Author Topic: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.  (Read 70327 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.
« Reply #490 on: July 31, 2020, 09:09:04 PM »
IF it's an option, take S to a shelter and get the dog that she bonds with. Ideally you'd like her to be fond of the dog before you drop it in her nice, clean house.

What the shelters are doing now, is they get you to look through of the available dogs on their websites and then schedule an appointment to go look at a specific dog. That's what we're doing right now and I've got my eyes on a cool shepard/boxer mix but we're not 100% sure yet.
It's starting to sound like this is going to be a long ass process heh

Cool dogs everybody!
Puppies_On_Acid these two look awesome, I'd take either one of them home without hesitation!
Shepard owners: Is the info here accurate? I'm specifically asking if you really shouldn't allow your Shepard to jump! But generally, the guy is making it sound these dogs are pretty fragile.

Everybody: On average, how much money do you spend on your dog per month? food, medicine, toys, etc.
Check out this website for all the info you need on taking care of a German Shepherd. It was a great source of information (still is) when we first got our Shepherd pup.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #491 on: July 31, 2020, 09:15:49 PM »
I missed the part where you asked about how much we spend per month. We are currently averaging about $200 per month (food, toys, vet bills, grooming, etc.) for our two dogs.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #492 on: August 01, 2020, 05:45:50 AM »
I missed the part where you asked about how much we spend per month. We are currently averaging about $200 per month (food, toys, vet bills, grooming, etc.) for our two dogs.

This seems about right.

It's probably more relevant to think about annual costs, since vet visits aren't monthly, and can run you $300-$500 depending on what you need... same with meds.  We live in an area that requirese year-round tick meds, so it's about $400/year for tick/heart-worm combo.  That doesn't include checkups, blood work, etc...  Food wise, depends what you feed them - dry, or canned... the latter being far more expensive.  My grooming bill is $0, cuz I've always shaved 'em myself.  Portuguese Water Dogs have *hair* though, not fur... so grooming needs to be done 3-4 times per year, and it's probably a lot easier to shave hair vs fur.  Toys really isn't much of an expense.  Get a bunch of things as a puppy, then once they reach adult sized, get some bigger things.  Other than tennis balls, and a new rope, we haven't spent anything on toys in a couple of years.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: August 01, 2020, 07:21:15 AM »
Oh I missed the payment part too.

I have two dogs and looking at my previous year I spent about $4800 on my pets which roughly breaks down to:
- $60 a month for health plans for the dogs, they get their shots, free checkups throughout the year
- $60 every 6-8 weeks for the Yorkie to get groomed, she doesn't shed  so she needs to be groomed
- $100 a months for my german shepherds day camp, he would go once a week when I was working at the office. It'd break up his week where he got to spend the day playing with other dogs
- $70 every 6 weeks on food, my wife plays this and isn't included in the above figure
- The rest is mostly boarding costs. We took some long weekends and a two week long honeymoon. Boarding both dogs costs $60 a night at the place I go to.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: August 03, 2020, 03:52:53 PM »
Thanks a lot for the info guys, that was a lot of help!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #495 on: December 08, 2020, 10:14:34 PM »
Been a rough day. My Australian Shepard was diagnosed with diabetes in January just after turning 10. Up until then, you would have thought he was still a pup with the way he acted.

The last few months he had taken a huge downward turn. Then about 2 weeks ago he came down with anemia. We thought we were going to lose him then but he pulled through and we just kept a tight watch on his blood sugar. He started having more bad days then good. He was not in pain, just lethargic. Then Sunday evening the end started. He was fine all day and then he vomited and became completely lethargic and looked drunk when he tried to walk. He stopped eating and drinking.

This morning my wife and I made the call that it was time. He couldn't really walk anymore and all he wanted to do was lay out in the grass in the sunlight. He knew what the score was and was trying to soak in as much as he could before the end.

We loaded him into the van and me, my wife and 2 kids went to the vet. It wasn't until the vet pronounced him that everyone totally lost it.

We brought him home at 3 months old and he was an amazing part of the family for 11 years. I have never had a dog as smart and loyal as he was. House trained within 3 months of coming home, always listened to our commands, never ran off, never begged for human food. People thought he must have been professionally trained, but no, he was just immensely smart and obedient.

