Author Topic: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.  (Read 70620 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.
« Reply #560 on: February 07, 2022, 10:02:17 AM »
Oh man... I'm so sorry to hear that Gregg.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #561 on: February 07, 2022, 11:43:35 AM »
Yeah, after I posted this morning, Mrs. P sat me down for a long chat. We've decided to schedule an in home consultation with an animal end of life expert to help us access where we're at. We've sent out texts to all the kids that in essence tells them if they want to say goodbye, they should drop by this week.

Yes, he's having some good days, but the bad days are so heart wrenchingly bad that I'm struggling with whether keeping him alive is more cowardice than kindness.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #562 on: February 07, 2022, 03:22:57 PM »
So sorry Podaar.  I've been there and going by what you posted, the expert will most likely say it's time unless there is some kind of other treatment that will help.  :(
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #563 on: February 08, 2022, 05:48:33 AM »
Yeah, after I posted this morning, Mrs. P sat me down for a long chat. We've decided to schedule an in home consultation with an animal end of life expert to help us access where we're at. We've sent out texts to all the kids that in essence tells them if they want to say goodbye, they should drop by this week.

Yes, he's having some good days, but the bad days are so heart wrenchingly bad that I'm struggling with whether keeping him alive is more cowardice than kindness.

:heart :heart Am very sorry Gregg

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: February 08, 2022, 06:09:13 AM »
Thanks, Brain. Considering the last couple of days, it means even more coming from you. I wish we could get together for some bbq, some beers, and some remembrances. Just gonna have to settle for :thursday: :hug:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: February 08, 2022, 12:08:33 PM »
Well, we scheduled an in home visit from the vet for Friday noon. So, that will be it.

Damn, I can't stop the second guessing. Poor Mrs. P. As soon as we hung up from making the appointment, she started asking me if we were doing right by him, and wanted to call back and postpone the appointment for another week. I just had to gently take the phone from her, and hold her. It's going to be some awful, tearful, couple of days.

Fuck...

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: February 08, 2022, 01:00:24 PM »
I'm sorry to hear these things... and sorry for you and your family.  I posted here in 2018 when Maya passed... so you can see that I empathize with you.

I think you'll likely second guess yourself quite a bit, I know I did.  The realization that helped me stop the second guessing was quality of life.  When the bad days become very bad, and the good days few and far between, that's when the quality of life question becomes the deciding factor I think.  For Maya, it was mercifully quick in a way, as she was bleeding from her mouth and couldn't stand at all for more than a few seconds; you guys will have to make a tougher call I think.

As time passes though, you'll only remember the good things/times, and you'll be able to force these bad memories from your mind (the ones you already have, and the one that is coming).  My wife always says that they (dogs) give us uncounted good days, and one truly horrible day (that may be a quote from someone else as well).

I used Andy James' "Gone" to say goodbye to Maya... still struggle a bit when I hear that song.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: February 08, 2022, 02:40:31 PM »
Well, we scheduled an in home visit from the vet for Friday noon. So, that will be it.

Damn, I can't stop the second guessing. Poor Mrs. P. As soon as we hung up from making the appointment, she started asking me if we were doing right by him, and wanted to call back and postpone the appointment for another week. I just had to gently take the phone from her, and hold her. It's going to be some awful, tearful, couple of days.

Fuck...

My heart sank reading this.   :'(

Spoil him rotten.  And give him chocolate on Friday morning.  No one should ever go without ever having tasted chocolate.

Speaking of songs, when we lost our first pet, Green Day's Good Riddance (man what a terrible title!) was the first song on the radio; 2 summer's ago, it was Queen / You're My Best Friend.  No way I'll ever be convinced that either of those were random or coincidence.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #568 on: February 09, 2022, 12:06:18 PM »

Fuck...

Damn. Very sorry to read this, Gregg. Take solace that he will be in a familiar place, with his family, surrounded by all the toys, blankets, and scents he loves, and more head rubs than he'll know what to do with. Don't beat yourself up over not waiting another week  :heart

Big hugs from my way.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: February 09, 2022, 12:25:36 PM »
Thanks guys, it means a lot! Really.  I could say more (there's always more) but this is an appreciation thread. So I'm going to try and keep it that way. I have a cute video (somewhere) of Sagan running around in the snow. I'll try and find it, and share.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: February 09, 2022, 04:56:25 PM »
Here's a few links to Sagan videos to celebrate his life.

https://youtu.be/LNCycLhwhdE
https://youtu.be/lDV5B0FYvX0
https://youtu.be/cxf_GcdPD-A

The second one originally was synced to Led Zeppelin's Black Dog but YouTube flagged it for copyright violation, so I had to strip the music out. That's why it's so silent.

Finding these made me laugh and has healed my heart a little.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #571 on: February 10, 2022, 06:08:20 AM »
 :heart :heart

Offline T-ski

« Reply #572 on: February 10, 2022, 07:47:39 AM »
Love those vids Podaar.

Cherish those good times.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #573 on: June 23, 2022, 08:29:05 AM »
Anyone hear about the Woman in southern California walking her 2 dogs during a thunderstorm and were struck by lightning and killed?  I felt really sorry for the dogs.  :\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #574 on: June 27, 2022, 05:12:00 AM »

Me and my buddy Percy (the pug).

