Author Topic: King Crimson Appreciation Thread  (Read 93375 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: King Crimson Appreciation Thread
« Reply #595 on: October 20, 2017, 08:14:48 AM »
Unbelievable show. Gavin is a freak on drums. Fripp was behind Gavin and there were times were you could see Fripp smiling just watching him play. Fripp seemed in avery good mood. A couple of times he pointed at the audience because someone was taking pictures. That was kind of funny. The mix was great. I was really curious to see how 3 drummers would have space for playing but it works perfectly.

And I was also surprised by the heavyness on some songs. Jakko and Fripp's guitars were on the heavy side and the material sounded marvelous.

If KC is in the vicinity, go and check them out. It was a blast seeing this lineup.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #596 on: November 25, 2017, 01:02:29 AM »
Okay so I saw this band for the first time tonight. I'm familiar with them being regarded as one of the upper echilon progressive rock bands, but never got around to getting into them. Only was familiar with maybe 3 or so songs.

Unbelievable performance. Fripp is a God. And GAVIN WAS THERE. Being a big Porcupine Tree fan (and never seen them live before), this was cool. The audio and balance was insanely good. Despite not knowing a lot of the songs, the whole performance was still so extremely entertaining. I feel very fortunate to have seen them. It almost feels like a spell has been put on me

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #597 on: November 25, 2017, 05:03:30 AM »
I have a hard time ordering tickets for the German (or Austrian) shows. I can only find some Royal tickets and stuff. I want a normal ticket :D :D Not a 300 meet and greet where in the end I won't meet Robert anyway :D
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #598 on: December 12, 2017, 06:42:07 PM »
I'm sure this has been asked before, but let's have another go. What is everyone's favorite Era/line up of king crimson?

Mine is without a doubt Early 80's KC.  Fripp, Levin, Bruford, Belew. All world class musicians, a very tight 4 person line up, awesome synth sound. I just love it. 

How about you guys?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #599 on: December 13, 2017, 06:09:25 AM »
I would say Fripp-Bufford-Wetton-Cross-Muir which ended up being just Fripp-Bufford-Wetton. The 80s formation is a close second but I think the 3 albums (Larks through Red) are probably the best run they had.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #600 on: December 13, 2017, 06:25:22 AM »
I would say Fripp-Bufford-Wetton-Cross-Muir which ended up being just Fripp-Bufford-Wetton. The 80s formation is a close second but I think the 3 albums (Larks through Red) are probably the best run they had.
I'm probably going with this answer as well. The line up on the debut is also fantastic.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #601 on: December 13, 2017, 08:16:46 AM »
The 70's band with Wetton and Bruford was my favorite for a long time, largely on the strength of Red and USA.  When I dug into some of the earlier studio stuff by the same band (Starless and Bible Black, Lark's Tongues in Aspic) I found it a bit jarring.  Rather different sometimes, and overall less consistent.

I always thought the early 80's band with Belew, Levin, and Bruford was incredibly consistent and amazing, but I had some trouble with it.  And it's for admittedly stupid reasons reasons: It didn't sound like King Crimson to me.  I grew up with King Crimson.  King Crimson has one guitar: Robert Fripp.  But Belew is incredible and quickly won me over.  It helped that I was already familiar with him because of his work with Zappa.

I find myself reaching for the 80's stuff more than the 70's stuff nowadays.  Their three-album run (Discipline, Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair) beats out the three albums by the Wetton band, though just barely.  It depends on my mood, too, but the 80's stuff is more consistent to me.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #602 on: December 13, 2017, 08:28:05 AM »
Wetton era (no Muir, but with Cross) wins for me too, just on their improvisation alone. A lot of their improvs are the highlights of the shows, along with how incredible their Starless was, and some other gems of the period like Doctor Diamond and how often they played Exiles. No other group of musicians could possibly come up with Asbury Park or Voyage to the Centre of the Cosmos.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #603 on: December 13, 2017, 10:01:28 AM »
Asbury Park is fucking amazing.  I completely forgot about the live improv side of that band.

My revised favorites are the 70's Wetton lineup for live stuff, and the 80's Belew lineup for studio stuff.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #604 on: December 13, 2017, 12:47:32 PM »
Not that they are a vocal band, but the eras with Greg Lake and John Wetton are more my speed; musically, they are - along with the post-Thrak material - beefier.   I like the heavy Crimson.   While beautiful (Discipline is one of the best sounding disks in my not inconsequential collection), there are moments that are a bit light for me. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #605 on: December 13, 2017, 07:12:01 PM »
Love every era. Gateway was the Levin-Bruford years and it just exploded from there.

