Author Topic: Going out on a date with a complete stranger.  (Read 15258 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Going out on a date with a complete stranger.
« on: August 15, 2013, 06:51:42 AM »
Hello DTF. I come to you today looking for similar stories and perhaps a little insight.

Let's begin.

So there is this app on mobile devices called Tinder (I'm sure at least one person on here has used it). It's basically a match making app that finds members of the opposite sex in your area based on your GPS position. Users have an incredibly brief profile, their age, five pictures, and how many miles they are from you. The app doesn't find matches for you, it just shows you everyone. How it works is, you are not able to chat with anyone initially. The profiles come up at random and you basically select interested or not interested. If I happen to click interested on someone, and they do the same for me, the app will then automatically open up our chat privileges to each other.

Well I got on this app with no serious intentions of it at all. I mainly just wanted to see what kind of cute girls (maybe any that I knew) were on it. I ended up getting about a dozen matches in the first three days, and had some brief conversations with a few of them... except for one girl. Her and I have been texting (we exchanged numbers, no longer communicating through the app) non-stop for the last week now. I got her to start watching Breaking Bad and we've been watching the episodes at the same time while talking back and forth about them.

We have arranged to meet up tonight at a bar that's at a nice midpoint between our towns. I know 100% that it's not a catfish, and she seems awesome as hell.. but I've never been on a date with someone I've met like this. I guess I could describe my feelings as a little nervous, excited, and apprehensive at the same time.

Has anyone had experience with something like this in a similar situation? Please discuss.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Going out on a date with a complete stranger.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 07:20:24 AM »
Not personally...but, my brother and his now wife met through an online service and have been married for four years and have two kids. And, my sister in law (who has endured a horrible divorce because her x is a huge douche nozzle who's lucky I don't have the distemper I had ten years ago...sorry) used an online service and has met a very nice guy who she really likes.

Sounds neat actually. Having that groundwork of the texting back and forth should make it a bit more relaxed. Good luck!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 07:51:40 AM »
Mrs. P and I met on a blind-date. I'd never even seen her or spoken with her before...although a good friend, who I trusted completely, had screened her for me.

Good luck! It does sound like fun.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 07:58:51 AM »
Now I know that OK cupid is fairly different than Tinder, but I have gone out with quite a few people from that site and even though there's more information to go on with Ok Cupid, I was still technically meeting complete strangers. Anyone can fake a profile, but its worked out really well. And also, none of them really looked like their profile pics, so it might as well have been a blind date anyway.

My only thing was that I was extremely selective and would make sure to message with someone for probably 2-3 weeks and then do something really simple like coffee. Its a crowded public place and provided a stepping stone to something more and at the same time was something easy to walk away from if things didn't jive.

and for the record, I had more dating success with OK Cupid than I ever have in real life.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 08:05:12 AM »
Flagged.

Bosk, AndyDT has hacked into Chino's account.   :lol :lol

Like Podaar, Mrs.jingle and I met on a blind date, with a group of mutual friends/co-workers.  This was long before smartphones and apps like this.  I read an article about an app like this a few months ago.  Seemed like a cool idea.  Bottom line, if you 'connect' with someone, it doesn't really matter HOW that connection was made.  Enjoy it dude.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 08:07:37 AM »
Now I know that OK cupid is fairly different than Tinder, but I have gone out with quite a few people from that site and even though there's more information to go on with Ok Cupid, I was still technically meeting complete strangers. Anyone can fake a profile, but its worked out really well. And also, none of them really looked like their profile pics, so it might as well have been a blind date anyway.

My only thing was that I was extremely selective and would make sure to message with someone for probably 2-3 weeks and then do something really simple like coffee. Its a crowded public place and provided a stepping stone to something more and at the same time was something easy to walk away from if things didn't jive.

and for the record, I had more dating success with OK Cupid than I ever have in real life.

We text pics back and forth all the time. She's cute as a button. I figured a week of texting was enough to actually meet. We've sent almost 3000 messages back and forth (wow, that just sank in).  :lol

Flagged.

:lol :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 08:11:52 AM »
Flagged.

:lol

Chino, my recommendation for getting more hits is to type in the "location" field:  "Right behind you.  Don't cry out.  Don't turn around.  Everything will be just fine."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 08:12:38 AM »
i've never met anybody that way, but I don't think it's weird at all.  It's no different than going out with someone you met online or at a bar or something.  I mean, how much can you really know about someone until you spend time with them?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 08:13:11 AM »
Flagged.

