Author Topic: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.  (Read 69276 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I love dogs. Lots of people love dogs. Show off your pooch and give us a little back story.

Name: Mia (nicknames include: Puppy, Little One, and Milosh)
Weight: 6.3 pounds
Interests: Finding sun patches throughout the house, staring aimlessly into the backyard, and knitting.

This is not my dog. Her name is Lola and she lives in the neighborhood over. She always brings me gifts. She's a sweetheart, I swear.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 02:06:08 PM »
Dogs are awesome

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 02:11:53 PM »

I miss her  :-[
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 02:13:18 PM »
I hate dogs.  :lokked:

EDIT:  Okay, just kidding.  I just wanted to try to make Kowtowboy like me.  :un-lokked:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:20:43 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 02:23:14 PM »

Name: STELLA
Weight: 45-50 lbs
Breed:  Lab & German Sheppard Mix
Interests: Sleeping, being scratched, treats, and sleeping.

We adopted her 10 years ago, and we think she is 13.  She is now almost completely deaf and is having arthritis issues.  She is a cancer survivor and had a portion of her lower jaw removed, which makes her  tounge hang out all the time.  Thew SWEETEST disposition andsuch a loving and smart dog.  It tears me up inside knowing that our time together may end soon.  :(

Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 02:29:31 PM »
This is Daisy, she's a 9 year old Cockapoo:

This is Dino, he's a 7 year old Cockapoo:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 02:30:49 PM »

EDIT:  Okay, just kidding.  I just wanted to try to make Kowtowboy like me.  :un-lokked:

:lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 02:32:46 PM »

You made me get so pissed off for no reason.  :rollin

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 02:57:03 PM »
Name: Sagan
Weight: 75 lbs
Breed:  1st generation labradoodle. His dad was a chocolate lab, mom a black full size poodle.
Interests: Keep a way, tug-o-war, fetch (in that order), cuddling with pillows, submitting to beloved humans.

A year after the death of our 14 year old Lab-Retriever, the sainted Murphy, we began craving the company of a new best friend. Little did we know that this hyper, intelligent, and needy puppy we adopted would run our life ragged and eat sheet-rock right off the walls. At about six months old, he swallowed a rock and required $3,000 in surgery to get it dislodged from his intestines. I had the rock mounted in a silver setting for Mrs. P and told her it was the most expensive jewelry she would ever receive. Sagan gives plenty of love and fetches the paper from the driveway every morning which is real handy in sub-zero weather.

Yes, he's named after Carl Sagan!  :)
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 05:36:25 PM »

I dig it.

Offline Ħ

"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 06:26:25 PM »
Thank you !!!!!!
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 06:48:55 PM »
I have 5 dogs. 3 Cocker Spaniels and 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. :) I live in a showdog family so that's how it is, heh.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 06:50:11 PM »
Me and 'Drake' of gmillerdrake.

Found him under some rail stairs in a trailer park when he was a small puppy. Probably two or three months old and ive always just assumed he was a Shephard/Lab mix. Dont really know. You could see every bone in his body and to be honest I thought he was dead. He's 13 now, and I think we're in the 'end days' which sucks...

He's a great dog, Awesome with my boys and loyal as the day is long. He has a fairly unique feature in that when we go to the river or creek he puts his entire head below the water I assume to look at things.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Ħ

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 07:00:23 PM »
d'awwwwwwwwwwwwww
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 08:38:51 PM »

*snip*

Found him under some rail stairs in a trailer park when he was a small puppy. Probably two or three months old and ive always just assumed he was a Shephard/Lab mix. Dont really know. You could see every bone in his body and to be honest I thought he was dead. He's 13 now, and I think we're in the 'end days' which sucks...

He's a great dog, Awesome with my boys and loyal as the day is long. He has a fairly unique feature in that when we go to the river or creek he puts his entire head below the water I assume to look at things.

What a big sweetie. I want to hug him, and squeeze him, rub his fur the wrong way and call him George. *spoken in dog-talk*

Good on ya mate!

The dog is cute too!

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 08:40:41 PM »
If you have any affection for dogs, you MUST read A Dog's Purpose and the sequel A Dog's Journey. You will never look at your dog the same way again.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 09:39:46 PM »

*snip*

What a big sweetie. I want to hug him, and squeeze him, rub his fur the wrong way and call him George. *spoken in dog-talk*

Good on ya mate!
The dog is cute too!

Ha! Thanks...he's awesome.

Name: STELLA
Weight: 45-50 lbs
Breed:  Lab & German Sheppard Mix
Interests: Sleeping, being scratched, treats, and sleeping.

We adopted her 10 years ago, and we think she is 13.  She is now almost completely deaf and is having arthritis issues.  She is a cancer survivor and had a portion of her lower jaw removed, which makes her  tounge hang out all the time.  Thew SWEETEST disposition andsuch a loving and smart dog.  It tears me up inside knowing that our time together may end soon.  :(

**snip**

Eric, I'm feeling your pain man. Drake has the hip thing going on with him. Even going up one step is a struggle. It's tough to watch. Other than plain old age, he's doing good health wise. His body is just giving up in him. He's had a few sporadic potty issues....which is annoying more than anything. But hey, he's an old dog.
  I've been real torn about 'when' the right time is to do what is right for both of us. That line is hard to find. I'm trying to balance his quality of life to ours...is he suffering....things like that.

Name: Sagan
Weight: 75 lbs
Breed:  1st generation labradoodle. His dad was a chocolate lab, mom a black full size poodle.
Interests: Keep a way, tug-o-war, fetch (in that order), cuddling with pillows, submitting to beloved humans.