This is going to hurt for some time.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #496 on: December 08, 2020, 11:21:03 PM »
So very sorry to hear this. I know the heartache all too well. Definitely praying for your family that you can find comfort. Take care my man.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #497 on: December 09, 2020, 05:37:39 AM »
Sorry to hear that, brother. Hoping the kids are doing okay (you guys too). *hugs*

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: December 09, 2020, 06:53:53 AM »
Very sorry to hear that Professor.  Never an easy thing losing a family member. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: December 09, 2020, 07:29:53 AM »
My heartfelt sympathies, Prof. I'll be thinking of you, your wife, and kids today. Again, I'm sorry...
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline T-ski

« Reply #500 on: December 09, 2020, 08:13:09 AM »
Very sorry to hear ProfessorPeart.

Our dog is half Australian shepherd and I will attest to the smarts and obedience of the breed.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #501 on: December 09, 2020, 08:17:00 AM »
Wow Prof, that is awful, and I'm very sorry to hear. Not sure how old your kids are but thinking of them for sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #502 on: December 09, 2020, 08:19:32 AM »
So sorry to hear this P-Peart. There is no easy way to lose a loved one. :(

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #503 on: December 09, 2020, 08:23:07 AM »
Thanks everyone. Took me some time to find this thread last night but I knew there was one somewhere where I could vent. There is such a pall over the house right now. When we got home I cleaned his food and water bowls from his area in the kitchen and then placed them right back. My wife and I keep walking into the kitchen and instinctively going to fill the water bowl as it is empty. I did it again this morning.

He left such an impact on us. My Dad even came over yesterday just to say goodbye because he loved him so much, and vice versa. That was like a 60 mile drive one way. My wife is in a weekly support group and they all cried their eyes out last night as they all knew him and he would occasionally get on camera in their Zoom calls.

Yeah, I need to stop. It's hurting again.

Again, I appreciate all the well wishes. You guys are great.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: December 09, 2020, 08:32:25 AM »
 :'(  I'm feeling my heartache a little myself right now.  I always fear what I might be opening up when I see this thread at the top of the GD page.  So sad for all the 'Pearts'.  Please do share some pictures of fond memories when you can.

Yesterday was Chewbacca's 4th birthday.  I'll see if I can snag some pictures from mrs.jingle's phone.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #505 on: December 09, 2020, 10:52:04 AM »
To answer TAC, my kids are 17 and 20. They were 6 and 9 when we got him. My son is on the spectrum so emotion is not something we see much from him. His response was the most jarring. I mean, my Mom died years ago and just a few months back he asked my wife why my Mom doesn't come by anymore.

I knew something was up when he didn't come downstairs all day yesterday. Then my wife brings the kids home some lunch and my son barely eats any of it. Says he did his best. That was not normal. When the vet announced that my dog's heart had stopped my son just exploded. My wife had to grab hold of him and hold him tight as he was sobbing like we had never seen before. Man, this just sucks.

Pic of our Harley at just 3 months old:

Pic from late last year just before the diabetes came on:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: December 09, 2020, 11:40:29 AM »
 :heart

What a beautiful companion. Thank you for sharing the photos, Prof.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #507 on: December 09, 2020, 03:11:54 PM »
To answer TAC, my kids are 17 and 20. They were 6 and 9 when we got him. My son is on the spectrum so emotion is not something we see much from him. His response was the most jarring. I mean, my Mom died years ago and just a few months back he asked my wife why my Mom doesn't come by anymore.

I knew something was up when he didn't come downstairs all day yesterday. Then my wife brings the kids home some lunch and my son barely eats any of it. Says he did his best. That was not normal. When the vet announced that my dog's heart had stopped my son just exploded. My wife had to grab hold of him and hold him tight as he was sobbing like we had never seen before. Man, this just sucks.

I feel for you. We have experience with the spectrum. Even though you can never know how a non spectrum kid feels, it's frustrating and helpless to figure out how a kid on the spectrum is feeling. Gut wrenching, actually.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: December 13, 2020, 06:39:40 AM »
That's devastating Peart. I'm truly sorry for your loss. Harley was a beautiful dog.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: December 30, 2020, 04:37:11 PM »
Dogs of 2020

6 minutes of doggie bliss.  I guarantee a considerable amount of of laughs and d'awwws.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: December 31, 2020, 07:29:59 AM »
That was a fantastic video

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #511 on: December 31, 2020, 08:09:36 AM »
That was a great video!  :tup

When I work from home, I either sit up in the bed or am on the couch with the laptop on a pillow on my lap. My 10lb min-pin will come over and scratch at the laptop trying to get in my lap so I have to lift the up the laptop and pillow, let him crawl in and then proceed to put the pillow on top of him and then the laptop  and go right back to work.

