Author Topic: My thoughts on 'Dream Theater' (***SPOILERS***)  (Read 152760 times)

Offline eosforum

Re: My thoughts on 'Dream Theater' (***SPOILERS***)
« Reply #210 on: August 16, 2013, 08:09:03 AM »
Are there songs that are difficult to follow on the first listen? You know, songs that you cannot reproduce in your head unless you hear them quite a few times.

Also, are JLB's vocals higher or lower (register-wise, not in the mix) than ADTOE?

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #211 on: August 16, 2013, 08:14:39 AM »
Are there songs that are difficult to follow on the first listen? You know, songs that you cannot reproduce in your head unless you hear them quite a few times.

Also, are JLB's vocals higher or lower (register-wise, not in the mix) than ADTOE?

Yes, The Bigger Picture and Behind the Veil are most hazy in my memory.

In general quite similar, but the high sections are higher than anything on ADTOE.

Offline Dtman2112

« Reply #212 on: August 16, 2013, 08:38:04 AM »
Any proggy breakdowns with clean guitars? Or is it all heavy, distorted guitars with the occasional mellow, ambient section?

Offline JPX

Re: My thoughts on 'Dream Theater'
« Reply #213 on: August 16, 2013, 09:17:43 AM »
FAS is very symphonic, very heavy. Reminds me a lot of Oculus Ex Inferni. It also includes the drum section from the latest In the Studio clip.

Oh man, I love Oculus Ex Inferni. DT would do well to borrow some SX production values in general.  ;)

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #214 on: August 16, 2013, 09:25:05 AM »
I love Symphony X but I really dislike Oculus. Not sure what to think :-\

Offline dparrott

« Reply #215 on: August 16, 2013, 09:26:46 AM »

But let me reiterate, despite having familiar elements, this does not sound like any other DT album. It's new ground for the band.

This is what I am most excited about.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #216 on: August 16, 2013, 09:33:51 AM »
Wow, just got caught up reading through this whole topic, I don't have any particular questions at the moment but, like many others have said, thanks cyberdrummer!!  :tup

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #217 on: August 16, 2013, 10:06:53 AM »

Don't get me wrong, it's not identical to Oculus, but it's that kind of symphonic, orchestral style, with a signature DT twist. I don't recall there being any choral voices, however.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2013, 10:08:31 AM »
Oh, there's choral voices...

Offline JPX

« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2013, 10:08:54 AM »

Dude, that sentance is an oxymoron.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #220 on: August 16, 2013, 10:13:19 AM »

You mean, because Symphony X fans should never use the word "think" to describe something they are capable of doing?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline adastra

« Reply #221 on: August 16, 2013, 10:13:24 AM »
this is the best topic in ages! I guess there is more useful stuff here in 6 pages than on the DT12 topic in 160 pages.
I finally got home from work and had a chance to throughly read this whole topic!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #222 on: August 16, 2013, 10:20:35 AM »
Oh, there's choral voices...

In FAS? Well that's my first memory lapse!

Offline JPX

« Reply #223 on: August 16, 2013, 10:21:07 AM »

You mean, because Symphony X fans should never use the word "think" to describe something they are capable of doing?

I was just kidding. To me OEI is like the definition of modern SX. I didn't mean to imply that their opinion wasn't valid. I probably should have used an emoticon after to indicate that it was said in jest. Apologies.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #224 on: August 16, 2013, 10:22:47 AM »

I was just kidding. To me OEI is like the definition of modern SX. I didn't mean to imply that their opinion wasn't valid. I probably should have used an emoticon after to indicate that it was said in jest. Apologies.

I was kidding too.  But Symphony X fans are easy targets, so...  :symphonyx:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JPX

« Reply #225 on: August 16, 2013, 10:24:37 AM »
Mmmmm. Pizza.

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: August 16, 2013, 10:27:04 AM »
Just got home from attending, have not had time to read through the whole thread, but think me and my wife were sat next to Cyber.
My thoughts were that the 5.1 mix might not be the best to listen to as the vocals tend to get lost in the mix, MM drums are well up front.
On this album MM & JMX work the best as a rhythm section than on any previous album I can think of.
JMX bass sound is far dirtier than previously. Even though there are some INSANE drum parts at times MM leaves space for other in the band where before MP might have filled the space with a fill run or something.
The Rush sounds are still there, the beginning of 1 track made me think of a Farewell to Kings era Rush.
The underlying felling is that this is METAL, almost reminiscent of Train of Thought.
Sorry if this is a fragmented review but my 2 year old is crawling all over me.