A year after the death of our 14 year old Lab-Retriever, the sainted Murphy, we began craving the company of a new best friend. Little did we know that this hyper, intelligent, and needy puppy we adopted would run our life ragged and eat sheet-rock right off the walls. At about six months old, he swallowed a rock and required $3,000 in surgery to get it dislodged from his intestines. I had the rock mounted in a silver setting for Mrs. P and told her it was the most expensive jewelry she would ever receive. Sagan gives plenty of love and fetches the paper from the driveway every morning which is real handy in sub-zero weather.

**snip**

He looks so shiny! And, like he knows something we don't.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 12:11:35 AM »

The orange one is our Vic (as he was last december). He is the son of one of our other dogs, the lab in that pic is not ours, but she belongs to the son of a farmer up the road. She was a puppy of our lab. Vic likes to chew everything and whenever I come home to my mother's house, tends to piss on my feet if I don't remember to move them out the way.

The orange one here is Grace (Vic's mother). We got her because she's gunshy, and so the game keeper who owned her couldn't use her during shoots (she kept running off). She walks in circles when she's awake (anti-clockwise) due to having lived in a kennel, and then falls asleep pretty much the moment she stops. The black one is Shadow (or puppet/shuppet/give me back the teatowel you little bugger) and is about two. We got her as a puppy in my second year of uni (which is a year I came home for a lot of weekends). She once tried to eat some bongo drums.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 12:21:27 AM »
*snip*

Sweet, I also have a Cockapoo.

10 year old Seneca, the Seneca Dawg from whence my name comes.

Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 07:06:43 AM »
Unfortunately I don't have my own dog yet but until then I have my sisters dog that I meet pretty reguarly. Her name is Lova and is a Bernese mountain dog:

She once was this little furry ball:

and 5 years later she weighs about 40kg (88lb) but she's still the most lovely and wonderful dog you could have.  :heart

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 07:51:21 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 07:09:05 AM »
I've always wanted a beagle or beagle mix of some kind.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 07:41:22 AM »
I have a collie and she behaves at home like a big cat thanks to the guy on my avatar.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 07:48:23 AM »
Unfortunately I don't have my own dog yet but until then I have my sisters dog that I met pretty reguarly. Her name is Lova and is a Bernese mountain dog:

She once was this little furry ball:
*snip*
and 5 years later she weighs about 40kg (88lb) but she's still the most lovely and wonderful dog you could have.  :heart
*snip*

What cute puppy and gorgeous dog. If I weren't done with dogs (as soon as Sagan lives out life), I'd look for one like that.  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 07:51:07 AM »
I like dogs.

A lot of dog owners are another story...:lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 09:52:03 AM »
*snip*

*snip*

I see your's also has a tail.  Did it come from a breeder or just a regular citizen?  We got Daisy from a breeder, her tail was clipped.  Couple of years later we got Dino to keep her company.  He actually came from the same breeder.  We found out a few months after we got Dino that the breeder we got him and Daisy from was under investigation for all kind of animal cruelty violations.  Not too long after that, she was arrested.  From what I heard, it was pretty bad. They found malnourished and physically abused puppies in a house she was renting and using a a puppy mill. She ended up doing some time in jail.  As far as I'm concerned, people who hurt/abuse animals are the scum of the earth.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 09:54:14 AM »
Why do people snip tails?

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 10:00:02 AM »

Horribly, it appears to be merely for aesthetic purposes. I grew up with all manner of Spaniels and I just thought they came with short tails until our Cocker had puppies when I was about 7 years old.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 10:02:42 AM »
*snip*

*snip*

I see your's also has a tail.  Did it come from a breeder or just a regular citizen?  We got Daisy from a breeder, her tail was clipped.  Couple of years later we got Dino to keep her company.  He actually came from the same breeder.  We found out a few months after we got Dino that the breeder we got him and Daisy from was under investigation for all kind of animal cruelty violations.  Not too long after that, she was arrested.  From what I heard, it was pretty bad. They found malnourished and physically abused puppies in a house she was renting and using a a puppy mill. She ended up doing some time in jail.  As far as I'm concerned, people who hurt/abuse animals are the scum of the earth.

got mine from regular folk. I've never understodd snipping tails.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 10:03:33 AM »
Yeah, it's pretty barbaric if you ask me.  They do it with quite a few breeds too.  Some other breeds have tails and ears snipped.  Boxers, for example.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 10:44:10 AM »
Name: MAX
Weight: ~90 lbs
Breed:  Boxer/Lab mix
Interests: Sleeping, crashing hard when he's gonna sleep, running around like a wild animal, being a horse

I've had small dogs my whole life, so I never expected to have a dog like Max.  He's a small horse in size, and he makes horse noises.  I walk him with a choke chain, and the mere premise of not breathing doesn't bother him, he will get to that smell and sniff it.  Every person that sees him has to say hi, and over a dozen have mistaken him for a Rhodesian Ridgeback.  I've had him since he was 3 months old.  He was abandoned at a shelter and we adopted him.  I can't understand how anyone would abandon a dog that awesome.  First pic is him around 4-5 months old, the second is from last week.  His fondness for seemingly uncomfortable positions is stronger than ever.  In case you can't tell in the second pic, his paws aren't touching the ground, he is planking.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 10:50:46 AM »

I have a beagle.  Intelligent as all hell, but also more mischievous than any other animal. Quite a handful.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 10:54:42 AM »

I have a beagle.  Intelligent as all hell, but also more mischievous than any other animal. Quite a handful.

Oh lord, and they howl! Loud as hell for such a small dog. However, there is nothing cuter (and I mean nothing) than a beagle puppy. Nothing, I say!

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 10:59:19 AM »
So much truth has been spoken.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 11:19:27 AM »

In working spaniels, yes. Spaniels normally have stupid tails, and they can get really horribly shredded when they run in and out of bramble bushes all day chasing pheasants.

By which I mean right down to the bone.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D