Author Topic: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.  (Read 69261 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.
« Reply #350 on: November 15, 2018, 06:57:29 PM »
Maya sounds like she was a great companion and shared love as much as she was loved. Very sorry for you loss.

I know there are a few of us here that have been through that heartbreaking experience, some multiple times. Just know the heartache does fade and the great memories become more special.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #351 on: November 16, 2018, 09:53:33 AM »
So very sorry for the loss of Maya.  It's so difficult losing one of our fur babies.  To the Rainbow Bridge Maya.....

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #352 on: November 16, 2018, 11:07:04 AM »
 :'( :'(
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: November 16, 2018, 12:05:07 PM »
Thanks guys... I mean that.  Honestly my wife and I are struggling a bit right now. 

Legacy

“I loved to wake to clicking nails across our hardwood floor
To hear a greeting from our angel at our bedroom door
To spend some afternoon lazy and drowsing in the sun
Or feel pouring rain wash us clean together as we run

To see blue eyes searching for a way to make me laugh
Or to realize that I do really mean it’s time to take a bath
To dig a hole, that I must fill, in mulch that I have laid
It’s the little things that I now see, and for which I’d never trade

I see you at our door knocking to come in
I feel that fur comforting me, soft against my skin
I hear you in the long, long nights talking to me with love
I dare to pray that one day I may see you up above

I see you with my father, waiting for me at the gate
Licking that cold nose and telling me I’d better not be late
I miss you now, so much, that my heart each day may break
Because you left, you see, and a part of me you did take

There’s no more pain for you now, with sweet peace you are to bind
That great pain and searing loss for us is left behind
In time we’ll see joy, for to your memory we will cling
Because you see, your legacy, is the joy that you did bring”

Here she is, and this is how I will remember her

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: November 16, 2018, 01:47:13 PM »
She’s a beauty.....

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: November 16, 2018, 03:54:20 PM »
Goddam! What a gorgeous dog. Thank you for sharing your photos.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #356 on: November 16, 2018, 04:07:40 PM »
Holy shit vtgrad. That sucks.

Very sorry to hear that, but thanks for sharing your story.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: November 16, 2018, 05:05:34 PM »
When your buddy goes under a deck or under shrubs to lay down, when they've never done that before......they know 'it's time'. 

She was a beauty in more ways than one. 

Chin up, sir.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:47:58 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: November 16, 2018, 06:43:14 PM »
When your buddy goes under a deck or under shrubs and lay down, when they've never done that before......they know 'it's time'. 

Yep. My buddy Drake went under the trampoline. Wouldn’t budge. I layer there with him all night. Only the beckoning from my youngest son the next morning helped me get him to the car.

It’s weird how they ‘know’

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #359 on: November 30, 2018, 08:13:28 AM »
such an angel  :heart

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: November 30, 2018, 10:12:51 AM »
such an angel  :heart

Yes she was... and still is I'm sure!  It's getting easier for us; we are starting to fondly relive the memories instead of constantly dwelling on the heavy loss. 

We've also decided that perhaps the best way to honor her life is to save another life... so we are working toward an adoption of a husky in Fredericksburg VA.  If we do it, I'll let you guys know and post some pics.

I'm also working on a piece of art for her... I'll post a pic when I'm finished.  Funny how loss brings out creativity...
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #361 on: December 06, 2018, 06:04:32 AM »
We've also decided that perhaps the best way to honor her life is to save another life... so we are working toward an adoption of a husky in Fredericksburg VA.  If we do it, I'll let you guys know and post some pics.

