Author Topic: King Crimson Appreciation Thread  (Read 96240 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: King Crimson Appreciation Thread
« Reply #490 on: November 08, 2013, 06:59:32 PM »
I've been listening to Beat quite a bit lately.

I always kind of ignored it, but its actually pretty solid, if you like 80's era KC.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #491 on: November 09, 2013, 03:29:40 AM »
I find it almost as good as Discipline, to be honest. They actually pulled off those more accessible, slightly mainstream track.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #492 on: November 09, 2013, 07:28:29 AM »
Each of those three albums (Discipline, Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair) has its strengths.  Discpline set the mold of course, but Beat had the feel of a band more comfortable with itself, polished things up in a few ways but also got crazier in some ways.  Three of a Perfect Pair brought back the element of improv which was always part of King Crimson, even in the studio.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #493 on: November 10, 2013, 05:32:03 AM »
I've not heard those three in a while. I should blast them again. I think Discipline is my favourite of the three, but Beat and TOAPP have some really amazing tracks on them, especially Beat, while TOAPP really goes back into the wierd.

Damn, I love the first three on Beat.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #494 on: November 11, 2013, 11:56:28 AM »
What you want is the remaster Steven Wilson did of In The Court Of The Crimson King.

Is his name prominent on the album?  I've been checking thru Amazon and it seems like Wilson re-mastered a few of their albums...but I'm not seeing the specific "Court" re-master...

Does anyone have a link to the exact one I should purchase?  Thank you!
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #495 on: November 11, 2013, 03:46:59 PM »
It's the "40th anniversary edition". For some reason I can't find it on Amazon right now :-\

All SW remixes except for one are  labelled "40th anniversary". The only exception is Red, the 40th anniversary edition uses an older mix, the SW mix is just sold as the 2013 version of Red.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #496 on: June 06, 2014, 05:14:40 PM »
Hell yeah, I'm there  :metal :metal :metal

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/king-crimson-will-reunite-for-three-new-york-city-shows-20140602

Nevermind,

everything is sold out and the lowest ticket availabie is like $360. Even Stub hub is like $180 for the cheapest ticket. Whatever, didn't even want to see them anyway  :'(
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 05:29:03 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: June 06, 2014, 08:20:24 PM »
 :omg: So jealous of everyone attending...
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #498 on: June 06, 2014, 10:02:48 PM »
Nevermind, everything is sold out and the lowest ticket availabie is like $360. Even Stub hub is like $180 for the cheapest ticket. Whatever, didn't even want to see them anyway  :'(

I've been trying to buy tickets online for any of the NYC shows, but for some :censored reason, it keeps popping up as being unavailable when there are clearly some seats still :censored available. Looks like, I'm not the only one with this problem. This might be my first and only chance of ever seeing them live, and the fact that unless I cave in some money for StubHub tickets (which I refuse to do), I'm heartbroken that I won't be seeing them even though I live in the NYC area.  :'(

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #499 on: June 07, 2014, 01:13:36 AM »
:omg: So jealous of everyone attending...

^ This. Damn there not being dates outside of America currently announced.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #500 on: June 07, 2014, 04:27:21 PM »
There's still tickets for Thursday, bought one just now.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Grizz

« Reply #501 on: June 09, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »
Nevermind, everything is sold out and the lowest ticket availabie is like $360. Even Stub hub is like $180 for the cheapest ticket. Whatever, didn't even want to see them anyway  :'(

I've been trying to buy tickets online for any of the NYC shows, but for some :censored reason, it keeps popping up as being unavailable when there are clearly some seats still :censored available. Looks like, I'm not the only one with this problem. This might be my first and only chance of ever seeing them live, and the fact that unless I cave in some money for StubHub tickets (which I refuse to do), I'm heartbroken that I won't be seeing them even though I live in the NYC area.  :'(
Yeah, I'm pretty damn upset. How does a 55 year-old prog band sell 5,000+ seats in 48 hours anyway?
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #502 on: June 09, 2014, 11:36:32 PM »

Yeah, I'm pretty damn upset. How does a 55 year-old prog band sell 5,000+ seats in 48 hours anyway?

55 year-old?! They've been around since 1959?! :facepalm: :lol :P

And are you sure they're offering the max number of seats for the show? Some places don't open all seating for a show, some sections may be closed off or unused for the show.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Grizz

« Reply #503 on: June 10, 2014, 01:48:04 AM »
Grr, 45. And I assume that the vast majority of seats are selling if they paid for 3 nights.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #504 on: June 10, 2014, 10:32:10 AM »
There's a new NYC date added for Sunday 9/21, for those that couldn't get tickets!
https://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=4681

I managed to get a ticket for the Saturday show in New York through the presale. Can't wait!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #505 on: June 10, 2014, 05:20:18 PM »
This whole thing blows.

