Author Topic: King Crimson Appreciation Thread  (Read 96117 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: King Crimson Appreciation Thread
« Reply #700 on: August 08, 2019, 10:03:17 AM »
The most comprehensive King Crimson interview I've ever seen.  And I'm pretty sure about that because Fripp almost never gives interviews, and there are even fewer King Crimson interviews because of that.

Apologies if this is a repost.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #701 on: August 10, 2019, 07:01:48 PM »
The most comprehensive King Crimson interview I've ever seen.  And I'm pretty sure about that because Fripp almost never gives interviews, and there are even fewer King Crimson interviews because of that.

Apologies if this is a repost.

Read this a few months back. He's definitely a changed man.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #702 on: September 24, 2019, 03:33:48 PM »

I think it's awesome there's been all of the discussion about King Crimson.

It is because they're now on Spotify or the 50th anniversary tour or both?

Seeing them in September as I've not caught this lineup yet and it could be the final time I'll have the chance. I expect it to be different than other 6 times I've seen them over the years. They're flat out amazing live.

Great to see people getting into them.

Nearly a full house in Philly last night.  I'll admit I was never a huge fan of the '60 and '70s incarnations of this band perhaps due to the lack of attention those years got whenever I saw them live. Never saw this lineup either.

I really like those eras. I enjoy listening to it a lot but it never destroyed me like it did last night. I'd guess I never witnessed about 70 percent of the set. Totally blown away. Completely.  I lack the words to describe it.

Need to pull that live stuff out from that era and see if I somehow missed something or maybe this band just unlocked something that wasn't tapped before.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #703 on: September 24, 2019, 04:56:35 PM »
I think every era of King Crimson had something to offer.  Whenever you put that many talented musicians on stage together and turn them loose, there is the potential for amazing music.  There is also a lot of less elegant noodling and doodling, which is why improv is so dangerous, so unpredictable.  But man, when things are hot, there's nothing like it.

I've never been to a King Crimson show, but I've seen a bunch of video (and own some myself), and I'm always blown away.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #704 on: October 02, 2019, 06:56:16 PM »
I think every era of King Crimson had something to offer.  Whenever you put that many talented musicians on stage together and turn them loose, there is the potential for amazing music.  There is also a lot of less elegant noodling and doodling, which is why improv is so dangerous, so unpredictable.  But man, when things are hot, there's nothing like it.

I've never been to a King Crimson show, but I've seen a bunch of video (and own some myself), and I'm always blown away.

Oh, I completely agree. I at least like all eras very much but there are some I prefer more than others.  I never saw this era live before and was kind of avoiding what they were playing on this tour. I was hoping for a set focusing on the last 30 years or so since that's probably my favorite period and I'll admit I laughed when they dusted off Cat Food.  I just wasn't prepared to have my face melted.

I went back and pulled the Epitaph box and maybe it's the quality of the recordings (which aren't bad given the age) but  I didn't really have a different reaction than when I always play it.  I like it a lot and it was great in it's time but they really brought this stuff to life. Most of it sounded like it was written yesterday.  Can't even really describe it. I'm gonna move into the early '70s eras and see if that stuff stirs me any more but I really don't know if it will. I probably will check out whatever is available for this tour because I need more of this stuff.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #705 on: March 24, 2020, 05:16:18 PM »
Bill Rieflin is dead. RIP

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #706 on: March 24, 2020, 05:53:03 PM »
Damn. That sucks

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #707 on: March 24, 2020, 10:19:16 PM »
How did I never hear about Meltdown: Live In Mexico until now.

Gonna buy that since it has Fallen Angel and I've been looking for a live version.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #708 on: March 27, 2020, 01:25:22 PM »
This really never gets any easier.