I'm also working on a piece of art for her... I'll post a pic when I'm finished.  Funny how loss brings out creativity...
Please do!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline T-ski

« Reply #362 on: January 04, 2019, 11:28:51 AM »
our darling Blue who is 16.5 years old has been showing signs for months that she isn't the same dog we've known for the past 13+ years and my wife and I have had numerous discussions about "is it time".  We also have an 11 year old son who will be going through death for the first time.  Needless to say we are kind of a mess about the whole thing. 

any advice to help us through this situation is much appreciated.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #363 on: January 04, 2019, 12:03:39 PM »
our darling Blue who is 16.5 years old has been showing signs for months that she isn't the same dog we've known for the past 13+ years and my wife and I have had numerous discussions about "is it time".  We also have an 11 year old son who will be going through death for the first time.  Needless to say we are kind of a mess about the whole thing. 

If your dog is comfortable with strangers in the home, spend the extra money and have the vet come to your house to do the deed.   

*internet hugs*

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #364 on: January 04, 2019, 12:15:32 PM »

If your dog is comfortable with strangers in the home, spend the extra money and have the vet come to your house to do the deed.   

*internet hugs*

Yes, there was an article in the Nashville paper a year ago about a vet that made house calls and spent time with the family before the dog was released from his/her pain. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: January 04, 2019, 12:55:02 PM »
When I had to put my boy Drake down in 2013 the Vet met me at a local park. It was very beautiful and peaceful.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #366 on: January 04, 2019, 12:55:43 PM »
When I had to put my boy Drake down in 2013 the Vet met me at a local park. It was very beautiful and peaceful.

Awwww, that's a great idea. Both my dogs were put down in the clinic. This would have been something really lovely.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: January 04, 2019, 01:29:39 PM »

Awwww, that's a great idea. Both my dogs were put down in the clinic. This would have been something really lovely.

It made the moment about as 'good' as it could be. I was lucky it was a nice day out because it was August so it could have been 100 degrees out. But it wasn't. We walked (as much as he could) down to the stream he liked.....then back out to a field where I got to sit with him under a tree for about an hour prior to the vet showing up. Just laying there saying our goodbye's. The vet arrived....walked out to me and just asked me to tell him when I was ready.

Anyway.....I think there are more and more Vets offering this type of thing or house calls. It's a great thing to do for people in that tough time.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #368 on: January 04, 2019, 01:49:53 PM »

It made the moment about as 'good' as it could be. I was lucky it was a nice day out because it was August so it could have been 100 degrees out. But it wasn't. We walked (as much as he could) down to the stream he liked.....then back out to a field where I got to sit with him under a tree for about an hour prior to the vet showing up. Just laying there saying our goodbye's. The vet arrived....walked out to me and just asked me to tell him when I was ready.

Anyway.....I think there are more and more Vets offering this type of thing or house calls. It's a great thing to do for people in that tough time.

I don't know any other way to word this, so my apologies if this comes off as insensitive.

How does corpse removal work in that situation? Did the vet take him, or did you have to pick him up and bring him somewhere?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: January 04, 2019, 04:34:43 PM »

I don't know any other way to word this, so my apologies if this comes off as insensitive.

How does corpse removal work in that situation? Did the vet take him, or did you have to pick him up and bring him somewhere?

I bought a nice white sheet....the Vet helped me wrap him up and get him to my car. Then I drove out to my Grandfathers (about an hour out into the country) He has some property and I buried him there. The boys and I made a cool little grave stone and so now anytime we’re out there we will stroll down to the back property and say ‘hey’.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #370 on: January 04, 2019, 04:47:26 PM »
Awesome

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #371 on: January 04, 2019, 04:50:12 PM »
Dammit Gary, that is truly inspirational. Seriously.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: January 04, 2019, 05:56:52 PM »
Thanks Fellas

Here's a Pic of Drake and I about half hour before the vet arrived. Like I said, He and I sat there for quite some time and I wept...talked to him....and just said 'bye'.

He looks so at peace here despite having spent the prior 24-30 hours peeing straight blood.

Here's the grave site the boys and I made:  (it's weird/neat to see my kiddos 5 years younger in this pic)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: January 04, 2019, 06:55:59 PM »
damn that's so sad Gary.  Drake looks at peace too like you said.  Sorry for your loss (I know it was awhile ago, but still).  Really nice thing you did with the burial. 

