Author Topic: King Crimson Appreciation Thread  (Read 96431 times)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: King Crimson Appreciation Thread
« Reply #665 on: June 15, 2019, 01:07:31 PM »
Quite a nice collection you got there! ;)

I wonder why Construkction ist the only one they re-released with a new cover. Yeah, it IS the worst King Crimson cover (in my opinion), but Robert is usually very careful with changing things like that, isn't he? It seems he usually has a lot of respect for the original, so does Steven Wilson.

Still, I really hope for a vinyl release. Does anyone know in which order/with which time difference the last albums were re-released on CD and vinyl? I think it was always first the CD and then the vinyl after some time, but I could be wrong.

Apparently they lost some of the original audio, and I've read that Fripp really disliked the album, so this "remaster" is actually a complete rerecording of the album with the current line-up, hence the cover change.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #666 on: June 15, 2019, 02:07:32 PM »
Beware that the DVD of Reconstruction is glitched. Some tracks are sped up by 10%, changing the pitch of the music.
The Reconstruction CD is fine. Only the Reconstruction DVD is broken.

However, in the 150€ boxset several discs are faulty and the label doesn't intend to fix them :censored

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #667 on: June 15, 2019, 06:02:07 PM »
Is the album actually good this time?  :hat
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #668 on: June 15, 2019, 08:43:28 PM »
Quite a nice collection you got there! ;)

I wonder why Construkction ist the only one they re-released with a new cover. Yeah, it IS the worst King Crimson cover (in my opinion), but Robert is usually very careful with changing things like that, isn't he? It seems he usually has a lot of respect for the original, so does Steven Wilson.

Still, I really hope for a vinyl release. Does anyone know in which order/with which time difference the last albums were re-released on CD and vinyl? I think it was always first the CD and then the vinyl after some time, but I could be wrong.

Apparently they lost some of the original audio, and I've read that Fripp really disliked the album, so this "remaster" is actually a complete rerecording of the album with the current line-up, hence the cover change.
https://burningshed.com/king-crimson_the-reconstrukction-of-light_cd_dvda
Only the drums were rerecorded, which I think it turns out being excellent, since my only dislike on that album were the electronic drums.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #669 on: June 15, 2019, 09:28:27 PM »
Only the drums were rerecorded, which I think it turns out being excellent, since my only dislike on that album were the electronic drums.

Thanks for clarifying! I was getting my info from the wiki page.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #670 on: June 16, 2019, 06:26:24 AM »
Beware that the DVD of Reconstruction is glitched. Some tracks are sped up by 10%, changing the pitch of the music.

However, in the 150€ boxset several discs are faulty and the label doesn't intend to fix them :censored

Where did you buy the CD/DVD from? Not that it matters much but maybe KC used a different pressing plant for Europe and US?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #671 on: June 16, 2019, 06:42:40 AM »
I actually like that album better than its predecessor and successor. Prozakc blues, Into the frying pan, I have a dream and the second part of the title track are amazing.

Online me7

« Reply #672 on: June 16, 2019, 09:40:54 AM »

Where did you buy the CD/DVD from? Not that it matters much but maybe KC used a different pressing plant for Europe and US?

I ordered on Amazon in Europe, but my copy ist still ubderway. Just repeating what I read on other sites to warn people.

Here is the press release: https://www.dgmlive.com/news/Heaven_and_earth
I don't like how they call the 9% speedup "slightly different". That's a major defect IMO.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #673 on: June 16, 2019, 10:51:25 AM »
Seems like it's "isolated" to the boxset

"It has come to our attention that a small amount of the material that was added to the Blu-Ray and DVD-A discs on the Heaven and Earth Boxed Set is playing at a slightly incorrect speed."

I guess the CD/DVDA only versions (the 2-disc set) is ok?

Online me7

« Reply #674 on: June 16, 2019, 11:28:16 AM »
I will check my CD/DVDA when it arrives and report back. But I expect it to be sped up as well.

Online me7

« Reply #675 on: June 18, 2019, 03:07:52 PM »
Yes, the album "Heaven and Earth" in the DVDA is sped up.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #676 on: June 19, 2019, 05:27:50 PM »
I think it's awesome there's been all of the discussion about King Crimson.

It is because they're now on Spotify or the 50th anniversary tour or both?

Seeing them in September as I've not caught this lineup yet and it could be the final time I'll have the chance. I expect it to be different than other 6 times I've seen them over the years. They're flat out amazing live.