Offline adastra

« Reply #227 on: August 16, 2013, 10:27:36 AM »
Mmmmm. Pizza.

Mmmmmmmmmmm..... Pizza....... Don't have any!  But I have BEER!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #228 on: August 16, 2013, 10:29:28 AM »
Just got home from attending, have not had time to read through the whole thread, but think me and my wife were sat next to Cyber.
My thoughts were that the 5.1 mix might not be the best to listen to as the vocals tend to get lost in the mix, MM drums are well up front.
On this album MM & JMX work the best as a rhythm section than on any previous album I can think of.
JMX bass sound is far dirtier than previously. Even though there are some INSANE drum parts at times MM leaves space for other in the band where before MP might have filled the space with a fill run or something.
The Rush sounds are still there, the beginning of 1 track made me think of a Farewell to Kings era Rush.
The underlying felling is that this is METAL, almost reminiscent of Train of Thought.

Were you the guys who spilled the beer? :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #229 on: August 16, 2013, 10:30:41 AM »

These two have got me excited
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #230 on: August 16, 2013, 10:30:57 AM »
+1 for mmmmmm pizza!

This sounds like a mix of TOT, 6DOIT, I&W but yet doesn't sound like any of them.  That's the way I like it! 

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #231 on: August 16, 2013, 10:58:38 AM »
JMX bass sound is far dirtier than previously.

Even more dirty? I always thought that was one of the major drawbacks about DT the last few years to begin with - the dirty bass sound that's competing with the guitars in the same register and making sure he gets buried. As a bassist I can't say that his tone has sounded good since Six Degrees and parts of TOT. Even more dirt will certainly not make it better IMO.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #232 on: August 16, 2013, 11:11:06 AM »
Well, I enjoyed how JM sounds on ADTOE...he could be louder, but the tone is fine. I just hope he doesn't sound TOO dirty, as he did back in BCSL...low and dirty.

Offline adastra

« Reply #233 on: August 16, 2013, 11:14:45 AM »
mmm.. Myung decided to get down and dirty...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: August 16, 2013, 11:15:14 AM »
Nothing will bury a bass like over distortion.

Slight rumble but with a nice fat upper - mid range will make it stand out.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #235 on: August 16, 2013, 11:16:47 AM »
Nothing will bury a bass like over distortion.

Slight rumble but with a nice fat upper - mid range will make it stand out.

Exactly this!

Offline adastra

« Reply #236 on: August 16, 2013, 11:20:01 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMzCUi75jIY
If it sounds like this it will be purr-fect :3

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: August 16, 2013, 11:20:16 AM »
 :tup :heart

Offline dparrott

« Reply #238 on: August 16, 2013, 11:32:20 AM »
mmm.. Myung decided to get down and dirty...

But he's quiet about it as always....

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: August 16, 2013, 11:35:13 AM »

Yep, that was the wife. I don't drink so didn't enjoy the evening as much as her.

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: August 16, 2013, 11:37:27 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMzCUi75jIY
If it sounds like this it will be purr-fect :3

Almost bang on in places.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: August 16, 2013, 11:37:57 AM »
JMX bass sound is far dirtier than previously. Even though there are some INSANE drum parts at times MM leaves space for other in the band where before MP might have filled the space with a fill run

If I remember correctly, it was rather dirty in the Black Clouds stems. Dirtier than that?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline adastra

« Reply #242 on: August 16, 2013, 11:40:23 AM »

Yep, that was the wife. I don't drink so didn't enjoy the evening as much as her.

Have u passed the point when your  enjoyment is dependant  on the amount of consumed alcohol :p

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: August 16, 2013, 11:44:12 AM »

Have u passed the point when your  enjoyment is dependant  on the amount of consumed alcohol :p

I have but it took some time.
Got the feeling we could start a new thread here.
Dream Theater, better enjoyed with or without alcohol?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #244 on: August 16, 2013, 11:45:07 AM »
Music like DT? Without. Weird experimental music that you already love sober? With.