Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 547581 times)

Offline DTA

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #7280 on: April 11, 2024, 09:03:53 AM »
I really liked The Great adventure as well, but no album since had an inpact on me as a whole.

For some reason I thought TGA came out before L&T. Yeah that one is excellent too. I&D just came and went for me unfortunately and I have no desire to hear it again. Same with Sola Gratia, The Exorcist, and probably Joseph 1/2 if I ever listened to them.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #7281 on: April 11, 2024, 09:25:46 AM »
Sola Gratia was ok, but I never revisit it. It, along with JCTE and what I’ve heard of the the Joseph albums just sounds like Neal by numbers. It’s just him going through the motions. Innocence and Danger was the last album from him that I cared for.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7282 on: April 11, 2024, 10:12:29 AM »
Sola Gratia was ok, but I never revisit it. It, along with JCTE and what I’ve heard of the the Joseph albums just sounds like Neal by numbers. It’s just him going through the motions. Innocence and Danger was the last album from him that I cared for.
This all fits me as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7283 on: April 11, 2024, 12:07:33 PM »
For some reason I thought TGA came out before L&T. Yeah that one is excellent too. I&D just came and went for me unfortunately and I have no desire to hear it again. Same with Sola Gratia, The Exorcist, and probably Joseph 1/2 if I ever listened to them.

"Innocence and Danger" is one of my favorite albums of all time. 

Honestly, I'm biased; I love Neal, he's entertained me to unmeasurable levels over the years, and yet for me, Neal is the spark, the key, but his work is elevated by the players around him.  The Joseph albums - for me - suffer for the lack of the rest of the Neal Morse Band.   I have to be honest, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but as happy as I am about Mike rejoining Dream Theater, the fact that it looks like it's not a given that Randy and Mike will be involved with Neal projects going forward is going to impact my excitement about them.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7284 on: April 11, 2024, 12:13:56 PM »
I've listened to around a dozen or so Neal albums and I&D is the only one that stands out to me (and the only one I go back to). For the amount of material he puts out a lot of it is very similar/samey.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7285 on: April 11, 2024, 02:18:00 PM »
I love Neal, he's entertained me to unmeasurable levels over the years, and yet for me, Neal is the spark, the key, but his work is elevated by the players around him.  The Joseph albums - for me - suffer for the lack of the rest of the Neal Morse Band.   I have to be honest, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but as happy as I am about Mike rejoining Dream Theater, the fact that it looks like it's not a given that Randy and Mike will be involved with Neal projects going forward is going to impact my excitement about them.

This is where I'm at. I LOVE what Neal has given us over the years. But I do agree that the players he's had involved in the process are a big part of that as well. Without that cast of characters involved.....just not all that interested to be honest. Especially being that....as was mentioned....a lot of this recent content is essentially things/sounds/arrangements that we've heard a thousand times from him already.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7286 on: April 11, 2024, 04:22:24 PM »
Count me among the group that finds I&D his last great prog album. Even though I've gotten both Joseph albums, I don't think I've listened to them more than once each, same with JCTE. They're FINE albums, I'm sure, but something about them just doesn't bring me back. My willingness to spin Neal related works has waned in recent years, as well, unless it's Transatlantic, Flying Colors, or the DMJ trio albums, all of which are groups where he isn't the main or primary composer. I like him in his more collaborative efforts, it seems, so I hope the project with Keaggy and Thompson comes to fruition since that sounds the most intriguing to me.

As for his singer-songwriter stuff, it's very good, but I rarely go back to it. I enjoyed Songs From November, and I've maybe listened to Life & Times a couple of times, but I can't say I'm rushing to pre-order the new one. But his work with Nick and Ross is just top-notch and I love their vocal interplay together.

Over-all, Neal is still one of my favorite all-time composers and musicians, but I'm at the point where I only revisit his stuff if I'm in the mood to marathon stuff in the lead-up to a new major release, and considering Transatlantic is probably done, NMB might not do a fifth album for awhile, and Flying Colors is a big question mark, I don't see any more Neal Morse Marathons coming anytime soon.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #7287 on: April 11, 2024, 04:26:50 PM »
I’ve preferred Neal’s singer-songwriter stuff to his prog stuff for a while. I just don’t think his solo prog stuff/NMB is all that good. Not all of his singer songwriter stuff is either, but I tend to connect better with the poppier side of his stuff since he initially went solo.

