Author Topic: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.  (Read 69299 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.
« Reply #385 on: January 20, 2019, 07:06:34 PM »
I'd like to thank all of you who offered advice to me following my last post.  We made the decision to put our Blue down this weekend.  We were able to find a vet who provided home euthanasia so everything was very calm and peaceful for our dog.  The range of emotions over the last week or so have been nothing like I've ever experienced and I'm still in the process of working it out.  My wife, bless her heart, was a lot stronger than I was during the whole thing and held Blue through her last breath.  Our son stayed in another room and played with his Grandpa, but I feel he hasn't really let his emotions out so I'm hoping that happens sooner rather than later.

This is my favorite pic of Blue taken in the summer of '12...

It's never easy. Never. But, you were there for her in the end and that's what matters. After Miller died, someone sent me a document called "The 10 Commandments From A Dog's Perspective. Number 10 is:

"Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, “I can’t bear to watch” or “Let it happen in my absence.” Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, regardless of what you do, I will always love you."

And you guys did that, so in the end, she knew you guys loved her and were doing what was best. She passed away in a loving presence.

It's odd what losing a dog does to your emotions. A month before Miller died, my aunt passed away. We were close, but I didn't really cry. Then a month later Miller dies and I'm curled up in a ball in my bed bawling my eyes out into his blanket. If you want to talk, my messages are open. Sometimes it helps to talk.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #386 on: January 21, 2019, 06:04:58 AM »
That's really a great pic. You did right by your pupper, and if Blue could speak human, he'd tank you.

Bro hug.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #387 on: January 21, 2019, 10:58:09 PM »
Did anyone else notice their dog do something that they had never done before or something that seemed odd shortly before they passed on? I'm just wondering because since writing about it on here and I've finally have found the motivation to write about Miller and what he meant to me and his passing and have started looking through more photos, and I keep remembering little moments that seemed insignificant at the time

For me, the last time I let Miller out (I don't count the morning he passed and when I let him out and sat down outside with him, I'm talking last normal outside run), I opened the back porch, which the blinds on the window make noise when you open, and our other dog didn't come running down like she normally would. I thought that was weird. Like I said, he had bad back legs and in the heavy snow, he didn't like spending a lot of time out there if he didn't have to. This time though, in the dark of night, I watched him in the illumination of the motion lights take a long jaunt all the way around the yard. He stopped and sniffed the air and walked back. He had never down that before.

I know most would write that off as him just walking around, but it was out of character for him. And with the events of the next day, I look back on it and feel like he knew the ride was almost over and wanted to enjoy the yard he grew up and played in for 11 years one last time. He never went walked around the yard again that time.

Any one else have a similar experience?

I gotta say, this really helps writing this down. When I get around to writing out a full blog post about him, I'll share it here. I like having a place like this to post about this sort of thing and talk with people.

Here's a picture of me and Miller in November 2017

and another one of just him
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #388 on: January 22, 2019, 04:33:24 AM »
Wow, it sounds to me that your dog Miller knew that his ride was almost over and wanted to take one last stroll down memory lane. I actually got teary eyed when I read your post.

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #389 on: January 22, 2019, 04:47:16 AM »
Miller is absolutely gorgeous.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline T-ski

« Reply #390 on: January 22, 2019, 07:58:33 AM »
Beautiful dog.

