Author Topic: My thoughts on 'Dream Theater' (***SPOILERS***)  (Read 152778 times)

Offline Orthogonal

Re: My thoughts on 'Dream Theater' (***SPOILERS***)
« Reply #1015 on: September 05, 2013, 12:50:23 AM »
Wish JM would write more lyrics. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but the songs he writes lyrics too tend to be better than the average DT tune.

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #1016 on: September 05, 2013, 01:08:03 AM »
Wish JM would write more lyrics. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but the songs he writes lyrics too tend to be better than the average DT tune.

I don't think it's a coincidence. I really see your point and agree with you. Probably JM's lyrics need a more thoughtful songwriting, 'cuz of their structure. I'm just guessing.
I'll be happy if we'll have some nice lyrics, ADTOE average was fine, would like to see something more captivating. TEI was good in that perspective, IMO.
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1017 on: September 05, 2013, 01:50:45 AM »
I remember an online chat i moderated with Jordan back in 2003;
"8:47:39 PM: Animated: Hey Jordan, I have a question I've been asking myself ever since you joined Dream Theater. Will you ever contribute lyrically on a DT album? If not, is it because the band won't let you or are you simply not interested in writing lyrics?
8:48:16 PM: JordanR: I have an interest in writing lyrics
8:48:22 PM: JordanR: It's an interesting thing actually
8:48:53 PM: JordanR: I feel that the band is very established in there ways and that would be a very new elelment so I do not feel an urgent need to bring lyrics in
8:49:17 PM: JordanR: One day I might write some though and just try my luck with the DT police and see if they like them!!"

With regards to Surrender to Reason being a JMX song - I was absolutely certain it was JP lyrics... I didn't think JMX was this preachy...

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1018 on: September 05, 2013, 02:51:34 AM »
I would really love to see some JR lyrics in DT. I know he hasn't written much in the way of lyrics, but his lyrics on Rhythm of  Time were nice, and especially on Tear Before the Rain.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1019 on: September 05, 2013, 02:56:06 AM »
I would really love to see some JR lyrics in DT. I know he hasn't written much in the way of lyrics, but his lyrics on Rhythm of  Time were nice, and especially on Tear Before the Rain.

Yeah it would be also interesting to see the vocal melodies he could come up with.

Offline Dtman2112

« Reply #1020 on: September 05, 2013, 05:19:54 AM »
I don't know about Jordan writing DT lyrics... I have one of his albums where he sings something like "I talk to the wind, but the wind does not hear"... :tdwn

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1021 on: September 05, 2013, 05:24:30 AM »
I don't know about Jordan writing DT lyrics... I have one of his albums where he sings something like "I talk to the wind, but the wind does not hear"... :tdwn

.........and?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1022 on: September 05, 2013, 05:26:43 AM »
Not sure if serious...

Offline emtee

« Reply #1023 on: September 05, 2013, 05:41:17 AM »
I talk to the wind and it tells me to cover songs on my album.

Noxon...you can unleash your review on us in 4 days. Looking forward to reading it.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1024 on: September 05, 2013, 05:51:12 AM »
I just discovered this album, had no idea he ever wrote lyrics. Is that him singing on the alt mixes of Beyond Tomorrow and Tear Before The Rain?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1025 on: September 05, 2013, 06:23:14 AM »
So basically he likes King Crimson a lot?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1026 on: September 05, 2013, 06:24:18 AM »

You mean the King Crimson song I Talk To The Wind?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1027 on: September 05, 2013, 06:51:16 AM »
:lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: September 05, 2013, 07:16:52 AM »
Shurley there musht be shome mishtake. I think we should be told.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline thosava

« Reply #1029 on: September 05, 2013, 07:18:47 AM »
I was hoping there was one JMX song, one JLB song, and that IT was written by JP/JMX/JLB...Hopefully all the JP lyrics are good!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1030 on: September 05, 2013, 07:25:19 AM »
the enemy inside is a very good representation of the lyrics on the album...

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #1031 on: September 05, 2013, 07:57:43 AM »

Well that's a really good news for me :)
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #1032 on: September 05, 2013, 08:52:56 AM »
So pretty good? I'm not sure how you feel about them but I think they describe PTSD pretty well and are not cheesy.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1033 on: September 05, 2013, 09:38:32 AM »
So pretty good? I'm not sure how you feel about them but I think they describe PTSD pretty well and are not cheesy.

