Author Topic: King Crimson Appreciation Thread  (Read 96649 times)

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
Re: King Crimson Appreciation Thread
« Reply #420 on: August 20, 2012, 06:22:51 PM »
I unabashedly love ITWoP.  I love every song on it and, IMO, it's their most consistent album from Court through Red.

The one drawback; the good songs don't really compare to the good songs from their other albums.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #421 on: August 20, 2012, 06:58:54 PM »
I also love ITWoP and I especially love The title track. The only track I don't like is devil's triangle. 

Offline tedesco23

« Reply #422 on: August 20, 2012, 09:27:09 PM »
"Health food faggot" is a line of its time.  Today you have vegans, before them were vegetarians.  The ones who may have a legitimate reason for the self-imposed food choices they've made, but who are far outnumbered by those who are only into it because it's trendy, and either way, all of us regular folk are sick to death of hearing about it.  People who were into health food were also quite often, ironically, less than healthy-looking.  Their frail appearance put them into the same convenient clichéd box where the gay boys went.  If you were around in the 70's, and were neither into health food nor homosexual, you might bust out laughing every time you heard the line.

I'm not sure why I feel the need to explain it, but it's just the way it is.  In the 80's we had Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" with the line "The little faggot with the earring and the makeup..."  Politically incorrect beyond measure, by today's standards, but in context, acceptable at the time.  Note that both lines are sung by a character and shouldn't be considered the views of the writer, etc.

Just catching up on this thread, and this little exchange from a couple of months ago needs to be corrected. The line "health food faggot" is NOT a slur against gays; see here:

https://www.elephant-talk.com/wiki/FAQ_-_What_Does_It_All_Mean%3F#What_do_the_lyrics_in_the_.27The_Great_Deceiver.27_.28.22Health_Food_Faggot.22.29_refer_to.3F

"Faggot", before it's anti-gay connotation, was a term for basically a burnt chunk of firewood. Veggie burgers, in their earliest forms, were more unappealing back in the 70s than today; this line refers to a slang term for them (because they looked like little burnt chunks of firewood).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #423 on: August 20, 2012, 09:54:27 PM »
Interesting.  Of course, Brits may well think first of the other slang meaning for "faggot" while Americans certainly would not.  Still, I guess I went and defended something that didn't need any defense.  Not the first time, probably won't be the last.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #424 on: August 20, 2012, 10:02:27 PM »
After listening to Red few times this is my opinion about it:
A fucking classic.
I love beautiful things.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #425 on: August 21, 2012, 12:48:25 PM »
Yesterday I listened to the 3 Wetton studio albums. They're all classics. Red is probably in my top 10, maybe even top 5, albums of all time. It gets better after every listen.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #426 on: August 21, 2012, 12:55:01 PM »
Got ItWoP on vinyl today, while sheltering from the rain (what a convenient record shop, eh?). I was looking at it on the way home, so I earned the nickname "Record Player Man" from the young rapscallions on the bus. I'm hoping having the vinyl will increase my desire to listen to the album again, as it's a great album but when I'm in the mood for something like it, I generally put on ItCotCK, as the main things I listen to ItWoP for are the title track and Cat Food (Cadence And Cascade's pretty good too, but I Talk To The Wind wins for me on that one).
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #427 on: August 21, 2012, 01:34:54 PM »
ITWOP is probably my favorite of the first four albums. CAT FOOD cat food Cat Food AGAIN!

Splitting KC into eras, I would rank them:

1. Thrak to The Power to Believe
2. Discipline to Three of a Perfect Pair
3. Larks' Tongues in Aspic to Red
4. In the Court of the Crimson King to Islands

I really like what Adrian Belew brought to the band. I realize how influential and creative the early stuff was, but it's still my least favorite overall.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #428 on: August 21, 2012, 01:56:54 PM »
For me it's generally the other way round (although The Power To Believe is one of my favourite KC albums), I think it's probably a result of the instrumentation and the very orchestral and jazzy influences in the earlier things that are a little missing from later stuff.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: August 21, 2012, 07:50:55 PM »
1. Thrak to The Power to Believe
2. Discipline to Three of a Perfect Pair
3. Larks' Tongues in Aspic to Red
4. In the Court of the Crimson King to Islands
that's pretty much exactly the ranking i said myself pages and pages ago, so: excellent choices :D

though i've found i rank the Larks-Red KC about equal to Court-Islands KC, as i find there's about an equal balance of brilliance vs. filler, imo.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #430 on: August 31, 2012, 12:47:09 PM »
Lizard has just clicked. I mean I liked it beforehand, but now I think I really get it.

And now I just have that electric feeling of "this music so damn good I think I'm about to die". Is this what is known as a progasm?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #431 on: August 31, 2012, 01:35:28 PM »
It is.  Now go change your shorts.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #432 on: August 31, 2012, 01:38:49 PM »
 :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #433 on: September 05, 2012, 04:14:01 PM »
Lizard has just clicked. I mean I liked it beforehand, but now I think I really get it.

And now I just have that electric feeling of "this music so damn good I think I'm about to die". Is this what is known as a progasm?

If you think the studio tracks are good. Check out the live cuts.....

One of the few bands where you'd swear you would be seconds away from becoming one with the universe.

Offline adace

« Reply #434 on: March 18, 2013, 03:53:21 AM »
So I just found out that an official live DVD was put out last year of KC's concert in Argentina in 1994.
You can order it here: https://www.amazon.com/King-Crimson-Live-Argentina/dp/B007Z1FD7M
and watch some clips at this channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Teimurazart/videos?view=0

edit: looks like there's some focus issues on those clips, but otherwise they seem good

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: March 19, 2013, 01:01:02 PM »
Discipline's Bass and Drum section only available for download. This should be interesting

https://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?artist=6&show=1886
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #436 on: March 19, 2013, 01:04:20 PM »

If you think the studio tracks are good. Check out the live cuts.....