I can't recall anything from Blue's last day, although mentally I wasn't really with it. I do recall us letting her have the run of the yard and neighbors yards the last couple of days and she loved every minute of it.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #391 on: January 22, 2019, 08:13:37 AM »
Breaks my heart every time I think of my first dog's last couple days. She had an enlarged heart and it was causing fluid to get into her lungs. She was on a medication that prevented it from happening, but she started acting up one day. I had already moved out and had my own dog (Norman) by this point, so my parents brought her to the animal hospital. Doc thought she would be fine, and she spent 3 days alone in an oxygen chamber, surrounded by machines, and in a room where the lights never shut off. Got the call that she should be put down as her condition passed the point of no return. She spent her last three days in isolation, unable to breathe well, and couldn't sleep because she couldn't lay down. I feel like a wreck just thinking about it. The sound my mom made when the doctor with the stethoscope to Mia's chest said "she's passed" is something that will forever be burned into my memory.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #392 on: January 22, 2019, 08:20:44 AM »
Breaks my heart every time I think of my first dog's last couple days. She had an enlarged heart and it was causing fluid to get into her lungs. She was on a medication that prevented it from happening, but she started acting up one day. I had already moved out and had my own dog (Norman) by this point, so my parents brought her to the animal hospital. Doc thought she would be fine, and she spent 3 days alone in an oxygen chamber, surrounded by machines, and in a room where the lights never shut off. Got the call that she should be put down as her condition passed the point of no return. She spent her last three days in isolation, unable to breathe well, and couldn't sleep because she couldn't lay down. I feel like a wreck just thinking about it. The sound my mom made when the doctor with the stethoscope to Mia's chest said "she's passed" is something that will forever be burned into my memory.

Man...sorry to hear that Brian, that truly is heartbreaking.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: January 24, 2019, 09:14:18 PM »

That's terrible and heartbreaking, poor girl :(

My big goof Murphy has to go to the vet tomorrow. Last week we were at the park and he slipped and fell in a muddy patch. He ran over to me limping a bit and I thought he sprained his paw. Well today I'm walking him and I notice a slight limp, it's barely noticeable. I get him home and take a look at his paw and I think what happened is he got a throne or something stuck in the webbing between his toes. He obviously won't let me look at it for an extended period of time so I'm going to bring him in tomorrow to get it looked at.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #394 on: January 24, 2019, 10:03:52 PM »
Whenever I need to clip my dog's nails, he fights like hell. But if I smear peanut butter in my hand and let him go to town, Victoria can do whatever she wants with his paws and he doesn't flinch. Maybe try that?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: January 25, 2019, 05:05:06 AM »
I tried, no dice. I was able to remove some pieces of whatever is in there and it's not hurting as much in the morning but I just want to make sure it all gets cleared out.

Clipping his nails is pretty easy but I think when I mess with his paw it bothers him a little too much.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #396 on: January 25, 2019, 05:28:43 AM »
Yeah, you don't want something to get stuck under the skin and get infected. The vet's probably a good call.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #397 on: January 26, 2019, 08:48:29 PM »
:(

The isolation makes me tear up. I'm sorry to hear that.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #398 on: January 28, 2019, 03:06:14 PM »
I broke up with my gf 5 months ago and I actually miss her dogs more because dogs are decent people.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #399 on: January 28, 2019, 06:07:41 PM »
I hear that.

Was looking through some old pics of Norman. I miss summer.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #400 on: January 28, 2019, 07:54:03 PM »
That picture makes me miss summer. And BBQ. Good thing I'm in Nashville next week

For the current season
Here's a picture of our Australian Shepherd, Foster wearing my winter hat last year

Foster and Miller in 2017, posing for their post rock band

God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #401 on: January 28, 2019, 08:13:05 PM »
The dogs look like they're too cool to care they're on an album cover. Norman is all about winter gear. He can't wait to get this thing on.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #402 on: January 29, 2019, 07:31:57 PM »
That's a cute picture! He can really pull that off. I wish Foster wore more sweaters in winter, she can't stand them. My brother's dog wears one fairly regularly. Miller had a Christmas sweater than he loved.

That was the last time he wore it, I feel bad about that. There was a cold spell shortly before he passed, in which he would have loved to have worn that. I just kinda forgot about it. Not to drag this thread down again, but at Christmas time, I laid his ash box on top of the sweater, to brighten the shelf that he resides on now.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: February 21, 2019, 09:19:41 AM »
School was called off yesterday due to a bit of ice and snow overnight on Tuesday....so....my middle son who has a Youtube channel he uploads mostly silly videos to.....made a video to celebrate National Love your pet day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucG6ByVicgQ

