Author Topic: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.  (Read 69270 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.
« Reply #420 on: April 22, 2019, 07:24:06 AM »
so after a full weekend with our new Ruby we are learning a lot about her behavior and some of it isn't good. 

I'll give you her background as well as we know it.  According to her information package she was picked up as a stray in Texas and taken to a shelter, was rescued from an organization here in Wisconsin at the beginning of 2019, and had puppies at the end of February.  She was staying with a foster family who have two small children the entire time while in Wisconsin. the dog absolutely loved the foster family's kids and that has carried over to our son as well.  All of the dogs behavior inside the home is better than we had hoped, no accidents, obedient and loving.  It's outside the home we are experiencing difficulties.

Every sound, movement, etc and the dog goes into high alert mode.  she is barking at the neighbors, mostly male rather than female, when they come outside, growling at other dogs on walks, and chasing squirrels and birds. Our best guess is while she was a stray she was in complete defense and survival mode.  She also tends to react better to correction on the leash better while I'm in charge and less so for my wife.

if anyone has any tips on how to defuse these situations we are open to suggestions.

Norman was very much like that early on, and he still sucks at the dog park despite having dog friends all over the neighborhood. I would put a few pieces of homemade jerky in my pocket and keep a small piece in my hand. He'd know it was there and I would just walk. He would become so fixated on the jerky, he'd completely tune out the squirrels, the birds, any kids playing playing in their yards, etc.   

For all I know, that could be one of the worst ways to train a dog, but it seemed to help. I also carried a spray bottle around with me, and at the first sign of any kind of growling or teeth showing (fur standing up would come first), he'd get a spray.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #421 on: April 22, 2019, 07:36:07 AM »
Patience and consistency.  Anytime she displays behaviour you want to correct, do SOMETHING to distract her - a sharp noise, a slight tap on her somewhere, small snap of the leash ... anything. It will take time, and she may never be 100%, but it will get better.

Patience, consistence, and positive reinforcement.  You lose any of those, and you'll lose your progress.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: April 22, 2019, 02:25:19 PM »
Patience and consistency.  Anytime she displays behaviour you want to correct, do SOMETHING to distract her - a sharp noise, a slight tap on her somewhere, small snap of the leash ... anything. It will take time, and she may never be 100%, but it will get better.

Patience, consistence, and positive reinforcement.  You lose any of those, and you'll lose your progress.

Jingle hit the nail on the head. It’ll take time but it can be trained. You also have to remember there has been a lot of transition in this dogs life. Give it a few months. One of my neighbors who fosters dogs full time told me it takes about six months of stability for them to let their defenses down. Consistency and routine is key.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #423 on: April 27, 2019, 03:35:45 PM »
I'm sorry to report that we've had to return our new dog Ruby back to the rescue facility.

It became more and more obvious each day that this dog had behavioral problems we were not equipped to handle.  Each day she became closer to us she also became more protective and more aggressive towards people outside the home to the point that the last day we had her she tried to attack two of my wife's friends inside our home.

When the rescue organization came to pick her up the dog was absolutely uncontrollable.  The two people who came for her couldn't believe we had put up with this behavior for a week.

I truly believe Ruby fell in love with us as she was gentle and playful inside our home, she played and licked our faces and it really felt like she had a real home.  We feel bad the dogs unknown past has screwed her up so mentally that we feel she'll have a very hard time finding the right person to help her find peace.

We are going to take another break from being doggy parents to get our heads straight, but know sooner or later we'll get the perfect fit for our home once again.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: April 28, 2019, 06:24:25 AM »
Damn. Sorry to hear that. Becoming so loving and aggressive at the same time is indeed problematic.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #425 on: April 28, 2019, 10:17:52 AM »
Damn. That’s a shame. You mentioned she just recently gave birth to a large litter. I wonder if there were some maternal chemicals floating around her system that are intended to be there for the defense of her young. Maybe your family took their place and she was just running on instinct?