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #7288 on: April 12, 2024, 06:34:27 AM »
I don't know about everyone else, but Neal releases so much music that it's created a "mental" state for each grouping of his releases. Like how phone companies release a flagship product and then a budget product. The flagship product is the super interesting one and the budget products are still well worth paying attention to but are "minor" releases. For me it's like this:

Flagship Releases
Every Spock's Beard album
Every solo album up to & including Momentum
Transatlantic*
Flying Colors*
Every NMB album excluding The Grand Experiment
MorseFest*
DMJ

* to indicate exceptions, see below

Non-flagship Releases
Singer-songwriter albums
Worship albums
Covert to Cover albums
JCTE
Joseph 1 & 2
Transatlantic live albums except The Whirlwind (no idea why that one feels different to me)
Flying Colors live albums
MorseFests 2018-202
I&D: Live in Hamburg

Doesn't count pandemic releases
Sola Gratia

I don't know: maybe it's a marketing thing, maybe it's a taste thing, but he has a clear line of "maximum effort" albums and another line of "high effort but not so special" albums. The last "big" release in my mind was I&D, and I'm waiting for the next NMB album before I think we'll see another "flagship" release.

and just FTR I own and love every single one of this albums, including his live albums (excluding the cover albums). This is not a criticism of albums I've deemed here non-flagship.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 07:36:09 AM by Pebsie »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7289 on: April 12, 2024, 07:16:48 AM »
I kind of like how you've done that.  I feel sort of the same way, though I have to admit I just can't really get into the Spock's Beard stuff.   FOR ME, with only a few exceptions, it's not up to the same level as the later "Flagship" records.    I also would quibble with excepting "The Grand Experiment", since it contains two of his five best songs (Waterfall and Alive Again, which is my favorite Neal Morse epic by a long shot). 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #7290 on: April 12, 2024, 08:54:56 AM »
But then one could argue, that a record like JSTE with all the different singers and the musical elements is more special (or needs more effort) than a Transatlantic record, where four guys jam for a few days and call it an album. Yeah, I know there's more to it but I strongly disagree that with some of his albums Neal purposely puts in less effort than in others. And just because a song is more "simple" doesn't mean it's easier to write.

Maybe it's because I'm a big fan of JSTE and really like Sola Gratia and the Joseph albums. I&D on the other hand didn't grab me and still doesn't, as well as all the Transatlantic records save the first two. All not bad, but all not really great either, although I know I'm in the minority with this opinion.

And the "Morse of the same" critic isn't without truth, but it goes back to his Spock's Beard and first solo record days, so it's nothing new. But maybe he now has reached such an immense number of published records that it's more apparent that not every record is really unique.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7291 on: April 12, 2024, 09:04:38 AM »
Coincidentally, that list of "Flagship releases" is almost entirely through Inside Out Music. Pretty sure the promotional push those albums and bands get is mostly due to being through a big(ger) label.

His other releases through Radiant and Frontier Records definitely don't get the reach or attention that Inside Out or Mascot Records get, and it shows.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #7292 on: April 12, 2024, 09:27:01 AM »
I agree Neal's output has become a bit "samey" the last few years, but he's also done so much that it's a bit hard to come up with something fresh every single time. The man is a music writing machine, he just can't stand still. I guess that's really the problem here, all the stuff he keeps releasing in short periods of time.

A bit of a different opinion to what the others here have said, but I just don't connect at all with his singer/songwriter stuff. The stuff with Nick and Ross doesn't do anything for me either, it's the prog stuff keeps me engaged. Sure, every new prog album should have the NMB players ideally, but that doesn't mean he isn't putting out quality content, it's just that he has so much stuff coming that it gets tiring. I bet the recent prog albums would've been a lot better received if they were released in a different time period.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kram

« Reply #7293 on: April 12, 2024, 10:18:46 AM »
I agree Neal's output has become a bit "samey" the last few years, but he's also done so much that it's a bit hard to come up with something fresh every single time. The man is a music writing machine, he just can't stand still. I guess that's really the problem here, all the stuff he keeps releasing in short periods of time.

