Author Topic: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.  (Read 70608 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.
« Reply #595 on: July 03, 2023, 01:32:04 PM »
Went through a rollercoaster week with our dog Randolph last week.  He's a 4 year old Pit/Staffy/Bulldog that we rescued on Super Bowl Sunday, 2021.  He's super well adjusted and basically a big dog in a 50 lb body.  But, he's also the most cuddly snuggle dog you could ask for.  Noticed over the previous weekend that he was kind of walking gingerly on his back legs and that he wasn't his usual bouncy self.  Monday night, we had to help him up onto the couch for his evening snuggles, when he usually leaps up on his own.  He didn't get any better on Tuesday, so I took him to the emergency vet.  They did x-rays and blood work, and his x-rays showed signs of possible Degenerative Disc Disease, but only Stage 1.  No worries, can probably manage with meds.  Take him to the vet on Thursday, looks like he's doing better.  However, as he was getting out of my wife's car, he decided to jump out rather than take the stairs, and he tumbled.  Combined with the pain meds and muscle relaxer he got from the emergency vet, and he gets super wobbly on his back legs on Thursday.  Isn't able to use his back legs on Friday, which was listed as a possible side effect from the meds.  Condition doesn't change by Saturday morning, so I called the vet, he recommended taking him to the emergency hospital in Indianapolis. Drive to Indy, get him checked in, and that leads to a neurological exam, which reveals he has a herniated disc.  Fortunately, he was a good candidate for surgery, so we okayed the surgery.  He got through that successfully, and he should make a full recovery.  I stayed in Indy that night and was able to see him on Sunday morning.  He was a little groggy from the meds, but otherwise in good spirits.  As long as he doesn't have any problems urinating, we get to pick him up on Wednesday.  Then, it's 2-4 weeks of rehab for him. It was expensive, but after having to put our previous dog down around this time in 2020 due to cancer after only 4 months of having him, we weren't ready to do this again with an otherwise healthy dog.  We're hoping he makes a full recovery!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #596 on: July 04, 2023, 05:38:41 AM »
Good for you, Romdrums. And good for Randolph. I hope he has a speedy recovery and doesn't run into too many corners with his cone of shame.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline romdrums

« Reply #597 on: July 04, 2023, 06:25:27 PM »
Good for you, Romdrums. And good for Randolph. I hope he has a speedy recovery and doesn't run into too many corners with his cone of shame.

Thanks Podaar!  We just got him back home today! The neurologist called this morning and told us he was doing well, was able to use his legs, and able to pee on his own, and because of that, we could pick him up a day early.  So we drove down this afternoon to pick him up.  When they brought him out, he was walking under his own power, which we did not expect!  Got a little misty-eyed, to be honest!  The vet tech we talked to about his rehabilitation said it was “miraculous” given how he was looking on Sunday after his surgery.  There were lots of smiles on the faces of the staff there as we left.  Now, he’s gotta figure out how to navigate with the cone of shame!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #598 on: July 04, 2023, 07:07:24 PM »
I can't remember if I've ever posted pictures of my dogs in here before.

But anyway, this is Chauncey (Belgian Shepherd on the left) and Athena (Border Collie/Lab mix on the right). Chauncey just turned 8 and Athena is 7.

aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #599 on: July 04, 2023, 11:51:03 PM »
I can't remember if I've ever posted pictures of my dogs in here before.

But anyway, this is Chauncey (Belgian Shepherd on the left) and Athena (Border Collie/Lab mix on the right). Chauncey just turned 8 and Athena is 7.

Beautiful dogs!  :heart

I love this quote:

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #600 on: July 05, 2023, 04:42:00 AM »

Thanks Podaar!  We just got him back home today! The neurologist called this morning and told us he was doing well, was able to use his legs, and able to pee on his own, and because of that, we could pick him up a day early.  So we drove down this afternoon to pick him up.  When they brought him out, he was walking under his own power, which we did not expect!  Got a little misty-eyed, to be honest!  The vet tech we talked to about his rehabilitation said it was “miraculous” given how he was looking on Sunday after his surgery.  There were lots of smiles on the faces of the staff there as we left.  Now, he’s gotta figure out how to navigate with the cone of shame!