At least we have the music.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #709 on: June 16, 2020, 12:39:25 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but another Crimson musician has passed:

R.I.P. one of the all time piano geniuses, the British jazz icon Keith Tippett. Just heard a very sad news from my friend Riccardo Bergerone from Torino, who is Keith Tippett's friend for over 4 decades, confirmed by Keith's daughter Inca and his wife Julie. Keith unfortunately died 3 hours ago. A hero of mine for who knows since when, some of his albums are among my all time favorite albums. Keith was the member of one-off band Soft Ware, with Hugh Hopper, Elton Dean and John Marshall, the genesis of Soft Works, which became Soft Machine Legacy and consequently, assuming the full name of Soft Machine, 5 years ago. I've met Keith for the first time in Noci, southern Italy, only 5-6 miles from where I lived, in 1990, he was playing a solo piano show at Europe Festival Noci, whose artistic directors were the Italian trumpet & fluegelhorn player Pino Minafra, and my best friend during my life in Italy, Italian poet and saxophonist Vittorino Curci. Dudu Pukwana, the South-African jazz icon and close friend of Keith since the late 60s, has just died I believe one day before Keith's festival show, and Keith performed one hour of the most brilliant piano improvisation ever heard by tours truly, as a dedication for his old friend. When I called Keith in 2001 asking him to continue the Soft Ware project, he remembered me, and we spoke for over an hour. And years later, he started to guest occasionally on Soft Machine (Legacy) shows in Germany, UK and Japan. One world only: GENIUS. Sadly, he wasn’t enough known in the USA. Dedicated To You Keith, Thank You For All What You Have Done For Music. Love and condolences to his wife Julie Tippetts and a family. Keith - You will be in our hearts forever.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/leonardo.moonjunerecords/posts/3617891941557699
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Mladen

« Reply #710 on: June 16, 2020, 03:08:45 AM »
I actually had to look up which King Crimson albums he performed on and was surprised that I wasn't aware of his input. I should revisit those albums and listen carefully.

Online Lupton

« Reply #711 on: June 16, 2020, 10:55:08 AM »
Check out the tune 'Cat Food'

Offline Mladen

« Reply #712 on: June 16, 2020, 11:52:09 AM »
Yeah, the piano on that song is insane. I've just never known who played it on the album.

Online Lupton

« Reply #713 on: June 16, 2020, 12:03:41 PM »
I've always been a big fan of what he adds to the Crim. Lovely work on the Bolero (from the Lizard suite), Formentera Lady, Islands. I had another more freeform-y album with him playing on it called "Cruel But Fair".  Need to check it out again soon.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #714 on: June 19, 2020, 11:35:36 PM »
So I bought all fifth 40th Anniversary Collection albums from BurningShed a few weeks ago and they finally came in yesterday (after sitting int he UK for what felt like 10 days according to the FedEx tracker).

I know most of them have been out for many years now, but I had missed a few early on, then decided to just wait until they were all release, and last year, they finally release TPTB, so I figured now was a good time to replace all of my previous 30th Anniversary re-issues.

I'll be ripping them to my HD and then putting them on my phone for easy listening, but I am REALLY excited to dive back into the King Crimson catalog, as it has been quite some time since I've listened to Fripp and the boys!

I really wish that they would do just ONE last studio album, with the current touring line up. Give them one last big hurrah before bowing out, because I know Fripp is definitely not getting any younger. A Scarcity Of Miracles was really good, and I've been spinning that recently (as I waited for my 15 albums to arrive), so I wouldn't mind another album like that, but perhaps with one or two heavier songs as well.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #715 on: June 20, 2020, 12:18:44 AM »
So I bought all fifth 40th Anniversary Collection albums from BurningShed a few weeks ago and they finally came in yesterday (after sitting int he UK for what felt like 10 days according to the FedEx tracker).

I know most of them have been out for many years now, but I had missed a few early on, then decided to just wait until they were all release, and last year, they finally release TPTB, so I figured now was a good time to replace all of my previous 30th Anniversary re-issues.

I'll be ripping them to my HD and then putting them on my phone for easy listening, but I am REALLY excited to dive back into the King Crimson catalog, as it has been quite some time since I've listened to Fripp and the boys!

I really wish that they would do just ONE last studio album, with the current touring line up. Give them one last big hurrah before bowing out, because I know Fripp is definitely not getting any younger. A Scarcity Of Miracles was really good, and I've been spinning that recently (as I waited for my 15 albums to arrive), so I wouldn't mind another album like that, but perhaps with one or two heavier songs as well.

-Marc.