Chino, my recommendation for getting more hits is to type in the "location" field:  "Right behind you.  Don't cry out.  Don't turn around.  Everything will be just fine."

If it wasn't based on GPS, that'd be perfect  :rollin

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 08:29:46 AM »
Sounds like you have something good going, just enjoy it and try not to worry yourself too much.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 10:18:25 AM »
I stalked rode the same commuter train with my wife for about 6 months before I finally worked up the nerve to strike up a conversation with her.  I asked her out on a date the first time I spoke to her.  Hard to believe that was 27 years ago  :coolio

Offline jsem

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 03:27:26 PM »
I stalked rode the same commuter train with my wife for about 6 months before I finally worked up the nerve to strike up a conversation with her.  I asked her out on a date the first time I spoke to her.  Hard to believe that was 27 years ago  :coolio
:hefdaddy

Also, that app seems amazing. 3000 texts btw? Incredible feat.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 04:36:12 PM »
How do you guys think I should handle payment? I didn't necessarily ask her out other than saying "want to meet up?". It was her idea we do the bar. Should I still pay for everything?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 04:37:03 PM »
How do you guys think I should handle payment? I didn't necessarily ask her out other than saying "want to meet up?". It was her idea we do the bar. Should I still pay for everything?
Make the offer to, but if she insists on paying, then just let her.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 04:41:33 PM »
Make the offer to, but if she insists on paying, then just let her.

This is what I would do but you may need to adjust on the fly. Use your feeling Luke!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 05:32:35 PM »

Just hope she doesn't ask for payment upfront.  :D

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »

Always pay for everything on the first date.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 05:55:25 PM »

Absolutely not! 

1st base should be free
2nd base, $2
3rd base, $14
then steal home.

Above all else, nothing more than $20 for a hummer.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 05:56:58 PM »
I have always been VERY rigid in that a relationship should be a commitment from both sides, including financially. That said I think it's just good form for to pay on the first date. Smooths things along and lays a good groundwork.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 06:03:36 PM »
Definitely make the move to pay the bill on a first date. If she offers to pay half, let her.

I met my wife online. We talked on the phone for a couple months before we were finally able to meet. My sister met her husband by being set up by a friend. They emailed for a few weeks before finally meeting.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 06:13:37 PM »

Always pay for everything on the first date.

no. definitely not.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 06:17:11 PM »
That reminds me, I owe jingleboy 20 bucks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 06:18:09 PM »
I've always paid on the first date. But that's just me.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 06:36:21 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 07:45:41 PM »

He is an easy lay.

Chino, you'll never have a change to let anything grow, (This is truly a dual meaning) unless you go out.  You'll never have a chance unless you go for it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 08:05:09 PM »

I "met" my wife by talking on the phone while my college roommate was interacting with her best friend on a chat room.  We talked for about a week before deciding to meet, then started dating, and now here we are, in debt up to our eyeballs.

It can happen to you too, Chino!

I would avoid talking about films at all costs.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 08:32:28 PM »

Told you...  it was pro bono.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 08:39:54 PM »
I would make you nominate that as a POTY candidate.  But then I'd owe you another $20.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
How 'bout I just sig it instead?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 09:11:09 PM »
status report from bathroom. Everything is going awesome. Go me!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 09:26:07 PM »

Motherfucker!!!  It IS AndyDT

j/k Chino.  Go you!!

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 09:33:50 PM »
I just pictured the last scene from 'Boogie Nights' where Mark Wahlberg was looking into the mirror psyching himself up
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 09:36:30 PM »

Eh.  One man's "awesome" is another man's "OMG, I better go to the bathroom and post on DTF."

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 09:44:40 PM »

Eh.  One man's "awesome" is another man's "OMG, I better go to the bathroom and post on DTF."

Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 10:38:03 PM »
Well that night couldn't have gone any better. Three straight hours of talking with lots of laughter and great eye contact. No phones out the entire time (except when I was at the urinal). Introductions were a little weird, we shook hands and introduced ourselves by name even though we were already aware of each other, but whatever. I even picked up the tab, all seventeen dollars of it lol. She had one drink and all I had was a beer and a whiskey on the rocks. I was actually happy it was a sober hangout kind of evening. However, there is a pretty serious/concerning kicker....

She's never seen Avatar