Agreed. ADTOE was already a huge step forward (or back actually) in terms of lyrics, and I really enjoy the TEI lyrics as well.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #1034 on: September 05, 2013, 09:48:03 AM »
I just discovered this album, had no idea he ever wrote lyrics. Is that him singing on the alt mixes of Beyond Tomorrow and Tear Before The Rain?
Not sure about Beyond Tomorrow, but Tear Before the Rain was Kip Winger.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1035 on: September 05, 2013, 10:05:46 AM »
JLB songs are my favorite :(

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1036 on: September 05, 2013, 10:20:01 AM »

Kip Winger - vocals on "Beyond Tomorrow" and "Tear Before the Rain"..

James confirmed in his recent interview that he decided to step back from the lyric-writing job for this album because of his heavy involvement with writing the words for his studio album.

You mean lyric writing or lyrics and writing (composing)?.. 'Cause that would be a little disappointment.. It was great he was contributing to LNF, BMUBMD and FFH...
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1037 on: September 05, 2013, 10:21:58 AM »
He wrote lyric-writing, so I guess he means lyric-writing.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1038 on: September 05, 2013, 11:10:59 AM »
@ToT: he specified that despite stepping down from his lyricist role he was throughout very involved musically in the making of the CD (I would guess > or = his level of musical involvement in ADTOE).
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #1039 on: September 05, 2013, 12:29:46 PM »
He wrote lyric-writing, so I guess he means lyric-writing.

Well, in my country "-" between words means "and".. Also "/"... But all is ambiguos.. That's why I was asking..

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1040 on: September 05, 2013, 12:35:49 PM »
On the album itself, yeah, but I think the alt mixes were indeed JR, can't remember though.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1041 on: September 05, 2013, 12:42:06 PM »
"8:47:39 PM: Animated: Hey Jordan, I have a question I've been asking myself ever since you joined Dream Theater. Will you ever contribute lyrically on a DT album? If not, is it because the band won't let you or are you simply not interested in writing lyrics?
8:48:16 PM: JordanR: I have an interest in writing lyrics
8:48:22 PM: JordanR: It's an interesting thing actually
8:48:53 PM: JordanR: I feel that the band is very established in there ways and that would be a very new elelment so I do not feel an urgent need to bring lyrics in
8:49:17 PM: JordanR: One day I might write some though and just try my luck with the DT police and see if they like them!!"
This is incredibly irresponsible of me... but "DT police" was such a curiously familiar phrase, so I googled it. And it's one he used during the ADToE sessions. I didn't realise it went back as far as 2003.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1042 on: September 05, 2013, 01:03:15 PM »
Ah, I think I remember the circumstances. Remember those days when we had absolutely no firm idea of what would come out? The writing days in early '11!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #1043 on: September 05, 2013, 03:39:39 PM »
But who would JR ask permission to now? I think that back in '03 the struggle (if any) would've been with MP, but he's no longer in the band. I don't think JP would say "no" to another member of the band writing lyrics, since that brings up something new to the band and takes some work off his shoulders.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1044 on: September 05, 2013, 04:20:09 PM »
On the album itself, yeah, but I think the alt mixes were indeed JR, can't remember though.
Yea I meant the alt mixes, not the actual album. The alt mixes are definitely not Kip Winger.

I don't even think MP would turn down JR lyrics if he decided to step up to the plate. He's probably happy to take a backseat with that stuff.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline 425

« Reply #1045 on: September 05, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »
I'm willing to speculate that the door is open for Jordan or Mike Mangini to write lyrics if ever they submit any and they are seen as being good by the rest of the band. This is supported by the fact that in the interview where JLB said he did not write any lyrics, he also quotes John Petrucci as saying "you got to write a couple, man!" This is encouraging to me about the lyrics situation in Petrucci-led DT, because it seems like though JP seems to really enjoy writing lyrics, he has nothing against the other members of the band also writing some and in fact encouraged James having more of a voice in the lyrics.

I also will speculate, though, that we are unlikely to see a JR or MM lyrical contribution. It's possible, but I think Jordan would have gone for it by now if he was going to, and while Mike could, I suppose, he hasn't really mentioned anything about having an interest in it. I think for the foreseeable future, the vast majority of lyrics will continue to be Petrucci's with one song per album by Myung and one or two on most albums from LaBrie.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1046 on: September 05, 2013, 04:27:48 PM »
I'm willing to speculate that the door is open for Jordan or Mike Mangini to write lyrics if ever they submit any and they are seen as being good by the rest of the band. This is supported by the fact that in the interview where JLB said he did not write any lyrics, he also quotes John Petrucci as saying "you got to write a couple, man!" This is encouraging to me about the lyrics situation in Petrucci-led DT, because it seems like though JP seems to really enjoy writing lyrics, he has nothing against the other members of the band also writing some and in fact encouraged James having more of a voice in the lyrics.

I also will speculate, though, that we are unlikely to see a JR or MM lyrical contribution. It's possible, but I think Jordan would have gone for it by now if he was going to, and while Mike could, I suppose, he hasn't really mentioned anything about having an interest in it. I think for the foreseeable future, the vast majority of lyrics will continue to be Petrucci's with one song per album by Myung and one or two on most albums from LaBrie.

Always be prepared for surprises though  ;D
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1047 on: September 05, 2013, 07:58:17 PM »
But who would JR ask permission to now? I think that back in '03 the struggle (if any) would've been with MP, but he's no longer in the band. I don't think JP would say "no" to another member of the band writing lyrics, since that brings up something new to the band and takes some work off his shoulders.

I don't think there would be any struggle, with MP or anyone else. If they needed to ask permission, it would have been MP/JP as the producers, and now it would be just JP, but I think it would be open enough that if someone said "hey, can I write lyrics for this one?" it wouldn't be an issue.

The only condition we've ever heard about as far as lyrics go is with JM not writing completed lyrics/melodies by himself, which was fair enough, and so far it seems that still hasn't really changed, they've just decided that JP would help bring them up to that finalized level (and I assume is probably still the case with DT12), which is a nice middle ground.

But with JP now being the primary producer and lyrics writer, I think he'd be more than happy to share that load between a few other people.

From the JR solo albums I have, I really like his lyrics, and would like him to write some in future. I always liked the whole band effort with DT writing lyrics, with JP/MP/KM/JLB/JM/CD all contributing lyrics at some point. With DT albums in the past, I've been able to figure out exactly who wrote each lyric, because they all have their own recognizable style, and I enjoy that diversity.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline 425

« Reply #1048 on: September 05, 2013, 09:40:18 PM »
I definitely agree that it would be far more fun if the whole band was writing lyrics. I love John Petrucci's lyrics, but one of the more remarkable things I noticed when first listening to albums like Awake was that this was a band that managed to have cohesive albums, and often thematic ones, with a number of different voices. Most bands have a single lyricist or one main lyricist and another occasional contributor, so to me the fact that at one point all five members of the band were writing lyrics was yet another cool and unique thing about Dream Theater. It's not like I'm disappointed that John writes almost all the lyrics now, but I think it would be cool to be able to see the different perspectives that all the members of the band brought to each album. Kind of like how on Awake, Kevin and James dealt with some similar themes in 6:00 and CIAW but handled them in different ways (for example, the 6:00 lyrics are helpless while CIAW's are determined and suggest an active protagonist).

Awake Lyrical Contributions: 40%-30%-10%-10%-10% (John P, Kev, James, John M, Mike)
Dream Theater Lyrical Contributions: 86%-14% (John P, John M)

Just something interesting to think about.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #1049 on: September 05, 2013, 11:09:52 PM »
Being more inclusive (to get The Bigger Picture), I consider appropriate to show you this data I've made at some point...

[0 - JP 3, KM 3. (6)]
  1 - JP 3, KM 2, CM 2. (7)                            Petrucci:  57
  2 - JP 3, KM 3, JM 1. (7)                              Portnoy:  21
  3 - JP 4, KM 3, JLB 1, JM 1, MP 1. (10)           LaBrie:   10
  4 - JP 5, MP 3, JLB 1, JM 1. (10)                   Moore:     8
  5 - JP 5, MP 3, JLB 1, JM 1. (10)                   Myung:     6
  6 - JP 6, MP 4, JLB 2. (12)                           Dominici:   2
  7 - JP 3, MP 2, JLB 1. (6)
  8 - JP 6, MP 4, JLB 2. (12)
  9 - JP 5, MP 2, JLB 1. (8)
 10 - JP 4, MP 2. (6)
 11 - JP 7, JLB 1, JM 1. (9)
 12 - JP 6, JM 1 (7)

They really need more diversity like in the past, I agree.. But I don't think JR or MM will be contributing to write any lyrics..