Author Topic: King Crimson Appreciation Thread  (Read 96139 times)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: King Crimson Appreciation Thread
« Reply #455 on: September 24, 2013, 10:33:58 AM »
As he gets older, Robert Fripp writes more and more like an eccentric college professor, and less like an actual human being.

Robert Fripp's ALWAYS been an eccentric college professor.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #456 on: September 24, 2013, 10:50:15 AM »
Its about god damn time they got back together. I can't die happy until I see KC live.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #457 on: September 24, 2013, 10:52:15 AM »
Imustnotscreamwithexcitement.Imustnotscreamwithexcitement.Imustnotscreamwithexcitement.Imustnotscreamwithexcitement.Imustnotscreamwithexcitement.Imustnotscreamwithexcitement.Imustnotscreamwithexcitement.Imustnotscreamwithexcitement.Imustnotscreamwithexcitement.Imustnotscreamwithexcitement.Imustnots creamwithexcitement.Imustnotscreamwithexcitement.Imustnotscreamwithexcitement.Imustnotscreamwithexcitement.Imustnotscreamwithexcitement.

Yeah, uh. This may have made my day, and I thought it was already good with the DT box set arriving.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline adace

« Reply #458 on: September 24, 2013, 11:08:26 AM »
Great to hear. :tup

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #459 on: September 24, 2013, 12:24:26 PM »
The lineup is confirmed!! Gavin Harrison, Bill Rieflin, Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, Mel Collins, Jakko Jakszyk and Robert Fripp!!!

So excited to see Mel Collins in the band. Looks like they'll be playing live this time next year!

https://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=4335

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: September 24, 2013, 12:26:09 PM »
The 8th incarnation of King Crimson will be Gavin Harrison, Bill Rieflin, Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, Mel Collins, Jakko Jakszyk and Robert Fripp.

https://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=4335

:dangerwillrobinson: :dangerwillrobinson: :dangerwillrobinson: :dangerwillrobinson: :dangerwillrobinson: :dangerwillrobinson: :dangerwillrobinson: :dangerwillrobinson: :dangerwillrobinson: :dangerwillrobinson: :dangerwillrobinson:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #461 on: September 24, 2013, 12:34:41 PM »
That's a pretty badass line-up, and its funny that I was just listening to Ministry this morning too.

Online Mladen

« Reply #462 on: September 24, 2013, 12:59:57 PM »
As he gets older, Robert Fripp writes more and more like an eccentric college professor, and less like an actual human being.
Indeed. The only part of the update I understood was this line:

King Crimson is in motion.
Which is good enough for me.  :biggrin:

The line up looks fine, but it's pretty much the same one that recorded A Scarcity of miracles two years ago, right? I don't know why they needed three drummers and I'm slightly disappointed that Adrian Belew isn't in it, but oh well, it's not like I'll be able to catch them live. Never say never, though.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: September 24, 2013, 01:25:36 PM »
Well Mladen, while that is true, I think bringing back Tony and Pat will take this to a different level. A Scarcity of Miracles had a lot of King Crimson but didn't really sound like it, I'm thinking this will

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #464 on: September 24, 2013, 01:35:58 PM »
Nothing sounds like King Crimson.  The 80's band didn't sound like any of the 70's bands, and the 90's band only had a slight connection to the 80's band despite having most of the same members (though only some of the time).  The ProjeKcts each had some of the Crimson sound, but were meant to be offshoots to begin with.

This band will probably sound most similar to the 90's-00's band, but even that is conjecture.  Typically, when King Crimson reforms after a hiatus, Robert has taken the opportunity to reinvent the band.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #465 on: September 24, 2013, 07:10:30 PM »
From this, it could be a serious reinvention:
Writing on his (not yet published) dairy for September 24th Fripp notes "The Point Of Crim-Seeing was of a conventional Back Line – Gavin Harrison, Bill Rieflin, Tony Levin and Pat Matstelotto - reconfigured as the Front Line, with Mel Collins, Jakko Jakszyk and myself as Back Line."
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #466 on: September 24, 2013, 11:59:40 PM »
@Orbert: And that is what I love about King Crimson. You never know what will happen next.

@Milahh: whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #467 on: September 25, 2013, 04:14:34 PM »
Ok, saw a little more, it looks like there will be a tour, but nothing said about original music.  However, something was said about a serious rework of existing material to accommodate the new instrumentation.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #468 on: September 25, 2013, 04:54:03 PM »
Even though Fripp said there's no plans for new music, I would not be surprised if a new album comes out of this lineup. I mean, less than a year ago Fripp had quit the music business and now look what he's doing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #469 on: September 25, 2013, 05:25:26 PM »
Even though Fripp said there's no plans for new music, I would not be surprised if a new album comes out of this lineup. I mean, less than a year ago Fripp had quit the music business and now look what he's doing.

Agreed. Fripp is the definition of unpredictable.

And that's why I didn't freak out too much when he "retired" from music forever.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:32:12 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #470 on: September 25, 2013, 07:19:11 PM »

Agreed. Fripp is the definition of unpredictable.