Awesome!!!  If you really want to make the vet staff's day (later), send pictures of him having some fun in a few weeks.  Mrs.jingle does this with our vet office all throughout the year, and she's on a first name basis with everyone.  They even re-post a bunch of the things she sends.  I'll be honest, I think we get favorable treatment when it comes to booking and scheduling, and free advice.  This was the last one ... "First day of summer".  Cadbury on the left; Chewbacca on the right.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

« Reply #601 on: July 05, 2023, 07:10:33 AM »
@jingle, that picture is awesome!  I'll keep that idea in mind for later. 

I still can't believe Randolph is able to walk, although somewhat sloppily, after having surgery on his spine on Saturday night.  I seriously thought we'd have to teach him how to walk again!  But he's doing great, and he's really happy to be back home with his people! 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #602 on: August 02, 2023, 12:18:21 PM »
Molly flying through the air with the greatest of ease!

And here's the video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/e7Bdjrm94kdijaGt5
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: August 05, 2023, 06:35:03 PM »
Just using this thread to blow of some emotional steam. In 2016, 2 days before Christmas, and about a month after I moved to Charlotte my wife and I found a dog walking along the two lane road leading to our house. We called animal control and after spending 3 hours near him (he didn't let us get close initally) and they never showed up. We finally coerced him into getting into our car and took him home. No tag, no chip, and about 20 pounds underweight I didn't really want a large dog. I was starting a new job, in a new city. After a few weeks of no one claiming him we kept him and named him Murphy.

Fast forward to today, he has been just an incredible addition to our family. He is sweet, gentle, loving to everyone and all of our other pets (though the cats bully him). Taking him in gave me my first real friend in a new city and we've been inseparable ever since. We don't know how old he is but he was at least 2 when we found him which would put him around 9 now.

In June, in the morning he was acting a little lethargic in the morning but as he got old he has gotten slower so nothing too out of the ordinary. After about an hour after his first walk while I was having my coffee he suffered a grand mal seizure. It was the first time I've seen him have a seizure. We took him to the emergency vet where they said it's his first time, sometimes dogs have one and then never again and they didn't want to start on any medication until it happens again. We hoped for the best but after 2 weeks he had another, and then the next day he had one more.

After another trip to the vet we got him on anti-seizure medication and for the next few weeks it was working but recently it stopped again. He is now having seizures almost daily. We've gone through different dosages and different drugs with our regular vet and nothing seems to take. When he isn't having a seizure he simply isn't the same dog. He sleeps all the time (partly due to the medication), he lost a lot of his balance, eyesight in his left eye and is generally disoriented (walks into walls and furniture all the time) and seems confused. We met with neuro vet who said we could do a ct scan of his brain to check for a mass because he is so healthy otherwise (perfect weight and bloodwork), but ultimately he talked us out of it. He said that even if there was a mass at his age it wouldn't be worth the risk to operate and he would most likely never be the same if we did.

I think deep down I know we have to put him down soon, but what makes it so hard is that every couple of days or so he'll have 2-3 hours where he is completely lucid. He'll be back to that same adorable, smiling sweetheart self. That's where I start second guessing myself and wondering if I'm doing the right thing, am I going to end the life of my dog when there is some hidden treatment? I've kept a meticulous excel spreadsheet of everything he does daily to try and find a trigger and nothing.

I dunno, I guess I just wanted to write things out and get it off my chest. I love this community and I feel a sense of comfort sharing things among the people here. Here is a pic of my best buddy. Before June every night around 10ish he comes into my office and gives me the look, this is his "it's time for neck scratches" look and it was one of the best times of day for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #604 on: August 05, 2023, 06:40:17 PM »
 :heart
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: August 06, 2023, 04:45:54 AM »
Damn Kay...  :'(

We'll always 2nd guess ourselves when our pets have a serious medical condition, but are otherwise healthy and 'ok'.  A few moments of lucidity here and there can't overshadow all the other moments. I know it's the hardest thing to do, but in most cases, it's also the most compassionate.