One of the few bands where you'd swear you would be seconds away from becoming one with the universe.

I NEED.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #437 on: June 25, 2013, 01:59:34 AM »
I only own ITCOTCK...but I was checking out several of the SW 40th anniversary sets today at the cd shop...which one would be the best "next step"?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #438 on: June 25, 2013, 02:00:44 AM »
In the Wake of Poseidon or Lark's Tongues in Aspic I'd say. Or Red. I don't know.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:05:56 AM by Sigz »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: June 25, 2013, 03:33:17 AM »
i'd say jump on Red after ITCOTCK — if you try both and prefer the more 'out there' side, go for Poseidon and Lizard; if you prefer the rawk, go for Starless and Larks'. (you'll eventually have to hear Starless and Larks' anyway!)

however, i'd honestly wait for the upcoming Red stereo re-mix coming out with the Road to Red release this year. for some reason, SW didn't bother doing the stereo mix when they put out the 40th anniversary release, but now he and Fripp have gone back to redo it (a wise decision, as the Red mix just doesn't sound as good as the rest remixed by SW). if you were gonna just listen to the surround mix, though, you can grab Red right away.

if you don't wanna wait for the Red mix, perhaps do Larks' instead.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: June 25, 2013, 04:48:41 AM »
In the Wake of Poseidon or Lark's Tongues in Aspic I'd say. Or Red. I don't know.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #441 on: June 25, 2013, 04:52:36 AM »

Yeah, all three of these I like. Larks' I like just as much as the debut, Poseidon's title track is one of the most beautiful I've ever heard, and Red's just an all around fun album.

Personally, I'd save Lizard for last. Easily my least favorite from KC. I don't think there was a single song I liked on there.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #442 on: September 15, 2013, 03:21:25 PM »
Just discovered the song Waiting Man, and I truly love it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #443 on: September 15, 2013, 04:29:08 PM »
Has there ever been a KC album discussion thread?

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #444 on: September 15, 2013, 04:54:51 PM »
You mean a discog thread similar to Orbert's Chicago, Yes, ELP and Genesis threads?

As far as I know, nope.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #445 on: September 15, 2013, 05:12:26 PM »
You mean a discog thread similar to Orbert's Chicago, Yes, ELP and Genesis threads?

As far as I know, nope.

Someone more knowledgeable than myself needs to remedy that.  I would *LOVE* to see a write up of the albums.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #446 on: September 15, 2013, 05:13:17 PM »

Someone more knowledgeable than myself needs to remedy that.  I would *LOVE* to see a write up of the albums.

I second the motion.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #447 on: September 15, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »

Probably on the Portnoy or Steve Hoffman forums....

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: September 24, 2013, 07:26:27 AM »
Why? As Dr. Mike would ask: Why do some things happen and other things not? One possible answer: the meeting of Necessity and Contingency.

Necessity: how King Crimson might return to active service, the form it would take and how it could be done, presented itself on Monday 22nd. July https://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?entry=23873… While the rich conversation and comments continued around me, I looked at a situation-of-interest and how it might be approached: it spoke back, directly. Earlier in my life, an experience like this would have set the next period in motion. Presently, choices generate rich repercussions and are to be nicely considered. But, good to know that creative insight remains available to enquiry. This is one kind of necessity: where a creative insight carries with it a certain demand.

Contingency: the removal / dwindling-effect of four contingencies that restrained and limited my ability to act on choices and decisions, two negative and two positive.

1.     The likely UMG settlement

2.     The non-industry dispute, although without resolution and without agreement, has a de facto position close to that intended.

3.     The almost-completion of The Guitar Circle book.

4.    The completion of the DU Reading Project.

I note also the Minx’s support, and willing-availability of  encouraging Business Persons.

So, King Crimson is in motion. This is a very different reformation to what has gone before: seven players, four English and three American, with three drummers.

The Seven-Headed Beast of Crim is in Go! mode.

From this to a very tasty supper and good conversation, as is always the case when Mr. Bill comes to visit.

Source: https://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?artist&show&member=3&entry=24091

:dangerwillrobinson:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #449 on: September 24, 2013, 07:41:13 AM »
As he gets older, Robert Fripp writes more and more like an eccentric college professor, and less like an actual human being.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: September 24, 2013, 07:54:53 AM »
As he gets older, Robert Fripp writes more and more like an eccentric college professor, and less like an actual human being.

He's announcing King Crimson is back and that's what you pay attention to? Show some emotion god dammit!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #451 on: September 24, 2013, 08:09:37 AM »
I like King Crimson a lot.  But not everything they touch is golden.  I was good with them up through the 80's, and even into the 90's with the double trio.  But a seven-piece band, with three drummers?  I'm looking forward to checking it out, but as with anything Robert Fripp says, I'll believe it when I see it.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #452 on: September 24, 2013, 09:14:18 AM »
I must admit, that update leaves me more than a little confused, but he's saying Crimson is back again?

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #453 on: September 24, 2013, 09:16:33 AM »
I must admit, that update leaves me more than a little confused, but he's saying Crimson is back again?
Yep, they're back!!! With 7 members (3 of them are drummers)!

So excited about this!!!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #454 on: September 24, 2013, 09:42:20 AM »
Oh man this is exciting. I hope there will be a new album this time.