And that's why I didn't freak out too much when he "retired" from music forever.
Yeah, he even did this, which was probably the least predicable thing for him to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64VGyoIyBgc

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #471 on: September 25, 2013, 08:07:44 PM »
Such a badass

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #472 on: September 27, 2013, 04:23:52 PM »
Nothing sounds like King Crimson.  The 80's band didn't sound like any of the 70's bands, and the 90's band only had a slight connection to the 80's band despite having most of the same members (though only some of the time).  The ProjeKcts each had some of the Crimson sound, but were meant to be offshoots to begin with.

This band will probably sound most similar to the 90's-00's band, but even that is conjecture.  Typically, when King Crimson reforms after a hiatus, Robert has taken the opportunity to reinvent the band.

And that's the beauty of it all.

I'm in.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #473 on: September 29, 2013, 07:37:48 AM »
Surely the 2008/2009 band also had a distinct sound compared to the early 2000s band.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #474 on: September 29, 2013, 10:37:07 AM »
Listening to Red again, I realise I'd forgotten quite how great the bass solo on Providence is, and how great John Wetton's playing all over that album is in general.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #475 on: September 29, 2013, 11:08:25 AM »
Reminds me that Steven Wilson still owes us a high quality stereo remix of Red. Any news if it's ever going to happen?

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #476 on: September 29, 2013, 12:28:50 PM »

Offline me7

« Reply #477 on: September 29, 2013, 03:09:18 PM »
Finally. The 30th anniversary remaster isn't too bad and could stand by itself, but listening to it alongside the Steven Wilson mixes of the other albums makes it weird.

« Reply #478 on: September 29, 2013, 06:00:38 PM »
I'm not sure if I want to put down money for another version of Red when I already have the first.

Maybe if it's much, much better.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #479 on: November 07, 2013, 01:39:39 PM »
I'm just hearing King Crimson for the first time right now - "Epitaph".

It is so beautiful, it's nearly tear-inducing.  Very affecting.   Wow....   :'( :heart

I guess "In The Court of the Crimson King" is an album to get...
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #480 on: November 07, 2013, 01:57:31 PM »
It is.

Be forwarned, however, that it is very different from what King Crimson would later become.  The band is truly progressive in that it has continuously changed its format and sound.  The first couple of albums are somewhat similar, but even then, they pretty much did whatever they wanted, and being consistent with what they'd done previously was not a huge consideration.

Offline sueño

« Reply #481 on: November 07, 2013, 05:30:10 PM »
I *really* like the sound of Epitaph.  I will cautiously explore their other music.    ;)

Thanks YouTube!   :tup
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline me7

« Reply #482 on: November 07, 2013, 06:00:30 PM »
Make sure you get the Steven Wilson remixes (40th anniversary editions), seriously. Remixes and remasters are often lousy but this is a rare exception.

Offline sueño

« Reply #483 on: November 07, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
Get this before I get the "Court" CD?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #484 on: November 07, 2013, 06:24:01 PM »
What you want is the remaster Steven Wilson did of In The Court Of The Crimson King.

« Reply #485 on: November 07, 2013, 10:42:04 PM »
"Epitaph" is one of their best songs, so no surprise you like it so much. :)

Someone already mentioned "Starless," but also check out "Matte Kudasai," "Frame By Frame," "The Night Watch," "In The Wake Of Poseidon" and then, finally, the epic "Lizard." King Crimson runs the gamut from soft and beautiful to some of the most chaotic, abrasive and heavy progressive rock imaginable.  Give "21st Century Schizoid Man," "Larks Tongue In Aspic: Part II," "Thela Hun Ginjeet" and "Cat Food" a listen for examples of their latter sound. :)

Definitely at least listen to In The Court Of The Crimson King. It's a landmark album and while it's not my favorite album by them, everyone should hear it at least once. The 40th Anniversary Edition is the best sounding version, but I don't know how readily available it still is. Might be a bit pricey to get a hold of, but it is worth it. :)

Offline sueño

« Reply #486 on: November 07, 2013, 11:10:18 PM »
I'll give 'em a whirl.  I don't care for harsh,  abrasive, chaotic music of any genre...but I wouldn't have known I didn't like it if I'd never heard it, right?   ;)

Thanks for the suggestions. Discovering new music, to me, is like discovering I love someone. Extremely rare, really exciting...but never as inevitably disappointing.   :-\   ;D

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: November 08, 2013, 07:10:14 AM »
Ever seen a pic of Bob ironing? No? Here's one

https://instagram.com/p/gawH7umN2W/

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #488 on: November 08, 2013, 05:26:58 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Discovering new music, to me, is like discovering I love someone. Extremely rare, really exciting...but never as inevitably disappointing.   :-\   ;D

Extremely rare you searching for new music or extremely rare you really enjoying new music?
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline sueño

« Reply #489 on: November 08, 2013, 06:01:29 PM »

Extremely rare you searching for new music or extremely rare you really enjoying new music?

Extremely rare that I stumble upon new music.  :)

I'm not often *searching* per se...but I see suggestions on music boards or on Facebook, check it out and am very often blown away.  It's great.