Either way, sorry to hear the news.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #426 on: April 28, 2019, 04:33:06 PM »
I had to work the day we surrendered Ruby and according to my wife the rescue facility was a nightmare to deal with.  We also learned some things that might have raised a flag to us as well.

During my wife's conversation with the rescue manager she let slip that the dog had been in two different foster families while it was still in Texas.  Red flag number 1.

During the dogs stay at the foster family in Wisconsin, we learned the dog had a minor incident with the mother of couple fostering her.  Reg flag number 2.

Both of these situations would have immediately made us aware the dog most likely wouldn't have been a good match for our family.

We have heard from the new foster family since the surrender that the dog is currently doing well, and they even sent us a short video confirming it.  Hopefully the dog continues to get the assistance she needs to get turned around.

Offline Dreamdrummer

« Reply #427 on: May 10, 2019, 02:05:09 AM »
We have a new familymember :D

This is Jackson.
9 weeks old.

Welcome to the family little friend  ;D

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 02:34:02 AM by Dreamdrummer »
Drums - Music - Faith - Hope - Love - Tattoos - Learning To Live

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #428 on: May 10, 2019, 06:38:36 AM »
Awesome!! Puppies are so freaking adorable!!!! Looks like a Lab or Golden Retriever?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #429 on: May 10, 2019, 06:45:47 AM »
That's one handsome pupper!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: May 10, 2019, 06:47:01 AM »
Who's the little sweetie? You are, Jackson.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Dreamdrummer

« Reply #431 on: May 10, 2019, 06:54:32 AM »
Awesome!! Puppies are so freaking adorable!!!! Looks like a Lab or Golden Retriever?

He is indeed a Golden Retriever.

He is doing very well.
Feeling right at home in our presence from the get go.
Drums - Music - Faith - Hope - Love - Tattoos - Learning To Live

Offline T-ski

« Reply #432 on: May 10, 2019, 07:37:18 AM »
cute pup, congrats!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #433 on: June 17, 2019, 04:38:07 PM »
well, it took a while but I think we hit the jackpot.

after putting our dog down in January, we knew eventually we'd get another one and back in May we thought we found our newest family member, but if you've followed the thread you know that didn't end up well and we had to return the dog.  but as they say, there is always a reason, and last week we found that reason. 

meet Pearl, a border collie, springer mix....

Pearl was surrendered to a local humane society from an Amish farm because they thought she didn't work hard enough, which my wife thought was hysterical because we are a low energy type of home.  She is about 3 years old, sharp as a tack and loyal to no end.  she is adjusting to city life pretty well, loves going out for long walks and my wife has taken her for a jog which really seemed to poop her out (the dog, not my wife).   

we are rather curious though as to what type of commands the Amish used to make her work, because she looks at us like she wants us to tell her to do something but the obvious word commands fly over her head outside of sit.  I assume they used whistle commands of some sort. but like I said, she is a very smart dog and has picked up a lot of what we mean is just a few short days.

feels good.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: June 18, 2019, 05:19:37 AM »
You all look so happy, and Pearl is positively grinning. Good show!  :tup

Offline Loggins

• Rocks.
« Reply #435 on: June 18, 2019, 06:22:31 PM »
Here's a buzzkill.  :|

http://prntscr.com/o3muat

After 16.75 years with me, my first dog has died. It's been a rough week. Orbit was as stubborn and bullheaded as any Scottie deserved to be and that was one of his best traits. He spanned two marriages, lots of BS, and general heartache and joy. I'll miss him for a long time.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #436 on: June 19, 2019, 08:38:31 PM »
Sorry to hear this, having gone through it 6 months ago I know the pain involved.