A new studio album with the current lineup would be a dream come true. I'm very curious what the three drummers would bring to the table. Plus, weren't there some rumours that Belew would rejoin? With him in the band and maybe him and Jakko sharing vocals, I think something new and really awesome could be the result. Also, Fripp has never done anything not worth listening to, so a new Crimso studio album would be - let's say - nothing to be scared of, like a new Yes album.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #716 on: June 21, 2020, 03:16:31 PM »
I don't need a new studio album, but some live recordings would be great.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #718 on: June 21, 2020, 05:27:30 PM »

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #719 on: June 22, 2020, 01:32:10 AM »
The Meltdown Bluray ist awesome.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #720 on: January 13, 2021, 02:08:40 PM »
Toyah and Robert Fripp startle humanity with cover of Enter Sandman

I haven't heard the cover yet, but I'll say that it looks pretty interesting.  No, seriously, click the link.  You'll see what I mean.

Also, I didn't even realize that Toyah and Robert were married, and have been since 1986 (they married on Robert's 40th birthday), so nearly 35 years ago.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #721 on: January 13, 2021, 02:17:08 PM »
"We could comment on Fripp's uncanny ability to maintain eye contact with his wife despite her most valiant attempts to distract him. But we won't."

I love those two.    Robert and Toyah, I mean.  I really enjoy their little videos.

EDIT:  I've seen a lot of Fripp live, both on tape and in person, and 1:05 may be the first overt "technique" mistake I've ever heard him make.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #722 on: January 13, 2021, 03:16:12 PM »
Fuck, that was really good!  In all ways.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #723 on: January 13, 2021, 03:56:23 PM »
Monk-level focus. Cool cover too.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #724 on: January 16, 2021, 07:18:08 PM »

Sure was. I'm pretty sure they've been doing these videos regularly since the pandemic.  At first I thought he was doing them begrudgingly but he seems to be really enjoying them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: January 17, 2021, 10:52:23 AM »

Sure was. I'm pretty sure they've been doing these videos regularly since the pandemic.  At first I thought he was doing them begrudgingly but he seems to be really enjoying them.

Yeah; I've seen I think four or five now.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #726 on: January 17, 2021, 06:36:04 PM »
This week's is similar, and blatantly acknowledges why last week's was so popular.  Self-awareness is key.

Toyah and Robert's Sunday Lunch - Rebel Yell

Okay, I'll stop with these.  Y'all need to check them out yourselves.  The videos, I mean.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: January 18, 2021, 07:31:27 AM »
Even without the obvious, I have a mild crush on Toyah.  I just like her attitude and energy (and I've said this before, back when the videos were a little less titillating.  So to speak.).  And I think the whole package is rather attractive for a 62 year old woman.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #728 on: January 30, 2021, 06:21:33 PM »
Welcome to the Jungle wasn't bad.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: February 10, 2021, 05:49:10 PM »
For Immediate Release

“A Romantic's Guide To King Crimson” by The Mastelottos Featuring Drum Legend Pat Mastelotto!

Romantic's Guide to King Crimson - CD and Download link

Valentine’s Day 2021 delivers an unexpected and welcome surprise with the release of “A Romantic’s Guide to King Crimson,” the new 12-track album of reinvented King Crimson material by the husband-and-wife duo Deborah and Pat Mastelotto. The collection, which spans the band’s entire history, revisits classics including “Matte Kudasai,” “Heartbeat,” “Moonchild,” “Elephant Talk,” “Peace,” “Exiles,” and “Sleepless.”

Pat Mastelotto is an American rock drummer and record producer who has worked with King Crimson, Mr. Mister, XTC, and The Rembrandts, and many others. Pat has served as one of King Crimson’s drummers from 1995 to the present day. This album resulted from Pat’s observations and Deborah’s insights made after she intermittently joined Pat on tour as part of the King Crimson entourage from 2008 onwards.

“It’s always been a joke in the King Crimson camp that there’s never a line for the women’s restrooms during intermissions,” said Deborah. “King Crimson plays loud and it’s often intense and raucous. But it can also be haunting and melodic, with some of the most beautiful lyrics ever. We wanted to help uncover that sweetness and introduce the songs to a different type of audience with ‘A Romantic’s Guide to King Crimson.’”

“The album has amazing contributions from all the musicians involved, especially the TOAPP artists,” said Pat. “We experimented together and since they were already lifelong Crim Heads, they were totally into reconfiguring the classic performances or developing totally new parts. So, get ready. You’ll hear some fantastic detail in their playing.”
The recording features lead vocals by Deborah and drumming and production by Pat. They chose the material and co-arranged it together.