Great to see people getting into them.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #677 on: June 20, 2019, 07:50:00 AM »
I am in the German progrock.dt community and on their FB forum. (dt stands for Deutschland = Germany). The group has been full of King Crimson the last weeks. Love it.

Also: I just bought my first King Crimson tickets! Berlin, 7th row, here I come!!!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #678 on: June 20, 2019, 10:52:12 AM »
If I've said this before I apologize, but currently on my list of biggest RnRHoF snubs, Robert Fripp and Phil Collins are tied at number 1.  I can't even think of a number two (maybe Dio, maybe ELP).   

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #679 on: June 20, 2019, 01:03:27 PM »
If I've said this before I apologize, but currently on my list of biggest RnRHoF snubs, Robert Fripp and Phil Collins are tied at number 1.  I can't even think of a number two (maybe Dio, maybe ELP).

What's a snub?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: June 20, 2019, 01:08:15 PM »

What's a snub?

Being unjustly ignored or rejected.  If you walk up to me and say "Hi Stadler", and put out your hand to shake mine, and I look at you, turn and walk away, I've "snubbed" you.    Rush was "snubbed" for many years by the RnRHoF (at least in the view of their rabid fanbase).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #681 on: June 20, 2019, 02:35:30 PM »

What's a snub?

Being unjustly ignored or rejected.  If you walk up to me and say "Hi Stadler", and put out your hand to shake mine, and I look at you, turn and walk away, I've "snubbed" you.    Rush was "snubbed" for many years by the RnRHoF (at least in the view of their rabid fanbase).

Thanks!

But wasn't Phil Collins introduced with Genesis? Or do you mean he should also be included as a solo artist?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #682 on: June 21, 2019, 10:32:48 AM »
He was inducted with Genesis - as was Peter Gabriel - but unlike Peter, he has not been inducted as a solo artist.   He is one of only three artists to have sold 100 million records as a member of a group and as a solo performer.   Both others - Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney - are in as both group members and solo artists. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #683 on: June 21, 2019, 02:29:55 PM »
I am in the German progrock.dt community and on their FB forum. (dt stands for Deutschland = Germany). The group has been full of King Crimson the last weeks. Love it.

Also: I just bought my first King Crimson tickets! Berlin, 7th row, here I come!!!

Seem like their profile exploded lately. Very curious as to why.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #684 on: June 25, 2019, 01:12:25 AM »

Could this really just be because of Spotify (plus they're touring right now)?

I can't wait to finally see this band!
I know that Robert is a very private guy, but do you guys know if there is any chance for a pathetic fanboy (like me) to get an autograph or a picture with him?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: June 25, 2019, 07:43:28 AM »

I know that Robert is a very private guy, but do you guys know if there is any chance for a pathetic fanboy (like me) to get an autograph or a picture with him?

Now that I have shaken hands with Ritchie Blackmore, Robert Fripp is No. 1 by a long shot (though it's a very very short list overall) of musicians I'd like to meet.   I find him to be a fascinating guy; most of his diary entries paint him to be a rather dour, perhaps cold man, maybe even a little bitter, but if you're privy to the exchanges (you can google it) between he and John Wetton as John's illness began to get the better of him, it was both touching and heartbreaking.   The affection that Fripp had for Wetton was pure and clear.    I'm a huge Wetton fan (mostly from Asia, let's be honest, that's where he shined) and reading some of the final exchanges, and seeing the pictures from their last time together (Wetton was, literally, unrecognizable) I went through half a box of tissues.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #686 on: July 07, 2019, 08:56:58 AM »

Now that I have shaken hands with Ritchie Blackmore, Robert Fripp is No. 1 by a long shot (though it's a very very short list overall) of musicians I'd like to meet.   I find him to be a fascinating guy; most of his diary entries paint him to be a rather dour, perhaps cold man, maybe even a little bitter, but if you're privy to the exchanges (you can google it) between he and John Wetton as John's illness began to get the better of him, it was both touching and heartbreaking.   The affection that Fripp had for Wetton was pure and clear.    I'm a huge Wetton fan (mostly from Asia, let's be honest, that's where he shined) and reading some of the final exchanges, and seeing the pictures from their last time together (Wetton was, literally, unrecognizable) I went through half a box of tissues.

He's seemed to have made subtle mental changes to his disposition of the last 10 years or so but I haven't followed that closely enough to determine at what point that may have happened.