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: June 28, 2022, 05:12:25 AM »
The image didn't load for me :(

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: June 28, 2022, 10:04:44 AM »
The image didn't load for me :(

Same - though I could see it yesterday (though, maybe that was on my iPad)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #577 on: June 29, 2022, 04:56:15 PM »
Damn that's annoying then.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #578 on: August 23, 2022, 01:55:33 AM »
Let's try this again.....

Me and my little Buddy...

Offline T-ski

« Reply #579 on: September 15, 2022, 08:41:51 AM »
Anyone have a dog with gas issues?

Ours has been really gaseous the last couple of months. We haven’t changed food so we don’t think that’s the issue, though it could be. Also, every couple of weeks her belly is very gurgly in the morning and she doesn’t want to eat breakfast,  but by mid day she’s back to her normal self.

Any tips are appreciated.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #580 on: October 07, 2022, 01:14:26 PM »
First....I love dogs. Have always had a dog (or two) wherever I've lived my entire life. They're invaluable companions to any family or individual who cares for them

BUT....no one on this forum can convince me that Pit Bulls and Chows specifically are not predisposed to violence....which is why inevitably you see/read a story of a pit bull/bulls and/or Chows killing their owners or their kids a few times a year. There's one in the news now. I think any family or individual who owns one as a pet is literally risking their lives and the lives of anyone who comes near those dogs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11291751/Mother-fighting-life-kids-mauled-death-two-pet-pit-bulls.html

Not trying to be a dick....but, I don't need to hear the "it's how their raised and/or treated" specifically with those breeds and other breeds like Akita's or Mastif's whose single purpose for being bred and engineered was to/is to fight and kill. It's essentially living with a 'tame' lion or tiger.....they can and will flip at any moment they feel like it no matter how much love you show them. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: October 08, 2022, 04:55:19 AM »
JFC.  Heartbreaking.

And I agree with you Gary.  I just couldn't comprehend having any of those breeds - no matter how well trained they are, their genetically predisposed to aggression and violence, and you never know what might trigger them. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #582 on: October 08, 2022, 10:20:10 AM »
First....I love dogs. Have always had a dog (or two) wherever I've lived my entire life. They're invaluable companions to any family or individual who cares for them

BUT....no one on this forum can convince me that Pit Bulls and Chows specifically are not predisposed to violence....which is why inevitably you see/read a story of a pit bull/bulls and/or Chows killing their owners or their kids a few times a year. There's one in the news now. I think any family or individual who owns one as a pet is literally risking their lives and the lives of anyone who comes near those dogs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11291751/Mother-fighting-life-kids-mauled-death-two-pet-pit-bulls.html

Not trying to be a dick....but, I don't need to hear the "it's how their raised and/or treated" specifically with those breeds and other breeds like Akita's or Mastif's whose single purpose for being bred and engineered was to/is to fight and kill. It's essentially living with a 'tame' lion or tiger.....they can and will flip at any moment they feel like it no matter how much love you show them.

Could not agree more with you.

For years, any defense of the pit bull breed is like white noise to me.  There is no defense of them.  That story is both heartbreaking and infuriating. Those poor children never had a chance thanks to two parents who knowingly brought a dangerous breed into their home.  Just terrible.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: November 11, 2022, 03:08:57 PM »
I love dogs, and I love dogs more than I love cats. My last dog was a Collie I named him Lassie and I loved him dearly, I bad neighbor poisoned him and he died many years ago.

I haven't had a dog ever since, but my kids are asking me for one.

They want an American Bully they look beautiful!

Do any of you have an AB? If so, what's your experience with it?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: March 08, 2023, 09:42:26 AM »
Our new family member:

The kids named him Zeus.

:metal

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #585 on: March 08, 2023, 09:51:21 AM »
Holy cow! What an adorable Dog!!!! Welcome Zeus!!!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline T-ski

« Reply #586 on: March 08, 2023, 10:37:10 AM »
Hello Zeus!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #587 on: March 08, 2023, 10:54:44 AM »
Here's Molly and I watching Jeopardy.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: March 08, 2023, 11:26:02 AM »
Molly doesn't look like she's watching much.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #589 on: March 08, 2023, 04:13:54 PM »
Well, yeah, she usually just stares at me and whatever food I might be eating at the time.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #590 on: June 11, 2023, 07:19:51 PM »
I saw this short tonight and I thought it was awesome!
https://youtube.com/shorts/mBjH5DG19R4?feature=share
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #591 on: June 11, 2023, 07:21:51 PM »
That's so heartwarming. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online frogprog

« Reply #592 on: June 12, 2023, 08:28:59 AM »
It never gets easier. We had to put our boxer Trixie to sleep this past week.
She went down hill so fast, I still can't believe it. I was really hoping she could last until my daughter came home from college in a few weeks but it wasn't meant to be. I'm very sad but I take comfort in the fact that my pal is no longer in pain. Hug your pups :heart

Offline T-ski

« Reply #593 on: June 12, 2023, 11:38:56 AM »
Sorry to hear frogprog.

Online frogprog

« Reply #594 on: June 12, 2023, 01:07:58 PM »
Thanks