“We compiled King Crimson songs and searched for the romanticism in them, then re-arranged them,” said Deborah. “The addition of a girl singer automatically changed the feel of those songs and placed them in a different genre. Our idea was to create a way for people, especially women, to appreciate the beauty of King Crimson’s music without the fear and sometimes resistance attached to the word ‘prog’ getting in the way. We slowed the songs way down and stripped them back to their essential lyrics and melodies.”

“In the Crimson tradition, we approached every song as if it was brand new,” said Pat. “At first, it involved tinkering with 20-plus songs in hotel rooms using iPhone apps to choose what worked best for us. We first focused on the lyrics. The words had to resonate and the arrangements had to develop a prog-meets-pop twist to meet my hopes. We had no desire to duplicate the original arrangements. In fact, just the opposite. I was trying to discover where else they could go to expose sweetness, sort of like the old days of cassettes and giving a loved one a mixtape. It’s a gift to fans and a family of former Crims.“

The Mastelottos started the recordings in 2019 by inviting the Texas TOAPP alumni, including members of the Houston symphony, to record in Pat’s home studio in the Texas Hill Country. After a quick trip to Nagoya for his one and only live gig of 2020, which yielded the live Stick Men album “Owari,” Pat returned and spent months with Deborah during the 2020 COVID-19 lockdown finishing the project. The result is an album full of lush nuance and ornamentation designed to put listeners in a meditative and buoyant mood.

“The COVID-19 lockdown resulted in a year of cancelled shows, which gave us time to realize the album,” said Pat. “This grand reboot of humanity made being a couple all the more important, nurturing relationships with people we love, gardening and doing home projects while creating this album together was a beautiful experience.”
“2020 has given us the longest period of consecutive days, weeks and months we’ve ever spent together,” said Deborah. “Our close proximity enabled a continuous dialog and working environment, so we never had to break the creative flow.”

“Working from home meant we could take the listening experience from the studio to the car to the bedroom…to test drive…so to speak,” added Pat.

“Fluff your pillows and head to the softer side of the bed for the pinkest Crimson ever”

Cover Art: Ana Fuentes
Design: Denis Rodier

To pre-order: https://patmastelotto7d.bandcamp.com/album/a-romantics-guide-to-king-crimson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: February 11, 2021, 06:47:15 AM »
Robert and Toyah are like "WTF, bro. Stay in your lane!"   Haha. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #731 on: February 11, 2021, 12:12:13 PM »
Anyone else think Fripp won't release a proper King Crimson studio album again because the band has 13 official albums?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #732 on: February 13, 2021, 06:51:37 PM »
I don't need a new studio album, but some live recordings would be great.

Like these?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_the_Orpheum

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_in_Toronto_(King_Crimson_album)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_Action_to_Unseat_the_Hold_of_Monkey_Mind

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_in_Chicago_(King_Crimson_album)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_in_Vienna_(King_Crimson_album)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meltdown:_Live_in_Mexico_City

I haven't heard any of these, but they're all from the last 5-6 years, with largely the same line-up.

-Marc.

Don't have all of those yet, but yeah. Something from the most recent tour would be great too, but I think that may be in the pipeline.

Since this post I'm now only missing Vienna and Radical Action To Unseat The Monkey Mind.

Been on serious live Crimson kick lately largely listening to Chicago, Orpheum, and Toronto. I've always been a fan of the early '80s stuff and the double trio but I have to say the recent live band is a beast. I'd be the first to admit that the '69 to '74 period was my least favorite (Though I do like it a lot) but the recent look back has totally turned me around on this music. I should have known better that this was no nostalgia trip.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #733 on: February 13, 2021, 06:54:50 PM »
Anyone else think Fripp won't release a proper King Crimson studio album again because the band has 13 official albums?

As long as he keeps release those magical live albums I don't really care.  Might have more to do with the fact that you don't make much money off of studio albums anymore than the number.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #734 on: February 13, 2021, 08:44:31 PM »
My issue is I want to hear more original material. It can be recorded live, their concerts are pretty much dead silent in the audience.