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: February 26, 2019, 08:57:10 AM »
Awesome!  My dogs love all those things too... plus LICKING stuff.  Licking is their favorite!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: February 26, 2019, 09:45:24 AM »
School was called off yesterday due to a bit of ice and snow overnight on Tuesday....so....my middle son who has a Youtube channel he uploads mostly silly videos to.....made a video to celebrate National Love your pet day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucG6ByVicgQ

Nice

and so this story is not a very happy one, at all, but my brother in law does home contract work and I only heard this story from my mother so details are light but the gist of the story is that he was working at someones house and left their back fence door open.  The family there had two dogs and both ran off the property.  They went out searching to find the dogs and found both dead on the side of the road.  Of course the family is pissed, they are trying to sue my brother in law now.  Sounds like he might be fucked because my mom thinks there was a sign to keep the door closed too.  So damn sad and unfortunate.  I feel bad for the family to lose their pets like that and while it sounds like a major screw up for my brother in law, I do feel really bad that things went that way for him especially since him and my sister aren't very good financially, that's really got to hurt.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: February 26, 2019, 10:29:19 AM »
and so this story is not a very happy one, at all, but my brother in law does home contract work and I only heard this story from my mother so details are light but the gist of the story is that he was working at someones house and left their back fence door open.  The family there had two dogs and both ran off the property.  They went out searching to find the dogs and found both dead on the side of the road.  Of course the family is pissed, they are trying to sue my brother in law now.  Sounds like he might be fucked because my mom thinks there was a sign to keep the door closed too.  So damn sad and unfortunate.  I feel bad for the family to lose their pets like that and while it sounds like a major screw up for my brother in law, I do feel really bad that things went that way for him especially since him and my sister aren't very good financially, that's really got to hurt.

That freaking sucks. Although I wonder if they have any real 'legal' ground to stand on? I mean, if you're having construction or work done on your house and you know that there will be a lot of 'in and out' on your property.....and you really care for your dogs safety or the safety of the workers.....wouldn't you either kennel your dogs or put them in a basement...something other than let them run around? I don't know....it totally sucks for them that happened to their beloved dogs but I can't see how 100% of the blame falls on your bro in law.

My office partner's wife hired a kid and his mom that promoted 'dog walking services' on their subdivision Facebook page...to walk their dog last month. The dog got free from the kids grip and ran into the street and was killed. It was horrible for them but he's never once mentioned suing the kid or his mom.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #407 on: February 26, 2019, 10:31:42 AM »
Damn. Yeah, if I ever have anything done on my house, my animals are quarantined far from any point of entry. I typically lock them in the attic.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: February 26, 2019, 11:02:12 AM »
Yeah... that's a terrible situation Brian, but I don't quite think that 'Keep Door Closed' sign constitutes legal responsibility to keep the dogs safe.

I'm sure the anguish he feels is sufficient enough suffering  :'(.  Sorry to say this, but the "sue me" culture that I perceive exists in the US is just awful.  It's not like the money will bring the animals back, and only brings about financial suffering for your BiL.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #409 on: February 26, 2019, 11:24:28 AM »
This must be a really terrifying thing to witness and bear the brunt of the aftermath.  I don't know if this would lift anyone's spirits, but here's our Corgi chewing on his bone in a gif that my sister messaged me.  Sadly, I can't see him every day ever since me and my parents moved to the OC while my sister, her husband, and our dog resides in San Dimas with her husband's parents.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #410 on: February 26, 2019, 11:52:38 AM »
Yeah... that's a terrible situation Brian, but I don't quite think that 'Keep Door Closed' sign constitutes legal responsibility to keep the dogs safe.

I'm sure the anguish he feels is sufficient enough suffering  :'(.  Sorry to say this, but the "sue me" culture that I perceive exists in the US is just awful.  It's not like the money will bring the animals back, and only brings about financial suffering for your BiL.

Neither do I. I'd place 100% of that blame on the homeowners. If I'm a contractor, you're hiring me to fix/modify something without fucking up your home. I'm not a pet babysitter.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #411 on: April 13, 2019, 04:50:49 PM »
Can you imagine walking in a snowy forest and suddenly you hear a horde coming towards you and you freeze up thinking the worst but it turns out to be 20 of these fluffy things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_BxTBQnUKQ&feature=youtu.be

:heart :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: April 13, 2019, 06:31:56 PM »
It’s an attack pack of big sweeties!  :metal  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: April 15, 2019, 07:24:27 AM »
Here's my gang.