When our first loved childhood pet dog passed away my dad also buried him, in our front yard of the house though lol Like it was a nice thing to do, but we always joke now that it was during winter and we all doubt my dad dug deep and although we moved out of the house, joke that the dog will resurface one day for the family living there. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: January 05, 2019, 05:30:24 AM »
Dammit... got a little something in my eye.  :'(

Brohug to you T-ski.  We've had to put two animals down over the past couple of years.  Not really sure on the advice I can offer with your son - both of our kids were teenagers and while it was rough, it wasn't their first experience with death.  My only suggestion is to not go out right away to 'replace' the loss of a family pet.  Take your time to mourn and grieve, and then add to the family when the time is right.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #375 on: January 16, 2019, 09:06:17 PM »
This will be a long post, but it's something that my cousin did recently that just rubbed me the wrong way.

So, back in March, we had to put down our 11 year old Australian Shepherd, Miller. He was my best friend for 11 years, and before he walked into our lives in March 2007, I really didn't like dogs or at least never really paid attention to them. He changed my life. He had a turbulent first 6 months of his life. He was born here in Minnesota, then was bought by someone who lived in Michigan. His owner broke her ankle and couldn't take care of him so he was sent back here to live with the breeder. He came back via airplane and he was a nervous dog to begin with. Between moving twice and being in the cargo area of a plane, I can't imagine that helped his nerves. When the breeder gave him to us (we had bought our other dog from her a year prior), he had diarrhea issues and came to us quite dirty and had several ticks. It took awhile for him to get acclimated to us, but once that period passed he was a part of our family.

He had several different medical issues throughout his life. He had IBS, as he got older his back legs started to give out, he had eye issues, etc. He was such a loving boy though and so loyal. It's hard to describe him really other than you always knew he had your back and he just wanted to be loved. When I went off to college, he used to lay on my bed for hours. In his final months, his health slipped. He was going to the bathroom in the house, sometimes multiple times, his back legs were essentially gone and he had cysts developing. He also began losing weight rapidly, at his healthiest he was almost 70 pounds, and when he passed away he was a little below 48 pounds. On his last day, my mom woke up to him licking up diarrhea in the middle of the carpet and she knew it was time. My mom came in and woke me up in tears saying it was time to put Miller down. I was shocked. While my mom called my dad, she had me take him outside and he immediately had diarrhea again on the sidewalk. It was March and cold outside but, I sat on the edge of the deck in my shirt and basketball shorts. He did this mere inches away from me and I'll never forget the look in his eyes. They just said to me "I'm sorry Ted, I just can't do this anymore." I knew it was time.

We brought him to the vet and we were ushered into the quiet room. I laid down next to him and held him. When they slipped him the sedative he went laid down on his side, his head cradled in my arms. He was so tense and he was shaking, but when they gave him whatever it was that killed him, he eased up. I'll never forget that feeling. My best friend and dog that changed my life died in my arms. I miss him everyday. That day sucked. I remember coming home and decided to go upstairs and grab his blanket from his crate. When I got to his crate, I fell down and just bawled. It's gotten easier, but I'm still not 100%.

Fast forward to this past weekend, my cousin had to put her dog down. She posts several different photos on Facebook of her holding the dog, and the dog is just covered in blood because the cancer in his mouth apparently burst. I'm fine with the photos of her holding the dog, but there were several different poses including putting the dog down and they all seemed so choreographed and posed. It rubbed me the wrong way. I understand wanting some last few photos, I have a pictured of Miller laying dead on the floor of the vet just before we left because he looked so at peace. But to post them on Facebook just seems to be in bad taste, especially with the dog being covered in blood. Let the dog have some final dignity. You wouldn't post pictures of a dying/dead loved one on Facebook in such a sad state, and obviously not drenched in blood. Let some moments be private.