Much love to you and Mrs Reaper.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: August 08, 2023, 09:48:06 AM »
First and foremost, it's essential to recognize the love and care you've given Murphy since you found him on that road in 2016. Your decision to take him in and provide him with a loving home has enriched both your lives. He has had wonderful years with you, and you've been there for him through thick and thin.

Regarding his current health struggles, it's heart-wrenching to witness Murphy going through seizures and the effects of the medication. You've already taken him to the vet and sought professional advice, which shows how much you care about his well-being. You've done everything you can to try and find a solution.

It's natural to have doubts and second-guess yourself during this difficult time. However, it's crucial to remember that you've already explored various options with the neuro vet and your regular vet. They are experts in their field, and their advice is based on what's best for Murphy's overall quality of life.

Those brief moments when Murphy seems like his old self are undoubtedly precious and tug at your heart. But it's essential to consider his overall condition and well-being. As difficult as it is, you must assess the balance between his good moments and the struggle he faces daily.

It's crucial to prioritize Murphy's comfort and dignity during this process. If he is experiencing frequent seizures, disorientation, and loss of quality of life, it might be time to make the difficult decision to say goodbye. It's a heartbreaking choice, but remember that you're making it out of love and wanting to spare him further suffering.

Take comfort in knowing that you've given him a life filled with love, care, and companionship. Cherish the memories you've created together, and keep the happy times close to your heart.

Ultimately, this decision lies with you, and it's not an easy one to make. Trust yourself and your love for Murphy to guide you. Remember that you're doing your best for him, just as you have since you found him in 2016.

Lean on your support network during this time, both friends and family, as well as the online community you mentioned. Talking about your feelings and sharing your burden can help ease some of the weight you're carrying.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: August 08, 2023, 11:47:50 AM »

Thank you guys for the kind words. Unfortunately Murph made the decision for us yesterday. We had a fantastic day together on Sunday where he seemed as youthful as he was when we got him. I got him a chicken and mcd's fries which were his favorite. Monday morning I woke up and we went for a walk, a little while later he had a stroke. We took him to his vet which is only 2 miles away, at that point he was alive but gone. Everyone was in agreement that it was time, so he enjoyed a can of cheese-wiz and he passed away with his head in my lap.

The hardest part is definitely how quiet the house his. He was a quiet dog but it just doesn't feel like a home. It'll take time and I have a few thousand pictures to remember him by, it was great (almost) 7 years.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: August 08, 2023, 12:03:17 PM »
It's a heartbreaking experience, but it's quite clear it was his time.  I'll tip my next glass to Murphy

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #609 on: August 08, 2023, 12:10:16 PM »

Thank you guys for the kind words. Unfortunately Murph made the decision for us yesterday. We had a fantastic day together on Sunday where he seemed as youthful as he was when we got him. I got him a chicken and mcd's fries which were his favorite. Monday morning I woke up and we went for a walk, a little while later he had a stroke. We took him to his vet which is only 2 miles away, at that point he was alive but gone. Everyone was in agreement that it was time, so he enjoyed a can of cheese-wiz and he passed away with his head in my lap.

The hardest part is definitely how quiet the house his. He was a quiet dog but it just doesn't feel like a home. It'll take time and I have a few thousand pictures to remember him by, it was great (almost) 7 years.