If I need to get up, he gets out of my lap and when I go to sit back down, the process is repeated.

I love working from home!!  :D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: January 01, 2021, 07:58:50 AM »
That's adorable! Man my dog is lazy compared to that dog :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: January 16, 2021, 11:35:28 PM »
Do you guys have medical insurance for your dogs or just pay for the visits as needed?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: January 17, 2021, 04:39:18 AM »
Do you guys have medical insurance for your dogs or just pay for the visits as needed?

Pay as needed.  Pet insurance isn't a big thing up here (as far as I know).  I don't know anyone that has it.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: January 17, 2021, 06:44:08 AM »

No medical insurance for the animals but I do have a wellness plan for both dogs. They get blood work done and 2 comprehensive exams each year. I can also bring them in for whatever issues may come up and they keep them up to date on vaccines. It's about $30 a month each for each dog.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #517 on: January 17, 2021, 07:08:55 PM »

No medical insurance for the animals but I do have a wellness plan for both dogs. They get blood work done and 2 comprehensive exams each year. I can also bring them in for whatever issues may come up and they keep them up to date on vaccines. It's about $30 a month each for each dog.

Wow, that's a good deal! I was looking into a similar plan at my vet last week, and you prepay it at the beginning of the year, and it was $560 a year. One blood sample, one stool sample, one urinalysis, whatever vaccines are due, two "bring him in if you're concerned about anything"s, flea and tick medication, and heart worm medication. I was debating doing it. Norman's comprehensive examine was $477 without the medications.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 04:25:43 PM by Chino »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: January 18, 2021, 06:59:20 AM »
Yea, it's through Banfield at petsmart but my big dog is going to be changed to where he gets boarded for a similar plan, they offer a similar deal.

Banfield isn't where I would bring my dog is anything serious happens but I think the plan is pretty decent.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: January 19, 2021, 06:14:45 AM »
Day off today so I thought I'd do a little more forum reading than I normally might. Stumbled on this thread. Wish I hadn't because ProfessorPeart's posts have broken my bloody heart. I just cannot bear the idea of a dog knowing his final days are with him, and the sense of loss his death then creates for his owner and family. Actually getting a little bit teary as I type this. What a beautiful boy he was. I hope things have become a little easier for you, Professor.

More brightly: we've had our golden retriever (very light sandy finish) for about 18 months now. Hudson, he's called.

Here he is, being active.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 06:57:39 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: January 19, 2021, 08:58:27 PM »
First night home, picked her up at the shelter about 6 hours ago at the scheduled time.

What have I gotten myself into, this is exactly like having baby. I'm such a dumbass for doing this, I've read dozens of articles and done a ton of research, I knew this isn't for me, but I wanted it so bad. I'll give it a 110% for as long as I can but it seems inevitable that I cannot sustain this level of dependence from such a helpless creature /justventing

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: January 19, 2021, 11:27:34 PM »
Aww! Little cutie!

Although I grew up with dogs, Hudson is the first one I've had as an adult. Virtually all of his frustrating puppy phases came and went in just a short couple of weeks each. It felt like they stretched on for months but, in reality, they didn't. Try your best to be patient... you'll pick your way through it :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #523 on: January 20, 2021, 02:29:38 AM »
I love Dogs to no end. I haven't posted here in this thread because I'm still hurting inside since I lost my baby girl a little over a year ago. She was a beautiful Redbone Coonhound and my ultimate best friend. She passed away at only eight years old and it just devastated me, and I still can't get passed it.  I wish I knew how to post a picture of her in this thread then you'd see what I'm talking about.  I feel she got robbed and should have been able to live much longer.  It's a long story about what happened, and I just can't rehash it.  :(

Btw Progmetty,  that's a really cute pup and good on you for rescuing her and giving her an opportunity for a bright future and long life.  You won't regret it.  :heart
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 10:58:03 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #524 on: January 20, 2021, 04:21:25 AM »
Really cute dog Progmetty.  What breed is she?
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.