Least favorite is probably the current lineup.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #606 on: January 15, 2018, 12:10:05 PM »
I'd say these guys do a pretty damn good job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBikXgH-MUg

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #607 on: January 15, 2018, 12:47:06 PM »

Wow this is freaking accurate!!! I think I have never heard a version of this song that was so close to the original (except for the keyboard solo of course) ;)
But what a shame that this video has 61 clicks and there didn't seem to be too many people watching.
Great version nevertheless.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #608 on: January 19, 2018, 06:23:07 PM »

On that song they do.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #609 on: April 07, 2019, 10:46:56 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/king-crimson-albums-streaming-spotify-818686/amp/

Looks like the King Crimson discography is finally coming to streaming!

I think finally having all of their albums readily accessible to the majority of people will be good for the band in the long run. I understand the commitment to stay physical, but in the current day it's simply no longer feasible.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #610 on: June 12, 2019, 01:43:20 AM »
It's official. As of today, all of King Crimson's studio albums are available on Spotify! :woot:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #611 on: June 12, 2019, 01:44:57 AM »
on that note are there any specific KC albums worth checking out? i have both ItCotCK and Red and prefer the latter by a decent margin, so

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #612 on: June 12, 2019, 02:00:31 AM »
on that note are there any specific KC albums worth checking out? i have both ItCotCK and Red and prefer the latter by a decent margin, so
if you like Red, then you'll most likely like Larks' Tounges In Aspic, Starless And Bible Black, THRAK, The Construkction Of Light and The Power To Believe as well.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #613 on: June 12, 2019, 02:21:11 AM »
Yeah, the style between the John Wetton-fronted albums is fairly consistent, so I'd recommend the other two of those (Larks' Tongues In Aspic & Starless and Bible Black). S&BB has probably the most improv of all their albums though, so if you found Providence to be the weakest part of Red, you may not like that one as a sum of all its parts.

(by the way, idk when you changed it, but I really love the art style of your new profile pic. did you draw that yourself?)
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #614 on: June 12, 2019, 02:23:29 AM »
Start with "The Power to believe" and "THRAK". They are modern and easier to digest nowadays.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #615 on: June 12, 2019, 07:01:43 AM »
If you like Red, then definitely check out Larks' Tongues in Aspic and Starless and Bible Black which preceded it.  U.S.A. is the official live release from this era, but there has been a lot of archival stuff released in recent years, though I don't know how much would be on Spotify.

The 80's stuff with Adrian Belew is different but pretty cool if you like Belew and/or Tony Levin.  Bruford is in that band too, and it's a given that any King Crimson album with Bill Bruford should at least be checked out.  Start with Discipline, then maybe Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair if you like Discipline.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #616 on: June 12, 2019, 07:19:06 AM »
KC is all over the place. I can't even remember my progression and I don't even know how to describe them, lol

If I had to do it all again I would say the following are essential for me:

Power to believe
Red
Discipline
Larks tongue 
In the court of the crimson king

After that I would get

Beat
Lizard
Thrak
Wake of poseidon

After that, I filled in the rest but don't really listen to them:

Islands
Starless and bible black
Three of a perfect pair
Scarcity of miracles
Construction of light

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #617 on: June 12, 2019, 07:24:59 AM »
Honestly, I'd start with The Court and work my way through chronologically, so you can appreciate the changes and different line-ups the band went through.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #618 on: June 12, 2019, 07:49:50 AM »
I'd recommend getting the debut, Larks Tongues in Aspic, Red, Discipline and The Power to Believe, and you are set.

And avoid the three albums from 1970-1971. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #619 on: June 12, 2019, 08:00:00 AM »
It's official. As of today, all of King Crimson's studio albums are available on Spotify! :woot:

Been waiting for this for so long. Time to get my Crimson on  :hat
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #620 on: June 12, 2019, 08:30:57 AM »

I want to hear this as you go through.  It's fascinating, and I'm sure you know already, but I'll tell you anyway:  I don't think there's a band out there that has so many distinct styles and vibes.  "ITCOTKC" is NOTHING like "Lizard", is NOTHING like "Red" is NOTHING like "Beat" is NOTHING like "The Power To Believe".    Yeah, Fripp is a constant, but Beat and Lizard... you wouldn't guess they were the same band in a million years.

Oh, by the way, for the previous recommendations, don't forget the live set "The Night Watch"; it's actually the source material for a good chuck of "Starless" (they took the live improv and fashioned it into a series of songs, basically) and it's pretty essential.

EDIT:  If you're into the whole surround sound thing, the Crimson 5.1 remixes are simply put, in my opinion, the best in the industry.  And in my view, even though it's not even a top five Crimson record for me, "Indiscipline" may be the best SOUNDING CD in my collection (now about 1,600 CDs). 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #621 on: June 12, 2019, 08:34:11 AM »
I'm tempted. All I know from King Crimson is two things. I rented whatever album Elephant Talk is on from the library and it fucking blew.