So sorry my friend  :heart

Something to think about with all those pictures... You can get a tiny digital picture frame and dump them all in there. If you cremated, you can have them next to the urn constantly rotating through memories.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #610 on: August 08, 2023, 04:39:36 PM »
Sorry to hear this Reaper, condolences to you.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline romdrums

« Reply #611 on: August 09, 2023, 07:31:22 AM »
Sounds like Murphy is one of the bestest boys.  :heart My condolences, Reaper.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: August 09, 2023, 07:34:18 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #613 on: August 09, 2023, 07:35:09 AM »
Sounds like a great last day together. Very sorry to hear.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: August 09, 2023, 07:36:30 AM »
I am so sorry to hear.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: September 16, 2023, 05:26:46 PM »
To Murphy and all those who have moved across the Rainbow Bridge....  :heart

For us, we lost one of my two best ever friends back in 2015.  Denny was a cocker rescue, about five years old when we got him in 2008. We named him after William Shatner's character in 'Boston Legal'....  and my wife even told Shatner that when we met him years ago.  :lol   Denny was very similar to my best dog Freddie, another cocker born at around 3AM on a September morning back in 1992.  Silly me even passed around Swisher Sweets at work to celebrate him and his two brothers' births.  The mother dog was a Christmas gift for my ex a couple of years earlier, after the last of her two dogs had died about fourteen months earlier.

Anyhoo....less than two months after Denny's passing (within two days of noticing he was ill), the cocker rescue group brought in a few hopefuls to PetSmart.  Quite difficult to walk into that store and not have a dog at home to buy supplies for.  And, as all here well know, that time of not having the dog to talk to, having to pick food up off the floor because there was no longer someone there to clean it, no one to hog the couch or bed, ....   is such a gut punch void.  I simply went to talk to one of their reps that was there when we got Denny, say 'thank you', make a donation, and go home. My wife told me "do not fall in love with any of them, it was way too soon, and Denny was semi irreplaceable." And that was my intent.

Well....they had a merle colored cocker, almost a year old, who didn't care if kids came up to him and petted him without warning, and was friendly as hell.  Drove the two miles home, told the wife 'ya gotta come and check this guy out'. 

Eight years later, Jesse (Pinkman) has been a momma's boy, shadows her 90 percent of the time when she's awake, but he'll be down here in my office at night laying on my left foot.  He'll come up and talk to me if I'm not up by 830AM, then proudly run downstairs and tell his Mom that I'm on my way down. :)

We've been doing multiple eye drops over the past few months to keep the glaucoma pressure in one eye low.  Well, there's other stuff happening, and he's scheduled to have that right eye removed next month.  Yeah, it's costly, but our being frugal for decades allows us to pay for it. We figure he's been basically blind in that eye for weeks, so we're mentally OK with what awaits him.  On top of his MCL surgeries a couple of years ago in both hind legs, he's been one expensive dog. 

He's lucky we have deep pockets.  We're lucky to have had this sidekick during all of our illnesses and broken bones as well.

Our former housesitter for our trips Facetimes with her Mom when she now house sits, so that she can see and talk to Jesse. :lol  Part of that image is in the bottom right.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 05:57:00 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #616 on: September 17, 2023, 06:37:29 PM »
Jeez Joe, the poor dog. At least he has you guys.

Cats on the other hand....

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: September 18, 2023, 06:49:01 AM »
That poor pup Joe! He is very fortunate to have you guys are parents.

Jeez Joe, the poor dog. At least he has you guys.

Cats on the other hand....

Last year we kept a kitten and her pregnant mom that we found in our construction dumpster on our driveway (we were having a porch built). The mom gave birth to another set of kittens, we kept 1 and a few co workers kept the other 3. Well to repay our kindness the 3 cats (mom and two kittens) got into some chili we foolish left on the stove and all three had to spend a night at the emergency vet on christmas day.