When we put Miller down, I never once felt like turning to my mom and saying: "Are ya getting this?" I know I'm probably just being a dick here and not letting someone grieve the way they want to grieve, it just seemed like something so morbid and private that didn't need to be posted on Facebook. It just seemed like a way to get people's attention. It bothered me mainly because when we put Miller down, I was so focused on him that I find it weird that the first instinct is to snap a bunch of photos of you and the vet putting the dog down and posting it mere minutes after leaving the vet.

EDIT: I should make it clear, I don't have a problem with posting pictures of someone hugging their dog or pet before the vet puts them down or like what gmillerdrake posted. I don't have a problem with that. I just have a problem with posting several different photos of a dog covered in blood, the vet putting the dog down, and several different angles of you crying holding the dog. It's just such a private, raw, and painful moment that I think it's in bad taste to share them on Facebook.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 12:49:19 AM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: January 17, 2019, 04:36:07 AM »
First, dude... so sorry for the loss of Miller. I was nearly in tears reading the first part.  I think most of us know that look in their eyes of "I'm sorry", or "I'm ready".  Breaks my heart just thinking about and remembering it. 

As for your cousin...maybe it's attention seeking; maybe it's just a function of the digital generation.  Not sure if she's the type that is always posting selfies, or pictures of her food or stuff like that - if so, it's obviously just in her nature.   I think you nailed it when you said everyone grieves in their own way.  We may not understand or agree with it, but if it helps her cope with the loss, so be it.  I can certainly understand it being hard for you to see, especially when it is sooo different than how you grieved and coped with your loss.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #377 on: January 17, 2019, 06:18:42 AM »
Sorry about Miller :(

I didn't even tell my best friends for 3 or 4 days when I had to put my first dog down last April, let alone felt the need to share it on social media. I get everyone is different, and perhaps saying goodbye online can somehow aid in the loss process. But the thought of posting pictures of her dead body on FB, regardless of intent, is something I just can't wrap my head around. I don't get it.   

I'm not sure how much of it I can chalk up to grieving. This might sound shitty, and my apologies if this applies to anyone here, but I really do think it's almost always about attention and getting likes. A girl on my FB friends list (31yo) recently posted a photo of her grandfather who died when she was in her mid-teens. She had a long winded (paraphrasing here) "Not a day goes by where I don't think of you, you gave me the courage and strength to become the powerful woman I am today. I've overcome so much and have achieved even more because of you. I have a house, a career, and am traveling the world because of your words of encouragement. Yadi yadi yada". It got over 100 likes, and all I can think of looking at that post is "you just exploited the death of your grandfather, something that happened 15 years ago, to humbly brag about your current position relative to others. I'd disklike this if I could".

Am I an also for thinking this way? I don't know.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 07:33:52 AM by Chino »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: January 17, 2019, 07:44:41 AM »
Sorry for your loss, and I'm with you on the pictures.  I don't want to see blood and stuff, sure that may be the reality but that's a bit much IMO.  Gary's pictures were amazing, perfect gesture.  And sure, not everyone gets that opportunity but some things should just be saved for yourself and loved ones. 

Which kind of reminds me, my grandfather passed away last month and during the wake, my aunt (his daughter) took a picture of the body.  My family kept talking about it the next day and thinking that was really awkward.  I don't think she posted it on facebook, but still was kind of odd.  We asked the guy working in the funeral home and said he's seen people do selfies with the body before and "to each their own" which sure I agree, but the picture taking culture is sometimes too much (and that's saying something coming from me).

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #379 on: January 17, 2019, 07:56:55 AM »
Sorry for your loss, and I'm with you on the pictures.  I don't want to see blood and stuff, sure that may be the reality but that's a bit much IMO.  Gary's pictures were amazing, perfect gesture.  And sure, not everyone gets that opportunity but some things should just be saved for yourself and loved ones. 