Offline Dreamdrummer

« Reply #414 on: April 16, 2019, 06:14:33 AM »
Last November we had to put down our old Golden Retriever.
His name was Denver and he was 12 years old.
It was a friday evening. He was laying in the middle of the living room.
My wife said to him: "Denver, come lay with us at the fireplace!" (his favorite spot)
But he didn't responded. He couldn't get up on his feet anymore.
So we called the vet.
She came in the room and Denver did not even lift his head to see who was coming in.
She kneeled down to examine him, and then gave us a look like "nothing to save here".
He probably had some internal bleeding. He was old and he had given up.
So we had to say goodbye and let him go. It was so emotional.

The hardest part was the next morning.
We had to tell our son (5yo) that his best friend was gone...
So when he was awake, he came into our bedroom, like every morning.
Except this time, we already were awake and in tears.
So he asked us, why we were sad.
We told him why... and for a moment he did not respond.
Then he layed down, cuddled up against us and he started to cry for the next 15 minutes.
(I have watery eyes just typing this)

It was tough in him and on us.
We will never forget our Denver.

Dog-lovers as we are, we recently start looking for a new dog.
Hopefully, within a few weeks we are getting a puppy.

It's a Boulab, a mix of Berner Sennen and Labrador.

Looking forward to this very much !

Drums - Music - Faith - Hope - Love - Tattoos - Learning To Live

Offline T-ski

« Reply #415 on: April 16, 2019, 03:10:35 PM »
Dreamdrummer....sorry for your loss.  there is never a good time to say goodbye to a pet.

After putting our dog down in January, we have started looking for a new one and have a meeting set up Thursday with a rescue shelter in the area.  She's a red heeler mix approx. 2-3 years old (came from a high kill shelter in Texas up to Wisconsin). If everything goes well we'll have a new family member this weekend.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #416 on: April 19, 2019, 10:08:57 AM »
Its official, we have a new family member!

Everyone please meet Ruby.  Per my last post, she was rescued from a high kill shelter in Texas at the beginning of the year and brought up to Wisconsin.  Unbeknownst to the rescue organization she was pregnant and gave birth to 11 puppies in February, all of which I will add have been adopted as well.  Ruby, who is a red heeler mix is named in honor of our last dog Blue, who happened to be a blue heeler mix.  She's had an anxious past 24 hours but is adjusting to our family better than would could have hoped.  We'll just let her rest for now.....

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #417 on: April 19, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »
She's got a cool coat on her! My buddy has two cattle dogs with very similar color schemes. How old?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #418 on: April 19, 2019, 11:53:25 AM »
She's got a cool coat on her! My buddy has two cattle dogs with very similar color schemes. How old?

came without any papers, the guess is between 2-3.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #419 on: April 22, 2019, 07:09:27 AM »
so after a full weekend with our new Ruby we are learning a lot about her behavior and some of it isn't good. 

I'll give you her background as well as we know it.  According to her information package she was picked up as a stray in Texas and taken to a shelter, was rescued from an organization here in Wisconsin at the beginning of 2019, and had puppies at the end of February.  She was staying with a foster family who have two small children the entire time while in Wisconsin. the dog absolutely loved the foster family's kids and that has carried over to our son as well.  All of the dogs behavior inside the home is better than we had hoped, no accidents, obedient and loving.  It's outside the home we are experiencing difficulties.

Every sound, movement, etc and the dog goes into high alert mode.  she is barking at the neighbors, mostly male rather than female, when they come outside, growling at other dogs on walks, and chasing squirrels and birds. Our best guess is while she was a stray she was in complete defense and survival mode.  She also tends to react better to correction on the leash better while I'm in charge and less so for my wife.

if anyone has any tips on how to defuse these situations we are open to suggestions.