If Belew was still in the band, I could maybe justify paying $185 for a so so seat, just so I could see them at least once in my life-time, but Jakko is such an unknown quantity.

I like his work, but don't have a clue how he's going to sound singing KC's catalogue. I just don't know. 

Offline Grizz

« Reply #506 on: June 10, 2014, 05:42:50 PM »
There's a new NYC date added for Sunday 9/21, for those that couldn't get tickets!
https://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=4681

I managed to get a ticket for the Saturday show in New York through the presale. Can't wait!
OOOOOH GOTTA GET SOME CASH

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #507 on: June 10, 2014, 05:50:22 PM »
This whole thing blows.

If Belew was still in the band, I could maybe justify paying $185 for a so so seat, just so I could see them at least once in my life-time, but Jakko is such an unknown quantity.

I like his work, but don't have a clue how he's going to sound singing KC's catalogue. I just don't know. 
Jakko toured with the 21st Century Schizoid Band, which focused on the first four King Crimson albums. You could probably track down some recordings to at least hear how he sounds on the early Crimson material.

As for Belew, I love his work with the band, but I'm excited about the new lineup. Apparently, they'll be focusing on reinterpreting the 70's material and Jakko is better suited for that music than Belew, IMO. Hopefully they'll also play new music/improv and we'll see a new studio album next year.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #508 on: June 13, 2014, 05:58:20 PM »
King Crimson isn't about any one person and that includes Robert Fripp.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #509 on: June 13, 2014, 08:03:23 PM »
Just got my B-row mezzanine seats for the Sunday show! Can't wait!!!

But I haven't got a penny to my name now. lol.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #510 on: June 27, 2014, 10:13:20 AM »
I have no idea if this link will work, but it's a video a friend of mine shared on Facebook, shared by someone else.  I cannot describe it.  Well, I could, but that would spoil the surprise.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152559753027813

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #511 on: June 27, 2014, 10:16:30 AM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #512 on: June 27, 2014, 10:27:49 AM »
I guess the link worked.  Heh heh.

Somehow it amuses me that 99% of the people there are just watching some weird musical group playing some weird tune, and two or three people are thinking "Is that... King Crimson?  Holy shit, it is!"

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: June 27, 2014, 10:41:47 AM »
 :rollin

Holy shit!  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #514 on: June 29, 2014, 10:55:10 AM »
Cool! 

If they can to that they should be able to launch into almost anything though.

For some reason, Crazy Train or The Trooper springs to mind.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #515 on: July 01, 2014, 06:01:53 PM »
It looks like we have our first sample of new material from the new King Crimson lineup! It's apparently titled Venturing unto Joy pt 1. Has a very Larks vibe about it! I dig it! :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI4LSgqOQmw
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #516 on: July 01, 2014, 06:29:04 PM »
Something is better than nothing I guess.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #517 on: July 01, 2014, 07:02:35 PM »
Dear god it's happening.

I'm really digging it. Not mind-blowing, but if there's more to come, then bring it.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #518 on: July 01, 2014, 07:10:18 PM »
Gavin + Tony + Robert = me spending money on new music. It could be all three of them farting into a mic for 80 minutes but by god, I will buy it.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #519 on: July 09, 2014, 10:39:22 AM »
Jesus they have THREE drummers now? I'm all for Gavin and Pat Mastelotto together, but a third seems quite excessive.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #520 on: July 09, 2014, 10:43:45 AM »
Jesus they have THREE drummers now? I'm all for Gavin and Pat Mastelotto together, but a third seems quite excessive.

Well, the way I see it, it covers all bases for the band's history of percussion. In the beginning, and through the Wetton and 80's eras, they had extra percussion for sound effects, extra layers, more cymbals and auxiliary stuff. In the 90's, they had double-drumming with two actual drummers doing drum beats and grooves to add to the insane multi-part, polymetric sound of King Crimson.

Now with THREE drummers, they can cover both, by utilizing two drummers major drum beats and grooves, with a third to do the extra stuff. I think it'll add quite a unique layer of intricate performance. Imagine, twelve limbs doing twelve things all at the same time!!!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Grizz

« Reply #521 on: July 09, 2014, 10:54:09 AM »
Well in the sample it sounds quite busy.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #522 on: July 09, 2014, 11:27:31 AM »
King Crimson has always been about experimentation and pushing boundaries.  When the "double trio" first came together, with two drummers, two guitars, and two bass/Stick players, I expected total cacaphony, but was instead amazed by how tight everything sounded, which was the exact opposite.  Everything fit, nothing felt excessive or superfluous.

Fripp is a genius in pretty much all aspects of music, including structure and arrangement.  Are three drummers "necessary"?  Probably not.  Can it work and sound awesome?  Hell, yes!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #523 on: July 09, 2014, 11:29:32 AM »
Personally, I don't think they have enough drummers.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #524 on: July 09, 2014, 11:36:29 AM »