A bit of a different opinion to what the others here have said, but I just don't connect at all with his singer/songwriter stuff. The stuff with Nick and Ross doesn't do anything for me either, it's the prog stuff keeps me engaged. Sure, every new prog album should have the NMB players ideally, but that doesn't mean he isn't putting out quality content, it's just that he has so much stuff coming that it gets tiring. I bet the recent prog albums would've been a lot better received if they were released in a different time period.
I agree he's just too prolific. If he didn't release anything, for say 3-4 years, there would be so much more anticipation for something new from him.  Where as now, it feels like 3-4 releases every year or so.

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #7294 on: April 12, 2024, 03:28:41 PM »
Anyone here that ordered the MF22 Transatlantic box set check out their Blu-rays yet? The Friday night show is skipping a lot for me (In Held ‘Twas In I in particular). There didn’t seem to be any damaging to the packaging and the disc itself looks fine to me (no scuffs / scratches), so I’m wondering if it was an issue with the pressing.

Edit: I should have mentioned that this was the box set from Radiant.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7295 on: April 12, 2024, 04:16:09 PM »
I ordered from LaserCD and haven’t gotten mine yet, but someone in the Transatlantic thread mentioned having similar issues and they also ordered from Radiant.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7296 on: April 13, 2024, 11:05:45 PM »
A few albums in the works, per the Inner Circle letter.

New singer/songwriter album, "Late Bloomer"...

A new prog solo album...

And the project with Chester Thompson, Phil Keaggy, and Byron House...

In. Hope there's a tour for both of these.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7297 on: April 14, 2024, 01:06:22 AM »
Anyone here that ordered the MF22 Transatlantic box set check out their Blu-rays yet? The Friday night show is skipping a lot for me (In Held ‘Twas In I in particular). There didn’t seem to be any damaging to the packaging and the disc itself looks fine to me (no scuffs / scratches), so I’m wondering if it was an issue with the pressing.

Edit: I should have mentioned that this was the box set from Radiant.

I ordered from  Roine and got mine on wednesday.

I have watched both BRs and they were both in fine quality.

Great release.... wonderful to hear Transatlatic supplemented by so many additional musiscians / singers.

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #7298 on: April 16, 2024, 07:38:55 AM »
In. Hope there's a tour for both of these.

I'm still holding out hope that we get a Neal Morse solo tour some point soon, running through songs from his back catalogue + Sola Gratia, Joseph and JCTE. Those albums - especially Sola Gratia - really deserved a tour imo, especially with how good MF20 was.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7299 on: April 16, 2024, 08:34:32 AM »
I'm still holding out hope that we get a Neal Morse solo tour some point soon, running through songs from his back catalogue + Sola Gratia, Joseph and JCTE. Those albums - especially Sola Gratia - really deserved a tour imo, especially with how good MF20 was.

I'd take an acoustic solo tour like he did for Life and Times...

Was very nice!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7300 on: April 16, 2024, 08:56:05 AM »
The last Inner Circle letter did mention a solo acoustic tour in May/June. No dates announced though.

Remember when I wrote about wanting to do some church/coffee house events in May and June? Well, I'm delighted to say that some people have responded and we have some events coming up. I'm really excited about those too.

I'm going to be doing them solo acoustic, doing music from my catalogue and a few new songs, probably with a little bit of instrument looping. I plan to tell some of my story, too, and hang out afterwards and chat with people.  And I'd love to have you come and bring your friends.

Dates coming very soon....

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7301 on: April 16, 2024, 09:45:25 AM »
Would love if that came anywhere near me.

Saw him solo in Stockholm with Roine Stolt as guest.

Met both in the lobby afterwards. Had a chat with Neal.

Loved the setlist and the performance  looping was really impressive to me...

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neal-morse/2018/sodra-teatern-stockholm-sweden-63ed56d3.html
Another soloalbum and tour like that would be great in my book.