And DT's cover of Lark Tongues. I mean, what is the point of that? It goes absolutely nowhere.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #622 on: June 12, 2019, 08:40:27 AM »
Yeah, the style between the John Wetton-fronted albums is fairly consistent, so I'd recommend the other two of those (Larks' Tongues In Aspic & Starless and Bible Black). S&BB has probably the most improv of all their albums though, so if you found Providence to be the weakest part of Red, you may not like that one as a sum of all its parts.

(by the way, idk when you changed it, but I really love the art style of your new profile pic. did you draw that yourself?)

yeah i'll start there then!
and a friend of mine did the sketch randomly one day, i threw on the colors

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #623 on: June 12, 2019, 09:58:46 AM »

I want to hear this as you go through.  It's fascinating, and I'm sure you know already, but I'll tell you anyway:  I don't think there's a band out there that has so many distinct styles and vibes.  "ITCOTKC" is NOTHING like "Lizard", is NOTHING like "Red" is NOTHING like "Beat" is NOTHING like "The Power To Believe".    Yeah, Fripp is a constant, but Beat and Lizard... you wouldn't guess they were the same band in a million years.

I agree with this statement 100%. There are 3 specific eras (4 if you count the current KC incarnation) of KC. This is what I admire about Fripp...he had the balls to call it quits when he felt he wasn't evolving as a player (or the KC band/musicians for that matter) or if he couldn't accomplish the vision he had for KC. Then he went to teaching (Guitar Circle) and exploring his playing, then he started KC again...then quit again...etc. I truly admire this about Fripp.

My personal favorite is The Power To Believe because it was the first one. Hated it the 1st time I heard it. Went to a Circuit City based on a recommendation from the MP forum. Absolutely couldn't get into it. Then a month later I played it again, and holy balls batman. Wonderful experience.

1 - Power To Believe
2 - Discipline
3 - Thrak
4 - Everything else from 80's, 90's and 2000's
5 - 70s era (this is the only era I really have a hard time digesting it). I really need to start listening to this era again (specially the 40th anniversary remixes). Just don't know what turns me off about 70s Crimson.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #624 on: June 12, 2019, 10:00:41 AM »

Oh, by the way, for the previous recommendations, don't forget the live set "The Night Watch"; it's actually the source material for a good chuck of "Starless" (they took the live improv and fashioned it into a series of songs, basically) and it's pretty essential.

EDIT:  If you're into the whole surround sound thing, the Crimson 5.1 remixes are simply put, in my opinion, the best in the industry.  And in my view, even though it's not even a top five Crimson record for me, "Indiscipline" may be the best SOUNDING CD in my collection (now about 1,600 CDs).

Your excitement is palpable. I'm just having fun, but I'm imagining this post preceded by you running towards the thread screaming, "Wait! WAIT! You must know something first!"  :)

I'll be sure to share thoughts when I get through a few albums.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: June 12, 2019, 11:21:44 AM »
I'm tempted. All I know from King Crimson is two things. I rented whatever album Elephant Talk is on from the library and it fucking blew.

And DT's cover of Lark Tongues. I mean, what is the point of that? It goes absolutely nowhere.

Elephant Talk is from Discipline.  It's like the Power Windows/GUP of the Crimson catalogue. 

If you haven't heard Red, give that a try.  If that doesn't do it, I have a Tesla Anthology you might like.  ;) 

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #626 on: June 12, 2019, 11:33:37 AM »
KC have evolved so much throughout the years that I'd be skeptical of any prog fan who claimed to not like at least one of their studio albums. And now with all of them being on Apple Music and Spotify there's really no excuse to not check them out. Time to marathon their discog for the nth time.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #627 on: June 12, 2019, 12:53:06 PM »
Imagine judging KC based on Elephant Talk.

Edit: Ok he listened to the whole album, but that’s like their goofiest album. I love it though.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:59:06 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline Ruba

« Reply #628 on: June 12, 2019, 02:22:50 PM »
I'm listening to Discipline right now for the first time and man is the studio recording of Indiscipline underwhelming or what. Live recordings I've heard are exciting, but that one felt like Adrian was reading the lyrics from a lyric sheet. And it's so much shorter. That song really comes into life when played life.

Otherwise I'm really liking this.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #629 on: June 12, 2019, 07:22:28 PM »
If you haven't heard Red, give that a try. 

Done!

Red- Fucking monotonous. What's the point?
Fallen Angel-OK
One More Red Nightmare-Somewhat interesting
Providence-WTF is this? Sounds like kids making noise in their parents' basement.
Starless-I mean, this isn't too bad. It isn't too good, either. Last 50 seconds is nice though.

Next??

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol