they really seem to work. I like his voice too.  The passion is there.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #754 on: February 28, 2021, 01:12:01 PM »

That's what convinced me....totally. Never thought it could get any better than the double trio. Wrong!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #755 on: February 28, 2021, 01:16:25 PM »
I think Crimson are a bit of a mood band. You have to be in that mindset. But I will say for whatever reason I find I work really well with them on in the background.

I'm the opposite. That music demands that I listen to it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #756 on: February 28, 2021, 04:02:31 PM »
Same here, especially the 80's stuff.  It's so meticulously constructed that "composed" almost doesn't seem to do it justice.  I can't help but stop and listen to it.

Offline HOF

« Reply #757 on: March 02, 2021, 09:31:50 PM »
NP - The Night Watch. Man I love this song and Fripp’s soloing throughout.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #758 on: March 07, 2021, 06:50:31 PM »
Watched Meltdown: Live In Mexico City again this morning and just stared at it in awe.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 07:23:55 PM by ytserush »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #759 on: April 20, 2021, 11:24:01 AM »
https://ispot.tv/a/t7Na

So, this.   

I am floored by this, frankly.  Given how frequently these commercials run (when's the last time you ever saw a band shirt on an actor in a commercial?), and the clearances required, as well as Robert's historical "integrity" with the band intellectual property, every time I see this commercial (and I saw it last night again on my local CBS affiliate, which is why I'm writing this now) I'm amazed this is a thing.

Offline HOF

« Reply #760 on: April 20, 2021, 11:54:44 AM »

So, this.   

I am floored by this, frankly.  Given how frequently these commercials run (when's the last time you ever saw a band shirt on an actor in a commercial?), and the clearances required, as well as Robert's historical "integrity" with the band intellectual property, every time I see this commercial (and I saw it last night again on my local CBS affiliate, which is why I'm writing this now) I'm amazed this is a thing.

Ha! I’m sitting here listening carefully to the music, trying to decipher if there was some Crimson reference or something and didn’t even notice the t-shirt until I re-watched it a third time.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #761 on: May 08, 2021, 08:16:26 PM »

So, this.   

Ha! I’m sitting here listening carefully to the music, trying to decipher if there was some Crimson reference or something and didn’t even notice the t-shirt until I re-watched it a third time.

I'd be more impressed if it were a shirt from anything other than the first album but that's just me. Might have something to do with the Sunday Brunch has kind of become a thing and that some number of people who watch it don't have a clue as to what King Crimson is but that's just an uneducated guess.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #762 on: June 11, 2021, 04:01:03 PM »
Anybody going to this summer's US tour?

Offline HOF

« Reply #763 on: June 18, 2021, 10:39:28 AM »
Today is the 39th anniversary of the release of Beat, and this is some interesting insight behind the making of that I wasn't aware of (though is it ever surprising when KC has internal strife?). Also had never heard this extended version of Requiem before. Very cool. May need to track down that 40th anniversary edition.

https://www.dgmlive.com/news/beat-is-39-today

Beat is still my favorite of the Discipline era albums, though I can see the finding Heartbeat and Two Hands to be out of place. They are pretty distinctly Belew-ish compositions, but I do like them.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #764 on: June 18, 2021, 12:32:05 PM »
That was a good read.  Just enough detail, not too long.  And since it's King Crimson, not surprising at all that it was a challenge to make for all involved.  The first Crimson album made by the same lineup as the previous one, and of course it almost didn't happen.

I love Discipline, and I like Beat a lot.  The article mentions that Beat tends to be overlooked in favor of the others, but for me Three of a Perfect Pair is the weakest.  I like the atmosphere and the improv, but when there's too much, it feels like they just didn't have enough material to fill an album so they just started improvising and recorded whatever came out.  Improv has always been a big part of King Crimson, but Fripp makes some choices about what finally goes onto the album that I don't wholly agree with.  I know... his band, his call.  Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Offline HOF

« Reply #765 on: June 18, 2021, 12:36:16 PM »
That was a good read.  Just enough detail, not too long.  And since it's King Crimson, not surprising at all that it was a challenge to make for all involved.  The first Crimson album made by the same lineup as the previous one, and of course it almost didn't happen.

I love Discipline, and I like Beat a lot.  The article mentions that Beat tends to be overlooked in favor of the others, but for me Three of a Perfect Pair is the weakest.  I like the atmosphere and the improv, but when there's too much, it feels like they just didn't have enough material to fill an album so they just started improvising and recorded whatever came out.  Improv has always been a big part of King Crimson, but Fripp makes some choices about what finally goes onto the album that I don't wholly agree with.  I know... his band, his call.  Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Yeah, I agree about Three of a Perfect Pair. It's 60% good/great and 40% filler, or there about.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #766 on: June 19, 2021, 10:59:35 AM »
Well, it looks like I'm going to see Crimson play in Ft Worth July 30.  The last Crimson show I attended was the Double Trio down in Austin 95. That was a killer performance!

I'm not so sure about this line-up. IIRC, watched a Youtube video of this line-up doing a "new" song a few years back. Can't even remember the title?  I do remember that it had lots of dense space-chords and a vocal part. Really helpful description, I know! :D   Didn't do anything for me though. I'll probably be avoiding watching anything further because I really want to be surprised.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #767 on: June 19, 2021, 11:02:51 AM »

:tup

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #768 on: June 19, 2021, 05:52:31 PM »

:tup

Seriously considered it, but I'm done dancing with Ticketbastard/Jive Nation.
It's likely their last tour of this magnitude so if anyone has been waiting to catch them, now would be a good time.

Fortunately, it should be documented the way it usually is so I'll get to see/hear it in the comfort of my own home sometime down the road. I'll keep eating it like I always have. Special band.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #769 on: June 20, 2021, 07:52:16 AM »
I saw them in 2014, and I would have likely seen them again if they had released a new studio album of new material since then.