Which kind of reminds me, my grandfather passed away last month and during the wake, my aunt (his daughter) took a picture of the body.  My family kept talking about it the next day and thinking that was really awkward.  I don't think she posted it on facebook, but still was kind of odd.  We asked the guy working in the funeral home and said he's seen people do selfies with the body before and "to each their own" which sure I agree, but the picture taking culture is sometimes too much (and that's saying something coming from me).

My grandma took a picture of my grandfather after he died. He spent the last 6 or so years of his life in a lot of pain. A hospital misdiagnosed him and basically killed him slowly over time. His skin and eyes turned yellow, he had to have a tube with a bag catching stuff out of his stomach. He somehow had kidney stones non-stop for his last three years. It was really hard on her. He didn't wan't a wake. He didn't want a funeral. He has no grave. Just an urn in front of his service flag next to my grandmother's bed in her nursing home. I asked my grandmother why she took a picture, and she said it was because she didn't want her last memory of his face to be one of pain and suffering. When he finally died, he looked comfortable for the first time in a long time. She wanted to remember that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: January 17, 2019, 08:33:25 AM »
Gary's pictures were amazing, perfect gesture.  And sure, not everyone gets that opportunity

Thanks Cram. In the case of the couple pics I took of my boy Drake a half hour or so before he left us....I never considered it to be anything other than capturing that moment in time where we had just spent the last hour together just talking...petting...and saying goodbye. He 'told' me everything would be fine....I could see and feel the contentment....and I snapped a couple pics so I can reflect on them from time to time.

Never posted to social media....or in that case....I don't even think anyone other than you guys outside my wife and boys have seen them. This thread seemed like the spot to post them when it happened and when the conversation turned back to it. Never crossed my mind that it was anything other than showing a doggy who had lived a great life and was ready for the next chapter.

As far as the bloody posts and self serving 'memory' posts that have been mentioned......I think that's just a condition of the social media era. It's a simple way to get some attention if that's what your seeking. 

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #381 on: January 17, 2019, 05:39:37 PM »
Like I said, nothing wrong with what you posted, G. The night Miller died, I posted the final picture of me and him before we left on Facebook and just said “I’ll see you again one day, but until then, I’m gonna miss you.” They’re nice moments and should be remembered. My issue was bloody dog pics and a picture of the vet injecting the needle. It just seemed too personal and graphic for a Facebook post.

Truly sorry if you took my initial post as a stab at yours. Just me venting about something in my personal life.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: January 17, 2019, 06:19:42 PM »
Like I said, nothing wrong with what you posted, G. The night Miller died, I posted the final picture of me and him before we left on Facebook and just said “I’ll see you again one day, but until then, I’m gonna miss you.” They’re nice moments and should be remembered. My issue was bloody dog pics and a picture of the vet injecting the needle. It just seemed too personal and graphic for a Facebook post.

Truly sorry if you took my initial post as a stab at yours. Just me venting about something in my personal life.

Oh, I didn’t take it that way at all. I was more or less reinforcing your point of there being a pretty big difference in the style and tone of the pics being taken.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #383 on: January 20, 2019, 02:38:53 PM »
I'd like to thank all of you who offered advice to me following my last post.  We made the decision to put our Blue down this weekend.  We were able to find a vet who provided home euthanasia so everything was very calm and peaceful for our dog.  The range of emotions over the last week or so have been nothing like I've ever experienced and I'm still in the process of working it out.  My wife, bless her heart, was a lot stronger than I was during the whole thing and held Blue through her last breath.  Our son stayed in another room and played with his Grandpa, but I feel he hasn't really let his emotions out so I'm hoping that happens sooner rather than later.

This is my favorite pic of Blue taken in the summer of '12...

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: January 20, 2019, 04:50:00 PM »
Beautiful doggy man.....glad for you and your family that it was calm and peaceful.