My condolences to you.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: June 20, 2019, 09:08:37 AM »
Sorry Loggins

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #438 on: June 20, 2019, 09:48:30 AM »
My younger pup (Gidget) had surgery yesterday morning to remove her baby teeth. She's small, less than 3 lbs, and her baby teeth never fell out. Her adult teeth came in and were reeking havoc on her mouth. We wound up speaking to several vets about it, and were given horror story after horror story. Our previous "main" vet basically told us that the surgery to remove them was a 50/50 survival rate due to the anesthesia needed, and didn't even want to discuss doing it. Another vet we spoke to over the phone wanted to schedule a surgery without ever actually seeing our dog... We finally wound up going to Banfield (Petsmart's in house vet), and the Doctor was amazing. We brought her in to check her out, she told me it would be pretty routine... the only part of it NOT routine is the number of extractions. She went over every step, gave us quotes for best and worst case scenarios (if there were complications...), and was free the very next day. Gidget was starting to feel a lot of discomfort already, and some of the baby teeth were in bad shape, so we went ahead and scheduled it.

My girlfriend and I were both complete wrecks yesterday while we waited for the call from the vet.

She came out just fine! 15 baby teeth, and one adult tooth (which was compromised by due to the teeth pulled around it). Shes home now, doing great, but really isn't happy about what happened with her mouth :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Loggins

• Rocks.
« Reply #439 on: June 20, 2019, 06:14:43 PM »
Good news that it went well. I'm always surprised at the variances in doctor quotes. They want to call it "science" but it's priced more like art.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #440 on: June 22, 2019, 07:53:36 AM »
Some of my favorite images of my dog, Mulder:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: June 23, 2019, 05:45:44 AM »
 Love that shot of him just soaking up the sun. Dat tongue!!!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: July 13, 2019, 09:17:32 AM »
Sagan, down for his 8:00 am nap. My old pillow puppy.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #443 on: November 20, 2019, 04:50:30 PM »
So for those who have read the pissed of thread, I've been sick with a cold, bronchitis, and now sinus infection since the first of the month. Needless to say, I've been feeling like crap for awhile--tired, achy, coughing every minute, cold, and not sleeping the best. Last night, I was sitting on the couch with my dog watching TV. I love the dog we have now, she's great and cuddly when she wants to be. But I found myself saying, "I wish Miller was here in a time like this." Miller was my dog who passed away almost two years ago. He was this big cuddly goober who liked to hang around you when he was sick. I've been missing him a lot recently, so he's been on my mind a lot.

When I was coming back home from the doctor's office this morning, I pulled into the driveway and standing in our side yard, mere feet away from me were two deer. Usually, they run away as soon as a car pulls up, but they didn't. I got out of the car and they stood there, staring at me. I said "Hi Max and Miller!" Max was our other dog that passed away a year prior to Miller.

I broke down and started crying. I said: "I really like to think that's them." It sounds stupid when I write it out, but in that moment it felt like they both were right there with me, two sources of comfort when I was sick. After Miller died, a deer started hanging around our yard more and more and our current dog would stare at him and the deer would stare too. I've always felt like a deer visit is a visit from Miller.

I needed a moment like that today.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: November 20, 2019, 05:39:43 PM »
 :tup. Awesome. The way you tell the story, I'd be certain it was Max and Miller paying a brief visit.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: July 28, 2020, 04:49:57 AM »
Bump ... for all the wrong reasons.  Time is running short.   :'(

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: July 28, 2020, 05:42:41 AM »
:( I'm really sorry to hear that Chad

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: July 28, 2020, 06:09:31 AM »
Crap. So sorry, Chad. I'll be thinking of you and jingle.wife today.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: July 28, 2020, 06:11:58 AM »
 :(
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #449 on: July 28, 2020, 07:25:15 AM »
Sorry Bud :(

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: July 28, 2020, 07:52:14 AM »
Just found out time is REALLY short - he's had a tumour that's ruptured, and is bleeding internally.

Fuck fuck fuck.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #451 on: July 28, 2020, 08:17:23 AM »
Thoughts are with you jingle.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: July 28, 2020, 08:26:28 AM »
oh no, im so sorry Chad.   :sadpanda:

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #453 on: July 28, 2020, 08:27:18 AM »
Aw man......sorry to hear this Chad.  :'(
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #454 on: July 29, 2020, 06:42:15 AM »
It has been almost 3 years since our dog, Star passed away.  Here are 3 pictures of her with my 3 grandchildren.  She was especially attached to my youngest.

Chad, sorry to hear about your dog. 

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.