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #618 on: September 19, 2023, 09:19:29 AM »
well, lemme tell ya, folks, dogs, they're the bee's knees! i mean, seriously, what's not to love about those furry little rascals? why? 'cause they're loyal as a doggone gps and obedient like my grandpa at church.

you see, cats, they're all like, "meow, i do what i want, meow meow :censored" strutting around like they own the place. but dogs? naw, they're more like, "woof, boss, what can i do for ya today? :millahhhh" They're like your trusty sidekick in a spaghetti western, always ready to ride into action.

and speaking of action, dogs are the real action heroes of the pet world. you can teach 'em tricks that'll make houdini jealous! :hat Try gettin' a cat to roll over or play dead; you'll have better luck teaching a fish to tap dance. :rollin

now, some folks might argue that cats are easier to handle, what with their litter boxes and all. but let me tell ya, takin' a dog for a walk is like a daily adventure. you never know if you'll be dodging squirrels or playing tug-o'-war with a stubborn pup. and don't get me started on fetch – it's like cardio for your arm! cardio for your arm! cardio for your arm! :metal

so, folks, next time you're thinkin' about a furry sidekick, remember, dogs are the real mccoy. they'll fetch your heart and keep it safe, all while waggin' their tails and crackin' you up. ain't nothin' quite like havin' a four-legged buddy who's got your bark... uh, back!
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #619 on: September 19, 2023, 10:13:56 AM »
Great post Prog!  My sentiments exactly even though I don't own a dog at this time.  They are definitely my pet of choice for sure!  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #620 on: September 19, 2023, 11:30:18 AM »
The trick is to bring a kitten into a house with dogs already, that way they're only like half-cat once they learn what's what.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: September 19, 2023, 11:32:53 AM »
We have both dogs and cats and while I was a dog only guy growing up having cats has completely changed my mind. When I met my now wife she had a cat (who is still around) that is just as awesome as any dog. She plays fetch, she affection and just a blast to have around.

The mom cat we found last year that we kept is equally as awesome. When I walk the dog she comes and walks with us, she knows a bunch of commands and is fiercely protective of our small dog as if it's one of her kittens.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #622 on: September 20, 2023, 03:23:14 PM »
love dogs and that there is a dog thread here! my dog's name is james lawoof!!!

a few days ago, i started noticing that james had a knack for howling along to music. it all started when i was jamming out to some tunes in the living room. i was listening to "learning to live" by dream theater, and there's this killer F# note in there, you know? well, out of nowhere, james let out this howl, and lo and behold, it was right on that F# note! i couldn't believe my ears. that got me thinking, could i actually teach him to sing more than just that one note? i mean, dream theater is great and all, but a one-note wonder, he shouldn't be. thus, the journey has began. i'll let y'all know how mr lawoof is doing in a few weeks!!  :metal
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #623 on: October 07, 2023, 08:40:58 PM »
I grew up with 2 dachschunds (Scooter and Barney).  Scooter died in 1992, we got Barney three days later and he lived for 16 years until the family decided to put him to sleep in 2008.  Since then, I got married, bought a house, had 2 kids and moved to a new house.  A few years ago, we tried out some pet fish, but they wouldn't last long.  The first died after 30 days or less, and then I managed to keep another 3 alive for close to a year, but cleaning the tank weekly was a pain in the ass for cheap pet-store guppies.

We decided to get a family dog a few months ago for a number of reasons, and picked up a tiny, 8-week old pure-bred Beagle puppy yesterday.  The kids and I are crazy about him, and my wife is slowly opening up to him (she's always been a cat person).

This is Toby:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: October 08, 2023, 04:33:10 AM »
There is nothing, and I mean nothing, cuter than a Beagle puppy!

That being said, I wish you the best of luck, mate. My advice is, as soon as possible, get Toby into obedience training with professional dog handlers. You and the kids should also work with a dog trainer to understand how to deal with him as he matures. Lastly, get a good set of ear plugs to sleep with.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: December 19, 2023, 08:54:26 AM »
Two years after Sagan's death and we finally got the dog itch again. Meet Maeve!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: December 19, 2023, 10:55:37 AM »
Queen Maeve?

She's adorable.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #627 on: December 19, 2023, 11:03:23 AM »
Daaawwww.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: December 19, 2023, 12:10:30 PM »
Queen Maeve?

Indeed! I like to call her Darth Barbie.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: December 19, 2023, 01:10:12 PM »
What a beautiful pup!