I don't need to shake Fripp's hand but I do need see Crimson in September.

I've broken my somewhat recently adopted rule about traveling more than 90 minutes away for a concert on a weeknight for this.  Might be the last time I see this band.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #687 on: July 10, 2019, 01:36:09 PM »
I've seen both 2008 and 2017 incarnations of King Crimson and they are a magical act to witness. The 2017 was very memorable as a I was sitting on Gavin's and Fripp's side of the stage. When Gavin did his solo in the 21st Schizoid Man song, Fripp was smiling! A full smile! That was the highlight of the show for me.

After the initial reunion shows with Adrian (the 2008 band), Fripp kind of went away. His urge to re-start the Beast came from the album Scarcity of Miracles (Jackzyk, Fripp, and Collins, with Levin and Gavin on the rhythm section).

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #688 on: July 14, 2019, 12:15:13 AM »
Any fans of Islands?

It was the last KC album that I got and I haven't listened to it that much.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #689 on: July 14, 2019, 12:22:32 PM »
That's my least favorite one. Aside from the fabulous title track, it's really a drag.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #690 on: July 14, 2019, 12:24:39 PM »
If I never hear Islands again, I will be most pleased. Same goes for In the Wake of Poseidon and Lizard.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #691 on: July 14, 2019, 02:43:34 PM »
Yeah, that's totally how I feel as well.

Last night I listened to it back to back with Red and what a difference. Red's songs are punchy, strait to the point and memorable. Fallen angel is stuck in my head right now as I am writing this. The songs on islands meander, don't really go anywhere and feel meh. Which is a shame, because when they are on point, I can't get enough KC.

Offline DTA

« Reply #692 on: July 14, 2019, 04:43:57 PM »
If I never hear Islands again, I will be most pleased. Same goes for In the Wake of Poseidon and Lizard.

Islands is pretty meh after the title track and Sailor's Tale, but In The Wake Of Poseidon is seriously awesome. I'll never understand how that one gets overlooked while the debut gets praised. Lizard is strange.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #693 on: July 14, 2019, 05:00:04 PM »
An album containing songs of the quality of Pictures of a City and In the Wake of Poseidon (better than Epitaph imo) can’t possibly be bad.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #694 on: July 15, 2019, 02:09:03 AM »
Lets not forget Cadence and cascade. That song is just gorgeous.

Lizard actually used to be my favorite album of theirs for a long time, but I probably got tired of it. The jazzy sound is overwhelming to me nowadays.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #695 on: July 15, 2019, 04:51:01 AM »
I actually heard King Crimson for the first time when I got The Construkction of Light from the library. The atonal one-note-at-a-time guitar lines alternating left and right plus the electronic drums put me in a mysterious world while studying. I really liked it, but I soon learned that almost every other KC record was even better.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 04:57:15 AM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: July 15, 2019, 10:28:22 AM »
I've been in a pretty big Grateful Dead mood lately (I'm a fan of the Godchaux years, primarily) and I was struck over the weeknd that while the music itself is different (and the roots are coming from a different place) there is a LOT of similarity between the Dead and Crimson, both on stage and off. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #697 on: July 24, 2019, 04:26:01 PM »

Islands is pretty meh after the title track and Sailor's Tale, but In The Wake Of Poseidon is seriously awesome. I'll never understand how that one gets overlooked while the debut gets praised. Lizard is strange.

I pulled In The Wake Of Poseidon off of the shelf last weekend and listened to it a few times. Although that era has never been my favorite I enjoy that period a lot. It's a very introspective album. Whenever I put it on I'm always wondering why I don't listen to it more although ultimately I know what that answer is (Some much music so little time!)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #698 on: July 24, 2019, 04:27:40 PM »
I've been in a pretty big Grateful Dead mood lately (I'm a fan of the Godchaux years, primarily) and I was struck over the weeknd that while the music itself is different (and the roots are coming from a different place) there is a LOT of similarity between the Dead and Crimson, both on stage and off.

There are similarities for sure.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #699 on: July 24, 2019, 04:54:54 PM »
I've always really enjoyed Wake of Poseidon. Its got some decent, memorable tracks and its a great companion piece to the debut album. I particularly love the title track on Poseidon, its dark, brooding and beautiful.

Cat food is fun and goofy. And Pictures of a city is pretty solid, a long song that goes to a bunch of different places without losing my attention.