Author Topic: King Crimson Appreciation Thread  (Read 95546 times)

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Re: King Crimson Appreciation Thread
« Reply #175 on: March 31, 2011, 07:57:11 PM »
The Steven Wilson 5.1 surround mix of LTIA is essentially complete!
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #176 on: April 01, 2011, 07:55:49 PM »
The Steven Wilson 5.1 surround mix of LTIA is essentially complete!
Finally!

I can't wait.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2011, 03:32:14 AM »
Bill Bruford came to my music college to do a series of lectures about music. I attended a few. They were quite interesting.

Not just about drumming, but music as a whole.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2011, 08:08:35 AM »
Bill Bruford is so cool.

Years ago, a friend of mine saw King Crimson, and we were talking about it afterwards.  I mentioned how Bruford seemed the perfect drummer for Crimson, with his thing for coming up with any kind of sound he thinks will fit, combined with his innate sense of discipline and restraint in his playing.  My friend goes "Yeah, I was talking to him about it, and..."

Obviously this is where my jaw was supposed to drop, and it did.  The show was at a smallish place near Detroit, and the band hung out afterwards and talked a bit with the fans.  Not a formal meet-and-greet or anything, but Belew and Bruford went and mingled a bit, so my friend got to chat with him Bruford for a while.  Said he's a very personable, outgoing guy, which fits with everything else I've heard about him.  Belew and Levin also seem like super cool guys.  Fripp didn't come out.  He was probably in the dressing room practicing licks or something.

Offline xeper

« Reply #179 on: April 03, 2011, 08:21:26 PM »
The live KC release I listen to the most:

https://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?artist=16&show=1301

Personnel
Robert Fripp:guitar
Adrian Belew:guitar & vocals
Tony Levin:bass,Stick and vocals
Gavin Harrison: drums and percussion
Pat Mastelotto:drums and percussion
:hefdaddy

Offline darkshade

« Reply #180 on: April 03, 2011, 10:12:39 PM »
Fripp didn't come out.  He was probably in the dressing room practicing licks or something.

Probably. Him and Myung should record an album together

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2011, 10:11:24 AM »
Bill is very down to earth. He doen't carry himself like a pretentious rock star or anything.

Although, he didn't like many of my opinions on music  :biggrin:

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2011, 10:36:21 AM »

Like what?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2011, 07:53:14 PM »

Like what?

He doesn't like Pro Tools and the like. I said I dont mind it using copy and paste, even though I prefer to play the whole song. I said you can get songs recorded super fast, super cheap. He wasn't having it  :biggrin:

Offline darkshade

« Reply #184 on: April 04, 2011, 08:09:51 PM »

Like what?

He doesn't like Pro Tools and the like. I said I dont mind it using copy and paste, even though I prefer to play the whole song. I said you can get songs recorded super fast, super cheap. He wasn't having it  :biggrin:

he knows how it used to be, recording during the 70s and 80s (and 90s too)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: April 05, 2011, 06:16:25 AM »
Yeah, he also said he could never be in a traditional rock band as playing the same 4/4 backbeat for every song every night would be boring.

If I was in a huge band playing arenas , tbh that would not bore me in the slightest.   :tup

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: April 05, 2011, 07:16:01 AM »
Listening to ITCOTCK for the first time in a long time. I had forgotten what a great song 21st Century Schizoid Man is. Has anyone heard Ozzy's cover? Did somebody notice it is very very similar to Iron Man?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2011, 01:50:44 PM »
I got a CD of ITCOTCK ages ago and have listened to it to death. Today I was walking past a second hand music shop and went in to see a vinyl of "larks tongues in aspic" staring at me. £5 later I own what I think is a very good album.
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: April 29, 2011, 11:30:14 PM »
Bumped to say Starless is one of the best songs ever. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2011, 02:43:57 PM »
King Crimson fans. I'm thinking of doing a KC survivor. Any of you interested in participating?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #190 on: May 06, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »
Ooh, I'm very, VERY interested.  :tup :tup :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #191 on: May 06, 2011, 03:11:32 PM »
Yeah, go for it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: May 06, 2011, 03:22:37 PM »
I was thinking of doing that after I was done my PT survivor, but I'll be happy with you doing it. The sooner the better. :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #193 on: May 07, 2011, 03:48:44 PM »
The Devil's Triangle. :hefdaddy

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #194 on: May 07, 2011, 08:19:37 PM »
Bumped to say Starless is one of the best songs ever. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

:tup
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #195 on: May 08, 2011, 11:57:54 AM »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #196 on: May 08, 2011, 01:40:47 PM »
My first teaching gig was 9th grade math, everything from Pre-Algebra, Geometry, to Algebra II/Trig.  I was in my classroom after school listening to Red on my boombox, grading papers, and some of my students stopped in.  I figured they had questions or wanted to talk about a test or something, but they were killing time before a game, just hanging out at the school, and decided to visit.  We chatted for a while about whatever.