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #7302 on: April 16, 2024, 11:45:54 AM »
I was at the London show and it was a really good night. Tickets were only like £15 as I recall so I had enough to buy a shirt for once. Was a very cool and intimate gig.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7303 on: April 16, 2024, 01:36:42 PM »
If he comes to Europe with that tour, I'd be a fool to pass on that opportunity to finally see Neal.

Online HOF

« Reply #7304 on: April 16, 2024, 02:30:00 PM »
The last Inner Circle letter did mention a solo acoustic tour in May/June. No dates announced though.

He has a show coming up in Montgomery, AL that I saw on FB this weekend.

Offline emtee

« Reply #7305 on: April 16, 2024, 03:23:04 PM »
I own all Spock's up to Octane and all are top notch for me. They have Kansas DNA in their music and all of them are stellar musicians.

I own Testimony, One and ?. All are fantastic but they represent everything I need from this band. The formula became too similar for me.

I own all TA except for Kaleidoscope and their last one. All superb but again, they ran their course.

And I own I&D which I really love.

But for me, I'm done with NM now.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #7306 on: April 18, 2024, 03:11:23 AM »
I own all Spock's up to Octane and all are top notch for me. They have Kansas DNA in their music and all of them are stellar musicians.

I own Testimony, One and ?. All are fantastic but they represent everything I need from this band. The formula became too similar for me.

I own all TA except for Kaleidoscope and their last one. All superb but again, they ran their course.

And I own I&D which I really love.

But for me, I'm done with NM now.

Have you listened to Sola Scriptura? Or the other NMB albums?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #7307 on: April 20, 2024, 08:11:13 PM »

Agreed. Sola Scriptura, Similitude and Great Adventure are greater than every other album listed IMO.

--------
RE: Acoustic Tour

I saw him on the Life and Times tour (another favorite Neal album of mine), and it was so much fun. Sat right in front of him in a small room that had about 50-70 seats. Met him after (for the second time), he's super nice. And I remember it being cheap enough to buy some of the worship albums he had on sale that I didn't have. I would recommend going to this upcoming tour if you get the chance.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline emtee

« Reply #7308 on: April 21, 2024, 03:29:35 AM »

Yes. I've heard everything, just decided not to buy them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7309 on: April 22, 2024, 06:17:07 AM »
For some reason I've found myself inadvertently binging on Neal lately.  Been in a weird mood, weird place and that seems to be the only thing that has been scratching the itch. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7310 on: April 23, 2024, 05:23:18 PM »
I'd take an acoustic solo tour like he did for Life and Times...

Was very nice!

Saw that. Hoping for something like it.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #7311 on: April 24, 2024, 03:13:01 AM »
For some reason I've found myself inadvertently binging on Neal lately.  Been in a weird mood, weird place and that seems to be the only thing that has been scratching the itch.

When I get in the mood to listen to Neal. I can't listen to anything else for a while.  I'll jump between solo, NMB, Transatlantic and old Spock's Beard. Sometimes Flying Colors.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7312 on: Today at 08:07:33 AM »
Solo acoustic tour dates just announced

Hello there!

I was keen to get out and do some church services and solo shows, so a few months ago I put the suggestion out there and I’m delighted to announce 10 events across the US in May and June! (Sorry if I’m not coming near you, but these are the places that I got invited to).

They are a mixture of formats - some “An Evening with” concerts, some church services, and some outdoor events. They are solo shows so I’ll have my guitar, keyboard, loop pedal and … well who knows who might even join me! I’m excited to be able to play a whole range of music and maybe even some requests from you guys!!

I will also be giving some of my testimony so if you know people who might be blessed by that, please bring 'em along. Also, as time permits, I will hang out afterwards and chat with you and your friends.

None of the events are ticketed and have no admission charges!  If you want any specific details about the events or the venues please reach out to the churches or locations directly!

All the details are included here with links to the church / venues websites -> https://nealmorse.com/tour-dates/

I am really feeling these will be very special. Come and join us!

Thanks and blessings,

Neal

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7313 on: Today at 01:31:25 PM »
I'll probably head to that date in Missouri, that church isn't too far away from me and it's free.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind