Author Topic: SPECTICAST TO DISTRIBUTE DREAM THEATER: LIVE AT LUNA PARK TO THEATRES WORLDWIDE  (Read 29229 times)

Offline slycordinator

I'm 100% with heffy's first draft.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
:lol Nice review hef.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Anyone going to the LALP showing in Amsterdam tomorrow?

Offline daykrush

Anyone going to the LALP showing in Amsterdam tomorrow?

I'm for shure will be there in Amsterdamn ( if they let me in), today feels like a punishment...wish it was tomorrow!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
OK, what with just watching once and not having it on hand to refer to while typing, I'm not sure how detailed I can be, so here are my impressions.

It is very, very good.

It is loud as crap, especially JP.

I thought all of the ADTOE songs translated very well to the live setting, except for This Is The Life.  I love that song, but I don't think it translated as well.

All of the uptempo aggressive metal songs were friggin' MASSIVE.  Especially The Dark Eternal Night.  Holy crap.

James LaBrie was on FIRE.  He sounded incredible.

Mike Mangini is a puzzle in a way.  He plays with an incredible passion that is infectious and great to see.  And he is seemingly superhuman.  I mean, I play drums, but he and I aren't doing the same thing.  It's like a little kid who knows addition and subtraction watching someone perform a differential equation.  I mean, wow.

But he has such efficiency of movement that some of the real hard things he is doing don't look as hard as they really are.  It's weird.  But cool!

6:00 had a great groove, Mangini nailed that.

A Fortune In Lies was probably the best I've ever heard it.

The Spirit Carries On was good, but it is by default the least of the recorded versions.

I absolutely loved the acoustic set (The Silent Man and Beneath The Surface), the string quartet really added a lot.  Fantastic.

I also, unexpectedly, loved all three solo spots (although JR accompanied JP, so not sure if it's technically a "solo" lol).  JR's was an improvised piece on piano; JP's was really all over the place regarding style and technique, but still cohesive; and Mangini's was, without a doubt, the best drum solo I've ever seen.  It wasn't just a collection of drum tricks like most solos are.  It seemed to be an actual composed piece of music, that was complete of itself, not needing any other instruments.  I mean, of course he showed off his impressive skills, but it was extremely musical, and not just wanking.

The jam at the end of Metropolis was a lot of fun.  Didn't expect that.

Overall, at the beginning of the concert, there seemed to be fairly equal coverage of the different band members, but the farther it went, it seemed to gravitate toward mostly JR and JP.

Also, JP seemed to get louder as the show went on, oftentimes to the detriment of the other members (especially JM :( )

I'm sure there was something else I wanted to mention, but it is escaping me now.

Overall, it was fantastic.  Can't wait until it is released on Blu-Ray in November.  Great to see it with old friends and new.  Great to meet vtgrad, really classy guy and fellow longtime fan!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline tofee35

I saw the showing last night and it was fantastic.  Here are a few comments I have:

-Mike Mangini was on some other level that you can't even understand from being at a live show. The way he moves around the kit is unique and incredible to watch. The drum solo was extraordinary. Once highlight in particular was a simple snare drum roll that probably exercised a few demons.

-The ADTOE songs came to life so much more than on the album. The dvd brings that album up a few notches for me. They were all highlights and really well played.

-James was hilarious as usual...his banter was especially awkward and cringe-worthy... just the way I like it.

-The sound quality was great in the theater. The drums really punched and cut through, while everything else was clear. It sounded very full. The playing was crazy. I can't really believe how talented these guys are even though I've been a fan for 10 years. They keep getting better and better.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
So here is the Prog Snob review of the showing in NYC.

I arrived at 7:30 and my friend was waiting outside.  Right away we both noticed something disappointing which could be part of the reason for the small amount of people that actually were in the theater.  There was no advertisement at all on the theater facade nor were there any posters on the outside or inside of the theater. Where was Dream Theater's PR enforcing this?  Once I got past those two details, the night was almost perfect from that moment. From the deep guttural moan of the shaman to the last note of Metropolis, we were taken on a two hour plus journey in and out of the band's eleven album collection with only Falling Into Infinity, Train of Thought, and Black Clouds & Silver Linings being left out (are the guys hinting at something...probably just me?).  Some of the pleasant surprises were A Fortune In Lies and Surrounded, the latter being the best performance I've seen of the song in years.

The band was tight and on fire. The energy ignited the surrounding air awakening the dedicated South American fan base. One can easily see why this city was chosen to be filmed for the live release. You could read the passion, pleasure, and appreciation in their eyes. Our teary-eyed fan made her appearance in The Spirit Carries on to no surprise.  That song moves me every time I hear it. I think this performance of the song might actually top the one on Score. The only other disappointment during the night was how low Jordan seemed to be in the mix. Integral parts in where you knew the keyboard should have been in the forefront were dampened. Casting that aside however, Jordan seemed flawless as usual. James' appreciation for him was a really touching moment. As for James, this was easily his best live performance that I've ever heard. Being an avid collector of their live material, that is saying a lot. His voice is back! For a man who just reached the half-century mark, I am truly impressed. Mike Mangini proved why he is the perfect fit for this band. Him drum solo was mind-blowing. He has such passion and enjoyment when he plays and his facial expressions prove this. JP once again showed us why he is the king of progressive metal guitar and JM, while not as lost in the mix as Jordan, was his usual self letting those lightning speed fingers complement the other band members. The interaction with John and James was great, even funny at times. Maybe it's just me, but I sense a bit more relaxation in James since the last tour.

All this being said, I am sure I'll want to add something I forgot later on.  I am truly looking forward to this release and will probably annoy my family with it watching it day after day until they finally decide to hide the disc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Oh, the new ending for The Root of All Evil was cool.  And the transition from On The Backs of Angels to War Inside My Head was sick.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh wow.. Sounds like one helluva show!! Thanks for the reviews guys.. Greatly appreciated...

It wasn't just a collection of drum tricks like most solos are.  It seemed to be an actual composed piece of music, that was complete of itself, not needing any other instruments

Dying to see this ^

Oh, the new ending for The Root of All Evil was cool.  And the transition from On The Backs of Angels to War Inside My Head was sick.

and these ^^

Sigh....

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Lost Not Forgotten =  :metal  :metal  :metal

acoustic set was awesome.  But the chairs they had for the strings were NOT for musicians.  They were those plastic patio chairs that are kind of deep an angled so you are almost forced to sit back in them.  Plus they had arms!  Had to have been uncomfortable playing in those chairs.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Shadow2222

I'm really, really excited for Monday. I feel bad for those that can't go :( I suppose its better than having to miss a concert since at least this will be available for purchase in less than 2 months.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Going this Sunday afternoon in Scottsdale AZ.   :corn
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member

Just bought my tickets for this one!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power

There were 4 of us sitting in the third row from the front.  It was really good and all band members were at the top of their game.  Time just flew by.  Left us wanting more at the end.  Looking forward to NA tour dates!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm so psyched to this tonight!  John Petrucci lives in my area, so maybe he will be attending with his son or something.  Would be awesome to see him play air guitar to himself! 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member

There were 4 of us sitting in the third row from the front.  It was really good and all band members were at the top of their game.  Time just flew by.  Left us wanting more at the end.  Looking forward to NA tour dates!

We must have been behind you. We were in row 4. I don't know if it was because of the theater setting, but I found some of the production a bit distracting. Oh and Mike's drum tech looking like he is asleep behind him for the whole show is a bit distracting lol

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Yeah, I know what you mean.  We were talking about that after the show.  I'll tell you what though, the musical performance sure made up for it.  That's the important thing.  ;)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
I just had a five-minute chat with John Petrucci before the local screening of the Lunka Park DVD.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Did you mention being excited about the live chat tomorrow?

Offline chaotic_ripper

I just had a five-minute chat with John Petrucci before the local screening of the Lunka Park DVD.
Very cool. I envy you.

Offline maximumrocker

Saw it at Ipic in Illiniois

Never been to that theater. It was awesome! Had a pillow, blanket, beer, food service, recliner chair and best of all my best mates and DREAM THEATER!

Probably one of the best experiences I have had at a theater!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Saw it at Ipic in Illiniois

Never been to that theater. It was awesome! Had a pillow, blanket, beer, food service, recliner chair and best of all my best mates and DREAM THEATER!

Probably one of the best experiences I have had at a theater!
That was better than mine.

Offline JoeG

• Engineering student by day, DTF word-spewer by night
Just got back from the Worcester, MA showing. Thoughts:

Was played quite loudly. As others have mentioned, the guitar dominated the mix, and was very visible in even its most subtle moments. However, I think it's drowning out of other instruments was partially a factor of room acoustics, as high guitar notes generated nasty reverb that simply wouldn't be permitted on the final record.

Overall though, the recording quality seemed fantastic. On quieter songs, it honestly sounded like a studio recording. Bass and Drum were more visible on many songs, the ADTOE ones in particular, than their studio counterparts.

The acoustic set was great, with the string quartet really adding to the songs.

All solo spots were very good, as was the Metropolis extension

Camera work was by far the best of any Dream Theater DVD. Lots of really cool overhead shots, and great editing.

James was absolutely on fire.

There are several dozen GIFs of Mangini's face just begging to be made, which rival anything in the LaBrie thread.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone

Lucky summanabich.  I live on the wrong island.  Where in LI was it showing?

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning

HOLY CRAP!! What did you talk about??

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
just got back from Oceanside showing - it was amazing!

the theater wasn't the best, and the sound was actually not loud enough - but seeing it on the big screen was priceless!

and James really was on fire!

I loved being able to watch JR from above.

Now I can only dream that Score will be available on such a venue

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
I also, unexpectedly, loved all three solo spots (although JR accompanied JP, so not sure if it's technically a "solo" lol).  JR's was an improvised piece on piano; JP's was really all over the place regarding style and technique, but still cohesive; and Mangini's was, without a doubt, the best drum solo I've ever seen.  It wasn't just a collection of drum tricks like most solos are.  It seemed to be an actual composed piece of music, that was complete of itself, not needing any other instruments.  I mean, of course he showed off his impressive skills, but it was extremely musical, and not just wanking.

Quoting Hef here...

I've got to say... with all honesty... Mangini's solos was OUT OF BOUNDS (to quote Guy)!  I could not agree more with Hef's assessment; he (Mangini) makes this guitar player want to take up the drums!  I have never... NEVER... seen such speed, groove (who says he can't groove!), and musicality in a drum solo.  Also, his facial expressions are priceless... true metal and you can tell that he is having the time of his life!  And his one-handed grooves have no comparison... if anyone thinks that his one-handed opening to TDOE during the auditions was impressive, your feet will come out of your socks when you see this solo.  I just cannot say enough about this guy!

I'll add this comment as well... they are having a great time together as a band; they do not act like men in their mid-late 40's/early 50's.  They're acting like a band that's just been signed and they are truly having an awesome time on stage!  It transfers to the audience.

Hef, it was wonderful to meet you as well; I appreciate the compliment (especially from Hef, the definition of classy calling me classy  :omg:).  It's always wonderful to meet fellow DT fans (especially long-time fans) and to have a truly memorable time just sitting in a Theater and enjoying the Dream (terrible pun completely intended). 
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef, it was wonderful to meet you as well; I appreciate the compliment (especially from Hef, the definition of classy calling me classy  :omg:).  It's always wonderful to meet fellow DT fans (especially long-time fans) and to have a truly memorable time just sitting in a Theater and enjoying the Dream (terrible pun completely intended).
Yeah, no doubt!  Great to meet you as well!

If DT happen to come to Virginia or NC on their upcoming tour, let's meet up again!

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
I guess I don't have much to add, except to agree that JP was way too loud in the mix. I thought that totally killed BITS; to me it just sounded like muddy noise because of him being almost the entire mix.
One thing I did really take notice to in particular...after JP's lead in TDEN, did you guys notice his face when he was singing backups? He looked possessed! I guess it was probably because of all the adrenaline  of just coming out of that kick ass solo. I just thought it was a really cool emotion to see.
Also...my son, my friends and I were the only 5 people in the theater. It was sort of disappointing, but at the same time it was like we had our own private screening.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
ONLY 5 IN THE THEATER???  :omg: that's awesome/terrible!

Offline tjanuranus

Saw it last night in Edgewater NJ. My review is basically this in a nutshell.. I'm going AGAIn november 11th lol.

IT WAS FREAKING INCREDIBLE. Amazing, mind blowing!

This is the life was AWESOME on this blu ray. The guitar was so amazing life.

I mean they played metropolis, A fortune in Lies and Surrounded in the same set. ARE YOU KIDDING ME????  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Can't wait to go again!

Offline Tunnel Vision

I went to the showing in Bloomsburg, PA yesterday. I honestly expected to be the only person there but I was one of four that showed up. Bloomsburg is a college town and I have yet to meet another DT fan in three years here, so I wasn't surprised about the mostly empty venue.

I agree that the guitar was a little too loud; I'm guessing that's due to the theater's speaker set-up. It had a real "rock and roll" feel to it though and that made the concert exciiting. The show itself was fantastic...great performances from all members. James in particular really shined. The two songs that stood out to me were A Fortune in Lies and 6:00. There was just something special about those performances and will probably be my go-to live versions.

Also, the metropolis jam was fantastic.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:25:43 PM by Tunnel Vision »

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
Bloomsburg, eh? Do you ever get to the Selinsgrove area?
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline Tunnel Vision

Bloomsburg, eh? Do you ever get to the Selinsgrove area?

Yep my family goes there for red robin once in a while :)

BTW, I want the box set but it's too expensive for me...does the Blu-ray version include cds?

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
Anyone going to the Toronto screening? JLB will be doing a Q&A. Tickets go on sale tomorrow.