When "Starless" started, I said "Shhh!  We have to listen to this."  Let it play for a while.  At some point they asked me what the song was about.  I told them that as best as I could work out, it's about chilling, watching the sun go down, letting it get dark around you, then completely dark, and contemplating life, the universe, and everything (yeah yeah, but they didn't know).

When the fast part finally hit, it was like nothing they'd ever heard before.  One of them (a trumpet player in the band) asked "What time signature is this?"  Ahh, excellent question.  I had no idea.  Never figured it out before.  I told him I didn't know, but it was some bizarro time.

"Yeah, sounds like cut time" says the other, and you could see the first one nearly collapse from embarassment.  I told them it was like 7/8 or 11/16 or whatever, something like that.  They didn't realize that such things even existed; they'd only ever played tunes in band in 4/4, maybe 3/4, and cut time was like whoa!  So anyway, I hopefully expanded their brains a little bit with that, at least their musical brains.  I was their math teacher.  It was my job.

That's what I think of when I hear "Starless".

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2011, 07:04:04 AM »
That's a great story Orbert.  You've got some good ones, including the one about your band playing some Tarkus and the bartender getting all excited about it.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #198 on: May 09, 2011, 11:24:34 AM »
Yeah, that was fun, too.  I kinda feel like my goal has been to spread the prog wherever I go.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: May 09, 2011, 11:49:31 AM »
Yeah, that was fun, too.  I kinda feel like my goal has been to spread the prog wherever I go.

That is an amazing goal and it seems so far you've been succeeding. Keep it up  :tup

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: May 12, 2011, 06:14:01 AM »
I just went here https://www.burningshed.com/store/kingcrimson/multiproduct/313/2188/ to see the release date of A Scarcity of Miracles and realized there is a video below for one of the songs. I think it's a beautiful tune.
Thoughts?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #201 on: May 12, 2011, 10:42:45 AM »
Wow, I just listened to it for the first time, I didn't know it's there. A very nice tune indeed, hopefully it's a grower. It's great to have new King Crimson music...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: June 02, 2011, 08:36:18 AM »
So, the new King Crimson album has been out there for a couple of days now. Anyone has gotten a chance to listen to it yet?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #203 on: June 02, 2011, 03:03:17 PM »
Whoa, it's out?

Gotta find it.  :)

Online The Letter M

« Reply #204 on: June 02, 2011, 03:57:57 PM »
Just ordered it yesterday from Amazon (along with Blackfield's Welcome To My DNA... I know, getting it a little late), so hopefully I get it in by next week!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline unklejman

« Reply #205 on: June 03, 2011, 08:09:21 AM »
So I bought In the Court of the Crimson King. While I appreciate it, it really doesn't do a whole lot for me. I bought it because I've heard some KC on Pandora and liked it, but I cannot remember any of the songs/albums. I thought I'd start chronologically but.. should I continue, or should I skip to a later album, and which one?

Also:

they'd only ever played tunes in band in 4/4, maybe 3/4, and cut time was like whoa!

lol wut? That school needs a new band director. I played this my sophomore year in highschool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yjjARIWjjA
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:15:20 AM by unklejman »

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #206 on: June 03, 2011, 08:47:48 AM »
So, the new King Crimson album has been out there for a couple of days now. Anyone has gotten a chance to listen to it yet?

If you're talking about the Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins record, I got it. Spun it once so far, but it's really, really good. A definite departure from the typical KC, so I can see why they didn't release it under that name, but it's a very beautiful record.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: June 03, 2011, 09:14:01 AM »

If you're talking about the Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins record, I got it. Spun it once so far, but it's really, really good. A definite departure from the typical KC, so I can see why they didn't release it under that name, but it's a very beautiful record.

That's great to hear. I'll try to get it next week while I'm in Chicago.

So I bought In the Court of the Crimson King. While I appreciate it, it really doesn't do a whole lot for me. I bought it because I've heard some KC on Pandora and liked it, but I cannot remember any of the songs/albums. I thought I'd start chronologically but.. should I continue, or should I skip to a later album, and which one?

KC has several different stages. I don't know exactly what you heard on Pandora, but if you didn't like ITCOTCK you should try Red, or maybe Discipline. Two very very different records but those two plus ITCOTCK make the top 3.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #208 on: June 03, 2011, 12:30:53 PM »
KC has several different stages. I don't know exactly what you heard on Pandora, but if you didn't like ITCOTCK you should try Red, or maybe Discipline. Two very very different records but those two plus ITCOTCK make the top 3.

I just listened to Starless on youtube and that is definitely more along the lines of the stuff I liked. I'll put Red on my to buy list.

Online glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: June 03, 2011, 09:27:21 PM »
they'd only ever played tunes in band in 4/4, maybe 3/4, and cut time was like whoa!

lol wut? That school needs a new band director. I played this my sophomore year in highschool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yjjARIWjjA

For a highschool it looks like you just have an enormous band program.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.